• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol story DLC "Final Transmission" comes 27th June

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Care to elaborate? I’m about 70% through the main game don't get why the hate.
I get good vibes from Callisto, it’s a fusion of Alien Isolation, Dead Space, and the Thing. I played through every Dead Space game and had enough of the same formula. Dead Space 4 with prettier graphics wouldn’t make the same impact as it did in 2009. People need to let it go, Callisto isn't Dead Space 4.
I don’t hate the game per se. My issue is it’s too bright. The environment is flooded with light and therefore loses some of that fear factor that Dead Space had.
The graphics are top notch and runs liquid smooth.
The combat for me is too easy. Thus far, I simply need to dodge left or right and slap them upside the head rinse and repeat.
Combine these factors (lighting and combat) and for me the fear factor is simply not there.
Are both of these addressed later on in the game?
If so, happy to stick with it.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
That's the case with every action horror game that allows combat, as far as I am concerned. I have never felt fear/afraid in any Resi, Silent Hill, Dead Space or any other such game.

About the only one that managed it was first Amnesia. And partially Alien Isolation.
Fear is subjective and I do agree to a certain extent.
Undying was scary for me as was condemned and System Shock 2.
I did find Dead Space unsettling but I think that’s because of the environment (often constricting), darkness, audio etc.
Callisto for me at least, didn’t feel threatening.

Eiknarf

I dropped this game at this part

After the guy who helps you escape dies and you reach a place where theres a security guard trapped in a building who wants you to help him and its snowing

I just wanna beat the damn thing but keep putting it off, hopefully im not too far away from the end?
Put it on EASY mode. I think it’s called “Minimum Security”

They admitted that EASY is regular and REGULAR is hard and HARD is really difficult.

What each difficulty setting does is lesson the number of dodges and hits it takes to defeat an enemy. So it basically cuts down play time.
So there’s no shame in dropping the difficulty down to EASY/MINIMUM SECURITY

Last edited:

Eiknarf

That's the case with every action horror game that allows combat, as far as I am concerned. I have never felt fear/afraid in any Resi, Silent Hill, Dead Space or any other such game.

About the only one that managed it was first Amnesia. And partially Alien Isolation.
Yup. It’s the titles you least expect :
believe it or not, you can add LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2 to that list with Alien Isolation.

Nemesisuuu

This DLC was downright awful, I liked the original game - but this... At least Jacob story is finished, although that last cutscene (the one after 'credits') just shows they gave up on the game. Horrendously bad.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Jumping into the DLC now, like before my general expectations is it's going to be terrible.
But that's the impression I got from the main game from people and it turned out great.
Let's see if the weird hate is just continuing with the DLC or is justified.

Last edited:

raduque

Jumping into the DLC now, like before my general expectations is it's going to be terrible.
But that's the impression I got from the main game from people and it turned out great.
Let's see if the hate weird hate is just continuing with the DLC or is justified.
A lot of people are hating on the game because of the DLCs that were new death animations, skins and the Contagion difficulty mode.

TGO

A lot of people are hating on the game because of the DLCs that were new death animations, skins and the Contagion difficulty mode.
So because they add stuff like death animations, skins & a difficulty mode into a DLC they shit on the whole game....I don't see the logic or the connection.

Hugare

Let's see if the hate weird hate is just continuing with the DLC or is justified.
I remember you from the original thread.

One of the few that enjoyed the game, like me

So your opinion is greatly appreciated

• Strength
Reactions: TGO

TGO

I remember you from the original thread.

One of the few that enjoyed the game, like me

So your opinion is greatly appreciated
I'm generally confused by the hate the game gets and I noticed it started before the game even released, granted it's first showing everyone was hyped but the last few months before release the game was just getting shit on.
Sure it's linear in comparison to Dead Space and the combat is different (you do actually feel like you're fighting for survival) which I like
And everything else is top-notch and way above a lot of games.
So why is the impression people give is like it's bottom of the barrel.
It makes zero sense to me and I ain't the only one to notice how weird the hate for the game is.
Even John Linneman was a bit baffled by it's reception.
Playing the DLC now just makes me sad that a sequel will never be.
People don't like the ending because they obviously did care about the character and saying it's a IP abandonment....?
Are you really surprised considering the reception?
Should they have setup a sequel instead?

solidus12 solidus12
I haven't gotten far enough to make that assessment.
Seems more of the same with some surprises to keep you on your toes.
Game is stunning though, I forgot how good it looked.
1891e0f8bc529-screensnqih2.jpg

1891e10087211-screensrfigu.jpg

1891e0fb5f35-screensh1kizf.jpg

1891e0fdbf764-screensgietq.jpg

I had HDR enabled in those so they don't appear the same when copied from the PS5 for some reason.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Comparing Dead Space to The Callisto Protocol is almost like comparing Schindler’s List to Minority Report. Just because Steven Spielberg directed both of them doesn’t mean you can or should A/B them.

