• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War |OT| Deniable Operations

Sleepwalker

Is this crossplay/crossgen? Could I potentially play on my PS5 with a buddy on PS4 and another on xbox one?

Also, is there a version where I get both the old and next gen games? I'm kinda confused when it comes to this lol. Would like to share a PS4 copy with a friend but I wanna play on PS5.

kikonawa

Is this crossplay/crossgen? Could I potentially play on my PS5 with a buddy on PS4 and another on xbox one?

Also, is there a version where I get both the old and next gen games? I'm kinda confused when it comes to this lol. Would like to share a PS4 copy with a friend but I wanna play on PS5.
crossplay yes

ps4 version you can play in backwards compatibility on ps5
you can pay 10euro i think and upgrade it to ps5 version

since i have a ps5 (coming soon) and ps4pro i plan on buy the ps4 version and upgrade on my ps5
so my kid can also play it when he wants on is ps4

Shmunter

Does this affect the Milano 821? That gun is already not great. I hope they didn't make it worthless.

edit: I thought Alpha was a term for the damage cone or some shit. Nevermind.

Is Activision suddenly not paying for the rights to use real weapon names? Man they're really just scraping by huh.

What, no real weapons? Say it isn’t so

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe they nerfed the MP5. It didn't seem as effective this evening.
I have never quite understood why they always pick a SMG and make it the most powerful gun in the game so everyone who cares about their K/D on the internet feels like they can't use anything but the newest meta gun.

And there's no reason anyone should be able to spray a SMG from across the map and take out tactical rifles. They need to nerf the damage distance of these stupid guns already. They won't, because they know 80% of players will be annoyed, but what can ya do.

Codes 208

I have never quite understood why they always pick a SMG and make it the most powerful gun in the game so everyone who cares about their K/D on the internet feels like they can't use anything but the newest meta gun.

And there's no reason anyone should be able to spray a SMG from across the map and take out tactical rifles. They need to nerf the damage distance of these stupid guns already. They won't, because they know 80% of players will be annoyed, but what can ya do.
It’s almost always an smg or a shotgun. Like that sniper shotgun from MW’19, the 1887 akimbo from MW2, ak-74u akimbo, and sometimes just *sometimes* an AR like the commando from BO1

I've never understood why the best guns in the game at any range are snipers. So fucking dumb being blooped at point blank range by a kid running around with a sniper.

Grinchy

Banned
I've never understood why the best guns in the game at any range are snipers. So fucking dumb being blooped at point blank range by a kid running around with a sniper.
omg I hate the quick-scopers

It's possible that it's not as easy as it looks (I've never tried it) but it's the most infuriating thing.

Leopold

I got this for the PS4 and can't find where to upgrade it on my PS5. Also gives me an error when trying to install the campaign.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Idk why but finding games can take an immense amount of time every now and then. I play on Asia servers and while I don’t think that matters (I have heard this problem occur on all servers from different people) I am wondering what the issue could be. Certainly, there are enough players to go around...

Also, I feel it is quite clear to those who play Modern Warfare ‘19 (including myself) this game’s maps enable camping significantly more. Very unpleasant sometimes but hey, gotta learn to beat ‘em.

I like Black Ops Cold War overall, it is certainly an interesting continuation of the series and ever since Black Ops II (best installment to date IMO) I have always hoped for a better successor... (don’t think BO4 was it, though I played on XB1 and it was sufficiently fun).

As far as attempting to supersede MW’19, I never considered MW and BO to be strictly comparable games so docking BO CW for its obvious lower sound quality and graphics seems improper, but I think until they release more (and better) maps and patch the game I’ll sink more time into Modern Warfare.

This is all my opinion though, both are great and it is clear some people generally prefer the feel for BO over MW, and vice versa. I am generally better at MW as I am always finishing games with at least a 1.2 K/D ratio, but with more time into BO perhaps that will change.

Last edited:

The Pweep

Neo Member
One thing I hate about the campaign is the terrible world interaction. Shooting objects does not effect them one bit. PS5 too, which you would think they would have handled like MW. Shoot a TV, nothing. Shoot a phone, stays glued in. Huge eye sore. Come on...

Methos#1975

Maybe a dumb question but should you install the HD textures pack if playing the XS version? Isn't it already optimized for the Series X without them?

Just downloaded it again on ps5,I definitely bought cross gen version,but I can't see a difference?!!and in the controller settings shows a PS4 controller?

Gold_Loot

Just downloaded it again on ps5,I definitely bought cross gen version,but I can't see a difference?!!and in the controller settings shows a PS4 controller?
I did the same exact thing. When you go to download the game, click the little ellipses symbol to bring up more options, then click PlayStation 5 full game to get the ps5 version.
You’ll know you’re playing the ps4 version when you highlight it on the xmb and it says ps4 after the title.

I did the same exact thing. When you go to download the game, click the little ellipses symbol to bring up more options, then click PlayStation 5 full game to get the ps5 version.
You’ll know you’re playing the ps4 version when you highlight it on the xmb and it says ps4 after the title.
Cheer mate,just noticed it,thanks though, thought it would just play the ps5 version 😂

Nymphae

Banned
Played enough to unlock Create a Class last night, few matches. Mostly getting destroyed but I like how it feels. Judging by kill cams I think I was in with a lot of PC players, might disable the cross play at some point. When you try to do it they give you this guilt trip message about trying to keep the community together lol. Fuck you I want to play with people on roughly the same footing as me.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Played enough to unlock Create a Class last night, few matches. Mostly getting destroyed but I like how it feels. Judging by kill cams I think I was in with a lot of PC players, might disable the cross play at some point. When you try to do it they give you this guilt trip message about trying to keep the community together lol. Fuck you I want to play with people on roughly the same footing as me.
Fucking crazy eh. Its like online games have become woke sjw for PC players.
PC players matter. You are a bigot if you exclude them.

Nymphae

Banned
Fucking crazy eh. Its like online games have become woke sjw for PC players.
PC players matter. You are a bigot if you exclude them.

I'd have noped out immediately if it wasn't for the fact that I want cross play with the presumably far larger base of console players, PS5 isn't going to be heavily populated yet.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I'd have noped out immediately if it wasn't for the fact that I want cross play with the presumably far larger base of console players, PS5 isn't going to be heavily populated yet.

I feel the same way except the other way around. The aim assist nonsense available to console players has no place in PC games IMO, so I don’t blame you at all for how you reason lol

MrMephistoX

Think this could be the best looking and sounding game i've ever had on my TV. The Dolby Atmos mix through my soundbar is incredible.

Also played a bunch of zombies and it's been very fun so far, I just wish people would be more ambitious and not extract as early as they do. The game is a locked 60fps in single player on XSX, but I noticed some horrific FPS drops in zombies when ray tracing is enabled, as well as some dodgy shadow flickering.

I honestly think it looks noticeably better in MP XseX than on PS5. I’m a launch nerd and bought both versions to play with friends. SP it’s even though.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I hate the way these games install. I did the initial install the other day, selecting multiplayer, then when it was done, I downloaded campaign through the game menu. The next day I tried to play campaign and there was another install required first, then today I finally go to start and it just says partially installed still, when I click install it says install optional content? I confirm, then start the campaign. I get one mission in, then to the evidence board and try and start the second mission, and it says it's not finished installing. Like holy shit.

Last edited:

OutRun88

I’m replaying through the story now and damn the missions are paced well. Super enjoyable stuff.

There are also a ton of little hints and details about the story that I initially missed!

Nymphae

Banned
I hate the way these games install. I did the initial install the other day, selecting multiplayer, then when it was done, I downloaded campaign through the game menu. The next day I tried to play campaign and there was another install required first, then today I finally go to start and it just says partially installed still, when I click install it says install optional content? I confirm, then start the campaign. I get one mission in, then to the evidence board and try and start the second mission, and it says it's not finished installing. Like holy shit.

Like what the fuck man, after that there was STILL ANOTHER CAMPAIGN DOWNLOAD. At least 3 separate huge downloads, on top of the main game update file, just to play the single player mode? AFTER I've already bought on disc and installed from that? There has to be a better way guys, come the fuck on. CoD4 was insert disc, install, boom, access to all modes. What the fuck are you guys doing over there with this game.

Having a lot of fun with it so far, but jfc these guys need to tighten the ship up a bit

Last edited:

Shmunter

Like what the fuck man, after that there was STILL ANOTHER CAMPAIGN DOWNLOAD. At least 3 separate huge downloads, on top of the main game update file, just to play the single player mode? AFTER I've already bought on disc and installed from that? There has to be a better way guys, come the fuck on. CoD4 was insert disc, install, boom, access to all modes. What the fuck are you guys doing over there with this game.

Having a lot of fun with it so far, but jfc these guys need to tighten the ship up a bit
Are you sure you’re not grabbing the cross gen version by downloading despite the disc? Dunno, haven’t got the disc yet myself.

Nymphae

Banned
Are you sure you’re not grabbing the cross gen version by downloading despite the disc? Dunno, haven’t got the disc yet myself.

I bought the PS5 disc, and installed that on my PS5. I don't see how that could result in the wrong version being downloaded. Though I tried to confirm which version I had last night despite being fairly certain it's the PS5 version, and absolutely nowhere tells you which version you have installed. I checked everywhere in the UI.

That's just how these games work now, you download everything piecemeal and the campaign seems to have the most chunks.

VN1X

Banned
cakxvibira061.jpg

As someone pointed out on reddit: how did those rubberbands get there? :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Shmunter

I bought the PS5 disc, and installed that on my PS5. I don't see how that could result in the wrong version being downloaded. Though I tried to confirm which version I had last night despite being fairly certain it's the PS5 version, and absolutely nowhere tells you which version you have installed. I checked everywhere in the UI.

That's just how these games work now, you download everything piecemeal and the campaign seems to have the most chunks.
Man, not looking forward to that. Hope it’s some glitch you’ve got.

Nymphae

Banned

lol glitch? There is no glitch here, the last several CoDs I've played have worked like that. The campaign is comprised of 3 separate downloads alone, on top of your initial from disc install and day one updates. These guys do not care about efficient programming I guess, they don't have to.

OutRun88

No, that’s just how the install works. It’s bonkers. As someone who has zero interest in multiplayer, it was extremely obnoxious I had to download a multiplayer component first, and then the subsequent 3 downloads for the campaign after.

If you have the PlayStation app on your phone it’ll notify you when your downloads are done. I just went and gamed on my PC while I was waiting.

No, that’s just how the install works. It’s bonkers. As someone who has zero interest in multiplayer, it was extremely obnoxious I had to download a multiplayer component first, and then the subsequent 3 downloads for the campaign after.

If you have the PlayStation app on your phone it’ll notify you when your downloads are done. I just went and gamed on my PC while I was waiting.
I had the choice to download which mode I wanted?I'm sure I did?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Though I tried to confirm which version I had last night despite being fairly certain it's the PS5 version, and absolutely nowhere tells you which version you have installed. I checked everywhere in the UI.
The game should show like this in the title
For PS5
Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War | Disc Icon HDD Icon
for PS4
Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War | PS4 Disc Icon HDD Icon

Nymphae

Banned
The game should show like this in the title
For PS5
Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War | Disc Icon HDD Icon
for PS4
Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War | PS4 Disc Icon HDD Icon

Thank you, I will check again tonight but I'm telling you I poured over every part of the UI starting with the home screen and digging through CoD related items (all of the legal notices, unfolding all of the ellipses options everywhere it could be found...never saw a clearly labeled PS5 or PS4 anywhere)

Any chance you can take a screenshot of this info on a screen so I know exactly where to look?

jabintendo

Neo Member
How do you actually download the ps5 version.
The 3 dots shows i only have the ps4 version installed. i can't see where to download the ps5 option. when i check the store it just launches the game

I don't know why they have made this so difficult to install.

How do you actually download the ps5 version.
The 3 dots shows i only have the ps4 version installed. i can't see where to download the ps5 option. when i check the store it just launches the game

I don't know why they have made this so difficult to install.
If you click on the game tile using the small optionsbutton on the right,it will bring a lost up,go to game version and select ps5

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thank you, I will check again tonight but I'm telling you I poured over every part of the UI starting with the home screen and digging through CoD related items (all of the legal notices, unfolding all of the ellipses options everywhere it could be found...never saw a clearly labeled PS5 or PS4 anywhere)

Any chance you can take a screenshot of this info on a screen so I know exactly where to look?
You'll kick yourself
Not mine cuz I'm not near my PS5 but this shows you Modern Warfare as a PS4 game
CMOjiPV.jpg

If you click on the three dots it'll show you different versions of the game, installed & available on PSN
And in Games library
3760467-20201113161123bkll.jpg

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
You'll kick yourself
Not mine cuz I'm not near my PS5 but this shows you Modern Warfare as a PS4 game
CMOjiPV.jpg

Thank you I'll check it out. Like I said though I don't see how it would even be possible to get the wrong version by installing from a PS5 disc you put into the PS5.

jabintendo

Neo Member
If you click on the game tile using the small optionsbutton on the right,it will bring a lost up,go to game version and select ps5

Thanks. i am downloading it again just to make sure.
When i select game version it shows ps4 and ps5. ps5 is downloading now, so hopefully i have the correct version.

Top Bottom