• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg] Sony plans on producing 2 million PSVR2 units by March 2023

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I agree with you that there isn't enough good games and we need more better games, I get you, but to say there isn't any good games is wrong. There are some great games just drowning in a sea of shit games, as
I mentined earlier Astrobot was a system seller.

There was a time when PSVR had the best games, it may not look like it now but back when it first came out PSVR was pushing the best games in VR and they still have some of the best exclusive games in all of VR. Not many but they are there.

I am living on hopium that Sony has put some clout behind this one and going to bring out games like the OG PSVR had back at the start of its life and keep pushing.

You say you tried Doom VR, did you try Doom 3 on the PSVR? I haven't personally but the Dr Beef port on the Quest is top notch, also the original dooms with the brutal doom mods on Quest are amazing ports. Not official but thought I would mention them anyway.

I have Doom 3 and yes I have it on VR but its an old game, and its not massively gonna sell a system is it? there are some good games on VR not denying it but there isn't enough on there. how long has PSVR been out now? 6 years ago? and we are talking about a 2004 game being on VR

Sony needs to invest more in full AAA first party games for VR because at the moment its just not good enough

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I didn't. Because I want to play them in a decent headset. Psvr1 was a piece of shit. My point wasn't if I play them or not. You were talking about system sellers. They are all system sellers for me. Its like saying gta6 isn't a system seller because i haven't play it. Also I mentioned doom 3 not the one you are talking about

so Doom 3, yes I have it and played it. a 2004 game in VR is that something we are really saying is a great game for VR? I would rather come back with Star Wars squadrons or resident evil tbh more modern games are push the system.

you say those games are system sellers and we have over 116 million ps4 sold and yet only 5 million PSVr sold. hardly system sellers then? I love the hardware but the software support is poor

SLB1904

Banned
you say those games are system sellers and we have over 116 million ps4 sold and yet only 5 million PSVr sold. hardly system sellers then? I love the hardware but the software support is poor
Psvr 1 wasn't good terrible controls , low resolution screen bunch cables inconvenient to set up. You out if your mind if you think a pice of crap that sold over 5mil is bad. Lmfao
Loads of people skip psvr1 because of that. I play my vr few times and only did was selling on the next gen with proper controls and great resolution
Also this idiotic takes about install base and sales aren't correlated at all, by your logic gamepass is a massive failure with I don't know how many window pcs, xboone and series console, tvs, mobile and still have like only 20mil subscribers and costs like 5 dollars or so a month.

Logic man

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Psvr 1 wasn't good terrible controls , low resolution screen bunch cables inconvenient to set up. You out if your mind if you think a pice of crap that sold over 5mil is bad. Lmfao
Loads of people skip psvr1 because of that. I play my vr few times and only did was selling on the next gen with proper controls and great resolution
Also this idiotic takes about install base and sales aren't correlated at all, by your logic gamepass is a massive failure with I don't know how many window pcs, xboone and series console, tvs, mobile and still have like only 20mil subscribers and costs like 5 dollars or so a month.

Logic man

so at the time PSVr as the most affordable way to get VR and yes the tech has moved on since. you saying the install base inst low?

Moses85

car jump GIF

SLB1904

Banned
so at the time PSVr as the most affordable way to get VR and yes the tech has moved on since. you saying the install base inst low?
For fuck sake is nothing to do with price. Quest would never have sold what it did if was like psvr. People want something to easy pick up and use. No one is recommendeding you psvr at the state it was. They literally just sold an headsets with ps3 moves for 400 quid and saying the install base is low lmfao.

midnightAI

I said quest 2 had foveated rendering, i never said it had eye tracking.
Eye tracking will make foveated rendering better, but its still possible without it, its even been done on some console or pc game.

Yes you would need some on board processing for a wireless version to compensate for the lack of a wired connection to a compute device.

PSVR2 could be done wirelessly, it would just cost to much right now.
I belive using wifi or proprietary streaming technologies a VR experience on par with wired could be achieved, it would just cost more then sony is willing to spend or charge the customer.

You are talking about Fixed Foveated Rendering (FFR), its different to Foveated Rendering (FR), FFR doesnt really work for VR because it just makes everything off center blurry so you cant just look at something you have to turn your head (nasty)

You cant do much processing for the foveated rendering on device (just get some coordinates for what you are looking at, all of the processing must be done on the PS5 because it has to render what it needs and send it to the device to in order for FR to work. Can you track the eyes, send the data to the PS5, get the PS5 to render the foveated image (4K), send that back to the VR displays and do all that in below 40ms via wifi consistently? (the answer is no by the way)

Like I said, there is technical reasons why the PSVR 2 is wired, and FR is the next gen leap that VR needs. It isnt cost (we dont even know the price of PSVR2), a wfi 6 chip will cost Sony, what, $10? dont you think for $10 more Sony would add wifi if they could?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
For fuck sake is nothing to do with price. Quest would never have sold what it did if was like psvr. People want something to easy pick up and use. No one is recommendeding you psvr at the state it was. They literally just sold an headsets with ps3 moves for 400 quid and saying the install base is low lmfao.

Again the softwares was the weak side of it and still is to this date

SLB1904

Banned
Again the softwares was the weak side of it and still is to this date
Not really. All those 19 games I listed are great games and there loads more. Also who gives a shit a this point. Psvr was an experiment that clearly worked for them. Now we getting a proper product that will be able to get more games tgat weren't possible before due to controls

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not really. All those 19 games I listed are great games and there loads more. Also who gives a shit a this point. Psvr was an experiment that clearly worked for them. Now we getting a proper product that will be able to get more games tgat weren't possible before due to controls

Great games but you haven’t played them? You listed Doom and Doom VR is not a great game. Then mentioned doom 3 a 2004 game.

Software support in terms of really good games on PSVR is poor.

Do you even have PSVR?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the walking dead
farpoint
astro
re7
blood and truth or whatver
no mans sky
wipout
skyrim
hitman
moss
ironman
star war squadrons
doom
the persistance
firewall zero hour
ghost giant
beat saber
tetris effect

i mean

So mega critic

Ironman 73
Ghost giant 80
Star Wars squadrons 79
Farpoint 71

Just a few, nothing stellar about those review scores and I own some of them. I stand by my point, those games are not gonna make you go out a buy a VR system. I can spen more time getting the review scores in the other games if you want?

SLB1904

Banned
So mega critic

Ironman 73
Ghost giant 80
Star Wars squadrons 79
Farpoint 71

Just a few, nothing stellar about those review scores and I own some of them. I stand by my point, those games are not gonna make you go out a buy a VR system. I can spen more time getting the review scores in the other games if you want?

You just being awkward at this point.
I keep repeating myself about how subpar psvr1 is compared to everything else on the market
Most of these games are being held bsck by the controls... Jesus Christ. And still these are amazing reviews for what it is. I don't get your point?
OK let's do this. Let's see how people react when we get the psvr2 pre orders open.

Now we getting a proper product that will be able to get more games tgat weren't possible before due to controls

I mean instead of abandoning VR they chose to listen to the criticism and develop an improved product.

What's wrong with having better options?

🤷‍♂️

Hopefully no-one is turning this into a Sony thing.

Should’ve delayed it to include pancake lenses and built in headphones, biggest problem with vr is bluk and weight, both of these would greatly reduced them, don’t see this doing any better then psvr1

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You get used to it pretty fast, your body adapts. I can play FPS games for hours now, when I first started playing I would feel nauseous after 5 minutes. Plus there are several ways of handling first person motion to make it easier on people who have issues. My kids however were straight on virtual rollercoasters from hell with no ill effects.
Everyone I know who got a VR stopped using it because of its comfort level, this is the first time this has ever happened to me with a tech device.
People will have different tolerances but its how the human body works, if your vision is seeing your body move but your real body does not move your body thinks its been poisoned or something, I think it was john carmack explaining it on the joe Rogan podcast.

Its why these type of VR games will never be hugely popular its like 3d TVs but worse. Roomscale games are better.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You just being awkward at this point.
I keep repeating myself about how subpar psvr1 is compared to everything else on the market
Most of these games are being held bsck by the controls... Jesus Christ. And still these are amazing reviews for what it is. I don't get your point?
OK let's do this. Let's see how people react when we get the psvr2 pre orders open.

my point stands, the software was never good enough. not being awkward

again do you have PSVR? how many of those games have you played?

SLB1904

Banned
my point stands, the software was never good enough. not being awkward

again do you have PSVR? how many of those games have you played?
Why are you keeping repeating the same thing?
I told I play a few a own most of them never finish one because I knew vr 2 is coming.
I rather play them on a better headset and controls. Now I want a remaster version of those games so I can enjoy it properly

Sosokrates

You are talking about Fixed Foveated Rendering (FFR), its different to Foveated Rendering (FR), FFR doesnt really work for VR because it just makes everything off center blurry so you cant just look at something you have to turn your head (nasty)

You cant do much processing for the foveated rendering on device (just get some coordinates for what you are looking at, all of the processing must be done on the PS5 because it has to render what it needs and send it to the device to in order for FR to work. Can you track the eyes, send the data to the PS5, get the PS5 to render the foveated image (4K), send that back to the VR displays and do all that in below 40ms via wifi consistently? (the answer is no by the way)

Like I said, there is technical reasons why the PSVR 2 is wired, and FR is the next gen leap that VR needs. It isnt cost (we dont even know the price of PSVR2), a wfi 6 chip will cost Sony, what, $10? dont you think for $10 more Sony would add wifi if they could?

The point is dynamic eye tracking and foveated rendering could be done on mobile hardware.
For PSVR2, it would need wifi 6 or additional streaming hardware, a battery and possibly onboard processing plus there would be the additional R+D costs to develop this tech. So it is cost.

The ps5 usbc port is 10GBps, wifi6 has a max bandwidth of 9.6Gbps, additional work need to be done because even wifi6 is not as solid as a wired connection, they may need a dual wifi6 connection to compensate if one fails momentarily.

Resenge

I have Doom 3 and yes I have it on VR but its an old game, and its not massively gonna sell a system is it? there are some good games on VR not denying it but there isn't enough on there. how long has PSVR been out now? 6 years ago? and we are talking about a 2004 game being on VR

Sony needs to invest more in full AAA first party games for VR because at the moment its just not good enough
My point is back when PSVR came out there was some great games, better than any other VR ecosystem had, of course that has changed now. PSVR is essentially abandoned for PSVR2 and things have changed with Devs porting their games to Quest and PCVR, but there was a time where if you wanted a proper full release VR game, PSVR was where they were at not PCVR. I am expecting that to happen with PSVR 2, Sony pushing the big full sized VR games. There was also talk of Sony wanting flat screen games to have an optional VR mode which is something I would be very excited for.

It's still early days and I am expecting more PSVR 2 game announcments before launch. There was talk of 30+ 20 games at launch? No idea how true that is though.

Last edited:

vivftp

My point is back when PSVR came out there was some great games, better than any other VR ecosystem had, of course that has changed now. PSVR is essentially abandoned for PSVR2 and things have changed with Devs porting their games to Quest and PCVR, but there was a time where if you wanted a proper full release VR game, PSVR was where they were at not PCVR. I am expecting that to happen with PSVR 2, Sony pushing the big full sized VR games. There was also talk of Sony wanting flat screen games to have an optional VR mode which is something I would be very excited for.

It's still early days and I am expecting more PSVR 2 game announcments before launch. There was talk of 30+ games at launch? No idea how true that is though.

20+

SLB1904

Banned

It's still early days and I am expecting more PSVR 2 game announcments before launch. There was talk of 30+ games at launch? No idea how true that is though.
not only that but loads of devs were pretty open about how difficult was to get their games on psvr because of the controls, psvr2 now a standard vr controls we should get a lot pc ports like boneworks and so on

Last edited:

midnightAI

The point is dynamic eye tracking and foveated rendering could be done on mobile hardware.
For PSVR2, it would need wifi 6 or additional streaming hardware, a battery and possibly onboard processing plus there would be the additional R+D costs to develop this tech. So it is cost.

The ps5 usbc port is 10GBps, wifi6 has a max bandwidth of 9.6Gbps, additional work need to be done because even wifi6 is not as solid as a wired connection, they may need a dual wifi6 connection to compensate if one fails momentarily.
How would the foveated rendering be done in the headset? It needs to be done by the PS5 GPU.

And to do dual WiFi 6 you'd also need two WiFi chips inside the PS5, it doesn't have that.

You seriously think that Sony wouldn't have looked at Quest and done R&D on making it wireless? If it was as simple as just adding $20-$30 to the price to add WiFi they would have done that or at least had two versions.

Sosokrates

How would the foveated rendering be done in the headset? It needs to be done by the PS5 GPU.

And to do dual WiFi 6 you'd also need two WiFi chips inside the PS5, it doesn't have that.

You seriously think that Sony wouldn't have looked at Quest and done R&D on making it wireless? If it was as simple as just adding $20-$30 to the price to add WiFi they would have done that or at least had two versions.
Im saying price must be the reason, because it is technically possible to do.

It's good thing that PSVR2 have more unified controlling scheme. PSVR1 was somewhat confusing - that I didn't know I had to buy move controller separately (hence my bundle was pretty cheap)

If they just keep the pricing low and competitive, I'm definitely interested - especially if they allow it to be used on PC too.
If they allow it to be used on PC too then it’s a no brainier for me personally. I’ll definitely snap one of those up. With their move into the PC arena, I can see this happening and cross play on their VR games being a thing. It just makes so much sense at this point.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why are you keeping repeating the same thing?
I told I play a few a own most of them never finish one because I knew vr 2 is coming.
I rather play them on a better headset and controls. Now I want a remaster version of those games so I can enjoy it properly

You do know that PSVR games are not backwards comparable on PSVR2

Ok, but you still haven't told me how it's technically possible, I've explained why I think it isn't technically possible (too much lag between eye tracking, rendering and then output if using WiFi as we need to try and keep it under 40ms ideally due to eye saccade)
I agree. Wireless would be a massive technical hurdle for them, latency would be absolutely awful for a lot of people. Consumers would buy this thing just expecting it to work and if you have a slow connection or a bad router, Sony can’t really help you fix that issue. This would be bad for them from a PR perspective.

This would also cost them a huge amount in technical support. Once the technology is there, I’m sure it will be included in future, but for now, a wire works.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Last edited:

midnightAI

It can, in ideal situations, with nothing else using up your WiFi 6 connection, whereas USB C is around 30 microseconds (0.03ms, it will be more in the real world though but still much faster). It isn't just the immediate latency though, it's how fast it can send that data reliably. It all just adds up and with too much delay it can't keep up with your eye movements which would be really bad.

Sosokrates

It can, in ideal situations, with nothing else using up your WiFi 6 connection, whereas USB C is around 30 microseconds (0.03ms, it will be more in the real world though but still much faster). It isn't just the immediate latency though, it's how fast it can send that data reliably. It all just adds up and with too much delay it can't keep up with your eye movements which would be really bad.

Pretty sure sony would be able to create a better solution then this or license this tech.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Pretty sure sony would be able to create a better solution then this or license this tech.

I'm sure they could but that uses Wifi 6E, which the PS5 doesn't have (and wasnt available when the PS5 launched), and even then we are still looking at 2-6ms vs 0.03ms for wired (I personally dont believe that less than 1ms claim). That solution uses a completely separate wifi router just for the headset to keep latency down (come on, $400 just for this wifi +battery setup? thats probably just as expensive as the entire PSVR2 headset)

I'm not saying that wireless VR isn't possible with future products by the way, I'm just saying that with the PS5 I don't think its possible and foveated rendering + the headset 4k resolution is the cause. I think Sony did the right thing, I'd much rather have foveated rendering and higher resolution than wireless.

