• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol story DLC "Final Transmission" comes 27th June

This game is awesome! Any horror fan would love this , I could barely advance in the game because of the screenshot mode ! The gore is fucking great! If you go in thinking it's just a shooter like Dead space you'll be disapointed because melee is involved! 9/10 game and I don't give 2shits what people say!

This is kinda my thoughts too. I've been playing both this and Dead Space Remake this week and the combat in both games is about on the same level. People act like Callistos is so much worse but it's really not.

The dodge mechanic is strange tho in its implementation. It literally doesn't matter which direction you press at the start. Maybe if the action slowed down as the enemy starts his first swing and we have to read the direction and dodge accordingly it could've been better.

Even still it's not bad and adds to how visceral things are.

The graphics, sound and atmosphere are awesome.

This is kinda my thoughts too. I've been playing both this and Dead Space Remake this week and the combat in both games is about on the same level. People act like Callistos is so much worse but it's really not.

The dodge mechanic is strange tho in its implementation. It literally doesn't matter which direction you press at the start. Maybe if the action slowed down as the enemy starts his first swing and we have to read the direction and dodge accordingly it could've been better.

Even still it's not bad and adds to how visceral things are.

The graphics, sound and atmosphere are awesome.
Yeah exactly! I think by adding melee it adds to the game , it doesn't feel like just a shooter , yeah of course you get locked on and all you do is left, right , etc but I think it feels satisfying to hit them ! The sounds makes it so

Filben

Watched the trailer. Was underwhelmed but not surprised. The body horror and gore factor gets old real quick and the only non-quick-time action was again a small alley way with enemies coming left and right. Too scripted, too few options for my taste these days.

solidus12

So I just started my first playthrough of the base game. Did people really have trouble with the combat mechanics?

Seems pretty easy to get into the combat loop.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
So I just started my first playthrough of the base game. Did people really have trouble with the combat mechanics?

Seems pretty easy to get into the combat loop.

Keep playing. There will come a time when you will realize that it's not so much that the combat mechanics are bad but that they are not suited for many of game's action segments. It's like the combat and game designers were in two different worlds.

You will be frustrated as you will die because the mechanics are such and not because of your own fault. You would want to throw the controller and yell 'what the fuck is this garbage' at the game multiple times.

Karppuuna

It took me 6h hour to beat this game, and ending was cliffhanger, and now they are selling DLC to finish the story.

solidus12

Keep playing. There will come a time when you will realize that it's not so much that the combat mechanics are bad but that they are not suited for many of game's action segments. It's like the combat and game designers were in two different worlds.

You will be frustrated as you will die because the mechanics are such and not because of your own fault. You would want to throw the controller and yell 'what the fuck is this garbage' at the game multiple times.
Just reached the sewers, right after the SHU.
I like the glove, very reminiscent of Dead Space.

+ the auto aim right after a combo seems fun.

Stratostar

Roughly halfway through the Final Transmission. It picks up right where the base game ended. So far it’s just more of the same gameplay loop, which I find enjoyable enough but this is undeniably what should have been the final chapter of the base campaign.
Still, I’m hoping this isn’t the last we’ll see of this IP. I enjoyed my time in this universe and would def buy a sequel built for current gen hardware.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
From what I've read, even the DLC ends with a cliffhanger.
Yup. There's a few reviews already up on YT and they also confirm this.

The DLC is just 2 hours long and not at all different in terms of designg etc. in comparison to the base game. There's a hammer, but that's it, nothing else new in this DLC. Given that it ends on another cliffhanger, you'd think that they really commited to make a sequel, but I just don't think it'll ever happen + I don't trust them to make a much better game in terms of designt etc. next time. I hope I'm wrong, cuz the concept is great, it's just lacks proper execution it deserves.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Eiknarf

No

Wait, guys, what “cliffhanger”?

It ends. It’s finite.

Jacob is basically dead. He was limbless and strung up the whole time!! It’s clear as day!

They put a nail in coffin of there ever being a PART 2 (with Jacob/josh Duhamel at least)

That’s why I said if there is a part 2 we should play as Dani. Kinda like what The Last of Us 2 did

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Yup. There's a few reviews already up on YT and they also confirm this.

The DLC is just 2 hours long and not at all different in terms of designg etc. in comparison to the base game. There's a hammer, but that's it, nothing else new in this DLC. Given that it ends on another cliffhanger, you'd think that they really commited to make a sequel, but I just don't think it'll ever happen + I don't trust them to make a much better game in terms of designt etc. next time. I hope I'm wrong, cuz the concept is great, it's just lacks proper execution it deserve
But to me there's no cliffhanger.

At the end you discover that the
entire DLC was a fever-dream/imagination
. You learn that Jacob
got mauled at the end of the main game and lost all his limbs: Both arms and both legs. You can't play as him again

So IF there's a part 2, the only thing that would make sense would be
if we played as Dani.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I like the game despite its flaws. But surely there can't be anyone out there ACTUALLY invested in the MC of this game? He can be replaced by anyone. Also the story can continue through Karen Fukuhara. Gamers really cannot handle what the ending of this DLC does, it was really phoned in. DLC was an asset flip quick cash in closure but I don't feel robbed because they've added a lot of things since I played it in December.

It's such a shame and a slap in the face how this final piece of story dlc is so short and phoned in! This could've really salvaged this games reputation amd left people feeling good about our purchase but instead seems to do the opposite.

RagnarokIV

Bought base game on sale. haven't tried it yet but tweaked some settings and run benchmark.

Is it me - or is FSR 2 absolute SHIT? Makes stuff look jaggy and garage. Shame there's no DLSS.

Valt7786

Did you see her review of the actual game, this take doesn't surprise me.
I'm more surprised at the effort they put into bagging on the game.
It's as if Glen Schofield said something they didn't like.

