• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Beta |OT| This Beta be Gud

Neolombax

Ground War ran poorly on my PS4, maybe its my internet connection. Textures took quite a while to load, rubber banding was rampant. Was getting tagged with killstreaks very often, I'm not sure if its even a good idea. Definitely not a BF killer this game mode, but I can appreciate the effort of trying to shake up the formula a bit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just hit level 10. Runs fine at 4K on max settings (without ray tracing of course) on my overclocked gtx 1070 Ti.
It's getting better as I'm playing it more but I don't think I'll be there day one... maybe when it goes on a sale.
ak47 is my fav weapon so far

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The realistic game mode is totally my bag.
I was on the fence with that mode, I sort of like it but don't love it. I think I need to play a few more games, I played a couple of them and then went back to the normal games. But that NVG mode was what didn't take my fancy.

The netcode is horrendous at times. The amount of BS I'm experiencing is really worrisome. I enjoy the game a ton, but I was really hoping for a better experience in this regard. Maybe it's just because of highly varied pings, but they shouldn't be allowed in my game with their stink.

They are not even recognizing it AT ALL. Prepare yourselves everyone, they aren't gonna bother. GG

Last edited:

dolabla

Is the Realism mode "Hardcore" mode now? If so, it takes too many shots than I'm used to and the regenerating health I do not like.

It's fun, but I just hope Hardcore hasn't been replaced. Hope there's a Hardcore version of the Realism mode.

Is the Realism mode "Hardcore" mode now? If so, it takes too many shots than I'm used to and the regenerating health I do not like.

It's fun, but I just hope Hardcore hasn't been replaced. Hope there's a Hardcore version of the Realism mode.

It's pretty confusing but it sounds like hardcore is a different mode?

Last edited:

dolabla

It's pretty confusing but it sounds like hardcore is a different mode?

Yeah, it's a little confusing. I guess Realism mode is just regular TDM, but without any hud menus. Someone on Gamefaqs posted this: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/265239-call-of-duty-modern-warfare/78033317

People confuse Realism with Hardcore.

Health is not reduced, and weapons do not have added damage like Hardcore.

Realism as it says, removes all HUD elements. That's it.

Hope he/she is right.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a little confusing. I guess Realism mode is just regular TDM, but without any hud menus. Someone on Gamefaqs posted this: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/265239-call-of-duty-modern-warfare/78033317

Hope he/she is right.

Weapons deal more damage in Realism playlists, making every engagement even faster than the already quick pace that Call of Duty is known for.

Full text:

Realism

“Realism strips down the interface for a more immersive experience.”

The Basics:

Take in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in its purest form with Realism game rules.

Available on designated playlists, Realism turns off most assist features to fully immerse you inside the game’s universe.

Here, you must truly rely on your natural senses to seek and destroy the enemy, whether it’s in Team Deathmatch, the lone Realism game mode planned for the Beta, or any game mode with the Realism ruleset in the game’s full release.

Gameplay Notes:

There are three main rule changes that define Realism mode, which is slightly similar, but not equal to, Hardcore mode in previous Call of Duty games.

The first is the complete lack of a heads-up-display. There is no bullet counter, no killstreak meter, no compass, not even an on-screen reticle that shows where you are aiming.

The second is how damage is calculated compared to core game modes. Weapons deal more damage in Realism playlists, making every engagement even faster than the already quick pace that Call of Duty is known for.

Finally, in a similar fashion to the regular ruleset, Friendly Fire is disabled. This means you can fully immerse yourself within Call of Duty: Modern Warfare without having to worry about a troll ruining the fun.

Additional Intel:

Realism gives you the opportunity to truly explore the finer details that Infinity Ward put into Call of Duty: Modern Warfare through photogrammetry.

As Infinity Ward Art Director Joel Emslie described in our feature for this design technique, these environments will have intimate details as you get up close and explore every fiber of them within Multiplayer, whether you play in a Realism playlist or not.

“You get really close to walls, and when you see things up close, [you’re seeing] this detailed tiling technique where you can really notice the detail. You’re probably familiar with 16 or 32 pixels per inch; this will be 64 pixels per inch; almost as real as it gets.”

Realism playlists will exist separate to regular modes within Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare®’s Multiplayer, so there is no need to shift gears within regular playlists to prepare for Realism game rules.