I'm just waiting for the announcement that GTA5 is playable on PSVR2. Then later on we get the announcement that GTA6 will also be playable on PSVR2. That'll push a ludicrous amount of headsets all on its own. No doubt we'll get things like MLB, GT7 and Spider-Man VR modes/entries as well. Can't wait to see what the full launch lineup is, considering we've only seen "sneak peaks" so far.

GTA 6 with Index support Now that would be spice!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It can, in ideal situations, with nothing else using up your WiFi 6 connection, whereas USB C is around 30 microseconds (0.03ms, it will be more in the real world though but still much faster).
Intel's WiGig has a roundtrip latency of 10 microseconds. It's what's been used in all the wireless VR adapters to date.
It's not perfect - it's rather short-range, and requires line-of-sight or small room with reflections to work, and adapter alone costs 300-400 Euros.
But it does deliver comparable latency to wired experience (And enough bandwidth to carry VR resolution/hz).
You're right that any solution that isn't near-zero latency wouldn't work as you can't do latency compensation (which Quest 2 uses for its PC wireless) for a foveated signal.

Gamers and customers are concerned with a quality product. and pancake ports have been inferior the majority of the time.
Yes they are inferior - but clearly customers find them appealing anyway. RE7 did really well, as did RE4, Skyrim and Fallout - and those 3 were just ancient game conversions.
For better or worse - there's clear indicators people want their full-experience of big IPs in VR, even if it's a straight port.

Pretty bizarre you are making an argument on behalf of the game company. I mean we are talking about whats best for the gamer right.
My argument wasn't about the company, but market at large. If everyone is just chasing one single strategy, there's not much to get out of different devices. It's totally fair to say pancake ports aren't adding a ton of 'value' - but if that brings more investment into VR overall (investment at scale that will not happen on the back of exclusives anytime soon, if ever), that's still a net win for the medium.

In my experience motion like sitting in a plane or starship and seeing the scenery out the window is ok in VR, but whenever you're virtual body moves but your real body does not it actually causes a physical reaction with your body, there is nothing that can be done to get rid of this problem unless your real body moves in sync with the virtual body, this aint a debate, its a biological fact.
Sickness triggers come in many different flavors (and impact different people differently) eg: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10447318.2020.1778351. Cockpits also aren't some silver bullet either (lots of such games are pretty hard on the stomach still).
Personally I've worked on locomotion systems that people responded really well to - but I've been out of the game for a number of years now, so I expect research has long since moved beyond that too. That said I recall quite a long time ago reading on some promising research about use of haptics to combat simulator-sickness effects, so it'll be interesting to see how that works with PSVR2.

You're right that any solution that isn't near-zero latency wouldn't work as you can't do latency compensation (which Quest 2 uses for its PC wireless) for a foveated signal.

Faf, just some random stream-of-consciousness here. If money was no object, could you do a form a processing on a sparse matrix of eye-location locally on your Snapdragon XR2 then update the main rendering loop asynchronously? Saccades are basically ballistic movements on the order of 20-200ms. Could you detect and map out a probabilistic vector space locally and then pay the signaling cost at lower frequency that way? Or is it just needlessly complicating it?

I ask because that's how a biological system would design it.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I cant wait to NOT find a PSVR to go with my PS5 I still cant find unless its scalper pricing
Scalping peripherals that are only compatible with another commanly scalped piece of tech seems rather risky, so not that worried. Now.. high demand due to people giving it a quick try, only to flip it later, that seems like a probable scenario.

Justin9mm

Ill be happy if vr was just a light gun game machine. Give me vr cop, time crisis, point blank, silent scope, until dawn, dead space on rails shooters in 3d and ill be happy. Is that too much to ask? 1st person games in vr are still too clunky for me with its movement and teleport mechanics.

Vr would be super dope if they can turn a large space into a vr arena/battlefield with multiple users with full freedom of movement. Think virtual paintball/laser tag in a big warehouse. Someone can prob make a fortune making a place like this for kids parties.
The first thing I thought of when VR gaming became a thing, especially with the original PSVR was Time Crisis, I'm shocked no one has re-created that yet! With current gen graphics, it would be amazing on rails VR game. I have to think someone out there right now is discussing these games you mentioned for VR.