If everyone applied that logic to The Callisto Protocol, there definitely wouldn’t be such hate

They’re not the same at all

Dead Space is exclusively a shooter. A ranged weapon shooter. The up close melee combat doesn’t count. And there’s no stealth takedowns

The Callisto Protocol has way more in common with The Last of Us. It’s got melee, stealth and ranged kills

Dead Space melee/stealth combat:
4 out of ten
Dead Space shooting/stasis combat:
10 out of ten

The Callisto Protocol melee/stealth combat:
7 out of ten
The Callisto Protocol shooting/GRP combat:
9 out of ten

Dead Space = 14
Callisto = 16
Callisto wins

Last edited:
Should I give the melee in Dead Space a “0” and upset people in here? The melee IS a 4 because you can kinda swing somewhat left to right. And you can stomp. So a “4” is fair

Just thought that your post was hilariously contradictory, that is all.

You start off by saying "Just because Steven Spielberg directed both of them doesn’t mean you can or should A/B them.", only to directly A/B them.

Sometimes a direct 1:1 comparison doesn't work, as you explained and then demonstrated previously. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Two vastly different experiences with a focus on different gameplay elements. That you enjoy one more than the other is totally fine. Nobody is upset.

Hugare

Just thought that your post was hilariously contradictory, that is all.

You start off by saying "Just because Steven Spielberg directed both of them doesn’t mean you can or should A/B them.", only to directly A/B them.

Sometimes a direct 1:1 comparison doesn't work, as you explained and then demonstrated previously. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Two vastly different experiences with a focus on different gameplay elements. That you enjoy one more than the other is totally fine. Nobody is upset.
I agree, 'cause in many points, it ends up being apples/oranges

BUT, the combat is similar enough that we can compare them, imo

The bread and butter is the same, tho execution is different. You aim, you shoot, you use teleknesis and you have melee.

Callisto does a lot of things better than DS, imo. I love DS, replayed DS 2 recently and it still holds up, but the combat is as simple as it gets.

It's the same "2 shots on the leg, one on the head" the whole way through. You can use multiple weapons, but the the 2-1 combo is so effective, that I finished DS 2 using the Plasma Cutter for 90% of the time.

In Callisto the combat is also simple, because the tools are basically the same. But the scenarios arent. There are rooms where if you dont use everything at your disposal, you're dead.

You have to throw a monster using telekinesis, then shoot the one spewing acid on the back, then fight the last one using melee.

If you try to melee them all, you're fucked. So it adds some strategy to the combat and makes it more exciting than DS, imo.

raduque

So because they add stuff like death animations, skins & a difficulty mode into a DLC they shit on the whole game....I don't see the logic or the connection.
The internet is full of entitled stupid people - they were mad the dev was charging for those, instead of making them free.

Rockman33

Just finished the game and DLC for the first time. After performance issues at launch I waited for a sale.

I REALLY enjoyed this game. It definitely has its flaws and could have been polished a bit better. Some things were just very frustrating when they shouldn’t have been. But overall I had a ton of fun with it and it looks and sounds spectacular. Wish it would have done better in sales so we could get a sequel to iron out its shortcomings.

TGO

The internet is full of entitled stupid people - they were mad the dev was charging for those, instead of making them free.
Oh like Driveclub, another IP killed off by the entitled

rapid32.5

Finished the main game 8.8/10
- lack of enemy variety and bosses, slight backtracking.
+ top-notch visuals and horror, sound effects, animations, main character voice and look, well-thought-out set pieces when shooting, and melee planning work beautifully together in order to survive. The ending was set up for part II it’s not a cliffhanger. This talented team needs a sponsor for making sequels or horror games for sure.

Last edited:

WoJ

Funny how the narrative on this game seems to be changing. I played it about a month or so after launch and thought it was very good. Shame whiny dorks on the internet have so much influence over things. Despite underperforming sales wise I believe it still sold more than 2 million? I bet with a higher metacritic game would have got a sequel despite sales.

TGO

Funny how the narrative on this game seems to be changing. I played it about a month or so after launch and thought it was very good. Shame whiny dorks on the internet have so much influence over things. Despite underperforming sales wise I believe it still sold more than 2 million? I bet with a higher metacritic game would have got a sequel despite sales.
I believe so too, if it wasn't for the negativity I think it would have sold more and secured a sequel, I actually think it sold pretty well for a new horror IP, but everyone decided it was a failure only 3 weeks after launch despite selling 2mill.
And the developers saw this, so I'm not surprised if the DLC ending feels like they ending it here.
But I'm curious what it's at now but I doubt we'll ever find out as the media only post about it to bash it
And considering what EA did to the original team it's surprising people champion EA over this.
Don't get me wrong despite the woke shit Motive Studio did a good job with Dead Space, but it was still the original teams work that made it as good as it was to begin with.
The game could have been little more like DS instead of being linear (although someone already said back tracking was a negative, so they would have complained about that to, which is funny considering DS has loads of it)
Btw playing the DLC and I like the more psychological aspects and
the hammer
is brutal.
I think it's definitely above average but not a knock out the ball park like Dead Space was but a good first entry nonetheless which would have had a fantastic sequel.
Kinda like Uncharted

Last edited:

solidus12

Just bought the season pass.
Unfortunately, I had a glitch that prevented me from getting the platinum, so I had to delete the game and start downloading again.

• Triggered
Reactions: TGO

TGO

I'm sorry I actually thought that after credits scene was funny.
But the ending.... although I wish it was different it was kinda fitting & ironic, despite all the shit he went through.... damn.
Btw I don't know who said there was only two cutscenes in the DLC, but I counted 5 🤔
Overall this boss was better then the main game final boss.
I wouldn't say this was worth the original Season Pass price but £15 is alright.
Now to start New+ 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom