• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBtoaster

wdnyky.png

That's certainly something.

B.O.O.M

I'm guessing this might have been something they were planning on showing last year given the code name being on the video.

Yeah he was hinting at it last year. Guess sony chose to ride out the momentum at the time and keep this game for E3.

Well i think it had more to do with stealing Dark Souls II momentum. I mean would you buy DSII on PS3 when you saw this and its coming out for PS4?

Bruticuz

Banned
As i said in other thread rejoice 1:07, he was BLOCKING !
I was oke with no shields i already accepted it, but no blocking just seemed weird.

Alright, I have to say a few things about this whole no-shield hand-wringing that's been fairly common on the internets since that tidbit was revealed, because it really puzzles me.

First and foremost, when people hear that there are no shields and that the game will be more proactive as a result, their thought process shouldn't immediately leap to "character action game!" There's a very easy and obvious way to gauge what sort of game that will make it - playing the Souls games without a shield.

Anyone who has actually played the Souls games sans shield will tell you that it hardly makes the combat less tactical and deliberate. On the contrary, it's more dangerous, so you have to be even more measured with everything you do. The primary difference between going shield and no-shield is that the latter puts a greater emphasis on good mobility - not only timing your roll-dodges well, but also having strong positioning.

There are also a few other things we know about Bloodborne that should dispel any concerns.

We know stamina is still in, so you're not just going to be flailing your weapon around and constantly dodging with impunity. The Souls games are marked by an ability to both deal great damage and take great damage - you kill regular mobs quickly but you also can't take many hits from them until you notably out-gear/out-level them, and even then they can still punish you if you're lackadaisical.

We can clearly see in the clips that enemies are falling in just a couple hits, like any Souls game, so it's obvious even at this early stage that you're not going to be busting out extreme combo multipliers all over the place and melting faces. We see that the initial hit can stagger them, and impressions say that the primary purpose of the gun is to stun enemies at relatively short ranges so they're left open. Ammo will apparently also be very scarce so you'll have to be deliberate (there's that word again) with your usage of firearms. God mode was on in the demo, but from Miyazaki's comments that the player will be overwhelmed by enemy pressure if they aren't proactive, it's probably pretty safe to say that you're still going to be stun-locked and battered to death fairly easily if you aren't careful.

I've put an untold number of hours into all three Souls games, and if I knew nothing about Bloodborne and had randomly seen that gameplay clip, it would have immediately screamed "Souls" to me. Not only because of the general brooding vibe it gives off, but also because everything about the rhythm and style of combat is incredibly familiar.

Perfect.

One other thing I'd like to point out about the no shields thing is how many times certain knights or fighters who carried no shields are mentioned in the lore of the original Souls games. Quite a lot. At least as much as certain factions who eschewed magic are mentioned, by my estimation.

Clearly, these mentions of shieldless warriors are no accident. I took it as a hint. I believe Mayazaki wanted people to branch out of their combat safe zones by inserting such ideas in the lore.

When I started playing with no board in the games, it opened up a whole new facet of strategy in the combat, whether I was doing, crossbow/sword, magic/sword, or my evetual favorite, the parry dagger/sword combo hotswapping the crossbow when out of parry range. The games present very interesting wrinkles of strategy when you go shieldless, and I think players will find this to be the case here as well.

Toxi

Banned
I don't see it

Fxxk.

I am very regrating that I went to play the GTAV at that time.

Fxxk.
The thread has mirrors everywhere.

Warning: Contains tons of info about the game's enemies and locations. Watch at your own risk
forget I said that, watch it and be blown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom