• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Some areas are really dark, you'll need a torch to navigate.

Call me crazy, but I'm excited for this. All I ask is that they don't execute it in a clumsy fashion like Dark Souls II; give players the ability to drop their torch down only to pick it up later if the need for combat arises, for starters.

Drencrom

Here are my more detailed impressions of Bloodborne:

http://selectstartgames.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/stefanos-e3-2014-report-part-3-bloodborne/

It really was impressive. I don't know what I was thinking, but I wasn't expecting it to look as amazing as it did. The only concerning thing is the framerate, which fluctuated a lot during the presentation. Thankfully, the commentator said that that's one of the things that will be ironed out by release.

Even though it's a no-brainer that it will be fixed until release it's nice to hear they are aware and will prioritize this down the road. Also, great impressions, Figs!

Call me crazy, but I'm excited for this. All I ask is that they don't execute it in a clumsy fashion like Dark Souls II; give players the ability to drop their torch down only to pick it up later if the need for combat arises, for starters.

That's not a bad idea really. Would be cool if you could drop it down a well/staircase to light it up to see what's down below.

Is that shit real then!?

Wow, I thought that was a Photoshop.

February The Witcher, March Bloodborne. Yes!

yea it's real, saw it and screen shot and posted it on my twitter asap then linked here after my post just in case they take it down.

it had release date for The Order as well
Bp6sFh6CcAImTTE.jpg

Same, it was one of my most anticipated features of DSII. Barring another lighting snafu this could be awesome.

Kane1345

I'm still thinking about all the possible finishing animations you can do when you counter/parry. I mean if you can punch through an enemy then there must be some real gem's coming :D

Jaeger

Tried to compile some of the info we have. I may have missed some tidbits, but here we go.

- Early 2015 release
- Action RPG
- PS4 Exclusive. (Sony IP)
- No easier difficulty. Targeting the same level of difficulty as Demon's Souls.
- Game length will be around the same as Souls games.
- Visually one of the most impressive current gen games.
- Targeting 1080p 30fps. Game is still early so currently has framerate issues, devs have acknowledged this and said will be ironed out.
- Bloodborne was started by the team who developed Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls after they finished work on the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
- Bloodborne does not star a static protagonist, can customize character and stats like previous souls games.
- From Software says it's going to be more in line with the death penalties and progression system found in Demon's Souls, which from what we gather means that we'll be collecting souls (Blood?) and returning to a safe zone once again.
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- City is called Yharnam, it's massive, looks like London back in the 19th century
- game will take place during various times of day and weather.
- "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne." ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWmABpzT0U )
- City is very densely layered. 'More complex than Thief'
- When asked, From Software says it's not pursuing the same open structure of Dark Souls II
- The zones of the game are connected between them, as in Dark Souls 1 (conflicts with the above point?)
- Q: Will zones only be filled with enemies? A: You will feel alone.
- But the game has NPC's, can choose to save or ignore some that are in trouble.
- Ragdolls are in
- Cloth physics
- Fog gates are in
- Bosses will not always be behind soul-gates this time. Instead, sometimes they'll just ambush you and the soul-walls will just appear afterwards
- Monsters bleed where you slice them.
- There will be no map display in the game
- No shields, focus on faster action.
- Rolling, backstepping, locking on, parry and kicking are all in.
- There are less weapons overall, but he thinks the depth of each of those actually available make up for that difference.
- Still tons of weapons and armor to collect
- Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.
- Bladed weapon in right hand is referred to as a 'Sawcleaver'
- Firearms are more useful defensively, to stun enemies, giving you time to back up or create counter-attack opportunities.
- If you hit an enemy's torch they get set on fire.
- You cannot play this the same way as Demon's Souls'. Have to be more aggressive.
- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element.
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle.
- Enemies are not static spawns, but walk around and can come from anywhere (behind crates etc).
- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast".
- Blood a key focus and is also used to regain your HP and gain various other benefits.
- They said the Virus(bloodborned) has progressions.
- You get blood sucking it from corpses or items.
- Sucking too much blood will turn you into a beast which I suppose is this game’s Soul/Hollow form. The game will apparently become a lot harder to play/control when in beast mode. To become a human again you need human blood and is where the online component comes into play. [translated from Famitsu, not sure if entirely accurate]
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together. As to how exactly the process of fighting alongside other players will work, Miyazaki's coy. "The key concept, or phrase, that we have right now is it's an open explorative community," is all he'll give away.

Screenshots:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=115802051

E3 Trailer:
http://youtu.be/G203e1HhixY
Direct Feed Download: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_bloodborne_direct_feed_trailer-15445_en.html

Offscreen gameplay:
http://youtu.be/0GCx2wW61aQ
Webm: http://a.pomf.se/vgzutd.webm

Pre-E3 Leaked gameplay (old footage)
http://a.pomf.se/pfqpvs.webm

Awesome Post. I'm all caught up, now.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Yeah I'm not down with the "no shields". That takes away almost all battle strategy and makes it into an action/arcade like game. Bad choice.

That alone has killed my enthusiasm for this game.

jaaz

- "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne."

How did I miss this quote??? This is exactly what I wanted. Hype level at maximum (and it's only June)

Yeah I'm not down with the "no shields". That takes away almost all battle strategy and makes it into an action/arcade like game. Bad choice.

What? Have you ever played a Souls game without using a shield?

If anything combat gets even more strategy-based because you can't block.

Kane1345

I use shields almost exclusively in the other games and I'm kind of glad they're gone. They are trying to make a game with a more aggressive kind of play style in mind and I'm all for giving it a shot especially in this beautifully crafted universe they have made. I'm up for the challenge :)

Brohan

This post makes little sense, if anything your actions must be even more deliberate thus making it more strategic not less.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i agree, i've seen 40 seconds of gameplay and i've decided there is no strategy left in the game

0/10 brb sellin my ps4

Stillmatic

Doesn't it make combat more strategic? You can't just block while strafing until there's an opening. You have to be proactive, using your gun to open up an attack, or buy you a second by stunning them. You also still have rolling, backstepping, parrying at your disposal and kicking has returned.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Thanks for the impressions, Figboy79.

A few questions from me, if you wouldn't mind fielding them! Did you observe a roll/dodge/evade manoeuvre of any kind? And did you observe any target lock-on mechanics of any kind?

Cheers!

The dodge roll mechanic was pretty much ripped straight from the Souls games. There was that dash back evade, and then a straight up roll. The demoer used it a lot as she moved through the demo.

No on the second. There was no HUD visible, but even so, it was hard to tell if she was locking on to enemies, because she never battled more than one enemy at a time, so she was able to just hack away at them or shoot them with no need to lock on.

Sounds like someone never played either DS with no shield.

Hint: the game doesn't suddenly become DMC.

You actually have to learn to time your actions better, be they parries or dodge-rolls, and learn enemy attacks to stay alive. My no shield playthroughs generally took more effort to stay alive, but the fighting also felt more visceral/high stakes.

BibiMaghoo

I think the no map thing should be great. I often wonder how much I am not looking at by using an in game map or mini map. It destroys the need to actually learn an area completely and know where things are. Take it away and I think it's much easier to learn. Sounds odd for sure, but I'm convinced of it.

I think the no map thing should be great. I often wonder how much I am not looking at by using an in game map or mini map. It destroys the need to actually learn an area completely and know where things are. Take it away and I think it's much easier to learn. Sounds odd for sure, but I'm convinced of it.

No map worked fantastically in all three of the Souls games. Should be perfectly fine here. I would've been disappointed if there had been a map.

BadWolf

Shields dumb down the gameplay quite a bit (I know since I use them all the time).

A battle system that takes them out and takes their exclusion into account while giving you more options should be interesting.

zma1013

And throw it as well. Would have been cool to be able to toss a torch when you first enter The Gutter and watch the light cascade down as it falls, revealing the structures below.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I think you're completely right. If the player has to fully engage and process the environment they'll learn much faster than if they can just refer to a map over and over again. A nice side effect is that the designers have to make identifiable landmarks and maintain a high level of detail in the environment rather than using cut and paste hallways (which are hard to learn and navigate without a map).

Bruticuz

Banned
Doesn't it make combat more strategic? You can't just block while strafing until there's an opening. You have to be proactive, using your gun to open up an attack, or buy you a second by stunning them. You also still have rolling, backstepping, parrying at your disposal and kicking has returned.

I was thinking they said no shields, they didnt say no blocking.
Maybe you can block with your weapons a bit ?

Hoo-doo

Banned

I feel your pain brother. Now we can't cheese our way to victory anymore. We actually have to GIT GUD.

But "takes away all battle strategy and makes into an action/arcade like game" is bullshit of the highest order. You're better than knee-jerk reactionary statements like this.

If anything, it likely opens up combat for a host of different offensive strategies and weapon combinations. And I somehow doubt the shield is gone completely.

E92 M3

Tried to compile some of the info we have. I may have missed some tidbits, but here we go.