Has Glen Schofield said anything that could be considered "anti-trans?" 'Cause that'd do it.

RagnarokIV

Has Glen Schofield said anything that could be considered "anti-trans?" 'Cause that'd do it.
He basically said about his dev team doing crunch "you do it coz ya luv it" and yikes y'all, this is problematic . literraly shaking rn. We need to talk about Glen Schofield. Do better etc.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Did you see her review of the actual game, this take doesn't surprise me.
I'm more surprised at the effort they put into bagging on the game.
It's as if Glen Schofield said something they didn't like.
She isn't entirely wrong, I like the game and usually Sphere Hunter has some extremely bad opinions.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He criticise people complaining about "crunch"
Here is what he said
"We are working 6-7 days a week, nobody's forcing us. Exhaustion, tired, Covid but we're working," Schofield's tweet read. "Bugs, glitches, perf fixes. 1 last pass through audio. 12-15hr days. This is gaming. Hard work. Lunch, dinner working. You do it 'cause you love it."
Literally the week after people was saying the game looks bad, terrible, etc
And this continued up until release.
I mean come on, they had articles up declaring it was a failure only 3 weeks after it release with 2 million sales.
This isn't Sony's, MS, or any other companies flagship IP.
it just a new IP and it did 2million at launch
I understand what they saying regarding its budget.
But jumping on it after only 3 weeks and a sell through of 2 million for a new IP is a bit premature and bit bit odd

Eiknarf

He criticise people complaining about "crunch"
Here is what he said

Literally the week after people was saying the game looks bad, terrible, etc
And this continued up until release.
I mean come on, they had articles up declaring it was a failure only 3 weeks after it release with 2 million sales.
This isn't Sony's, MS, or any other companies flagship IP.
it just a new IP and it did 2million at launch
I understand what they saying regarding its budget.
But jumping on it after only 3 weeks and a sell through of 2 million for a new IP is a bit premature and bit bit odd
Interesting and good to know

Hey, when I’m done with my second play through of Dead Island 2, I’m gonna play through the full Callisto and the DLC again.

Calisto protocol was 15, - euro a couple of weeks ago. I passed. Scifi or not I like logic in my entertainment and this game hasn't got any.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I youtube'd the cut-scenes and ending for the DLC, and I agree with the reviews saying its crap, lol.

Hopefully this is not how the Callisto Protocol IP dies.

rapid32.5

This game should have been the next dead space. Instead it’s a waste of SSD space……
Care to elaborate? I’m about 70% through the main game don't get why the hate.
I get good vibes from Callisto, it’s a fusion of Alien Isolation, Dead Space, and the Thing. I played through every Dead Space game and had enough of the same formula. Dead Space 4 with prettier graphics wouldn’t make the same impact as it did in 2009. People need to let it go, Callisto isn't Dead Space 4.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Care to elaborate? I’m about 70% through the main game don't get why the hate.
I get good vibes from Callisto, it’s a fusion of Alien Isolation, Dead Space, and the Thing. I played through every Dead Space game and had enough of the same formula. Dead Space 4 with prettier graphics wouldn’t make the same impact as it did in 2009. People need to let it go, Callisto isn't Dead Space 4.

Not person you quoted but here's my small review

The Good:
- Graphics are amazing
- Voice acting is really good
- Sound design is solid
- Art direction is very good (creatures and some environments were top notch)
- Story is fine
- First half of the game is pretty fun (although my main complaint still stands for this part of the game as well)

The Bad:
My biggest complaint and #1 reason why I will not buy this on PC to play ever again
- The crawling through vents, the shimmying through tight spots, the forced walking for NO reason. Like you can be running and then you're literally walking for no reason at all, no talking is happening, no muck on the ground, it just decided you needed to walk (I guess it's loading? which shouldn't be an issue with PS5's nvme drive). The chapters "Below" and "Colony" were absolutely awful. Tons of forced walking, shimmying, tons of crouching/stealthing. Straight up destroyed the pacing of the game.
- Enemy types, barely any. They all fight the same, the strategy never changes, and it's just not that fun to fight them. You either have single/double/triple attackers then you bash them and shoot when it tells you. It's repetitive as hell. One mini boss that's just as easy as any other enemy that they recycle 3 or 4 times. And a main boss that wasn't very threatening either.

5/10

That being said, I would love to see what they would do for a sequel. The groundwork has been laid, but I don't know how bad the game did sales wise or if there is even enough interest for a sequel. Some straight up baffling design choices that I can't believe got the greenlight, ruined this game (performance on PC was brutal as well I heard, especially at launch).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I started the DLC. The combat was all over the place. After I finished it I played X amount of games and the Dead Space Remake. After RE4, Zelda, Diablo and FF I booted this game up again. The combat doesn’t feel smooth. The camera is all over the place, guns feel like they take forever to manage, and you’re just thrown whatever enemy can come out of nowhere. I uninstalled it. Id rather have sweet dreams of Dead Space 1 & 2.

Sleepwalker

I dropped this game at this part

After the guy who helps you escape dies and you reach a place where theres a security guard trapped in a building who wants you to help him and its snowing

I just wanna beat the damn thing but keep putting it off, hopefully im not too far away from the end?

rapid32.5

After the guy who helps you escape dies and you reach a place where theres a security guard trapped in a building who wants you to help him and its snowing

I just wanna beat the damn thing but keep putting it off, hopefully im not too far away from the end?
Use explosive canisters laying around , you can kill 2-3 enemies at once with the right aiming and timing.

Last edited:

KillaJamm

I'd say your just about over half way? And as someone else stated, there are loads of explosive canisters around you, use them, it helps a lot.

Top Bottom