• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg] Sony plans on producing 2 million PSVR2 units by March 2023

vivftp

With the sheer amount of consoles Sony are said to be pushing next year, I can see a scenario where they've also secured a very large amount of components for PSVR2 as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed the lifetime sales of the PSVR in the first year, considering 2 million is about 1/3rd the lifetime sales of PSVR and they plan to have that ready for launch.

vivftp

I'm just waiting for the announcement that GTA5 is playable on PSVR2. Then later on we get the announcement that GTA6 will also be playable on PSVR2. That'll push a ludicrous amount of headsets all on its own. No doubt we'll get things like MLB, GT7 and Spider-Man VR modes/entries as well. Can't wait to see what the full launch lineup is, considering we've only seen "sneak peaks" so far.

Kagey K

Banned
With the sheer amount of consoles Sony are said to be pushing next year, I can see a scenario where they've also secured a very large amount of components for PSVR2 as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed the lifetime sales of the PSVR in the first year, considering 2 million is about 1/3rd the lifetime sales of PSVR and they plan to have that ready for launch.
It's going to sell day 1 to the converted. It's after that they could have problems.

That 2 mil will sell day 1 and half will be on ebay. I dont see them climbing higher than PSvR 1 by much with the current design.

Quest sells for a reason PSVR can't provide

There should be around 38 million PS5’s by then also if sony hits their 18m projects for this fiscal year.

I think the key for this selling that way is for the price to be right (400-500) and have a good on-going stream of quality games releasing.

They need to annoucne a few big VR games for the fall, like Alyx and Astrobot

Kagey K

Banned
I'm just waiting for the announcement that GTA5 is playable on PSVR2. Then later on we get the announcement that GTA6 will also be playable on PSVR2. That'll push a ludicrous amount of headsets all on its own. No doubt we'll get things like MLB, GT7 and Spider-Man VR modes/entries as well. Can't wait to see what the full launch lineup is, considering we've only seen "sneak peaks" so far.
Pipe dreams.

Nobody is investing in VR on any scale close to that.

Ezekiel_

Banned
car sliding GIF

vivftp

It's going to sell day 1 to the converted. It's after that they could have problems.

That 2 mil will sell day 1 and half will be on ebay. I dont see them climbing higher than PSvR 1 by much with the current design.

PSVR was a gen 1 headset on a relatively underpowered platform, had an incredibly convoluted setup and had an iffy library... and that was the best selling VR headset around until Quest 2 showed up (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

In comparison, PSVR2 is a fully modern headset, has an incredibly simple setup and is already looking to have a strong library right out the gate. Especially if the rumor of Sony pushing hybrid experiences is accurate.

This thing will utterly crush PSVR numbers.

Kagey K

Banned
PSVR was a gen 1 headset on a relatively underpowered platform, had an incredibly convoluted setup and had an iffy library... and that was the best selling VR headset around until Quest 2 showed up (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

In comparison, PSVR2 is a fully modern headset, has an incredibly simple setup and is already looking to have a strong library right out the gate. Especially if the rumor of Sony pushing hybrid experiences is accurate.

This thing will utterly crush PSVR numbers.
Doubt.

We will have to revisit this in a few years.

Players that felt burnt from PSVR won't buy again, new players will, but nothing they have shown convinces anyone except the converted so far.

Need software to back up the tech, and none of it is to be seen.

I'll admit I was wrong if I am, but the selling point isn't there yet.

Last edited:

vivftp

Pipe dreams.

Nobody is investing in VR on any scale close to that.

Ahh, so did we imagine Rockstar implementing VR in older GTA games and saying they're gonna continue implementing it on more games?

And you think it's a pipe dream that we'll get GT7 playable in VR, when GT Sport already had a VR mode? Or that Sony could implement a VR play/spectate mode into MLB which is being put on all platforms under the sun? Or that they could have a dedicated Spider-Man VR experience (or mode in Spider-Man 2), when Insomniac has plenty of VR experience and Sony have already made a Spider-Man PSVR experience for a movie tie-in? Link

lol, sure thing bud. It's all a pipe dream ;)

vivftp

Doubt.

We will have to revisit this in a few years.

Players that felt burnt from PSVR won't buy again, new players will, but nothing they have shown convinces anyone except the converted so far.

Need software to back up the tech, and none of it is to be seen.

I'll admit I was wrong if I am, but the selling point isn't there yet.

Ok, we'll meet at the base of the Eiffel Tower on December 31, 2026 at 11:59PM. There we will tally up how well it's performed and depending on how well or poorly it's done, the person who was wrong will need to climb to the top and jump.

:pie_grinning:

Kagey K

Banned
Ahh, so did we imagine Rockstar implementing VR in older GTA games and saying they're gonna continue implementing it on more games?

And you think it's a pipe dream that we'll get GT7 playable in VR, when GT Sport already had a VR mode? Or that Sony could implement a VR play/spectate mode into MLB which is being put on all platforms under the sun? Or that they could have a dedicated Spider-Man VR experience (or mode in Spider-Man 2), when Insomniac has plenty of VR experience and Sony have already made a Spider-Man PSVR experience for a movie tie-in? Link

lol, sure thing bud. It's all a pipe dream ;)
I'm not seeing those games.

Show me somebody at home playing those modes, (offically) not mods.

It's a pure dream until they are actually things.

Kagey K

Banned
Ok, we'll meet at the base of the Eiffel Tower on December 31, 2026 at 11:59PM. There we will tally up how well it's performed and depending on how well or poorly it's done, the person who was wrong will need to climb to the top and jump.

:pie_grinning:
It's not going to be that hard, but thanks for playing. (BUNGEE jumping from there would be a thrill though, I just worry I would die from a heart attack, because I would be so old before VR is a success)

vivftp

I'm not seeing those games.

Show me somebody at home playing those modes, (offically) not mods.

It's a pure dream until they are actually things.

It's speculation friend, based on educated guesses. Of course it's not official yet.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think PSVR2 is going to be pretty exciting for people. I think PSVR1 sold so poorly that most people buying part 2 will probably be experiencing VR for the first time. I think Quest 2 has moved into the mainstream enough that more people are curious about VR, and are sorta itching to try it finally. They probably feel they've waited a very long time and now is there chance. I expect pretty solid sales going well past PSVR1.

Of course all this depends on the price of the system.

We don't know the line-up of games but I still think people should expect way smaller output than they are hyping themselves up for. Shu just said publicly that indies are going to be "taking the risks" with VR, which is not exactly how you hype up large scale investment in a new system. He's just telling you the truth. VR is mostly small games and indies, selling for $20-40. I don't think you're going to be getting an avalanche of first party stuff. The first party list for PSVR1 isn't that long. But you'll get all the Quest 2 games, PSVR1 ports and whatever else they have in mind for PSVR2. I wouldn't expect tons of games like Horizon, and we don't know what Horizon even costs or how long it is. And Capcom did RE7 on the first system and nothing else. Probably best to just expect a modest library. That will be more than enough to be fun for first time VR players.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Doubtful because of locomotion.

When fighting in Horizon VR the player is on rails. Can only move in a set circle path by side stepping.

An open world game, especially ones as fast as GTA5 or Spidey, would make most people sick.

They’d have to redesign and limit how the player moves.

GT7 sure. That will have something VR like GTS did.

I think PSVR2 is going to be pretty exciting for people. I think PSVR1 sold so poorly that most people buying part 2 will probably be experiencing VR for the first time. I think Quest 2 has moved into the mainstream enough that more people are curious about VR, and are sorta itching to try it finally. They probably feel they've waited a very long time and now is there chance. I expect pretty solid sales going well past PSVR1.

We don't know the line-up of games but I still think people should expect way smaller output than they are hyping themselves up for. Shu just said publicly that indies are going to be "taking the risks" with VR, which is not exactly how you hype up large scale investment in a new system. He's just telling you the truth. VR is mostly small games and indies, selling for $20-40. I don't think you're going to be getting an avalanche of first party stuff. The first party list for PSVR1 isn't that long. But you'll get all the Quest 2 games, PSVR1 ports and whatever else they have in mind for PSVR2. I wouldn't expect tons of games like Horizon, and we don't know what Horizon even costs or how long it is. And Capcom did RE7 on the first system and nothing else. Probably best to just expect a modest library. That will be more than enough to be fun for first time VR players.
PSVR1 is the 2nd best selling VR headset of all time. “Poorly” lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
That's a false equivalence.

