• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BT customers unknowingly charged for Xbox Game Pass

King Dazzar

I'm a BT user mate. The 12 month GamePass was part of the deal whether you use it or not. Then after 12 months, you need to cancel it.

But I guess you want to make it into an issue.
Yeah but it has been and is an issue. He's not making it up. Several months ago I looked at the GP deal and found in the BT forums, loads of posts from people about having issues leaving the sub. Its something I've beared in mind if I decide to upgrade at some point. And thats before this new BBC article. People should be aware. Last thing you need is the ball ache of being passed from pillar to post trying to get out of something. Or being subbed into something you didnt even want.

Utility issues can be a nightmare, because of the incompetence of the admin teams.

Last edited:

Frwrd

Fucking BT man…

Norman Reedus Loop GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

foamdino

Gotta pump up those subscriber numbers somehow
I'm a BT subscriber and I got a "Welcome to Xbox GamePass Ultimate for only £10/month!) email the other week. Immediately assumed my BT account had been hacked, logged in changed password de-activated the gamepass sub.

I knew immediately what to do. However in the UK, BT is one of the incumbent ISPs from the old days. Loads of less tech savvy people will use BT as it's all they've known or heard of. How many of these (generally older 60+) are being added to gamepass by this Microsoft glitch?

Schmick

?

There are literally people in this thread saying it's happened to them.

What's wrong with you?
What wrong with me? Why always so aggressive?

Not denying it happened just seems so inconsequential. BT customers complained and got a refund.

foamdino

I'm a BT subscriber and I got a "Welcome to Xbox GamePass Ultimate for only £10/month!) email the other week. Immediately assumed my BT account had been hacked, logged in changed password de-activated the gamepass sub.

I knew immediately what to do. However in the UK, BT is one of the incumbent ISPs from the old days. Loads of less tech savvy people will use BT as it's all they've known or heard of. How many of these (generally older 60+) are being added to gamepass by this Microsoft glitch?
Just checked again - I got dinged £10 for January. And no, I never activated this as I don't want to touch the MS Store on my PC and have a bunch of storage stolen. As for the Norton licence mentioned above, there is an actual button that you must click in the account to activate that - it wasn't magically activated.

So it seems like I've had a "free" gamepass sub for 12 months - add me to the "huge and growing pile of gamepass subscribers" (and then remove me from Feb 24 onwards)

Yeah but it has been and is an issue. He's not making it up. Several months ago I looked at the GP deal and found in the BT forums, loads of posts from people about having issues leaving the sub. Its something I've beared in mind if I decide to upgrade at some point. And thats before this new BBC article. People should be aware. Last thing you need is the ball ache of being passed from pillar to post trying to get out of something. Or being subbed into something you didnt even want.

Utility issues can be a nightmare, because of the incompetence of the admin teams.
All you need to do is read the e-mail and the contract that you signed.

I will say that since the days of COVID and people working from home Admin, HR teams have been a waste of space and trying to get a hold of anyone or at least talk to a person over the phone to raise an issue, is a complete nightmare and BT are one of the worst, like SKY.

Schmick

It is an ongoing issue.
And I'm sure the issue will be resolved and further customers will be refunded. Customers even received emails that they've been charged so its not like its happening in secrecy as opposed to the Post Office Scandal (which should be getting more exposure than it is btw).

IT systems fail at times and BT have owned up by giving out refunds, which seem to be given out with no hesitation.

GHG

What wrong with me? Why always so aggressive?

Not denying it happened just seems so inconsequential. BT customers complained and got a refund.

Yes what's wrong with you. Why do you want this to be swept under the rug?

It's not inconsequential when there will still be plenty of people out there paying for something without realising due to this error. So it's better that people get informed so that they can check.

Schmick

Yes what's wrong with you. Why do you want this to be swept under the rug?

It's not inconsequential when there will still be plenty of people out there paying for something without realising due to this error. So it's better that people get informed so that they can check.
Informed by the email they would have received from BT you mean?

Not to mention their monthly bill.

Last edited:

GHG

An email that people might not see. Hence it's made the news so that it can be brought to people's attention and they can take the appropriate action to check.

There's a reason I made the grandma and grandpa comment in the OP. My wife had to check her fathers account to make sure because he's not capable of doing so for himself, nevermind checking his emails. In the past he's frequently ended up with packages he doesn't need or ended up overpaying due to the way these telecoms companies operate.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Not to mention their monthly bill.
1. People don’t realize they are getting stupid GamePass as part of sign up for fiber. It’s buried somewhere in the contract that most folks don’t read front to back.
2. BT fucks up and won’t even allow some to cancel it (see in the thread). MS also isn’t being helpful.
3. BT only acknowledges the issue after BBC article.
4. Schmick is all in defending large corporations instead of customers because he “read the email”.

NTx0ujd.jpg

Cyberpunkd

"By mistake."

Coming Soon Wink Wink GIF by Age Of Empires Community
Real talk? This is most likely what most operators pull and I don’t know how it’s legal:

“Hey, we are making our service better, so we are adding extra 50GB to your data plan. It will cost you 3€ extra, click here to CANCEL THE CHANGE.”

“Hey, we are adding fucking videogame subscription to your account. It will cost you 10€ extra. Click here if you don’t want it, otherwise we are charging your stupid ass.”

Telecoms in France try this regularly every 6-9 months.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can't people read?.

It's so clear and I'm with BT

Thanks for activating your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription.

You won't have to pay for it until 03 Aug 2023. After that, it'll be £10.00 a month (unless you cancel). You'll see this on your bill.

You can switch off auto renewal anytime, this can be done at

'UnKnOwiNgLy'

Topher

Gold Member
And I'm sure the issue will be resolved and further customers will be refunded. Customers even received emails that they've been charged so its not like its happening in secrecy as opposed to the Post Office Scandal (which should be getting more exposure than it is btw).

IT systems fail at times and BT have owned up by giving out refunds, which seem to be given out with no hesitation.

You are making excuses for a problem that has been going on for months. It is bizarre.

'UnKnOwiNgLy'

Check your spam folder lately? You know how many phishing emails are sent out saying thank you for buying something you didn't buy? And how does sending an email make this ok?

Last edited:

Schmick

1. People don’t realize they are getting stupid GamePass as part of sign up for fiber. It’s buried somewhere in the contract that most folks don’t read front to back.
2. BT fucks up and won’t even allow some to cancel it (see in the thread). MS also isn’t being helpful.
3. BT only acknowledges the issue after BBC article.
4. Schmick is all in defending large corporations instead of customers because he “read the email”.

NTx0ujd.jpg
1. Its clear as day that Gamepass is being offered with Fibre, even says for how long.
QidXNuE.jpg

2. Its not MS's fuck up and you can easy cancel the GamePass subscription from your My BT account.
B5fetyE.jpg

3. Do you know whether the customers who brought up the issue in October 2023 received their refund prior to the articles publication?
4. That argument is getting boring.

Last edited:

Schmick

An email that people might not see. Hence it's made the news so that it can be brought to people's attention and they can take the appropriate action to check.

There's a reason I made the grandma and grandpa comment in the OP. My wife had to check her fathers account to make sure because he's not capable of doing so for himself, nevermind checking his emails. In the past he's frequently ended up with packages he doesn't need or ended up overpaying due to the way these telecoms companies operate.
Where's the news articles about those incidents?

Shwing

Don't know whats happened to BT recently, but even though their product has always been first class imo, their customer facing service recently has been shocking!
This applies to EE as well (all part of the same BT Group).
You just know when a 'guide' / customer service person says sorry, they will sort, that it won't be sorted in a million years - and it never is!
Companies like this need to be held accountable and realise it's NOT acceptable!
Don't know whats happened with the world recently, but not doing your job properly now seems to be a standard requirement of getting said job.

Topher

Gold Member
1. Its clear as day that Gamepass is being offered with Fibre, even says for how long.
QidXNuE.jpg

2. Its not MS's fuck up and you can easy cancel the GamePass subscription from your My BT account.
B5fetyE.jpg

3. Do you know whether the customers who brought up the issue in October 2023 received their refund prior to the articles publication?

Did you actually read that screenshot?

"Buy a qualifying package and we will send you details on how to activiate Xbox Game Pass Ultimate"

You do realize that the problem here are those who didn't activate a damn thing, right?

Schmick

Did you actually read that screenshot?

"Buy a qualifying package and we will send you details on how to activiate Xbox Game Pass Ultimate"

You do realize that the problem here are those who didn't activate a damn thing, right?
Yes!!! I've acknowledged there is a problem with the system. I did that further up the thread.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You’ve really got to be diligent with checking your charges with these companies.

Just going to my cell carrier AT&T to upgrade our phone and switch plans they tacked on an extra $10 monthly service I never asked for, nor wanted.

I’m guessing these guys have some deal in place with Microsoft. In the U.S. one of our cell carriers Verizon was offering free Series S and even X at one point. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they tried suckering those people into GP subs.

GHG

QidXNuE.jpg

B5fetyE.jpg

It's almost as if you're not bothering to read the article that's been posted (you wouldn't be the first that's done this in this thread, but there's a clear pattern here).

The issue is as follows - in the image you posted it says this:

8y6SOuW.jpg

Similar language is also used in their terms and conditions.

However, there are some people who are having it added to their accounts despite never activating the membership or offer.

That is the whole issue, as discussed in the article by the BBC, hence BT are asking people to check their accounts and remain vigilant.

Where's the news articles about those incidents?

Unrelated to gaming or any gaming services but you're free to post them in off-topic if you wish.

This is embarrassing for you.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yes!!! I've acknowledged there is a problem with the system. I did that further up the thread.

Good! Then it isn't a "nothing burger" at all, now is it? It is a problem with the system that has been going on far too long and it needs to be fixed. Why is that hard?

I mean....you and others defending this just because Microsoft is involved is no different than anyone making this about Microsoft.

Schmick

It's almost as if you're not bothering to read the article that's been posted (you wouldn't be the first that's done this in this thread, but there's a clear pattern here).

The issue is as follows - in the image you posted it says this:

8y6SOuW.jpg

Similar language is also used in their terms and conditions.

However, there are some people who are having it added to their accounts despite never activating the membership or offer.

That is the whole issue, as discussed in the article by the BBC, hence BT are asking people to check their accounts and remain vigilant.

Unrelated to gaming or any gaming services but you're free to post them in off-topic if you wish.

This is embarrassing for you.
I have read the article I have even taken aspects from the article to use in the conversation.

Its seems you are not reading properly since I've acknowledged there's been an issue with the charging.

And finishing your post with "This is embarrassing for you", great way to end an argument. Grow up.

Reminds me of people who buy Game Pass codes online that are form UK telcos and that sub never expires, because those people continue to pay or whatever^^

GHG

I have read the article I have even taken aspects from the article to use in the conversation.

Its seems you are not reading properly since I've acknowledged there's been an issue with the charging.

And finishing your post with "This is embarrassing for you", great way to end an argument. Grow up.

So this was your initial conclusion upon reading the article?

This is a nothing burger thread and news article!

And you're trying to tell other people to grow up?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean....you and others defending this just because Microsoft is involved is no different than anyone making this about Microsoft.

"Defending" ? um ok. It's something that was communicated to people, is a BT thing. Pointing out the posts turning this into a game pass issue issue isn't 'defending', but ok.

Schmick

Good! Then it isn't a "nothing burger" at all, now is it? It is a problem with the system that has been going on far too long and it needs to be fixed. Why is that hard?

I stated it as a nothing burger because BT have clearly been sending out refunds, customers have been receiving emails that have been charged for it and it'll show up on their monthly bill.
And yet you keep defending BT and insist that people should “read email”.
Ok, lets not read our emails then. Or check our bills, because that would be the responsible thing to do.

StereoVsn

I stated it as a nothing burger because BT have clearly been sending out refunds, customers have been receiving emails that have been charged for it and it'll show up on their monthly bill.

Ok, lets not read our emails then. Or check our bills, because that would be the responsible thing to do.
Nobody is saying folks shouldn’t check their bills or email of course.

But what you are doing is actively defending a giant corporation which is charging people without their consent and that’s especially harmful to the older folks.

Instead of being understanding of the issue and that it hurt regular people you chose to defend BT.

And for email, shit goes to Spam, it’s sometimes easy to miss. Basically the onus is on BT NOT to sign up people for shit they didn’t ask vs customers having to take action to cancel that shit. And especially if people have multiple services from BT like wireless lines, fiber, etc, it would be easy to miss £10 charge on the bill for a bit.

Paltheos

Not entirely the same, but I'm suddenly reminded of a change in New York's auto insurance law. Last year, providers were required to offer supplemental spousal coverage on their policies, but here's the catch: They automatically enrolled everyone. At least State Farm did - I don't know about everyone else. At least I got a letter about it, but being notified that I, a single man, was just having spousal coverage added to my policy against my will and more importantly that my rate was going up for it is not something I took kindly.

Schmick

So this was your initial conclusion upon reading the article?

And you're trying to tell other people to grow up?
Fine... I'll re-write what I said.

This article is overblowing or overhyping a situation that is being resolved by a way refunding the customers. Customers are being informed that they are being charge (wrongly or rightly) by an email sent directly from BT. The charge will appear in their bill.

Schmick

Nobody is saying folks shouldn’t check their bills or email of course.

But what you are doing is actively defending a giant corporation which is charging people without their consent and that’s especially harmful to the older folks.

Instead of being understanding of the issue and that it hurt regular people you chose to defend BT.

And for email, shit goes to Spam, it’s sometimes easy to miss. Basically the onus is on BT NOT to sign up people for shit they didn’t ask vs customers having to take action to cancel that shit. And especially if people have multiple services from BT like wireless lines, fiber, etc, it would be easy to miss £10 charge on the bill for a bit.
Am I really defending a giant corporation when all I'm saying is "shit happens".

And before you say yes because its a giant corporation and these things shouldn't happen... the simple fact is they do.

If the article had said BT did this on purpose or they did this and purposely hid it from everyone (in which case no email would have been sent) then there you have a scandal.

Top Bottom