Last edited:

dolabla

So basically "Realism" is a middle ground between regular and hardcore? Just as long as they also have hardcore modes as well, I'll be happy :). I. I need my lowered health, friendly fire, etc. That's more "Realistic" :p

Realism and NVG modes are the best new modes and surprisingly fun and immersive. Ground war mode on the other hand isn't fun at all with all killstreaks going on and being stuck in choke points. Ground war doesn't seem to promote team work. In it's current state ground war feels like a gimmick or a cheap knock off of BF4's conquest. BF games have destruction and no kill streaks along with team work fostered by the dev and community, but the same isn't the case with ground war. Anyone here had fun with ground war on PS4?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People are really overestimating the amount of cheaters on pc. Pc players in general are more skilled than console players, due to the higher skillset of using a controller. It is incredibly easy to a well with a mouse where you use your entire hand, whereas with a controller you only use your thumb, making small and more precise adjustments harder.

I've played on pc for the most of my gaming career, and I never notice cheaters. I'm often in the top 3, so maybe cheaters doesn't have an effect on me.

Played the beta and I can't believe ghost works 24/7. Ghost should only work if your moving!!! This is the most obvious thing that needs to change and almost all of my friends picked up on it. They even had it in previous entries to combat camping, but for some reason they don't bring it back, ghost is by and far the most overpowered perk and nothing else comes close, completely unbalanced. Also the time to kill is the lowest if ever played in a cod game, it need to increase by 1-2 bullets.

Played the beta and I can't believe ghost works 24/7. Ghost should only work if your moving!!! This is the most obvious thing that needs to change and almost all of my friends picked up on it. They even had it in previous entries to combat camping, but for some reason they don't bring it back, ghost is by and far the most overpowered perk and nothing else comes close, completely unbalanced. Also the time to kill is the lowest if ever played in a cod game, it need to increase by 1-2 bullets.

Ghost had complaints either way - people didn't like it in Black Ops 4 (worked while moving only). I think there are reasonable arguments both ways.

However, the fastest TTK is all in your head, this game actually has a slower (average) time to kill than most COD games:

There was a correction to this table in the comments where Ace says it is nearer to 240ms after some recalculations. Still on the slower side of CODs.

bVrJYbE.png

Last edited:

DonF

I thought the beta was great, but does anyone else.find the positional audio weak? Coming from apex and overwatch, I felt that couldn't really tell and sometimes not hear at all footsteps.
I tried all the headphones and surround settings and no noticable improvement. It was really frustrating getting ambushed by someone or watching a killcam and noticing clearly that they heard me and turned around to shoot me.

I thought the beta was great, but does anyone else.find the positional audio weak? Coming from apex and overwatch, I felt that couldn't really tell and sometimes not hear at all footsteps.
I tried all the headphones and surround settings and no noticable improvement. It was really frustrating getting ambushed by someone or watching a killcam and noticing clearly that they heard me and turned around to shoot me.

Headphones 1 worked really well for me, I hadn't tried anything else. There's a really good guide on Infinity Ward's blog about all the presets:

https://www.infinityward.com/news/2019-09/modern_warfare_audio_settings

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I had no chance to play any of the beta, but watching streams and other videos, I'm kinda on the fence now if I want to buy it or not.

GenericUser

The skill based matchmaking kinda soured my experience to be honest. When I played alone, I only encountered super good players, when I was playing with a buddy (he is new to cod), my k/d never dropped below 3.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned

MDSLKTR

Holy crap the pc version is so juicy, the revamped gunplay really shines with a kbm and the amount of behaviour customisation is mint. Looks sooo good with a good iq too.
First pc cod I will buy since blops2, crossplay is very welcome. I also liked how my progress carried on between ps4 and pc. Good job IW!

GamingKaiju

I'm absolutely loving this CoD. I haven't played CoD since the Blops days. I'm normally a BF guy and think BF3 is the best in the franchise and this reminds a lot of that.

The games feel weighty and the gun sounds oh my :pie_drooling: The slower style is really my cup of tea and they nailed it. The gunsmith is fucking ace and I can't wait to see what crazy things people cook up. Ground war is a little bit of a mess and I hope they rework it before release.

I hated what CoD had become that twitch shooting wasn't for me, fucking spraying and praying all over the place whereas this requires some mind and gun game skill to come out on top, I still have bad games but I'm just loving it too much. First CoD I'll buying in nearly a decade.

OK, I loved everything I’ve seen so far until Ground War. That thing is cheap imitation of BF, poor man’s Conquest. It’s a clusterfuck but not very fun. In every room you’re at there are always at least 3 openings so you can get shot from anywhere. Bullets penetrate pretty much everything. Biggest problem was performance on OG PS4, I always felt opposing players had better connection and I was suffering because of it - they can kill me faster than I can kill them.

There is no destruction at all like in BF, camping ⛺️ is very much appreciated, quick scoping is alive and well. Also, map is very bleak and horrible to look at.

Claymore is life savior on that map.

It’s not a deal breaker but my hype has died down a little bit. If anything, it made wanna come back to BF.

Bryank75

Banned
OK, I loved everything I’ve seen so far until Ground War. That thing is cheap imitation of BF, poor man’s Conquest. It’s a clusterfuck but not very fun. In every room you’re at there are always at least 3 openings so you can get shot from anywhere. Bullets penetrate pretty much everything. Biggest problem was performance on OG PS4, I always felt opposing players had better connection and I was suffering because of it - they can kill me faster than I can kill them.

There is no destruction at all like in BF, camping ⛺ is very much appreciated, quick scoping is alive and well. Also, map is very bleak and horrible to look at.

It’s not a deal breaker but my hype has died down a little bit. If anything, it made wanna come back to BF.
You can't play it like the other modes... start thinking outside the box. There is no way you can deal with all the opfor being thrown at you, you will be overwhelmed at some point, so you have to be more strategic. Look for positions that give you an advantage and try to retain them. Avoid 'C'. haha

There is no destruction at all like in BF, camping ⛺ is very much appreciated, quick scoping is alive and well. Also, map is very bleak and horrible to look at.

I will say Ground War was not my fav, but luckily the other modes were pretty solid. I played on X and started getting some screen tearing yesterday. Did any of you get a lot of this during matches?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Ground mode is OK definitely if you want tht big game adrenaline pumping. Just didn't like how you respawn right in front of enemies but I guess thts up to where your teammates are at (yeah bridge area where everyone goes lol).. On PS4 it was pretty solid, surprised no noticeable fps drops.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Yo!! Ground War feels a lot like MAG when it gets all cluster fucky. I like it!

Indeed it does, and that's a truly great thing. But the maps are a bit too cluttered compared to MAG. Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly. And I feel that MAG was a tad slower paced at times (at least until it was time to rush C).

Anyway, can't wait to play more of this.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Ground mode is OK definitely if you want tht big game adrenaline pumping. Just didn't like how you respawn right in front of enemies but I guess thts up to where your teammates are at (yeah bridge area where everyone goes lol).. On PS4 it was pretty solid, surprised no noticeable fps drops.
You must have the Super Duper Pro Ps4 then.

Kagero

Indeed it does, and that's a truly great thing. But the maps are a bit too cluttered compared to MAG. Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly. And I feel that MAG was a tad slower paced at times (at least until it was time to rush C).

Anyway, can't wait to play more of this.
You’re completely right. That’s how I remember MAG as well. Being slower. MAG also had a lot more objectives and wasn’t as simple as this but the moment to moment parts where you’re in a small confined space defending shit feels a lot like MAG. In most cases this is a terrible example of what would be considered good MP design, but I’m enjoying it because it brings back memories of one of my favourite MP shooters of all time.

Kagero

You must have the Super Duper Pro Ps4 then.
I think everyone has a different tolerance for frame rate drops. I also played on the pro and I’m completely happy with the performance. I don’t notice any dips compared to other online shooters. What I do notice is how blurry the game looks.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I think everyone has a different tolerance for frame rate drops. I also played on the pro and I’m completely happy with the performance. I don’t notice any dips compared to other online shooters. What I do notice is how blurry the game looks.
Yeah its fine on team death match but Ground war was dropping loads for me unless in a building with nobody around. i'd guess into the teens at times.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
You’re completely right. That’s how I remember MAG as well. Being slower. MAG also had a lot more objectives and wasn’t as simple as this but the moment to moment parts where you’re in a small confined space defending shit feels a lot like MAG. In most cases this is a terrible example of what would be considered good MP design, but I’m enjoying it because it brings back memories of one of my favourite MP shooters of all time.

Amen! I'll drink to that!

TexMex

Ground War ran as fine as any other mode for me, but I'm on fiber so that helps.

Played this beta more than any other. Shockingly good. Can't wait for launch.

Top Bottom