• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol story DLC "Final Transmission" comes 27th June

FeralEcho

God, this game was dreadful. This is the result of gameplay being an afterthought.

Instead of buying this game or DLC, just put that money towards dead space.
People who say this must've played this game as a shooter like Dead Space....hint: it's not a shooter!

Stop playing it wrong and maybe you won't suck so much at it.

In regards to the DLC I thoroughly enjoyed the game so I'll get the dlc but probably not on release as I'm busy between Diablo 4 FFXVI and TOTK I have enough stuff to keep me occupied for a couple months.

drotahorror

People who say this must've played this game as a shooter like Dead Space....hint: it's not a shooter!

In regards to the DLC I thoroughly enjoyed the game so I'll get the dlc but probably not on release as I'm busy between Diablo 4 FFXVI and TOTK I have enough stuff to keep me occupied for a couple months.

Dude the combat sucks. Dodge, melee auto aim shoot at weak point. It was insanely repetitive but could feel pretty satisfying sometimes. Game was not hard at all.

Imo the worst part of the game is the pacing and all those crawling through vent, shimmying through crevices, etc. I really wonder what your time spent doing that was. It was very high I assume.

fatmarco

I've bought the season pass as it's half price at the moment which is nice of them.

Callisto was a weird game that was appreciably ambitious, but also annoyingly unambitious at the same time. I just honestly feel that, outside of its limited combat system, the game really didn't have an interesting enough lore or world building to get its hooks into you. Dead Space had great lore, intrigue and mystery from the jump for comparison.

I do hope they make a sequel or continue making big budget games though.

Eiknarf

I agree

The thing about people comparing this to Dead Space is: DONT DO IT!!

Just because one of the developers of Dead Space also made Callisto Protocol doesn’t mean jack-shit! If anything, the melee combat and shooting in the Callisto Protocol has more in common with The Last of Us. Why? How? Because you can do both and have a good time. You can dodge, and you can bash/smash.

The melee combat in Dead Space is God-awful. And dodging is nonexistent. So why is ok for Dead Space to have two major flaws??

Yet I still praise Dead Space. It’s a near perfect game. But so is Callisto (but for different reasons).

(Keep in mind, I didn't play Callisto at launch. I waited four months... after patches.)

We can like both. I just happened to like the Callisto Protocol a little better.

Last edited:
I mostly liked this game but then Dead Space Remake came along and made me realise just how flawed the game was. The game's melee-focused combat for the first half of the game felt like a bit of a mis-step and there was a real lack of attention to background details about the universe this game was set in and the characters. The characters were all very two-dimensional and no attempt was made to make the main protagonist interesting or even likeable. It was in many ways a pale imitation of Dead Space.

It certainly looks impressive visually though but performance is not great even on PC due to the usual poor CPU ultilisation with ray-tracing enabled.. And being AMD sponsored *spits in disgust* means that it is missing DLSS/XeSS and DLSS3 Frame Generation support.

Not sure I will bother with the DLC unless it enhances or improves the core gameplay in some way. And even then I think I will wait until it is cheap in a Steam Sale before committing...

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
48-hour exclusive dlc, what the fuck. Some idiot probably convinced Sony management to actually spend money on this deal, lmao.

7a2.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
Playing the game with a mix of melee, guns, and the GRP is what makes if fun. I feel most people focused too much on melee in some aspects and guns in others. You have to mix it up.

I remember people complaining about the melee and getting swarmed by lots of enemies, and after completing the game, all I can think is "wtf were these people doing?"

5 Enemies in a room? GRP the first two into environmental kills, blast the next two, and melee the last. There's many times you can clear an encounter with just the GRP and it's satisfying as hell.

Was a great game and a cool new ip. Will get this dlc.

Its a new single player horror game and a new ip. Something we don't get anymore,
yet there seems to be some on here and elsewhere who were hell bent on hating this game.

It's sad as it is a great looking and playing game. It has atmosphere. They are mad its not open world, or mad it's not woke, or mad that its linear, mad that sony had helped or just don't get the combat, or mad about something...
They really had it out for this game, and its sad. Yet the same people weren't showing similar issues with the dead space remake which had so much changes for "modern audiences", silent on big EA. why?

Does it have some problems? sure, but its a new AAA IP, in the horror genre, something we don't get anymore.
People don't understand, that if this game didn't get sales we won't get a sequel. You can have criticize but to outright say the game sucks and write the whole thing off is kinda nuts.
This game needs the support of people who like the genre or we will start to not get more new games or a sequel with better exploration and combat.

So yeah, I will buy the DLC. I liked the original game. It could of used more exploration, but I didn't have issues with the combat or enemies like some did. It felt focused and the graphics, and sound were amazing.

Playing the game with a mix of melee, guns, and the GRP is what makes if fun. I feel most people focused too much on melee in some aspects and guns in others. You have to mix it up.

I remember people complaining about the melee and getting swarmed by lots of enemies, and after completing the game, all I can think is "wtf were these people doing?"

5 Enemies in a room? GRP the first two into environmental kills, blast the next two, and melee the last. There's many times you can clear an encounter with just the GRP and it's satisfying as hell.
My thoughts exactly. Their negativity was so harsh. It didn't help that "influencers" on youtube and other places were then dogpiling on the hate train. Sucks as we don't get new ips much anymore, especially not atmospheric horror games.

I never had issues with the combat, as like you said you mix it up, use the environment. I loved shoving enemies into shredders or what not. It was great. I also liked the sense of mystery. You had no idea why what was happening was happening through most of the game

God, this game was dreadful. This is the result of gameplay being an afterthought.

Instead of buying this game or DLC, just put that money towards dead space.
yes just support woke remakes and big company ea. poppa ea is best, they aren't killing our childhood games, just making them better by killing studios and holding ips hostage. Ea needs all the support they can get....

What... really. come on now. (which sucks as I really wanted a dead space remake, but will wait until its super cheap. EA doesn't deserve it for the changes they made, and F EA!)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What did you think of the main game? Just got digitally, haven’t started it yet.

I made the mistake of playing Dead Space first…

It's flawed, and despite me playing a multi-patched game, it was buggy. I rented the game so it didn't bother me much about spending full price on it but might check it out again if it goes on a deep sale or comes to either consoles sub service.

I imagine it's in a much better state than the launch window now.

But yeah, I also thought Dead Space was much better.

It’s not available until tomorrow

Oh, I thought the PS5 version was already out and other versions were 2 days later.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

It's flawed, and despite me playing a multi-patched game, it was buggy. I rented the game so it didn't bother me much about spending full price on it but might check it out again if it goes on a deep sale or comes to either consoles sub service.

I imagine it's in a much better state than the launch window now.

But yeah, I also thought Dead Space was much better.

Oh, I thought the PS5 version was already out and other versions were 2 days later.
June 27 for PlayStation owners (June 29 for Xbox and PC owners)

K' Dash

I'll bite, I liked the game a lot, it sure has it's flaws but great for first attempt. I hope they can make a sequel and improve on the first game, I see lots of potential.

stn

I enjoyed the game but there were a few parts that were pure hell and extremely frustrating. I heard that they made some fixes, but generally speaking the combat is really annoying once you are facing more than one enemy.

Eiknarf

I enjoyed the game but there were a few parts that were pure hell and extremely frustrating. I heard that they made some fixes, but generally speaking the combat is really annoying once you are facing more than one enemy.
That was apparently, definitely the case at launch. But they’ve fixed that with the patches. And that’s when I bought it: after the patches .. and rest assured, the enemies no longer attack you at the same time. The others will kinda “stand by” next to ya as you’re combating one.

Not only did they fix that, they increased the gun reload speed and change weapon speed

So I stand by you if you bought this at launch and didn’t like it. A bad first impression is a real thing.

But for anyone who tries it now and still thinks it’s bad and can convince me that it’s bad, then I will buy you the game of your choice.

Last edited:

stn

That was apparently, definitely the case at launch. But they’ve fixed that with the patches. And that’s when I bought it: after the patches .. and rest assured, the enemies no longer attack you at the same time. The others will kinda “stand by” next to ya as you’re combating one.

Not only did they fix that, they increased the gun reload speed and change weapon speed

So I stand by you if you bought this at launch and didn’t like it. A bad first impression is a real thing.

But for anyone who tries it now and still thinks it’s bad and can convince me that it’s bad, then I will buy you the game of your choice.
Good to know, I think I beat it before the patches released. Eventually I'll get back into it to play the DLC and also 100% the achievements. I kept my copy because I enjoyed the game even in its pre-patch state (though the boss fights really pissed me off).

Bartski

Gold Member

simpatico

What about Dead Space?
I liked de-limbing enemies in Dead Space. Callisto had a lot of the same melee encounters. Hit, dodge, hit dodge, with very little variation. It might be for someone, it's just not for me. Wish I could transplant the Dead Space combat into it.