Also, the SSD does change everything.
Ok I'm convinced. I didn't see these same predictions when PSVR came out and they were calling Oculus and Vive last gen headsets.

You win.

Last edited:

vivftp

Ok I'm convinced. I didn't see these same predictions when PSVR came out and they were calling Oculus and Vive last gen headsets.

You win.

When vivftp wins, we all win 😃

Doubtful because of locomotion.

When fighting in Horizon VR the player is on rails. Can only move in a set circle path by side stepping.

An open world game, especially ones as fast as GTA5 or Spidey, would make most people sick.

They’d have to redesign and limit how the player moves.

GT7 sure. That will have something VR like GTS did.

PSVR1 is the 2nd best selling VR headset of all time. “Poorly” lol

Locomotion for a Spider-Man VR game couldn't be 1:1 to the normal TV version. Of course it'd have to be redone for VR, but I don't see that being a problem. Heck, with Spider-Man 2 they would already have most of the assets already made to build around. I know folks have already modded GTA5 to work on PC VR headsets and it seems to be ok enough. I'm sure Rockstar could work out something that works well enough. Maybe not for GTA Online, but for the single player game at least.

Kagey K

Banned

Growing up in the 80s I believed in the promise of 3D and VR and now that I'm living through the 5th or 6th wave of it, I can admit the tech is getting better, but it's still not anywhere close to where it needs to be for mass adoption.

It keeps inching away, but we haven't seen that gigantic leap we need to get the crew on board, and this seems more iterative instead of revolutionary. So I expect similar results.

vivftp

I have no doubt they will ship 2 million PSVR2 units. Sell on the other hand...

The PSVR sits at around 5-6 million lifetime units sold and that headset was a gen 1 unpolished turd compared to what PSVR2 will be.

The PS5 should sit around 38 million units by the time the PSVR2 launches, and word has it that they might aim to ship upwards of 30.5 million more PS5's next fiscal year. The userbase will certainly be there. I'm personally guessing that pre-orders will completely sell out within hours of going live

Punished Miku

Gold Member
PSVR2 selling as well as the Wii U would be monumental
Monumental for VR. But it's still a relatively small number. The context of my sentence was that a lot of people have still not tried VR. Wii U has all it's games ported to Switch because so few people played them. In the broader context of "gaming consumers" it's still a pretty small number.

But yeah, if PSVR2 sells 14 million that would be a huge increase for them for sure, and be a great result. It still wouldn't be a huge enough numbers for a large AAA library though, especially if the games aren't $70. People should just expect a more realistic library is all I'm saying. But I expect PSVR2 will be in high demand and will sell well. Waiting on the price though.

Kagey K

Banned
The PSVR sits at around 5-6 million lifetime units sold and that headset was a gen 1 unpolished turd compared to what PSVR2 will be.

The PS5 should sit around 38 million units by the time the PSVR2 launches, and word has it that they might aim to ship upwards of 30.5 million more PS5's next fiscal year. The userbase will certainly be there. I'm personally guessing that pre-orders will completely sell out within hours of going live
Let's just say this gen ends the same (it wont) but let's says PS5 sells the same.

Out of 100m consoles how many do you expect to have VR attached?

Monumental for VR. But it's still a relatively small number. The context of my sentence was that a lot of people have still not tried VR. Wii U has all it's games ported to Switch because so few people played them. In the broader context of "gaming consumers" it's still a pretty small number.

But yeah, if PSVR2 sells 14 million that would be a huge increase for them for sure, and be a great result. It still wouldn't be a huge enough numbers for a large AAA library though, especially if the games aren't $70. People should just expect a more realistic library is all I'm saying. But I expect PSVR2 will be in high demand and will sell well. Waiting on the price though.

A AAA VR game also isn’t as labor intensive as a typical first party AAA game. Half Life Alyx for example is like 10 hours long, as most vr games are. Making a 40 hour long open world game is probably not gonna be a thing for awhile.

vivftp

Let's just say this gen ends the same (it wont) but let's says PS5 sells the same.

Out of 100m consoles how many do you expect to have VR attached?
Sony intended for the PS5 to surpass the PS4. It started that way as the PS5 hit 10 million units faster than the PS4, but things got tripped up due to supply constraints and Sony has said they plan to once again surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY. So in the end I do expect the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales figures.

As for attach rate, I can't guess a percentage but my random ass-pulled guess is PSVR sitting at around 15-20 million units when all is said and done.

Between first party studios, third party studios making exclusives and hybrid TV/VR games, I think the library of PSVR2 compatible games will be absolutely incredible. Again, this is my guess.

No doubt they'll also mesh their VR and subscription service endeavors together and will be offering PSVR2 games on PS+ Extra/Premium to give folks a base library and constant flow of games to play. Sony being an entertainment company will also continue to push VR in other mediums with things like concerts, VR sporting events, and all that jazz.

Kagey K

Banned
Sony intended for the PS5 to surpass the PS4. It started that way as the PS5 hit 10 million units faster than the PS4, but things got tripped up due to supply constraints and Sony has said they plan to once again surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY. So in the end I do expect the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales figures.

As for attach rate, I can't guess a percentage but my random ass-pulled guess is PSVR sitting at around 15-20 million units when all is said and done.

Between first party studios, third party studios making exclusives and hybrid TV/VR games, I think the library of PSVR2 compatible games will be absolutely incredible. Again, this is my guess.

No doubt they'll also mesh their VR and subscription service endeavors together and will be offering PSVR2 games on PS+ Extra/Premium to give folks a base library and constant flow of games to play. Sony being an entertainment company will also continue to push VR in other mediums with things like concerts, VR sporting events, and all that jazz.
It doesnt matter what they intended thier competition is stronger so they were never going to outsell PS4 even if it had all gone without a hitch.

Hopefully you don't get banned before this generation is done and we can talk about your 15-20 million VR sets in a few years

vivftp

It doesnt matter what they intended thier competition is stronger so they were never going to outsell PS4 even if it had all gone without a hitch.

Hopefully you don't get banned before this generation is done and we can talk about your 15-20 million VR sets in a few years

Again, Sony has stated plainly that they plan for the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY, which means they would have to ship over 23 million PS5's to meet that goal. Then we got the leak about a revision from Tom Henderson that mentioned their plan is to actually hit 30.5 million PS5's next FY.

Surpassing the PS4 sales figures is pretty much a given at this point. It's always been their plan and now that supply constraints are lightening up they're getting back on track to achieving that plan. It's nice for the competition that they're doing better, but that won't put a dent in Sony's plans.

Also, as I said it's an ass-pulled figure. There's no way any person on this forum could give an educated guess at how many units they'll sell lifetime. I could say 10 or 10 billion, it doesn't really matter as it's just a guess.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Again, Sony has stated plainly that they plan for the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY, which means they would have to ship over 23 million PS5's to meet that goal. Then we got the leak about a revision from Tom Henderson that mentioned their plan is to actually hit 30.5 million PS5's next FY.

Surpassing the PS4 sales figures is pretty much a given at this point. It's always been their plan and now that supply constraints are lightening up they're getting back on track to achieving that plan. It's nice for the competition that they're doing better, but that won't put a dent in Sony's plans.
I'm not going to pretend I know the future, and they would never say otherwise. But it's not happening.

I could say I'm going to make a hundred million next year, and I'd I don't I missed the mark and I'll make it up next year.

They aren't beating PS4 this gen. Unless they keep it alive for several years past due

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

If the price is right it should sell more.

- It's much more accessible than PSVR with just one cable plugged to the front of the PS5. No cam setup needed. No breakout box.

- Add to that the 4k OLED screen compared to the very low res screen door effect PSVR had.

- Also the better controllers compared to the Move.

They just need the games for it, which shouldn't be a problem as even the PSVR had a lot of them.

It's just a much better product overall.

Top Bottom