• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg] Sony plans on producing 2 million PSVR2 units by March 2023

Kagey K

Banned
If the price is right it should sell more.

- It's much more accessible than PSVR with just one cable plugged to the front of the PS5. No cam setup needed. No breakout box.

- Add to that the 4k OLED screen compared to the very low res screen door effect PSVR had.

- Also the better controllers compared to the Move.

They just need the games for it, which shouldn't be a problem as even the PSVR had a lot of them.

It's just a much better product overall.
I still don't see it, but they have a few months to prove me wrong.

I'm really looking forward to playing Astrobot:RM, if it gets a port to PSVR2. If not, it'll at least get a sequel. I think the big thing holding VR back was resolution. It seems newer headsets have that problem fixed.

Monumental for VR. But it's still a relatively small number. The context of my sentence was that a lot of people have still not tried VR. Wii U has all it's games ported to Switch because so few people played them. In the broader context of "gaming consumers" it's still a pretty small number.

But yeah, if PSVR2 sells 14 million that would be a huge increase for them for sure, and be a great result. It still wouldn't be a huge enough numbers for a large AAA library though, especially if the games aren't $70. People should just expect a more realistic library is all I'm saying. But I expect PSVR2 will be in high demand and will sell well. Waiting on the price though.

I think VR games can be produced much more cheaply than traditional AAA, but still feature that AAA Fidelity and production

They will be smaller scale (typically), kind of like half life Alyx vs something like assassins creed

I will say that my dream VR game is basically a first person open world Zelda clone with dark souls elements, I really think VR is perfect for solving puzzles with unique tools you earn in dungeons

lachesis

It's good thing that PSVR2 have more unified controlling scheme. PSVR1 was somewhat confusing - that I didn't know I had to buy move controller separately (hence my bundle was pretty cheap)

If they just keep the pricing low and competitive, I'm definitely interested - especially if they allow it to be used on PC too.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think VR games can be produced much more cheaply than traditional AAA, but still feature that AAA Fidelity and production

They will be smaller scale (typically), kind of like half life Alyx vs something like assassins creed

I will say that my dream VR game is basically a first person open world Zelda clone with dark souls elements, I really think VR is perfect for solving puzzles with unique tools you earn in dungeons
Random dream game idea: I'd like a top down Zelda similar to the 3DS one where you can look over the whole dungeon like it's a small board game on the floor or something.

hlm666

Random dream game idea: I'd like a top down Zelda similar to the 3DS one where you can look over the whole dungeon like it's a small board game on the floor or something.
that will probably be the first kind of game meta create for their AR mode, the game will sit on your table and you'll walk around it etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
Day 1 for me, as usual.

Very unlikely the price exceeds $499 since they’ll have to consider the optics of an accessory costing more than the base console.

$499 for the tech they’ve got in it would not be a challenging price at all. Though I think they’d probably prefer to be closer to the $399 mark to move a lot of units. Same strategy with the PS5 DE. Ecosystem lock + make the money back in software

reksveks

Though I think they’d probably prefer to be closer to the $399 mark to move a lot of units. Same strategy with the PS5 DE. Ecosystem lock + make the money back in software
Would be good to know what the software attach rate for psvr and vr hardware is in general.

I think it's lower and at lower prices as well.

Day 1 for me, as usual.

Very unlikely the price exceeds $499 since they’ll have to consider the optics of an accessory costing more than the base console.

$499 for the tech they’ve got in it would not be a challenging price at all. Though I think they’d probably prefer to be closer to the $399 mark to move a lot of units. Same strategy with the PS5 DE. Ecosystem lock + make the money back in software
Maybe $399 in the US and €449 in Europe.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Doubt.

We will have to revisit this in a few years.

Players that felt burnt from PSVR won't buy again, new players will, but nothing they have shown convinces anyone except the converted so far.

Need software to back up the tech, and none of it is to be seen.

I'll admit I was wrong if I am, but the selling point isn't there yet.

the hardware wasn't the problem last time, it was the software. I have one and I hardly use it. some games were amazing, wipeout being the stand out for me but then other games like GT sport felt half baked idea. potential is there but I don't think it will be mass market until they have AAA stand lone games that need VR

Resenge

the hardware wasn't the problem last time, it was the software. I have one and I hardly use it. some games were amazing, wipeout being the stand out for me but then other games like GT sport felt half baked idea. potential is there but I don't think it will be mass market until they have AAA stand lone games that need VR
I loved the games on PSVR but personally it is the hardware that stops me setting it up and playing it. It was the first headset to come out with a good amount of proper full games that felt like full games instead of tech demos, Firewall (need another Aim controller Sony please), Astrobot, Rush of blood, Statik, Farpoint, Blood and truth, Wipeout. I would love to revisit those games but I am so spoilt with the Quest 2.

I used to put so much effort into setting up my VR headsets, Vive trackers needing a dedicated space for tracking, PSVR with the camera setup and Its such a ball ache to setup the camera and get it right so there is less tracking problems. I just CBA now that tracking tech is maturing. Putting a headset on, turning on the console/headset and drawing out a boundry is all the preperation I want to do.

I am day one with the PSVR 2 though. Dissapointed that it's not wireless but not overally. Excited because I know if Sony want to, they will throw some good games at it, just like PSVR had compared to PCVR at that time in history. Right now VR needs some new good games.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I loved the games on PSVR but personally it is the hardware that stops me setting it up and playing it. It was the first headset to come out with proper full games that felt like full games instead of tech demos, Firewall, Astrobot, Rush of blood, Statik, Farpoint, Blood and truth, Wipeout. I would love to revisit those games but I am so spoilt with the Quest 2.

I used to put so much effort into setting up my VR headsets, Vive trackers needing a dedicated space for tracking, PSVR with the camera setup and Its such a ball ache to setup the camera and get it right so there is less tracking problems. I just CBA now that tracking tech is maturing. Putting a headset on, turning on the console/headset and drawing out a boundry is all the preperation I want to do.

I am day one with the PSVR 2 though. Dissapointed that it's not wireless but not overally. Excited because I know if Sony want to, that will throw some good games at it, just like PSVR had compared to PCVR at that time in history. Right now VR needs some new good games.

go on the VR part of the Sony store on PS4 and there is hardly any games its all tech demos or short experiences

Resenge

go on the VR part of the Sony store on PS4 and there is hardly any games its all tech demos or short experiences

just like PSVR had compared to PCVR at that time in history.

There has always been a massive amount of tech demo type crap in VR, that is my main problem with VR at the moment but I am talking about a specific time, not the present. Things have moved on since then.

Once the Rift S/Quest came out it was over for PSVR.

Last edited:

Calverz

PSVR2 is baffling to me. Look at how much meta has poured into making quest 2 a relative success. Usually Sony are careful with money after ps3 days.

I expect Jim Ryan’s tenure hanging on the balance of whether this is a long term success or not. I mean a couple of years ago he put doubt in whether this was actually going to go ahead. It will be interesting to see how it did in a few years time. I wouldn’t be surprised if after a year, they release firmware making it pc compatible. Is that even possible? I don’t know.

mxbison

PSVR2 is baffling to me. Look at how much meta has poured into making quest 2 a relative success. Usually Sony are careful with money after ps3 days.

I expect Jim Ryan’s tenure hanging on the balance of whether this is a long term success or not. I mean a couple of years ago he put doubt in whether this was actually going to go ahead. It will be interesting to see how it did in a few years time. I wouldn’t be surprised if after a year, they release firmware making it pc compatible. Is that even possible? I don’t know.

It's a USB headset with standard tracking and controller tech. There is no way it's not pc compatible no matter what Sony does.

But yeah "official" support by Sony would obviously be the best case scenario.

GymWolf

Vr Creed GIF by Leroy Patterson
Stallone he is no more.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's a USB headset with standard tracking and controller tech. There is no way it's not pc compatible no matter what Sony does.

I don't think Sony will make it official without a Sony PC store or a price bump.

It's going to sell day 1 to the converted. It's after that they could have problems.

That 2 mil will sell day 1 and half will be on ebay. I dont see them climbing higher than PSvR 1 by much with the current design.

Quest sells for a reason PSVR can't provide
The most wrong post of the day

Congratulations

Winter John

Gold Member
Oh man, I guess that means in April there's gonna be 2 million people looking at a dusty VR headset wondering why the fuck they bought the thing

Ozriel

M$FT
the hardware wasn't the problem last time, it was the software. I have one and I hardly use it.

The hardware WAS the problem for me. Too many cumbersome wires tracking over my living room + the extra box. Way too much hassle everytime I brought it out.

This single cable setup for the PSVR2 + inside out tracking ( no external camera needed) is a godsend.

I actually think the software was a strong point. Sony put very decent effort in supporting the accessory. Pretty much why I was so heartbroken to hear no BC, but I expect many older games will be enhanced and ported over

Calverz

Yea I wasn’t sure if there was something technical acting as a barrier or whether it’s just “official” support as you say.

I’m sure modders will have it working on pc fairly quickly then

mxbison

Yea I wasn’t sure if there was something technical acting as a barrier or whether it’s just “official” support as you say.

I’m sure modders will have it working on pc fairly quickly then

I hope you won't even need modders and Steam will support it just like the Playstation controllers.

We'll see. Sony can be pretty weird with these things, like the standard PSVR media player not supporting 3D content lol.

Calverz

I hope you won't even need modders and Steam will support it just like the Playstation controllers.

We'll see. Sony can be pretty weird with these things, like the standard PSVR media player not supporting 3D content lol.
We’ll see what happens. I wouldn’t be surprised if after a couple of years pc gets official support and the games make their way to steam.

0neAnd0nly

Sony missing a golden opportunity to call it “PSVR REMASTERED” since they love remastering every thing that scored above 80 on metacritic in the last decade.

Last edited:

Celine

Top down board game is the concept upon which is based the "holographic" game system Tilt Five (it's powered by an external PC and at later stage Android smartphones).

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Ok I'm convinced. I didn't see these same predictions when PSVR came out and they were calling Oculus and Vive last gen headsets.

You win.
Go play prey. Then come back. Not on your series. Play on your xbone

Last edited:

Resenge

Demeo is proof that tabletop VR games work well. I love the idea of tabletop VR games. VR does not have to always be FPS type games with motion controls and I am looking forward to trying other types of genres.

Top down board game is the concept upon which is based the "holographic" game system Tilt Five (it's powered by an external PC and at later stage Android smartphones).

Still waiting on my pre order to come through. I hope these glasses get the backing and Dev support they deserve but I get the feeling they will be outclassed pretty quickly with Quest pro/Quest 3 and maybe the Apple headset. VR headsets with AR abilities seems like the next step.

Last edited:

Louay

Doubt.

We will have to revisit this in a few years.

Players that felt burnt from PSVR won't buy again, new players will, but nothing they have shown convinces anyone except the converted so far.

Need software to back up the tech, and none of it is to be seen.

I'll admit I was wrong if I am, but the selling point isn't there yet.
there is also price factor PSVR 2 might be $500 or higher. although i don't if it will crush PSVR 1 numbers in short time.

Here comes the scalpers. I feel like they should be a lot more ambitious this time and aim for something like 15m+ lifetime sales, but to achieve that they'll have to put the work and be really smart about providing content for the device. The lack of Half-Life: Alyx is already concerning and a strong sign that they don't get it.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
No doubt in my mind that they will sell out on launch. PSVR2 will definitely outperform PSVR1 and it will have a better game library.

I’m in the ball park of 10 to 15 million but potentially even more if the software is there.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Shame the thing has a wire though. Kind of kills it for me.

For me the real issue is the bulk of that thing, just like with all VR headsets so far. After seeing the small size of the upcoming Quest Pro, all other headsets now look horribly unwieldy.

l0dts1ys9an91.jpg

That’s how a VR headset should look. Everything else looks like a Virtual Boy in comparison.

Goalus

For me the real issue is the bulk of that thing, just like with all VR headsets so far. After seeing the small size of the upcoming Quest Pro, all other headsets now look horribly unwieldy.

l0dts1ys9an91.jpg

That’s how a VR headset should look. Everything else looks like a Virtual Boy in comparison.
Next week we'll know more.
Originally I wanted to wait for Quest 3, but the more I read about Quest Pro, the more I want it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sony be smart to bundle them with ps5, might beable to get a ps5 at retail then.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The hardware WAS the problem for me. Too many cumbersome wires tracking over my living room + the extra box. Way too much hassle everytime I brought it out.

This single cable setup for the PSVR2 + inside out tracking ( no external camera needed) is a godsend.

I actually think the software was a strong point. Sony put very decent effort in supporting the accessory. Pretty much why I was so heartbroken to hear no BC, but I expect many older games will be enhanced and ported over

The extra box sits behind the console so no biggie. The only cable that is bothersome is the cable attached to the VR unit itself.

Has Sony fully confirmed it will be a usb C cable and that’s it? Haven seen that yet but fingers crossed

So what software was strong?

How many AAA games were fully playable in VR?

Wipeout, resident evil? What else? I know loads of games had addon features like GT sport but it got boring racing one car round the circuit.

Top Bottom