There is a game on Quest 2 called Dead Second that they say is like Time Crisis, but you manually move/teleport forward I believe and the graphics are naff. It's not the same to me at all.

midnightAI

The first thing I thought of when VR gaming became a thing, especially with the original PSVR was Time Crisis, I'm shocked no one has re-created that yet! With current gen graphics, it would be amazing on rails VR game. I have to think someone out there right now is discussing these games you mentioned for VR.

There is a game on Quest 2 called Dead Second that they say is like Time Crisis, but you manually move/teleport forward I believe and the graphics are naff. It's not the same to me at all.
Blood and Truth is closest (and is awesome)

Justin9mm

Blood and Truth is closest (and is awesome)
This is one I'm hoping is ported/upgraded to PSVR2.

Did not get around to playing this one, I got sick of the setup for PSVR1 as I had a Pro and HDR 4K TV with original breakout box and kept having to unplug and switch all the HDMI cables for HDR and it became such a chore every time I wanted to play and got rid of it before I got a chance to play it.

Internal camera tracking/setup and single cable for PSVR2 makes it a Day 1 purchase for me. I'm good with that.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Faf, just some random stream-of-consciousness here. If money was no object, could you do a form a processing on a sparse matrix of eye-location locally on your Snapdragon XR2 then update the main rendering loop asynchronously? Saccades are basically ballistic movements on the order of 20-200ms. Could you detect and map out a probabilistic vector space locally and then pay the signaling cost at lower frequency that way? Or is it just needlessly complicating it?
You mean map out predicted eye-orientations in the latency-band you're compensating for and render that instead of just a single position? I suppose that could work - but it degrades the effectiveness of the Foveated approach, and indeed - adds a fair bit of complexity to manage.
If you're thinking to do late adjustments into render-loop for more 'correct' position - that's already what happens anyway - all VR sensor data used for the game & render loop is predicted/'in-the future' when you sample it - by the amount of motion-2-photon latency (between ~35-50ms on your typical 60fps game).
On top of that - applications that optimize more, will try to 'late-latch' the sensor reads as far back in the loop as possible. But theoretical limit of that is 'the moment rendering runs its first camera-transform' - so theoretical limit for smallest amount of prediction needed is approximately one VBlank.

I ask because that's how a biological system would design it.
Interesting - hats off to evolution ;)
I guess it kinda makes sense, given biological signalling is relatively high-latency IIRC.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There's also Rush of Blood, and Bravo Squad that are both good in their own right - interestingly it's mostly 1st party games that attempted variations on this genre.
But all 3 attempts highlight that direct translation of the genre is not for those with weak stomach in VR (driving segments in B&T and well - the entire Rush of Blood) - Bravo Squad cleverly avoided the motion bits - but it shows 1:1 translation of arcade Light Gun games to VR isn't the best idea.

Will be interesting to see if PSVR2 haptics allow developers to push the envelope here further.

Crayon

A few of the impressions mentioned it being very light. I hope that's the case. Getting lighter is as important as getting smaller.

Did not get around to playing this one, I got sick of the setup for PSVR1 as I had a Pro and HDR 4K TV with original breakout box and kept having to unplug and switch all the HDMI cables for HDR and it became such a chore every time I wanted to play and got rid of it before I got a chance to play it.

Internal camera tracking/setup and single cable for PSVR2 makes it a Day 1 purchase for me. I'm good with that.

I am in the same boat

There are so many VR games I didn't play, not because I wasn't interested, but because of the cumbersome set-up and fuzzy image quality

Will gladly pick up so many PS4 VR games that I missed out on with those to features fixed

vivftp

I have a strong feeling that Sony will integrate VR mode (play and spectate) into MLB. If it becomes popular I wonder if other sports games might choose to at least add a VR spectate mode to their games.

Three

I have a strong feeling that Sony will integrate VR mode (play and spectate) into MLB. If it becomes popular I wonder if other sports games might choose to at least add a VR spectate mode to their games.
I hadn't even considered MLB. That is actually a good one to add to VR for depth perception and PSVR controllers.

Top Bottom