Eiknarf

I liked de-limbing enemies in Dead Space. Callisto had a lot of the same melee encounters. Hit, dodge, hit dodge, with very little variation. It might be for someone, it's just not for me. Wish I could transplant the Dead Space combat into it.
But what Dead Space combat?

When you say, “combat”, I think “melee combat”, which Dead Space does not really have. It has some swiping motion that you all admit is terrible.
There’s no stealth takedowns in Dead Space either. Dead Space is exclusively a shooter. A ranged weapon shooter. And it does that phenomenally. But I want MORE than a shooter. And if you just want a shooter, then go play Sniper Elite 5

Callisto Protocol does all three: melee combat, stealth takedowns, and ranged weapons. And it does all three really well.

So here’s a breakdown for all of you

Dead Space melee combat:
4 out of ten
Dead Space ranged weapon combat:
10 out of ten
(for a total of 14 out of 20)

Callisto Protocol melee Combat
(which includes stealth takedowns):
7 out of ten
Callisto Protocol ranged weapon combat:
(which includes GRP telekinesis, which allows you to pick up and launch things )
9 out of ten
(For a total of 16 out of 20)

The Callisto Protocol wins

Last edited:

Stratostar

Finished the game this month for the first time and enjoyed it (PS5).
Excellent sound design and DualSense haptics, very immersive with headphones. Great visuals in both performance and fidelity mode. While obviously not exactly the same, gameplay is indeed very similar to Dead Space. Not sure why some people act like that's not the case or that it's a bad thing, the game was made by former DS devs, after all. To me the game felt like one big love letter to Dead Space fans. Other gameplay aspects such as the stealth sections in particular are reminiscent of The Last of Us. The main character, Jacob, handles similarly to Joel from TLOU, right down to his jogging animation and melee/stealth attacks.
I found the story reasonably engaging. Nothing mind-blowing but the setting on Jupiter's moon is cool. The cast of characters is small but the facial animation, models and skin rendering are up there with the best I've seen yet this gen.
Overall it's an impressive first game from a new studio, but it doesn't get everything right. Bosses and certain sections can be a bit frustrating at first, and the combat can occasionally feel a little wonky when dealing with multiple enemies. Also worth noting that the game does feel decidedly cross-gen. I didn't mind that personally, but the semi-frequent "shimmying" and vent crawling might be bothersome to some people.

If you're a Dead Space fan looking for more, or you're a sucker for sci-fi horror set in space like I am, I'd say TCP is easily worth checking out if the price is right. I paid $25 for my copy and don't regret it.
Just don't go into it expecting a 9/10 masterpiece obviously. Taking all things into consideration I'd say it's a solid 7/10 game, and in no universe is a 7/10 game bad.

Will be grabbing the new DLC tonight and will try to share some spoiler-free impressions.

Last edited:
Didn't Callisto officially add dismemberment though? I'm going to do a second playthrough with DLC at some point.

fatmarco

That whole ending for the DLC is the most mean spirited bullshit ever… I’ll leave it at that.
It doesn't do that bullshit horror trope of either the main character dying or turning into one of the monsters for a jump scare ending bullshit, does it?

Dead Island and Dying Light in both their expansions were absolutely narrative destroying with that sort of shit.

EDIT:

Well just read the spoilers, its worse lol. What the absolute fuck. Train wreck of a game.

Last edited:

Wunray

It doesn't do that bullshit horror trope of either the main character dying or turning into one of the monsters for a jump scare ending bullshit, does it?

Dead Island and Dying Light in both their expansions were absolutely narrative destroying with that sort of shit.

EDIT:

Well just read the spoilers, its worse lol. What the absolute fuck. Train wreck of a game.
Where can I read these spoilers?

I got the game as a gift. I liked the first few hours enough to buy this Season Pass for $15.
I'll get around to finishing it eventually.

Bartski

Gold Member
DLC done. It was... not great. Believe it or not, it still has that worm enemy jumping at you from a locker at one point.

There is one really good sequence by the end and the final boss was better than the one in the base game, that's about it for the positives... The hammer is pretty cool and has an enemy attack cancel move, essential against a new enemy type which is sadly not all that great either.

I still think shooting works way better than melee but then reloading and swapping continue to ruin it, I can't believe they still haven't figured out simple QoL stuff like a way to see what 2 weapons you're using in quick-swap without going to the menu. Or auto-reload on empty.

Feels like they just wanted to wrap things up and call it a day with the once-to-become franchise. That attempt at self-irony at the end or whatever that was...

l may try riot mode now but overall it's game over man.

Top Bottom