- Early 2015 release
- Action RPG
- PS4 Exclusive. (Sony IP)
- No easier difficulty. Targeting the same level of difficulty as Demon's Souls.
- Game length will be around the same as Souls games.
- Visually one of the most impressive current gen games.
- Targeting 1080p 30fps. Game is still early so currently has framerate issues, devs have acknowledged this and said will be ironed out.
- Bloodborne was started by the team who developed Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls after they finished work on the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
- Bloodborne does not star a static protagonist, can customize character and stats like previous souls games.
- From Software says it's going to be more in line with the death penalties and progression system found in Demon's Souls, which from what we gather means that we'll be collecting souls (Blood?) and returning to a safe zone once again.
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- City is called Yharnam, it's massive, looks like London back in the 19th century
- game will take place during various times of day and weather.
- "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne." ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWmABpzT0U )
- City is very densely layered. 'More complex than Thief'
- When asked, From Software says it's not pursuing the same open structure of Dark Souls II
- The zones of the game are connected between them, as in Dark Souls 1 (conflicts with the above point?)
- Q: Will zones only be filled with enemies? A: You will feel alone.
- But the game has NPC's, can choose to save or ignore some that are in trouble.
- Ragdolls are in
- Cloth physics
- Fog gates are in
- Bosses will not always be behind soul-gates this time. Instead, sometimes they'll just ambush you and the soul-walls will just appear afterwards
- Monsters bleed where you slice them.
- There will be no map display in the game
- No shields, focus on faster action.
- Rolling, backstepping, locking on, parry and kicking are all in.
- There are less weapons overall, but he thinks the depth of each of those actually available make up for that difference.
- Still tons of weapons and armor to collect
- Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.
- Bladed weapon in right hand is referred to as a 'Sawcleaver'
- Firearms are more useful defensively, to stun enemies, giving you time to back up or create counter-attack opportunities.
- If you hit an enemy's torch they get set on fire.
- You cannot play this the same way as Demon's Souls'. Have to be more aggressive.
- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element.
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle.
- Enemies are not static spawns, but walk around and can come from anywhere (behind crates etc).
- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast".
- Blood a key focus and is also used to regain your HP and gain various other benefits.
- They said the Virus(bloodborned) has progressions.
- You get blood sucking it from corpses or items.
- Sucking too much blood will turn you into a beast which I suppose is this game’s Soul/Hollow form. The game will apparently become a lot harder to play/control when in beast mode. To become a human again you need human blood and is where the online component comes into play. [translated from Famitsu, not sure if entirely accurate]
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together. As to how exactly the process of fighting alongside other players will work, Miyazaki's coy. "The key concept, or phrase, that we have right now is it's an open explorative community," is all he'll give away.

Screenshots:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=115802051

E3 Trailer:
http://youtu.be/G203e1HhixY
Direct Feed Download: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_bloodborne_direct_feed_trailer-15445_en.html

Offscreen gameplay:
http://youtu.be/0GCx2wW61aQ
Webm: http://a.pomf.se/vgzutd.webm

Pre-E3 Leaked gameplay (old footage)
http://a.pomf.se/pfqpvs.webm

Amazing post; thanks!

FaintDeftone

I believe the guns are basically your shield by the sound of it.

If an enemy attacks, you can counter-attack and stun them with the blunderbuss, giving you an opening for attack. Think of this as using your shield to parry.

That is the impression I got at least.

Dusky

No doubt this has been discussed already, but from what I gather there's an internal conflict within the city, right?

This talk of burning "Beasts" on pyres and such. Do we know why the inflicted are slaying these monsters?

Kane1345

New Playstation blog article http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/12/11-things-need-know-bloodborne-ps4/

Nothing really unknown but a few of the points:

3. Something beastly this way comes

As you journey along the dingy alleyways, strange cloaked figures and deformed figures will lurch out of the darkness to attack you at almost every turn. On top of that, “there are moments, like the ominous banging of these gates in the city, where we’re telling you that some huge beast if coming.”

4. There’s something deeply wrong in Yharnham

On top of the bleak colour palette and shadows of the city, something else is amiss, “the city has been stricken by a plague, and those afflicted transform into hideous beasts” – what’s more, “the citizens around are unaware that they too are afflicted.”

9. Shifting enemies

During the level we were shown, the citizens of Yharnham were hunting the beasts that are plaguing the city. During one section, they crowded around a makeshift pyre to set alight a slain monster, allowing us to creep around the outskirts unnoticed. However this didn’t last long – soon a bell sounded from deep within the city and the rabble recommenced their hunt. Miyazaki said, “The game is going to challenge you as the environment changes and enemies move around the level in unexpected ways.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom