• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

While I'm assuming that spellcasting is out, it'd be nice to see varied ammo / gun types for different playstyles (e.g. fire ammo for mobs, etc.)

Bundy

Banned
Alright, I have to say a few things about this whole no-shield hand-wringing that's been fairly common on the internets since that tidbit was revealed, because it really puzzles me.

First and foremost, when people hear that there are no shields and that the game will be more proactive as a result, their thought process shouldn't immediately leap to "character action game!" There's a very easy and obvious way to gauge what sort of game that will make it - playing the Souls games without a shield.

Anyone who has actually played the Souls games sans shield will tell you that it hardly makes the combat less tactical and deliberate. On the contrary, it's more dangerous, so you have to be even more measured with everything you do. The primary difference between going shield and no-shield is that the latter puts a greater emphasis on good mobility - not only timing your roll-dodges well, but also having strong positioning.

There are also a few other things we know about Bloodborne that should dispel any concerns.

We know stamina is still in, so you're not just going to be flailing your weapon around and constantly dodging with impunity. The Souls games are marked by an ability to both deal great damage and take great damage - you kill regular mobs quickly but you also can't take many hits from them until you notably out-gear/out-level them, and even then they can still punish you if you're lackadaisical.

We can clearly see in the clips that enemies are falling in just a couple hits, like any Souls game, so it's obvious even at this early stage that you're not going to be busting out extreme combo multipliers all over the place and melting faces. We see that the initial hit can stagger them, and impressions say that the primary purpose of the gun is to stun enemies at relatively short ranges so they're left open. Ammo will apparently also be very scarce so you'll have to be deliberate (there's that word again) with your usage of firearms. God mode was on in the demo, but from Miyazaki's comments that the player will be overwhelmed by enemy pressure if they aren't proactive, it's probably pretty safe to say that you're still going to be stun-locked and battered to death fairly easily if you aren't careful.

I've put an untold number of hours into all three Souls games, and if I knew nothing about Bloodborne and had randomly seen that gameplay clip, it would have immediately screamed "Souls" to me. Not only because of the general brooding vibe it gives off, but also because everything about the rhythm and style of combat is incredibly familiar.
Great post! And I agree. I can't understand the non-shield talk.
You can play Dark Souls without a shield.
Does it make it less tactical? No! It's quite the opposite.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GG Zeliard

GG!

Kientin

I've dabbled with no shields in Demon Souls and Dark Souls. It wasn't until Dark Souls II however that I went all out in no shield mode. I can't play any other way now; it's a lot more fun and super satisfying.

Qvoth

ok so the bloodborne site just updated, there are plenty of images now, some of them have description accompanying the pictures

the main character is a hunter, and that with the hunters' unique weapons the transformable sawcleaver and the gun and light armor the game wants to show a new strategy in fights

hopefully this doesn't mean the only available equipments are sawcleavers, guns, and light armors

someone with better japanese should check it out

The whole game is based on a place with the greatest atmosphere in Souls Games?
httpMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/466/680/b0e.gif

MindFlayer.jpg

Those mindflayers are scary as fuck!

Great post! And I agree. I can't understand the non-shield talk.
You can play Dark Souls without a shield.
Does it make it less tactical? No! It's quite the opposite.

I played most of the souls games without a shield but the question should be raised as to whether shield wielding was ever an issue in the first place. I would argue that it wasn't and there are other things in the game that need work.

Drencrom

Alright, I have to say a few things about this whole no-shield hand-wringing that's been fairly common on the internets since that tidbit was revealed, because it really puzzles me.

First and foremost, when people hear that there are no shields and that the game will be more proactive as a result, their thought process shouldn't immediately leap to "character action game!" There's a very easy and obvious way to gauge what sort of game that will make it - playing the Souls games without a shield.

[...]

Great post, exactly what I think regarding the 'no shield' subject.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WAIT

WAIT A MINUTE!

I was sitting down, staring at my Souls collection like I usually do on a Thursday and I thought of something VERY important

HOLY SHIT I CAN BARELY CONTAIN THE HYPE I FEEL THAT I NEED TO POST THIS IN CAPS BUT I REALLY SHOULDN'T SO IMMA TRY TO HAVE CAPS LOCK OFF FOR THIS ENTIRE THING FROM NOW ON. Ok... so IMAGINE:

going down these black, dirty fucking sewers and just hearing the sound of all kinds of shit downstairs. climbing down the ladder, seems like infinity but the truth is it's only a couple of seconds but the fucking AMBIANCE man THE AMBIANCE makes it feel as if the times is passing sloooooooowly. I land on the ground and I feel like kissing the ground but then realize the fear is real. THE FEAR IS REAL. ENEMIES EVERYWHERE. THESE DISGUSTING creeps from nowhere, surrounding my ass! so i bam bam bam r1 backstep shotgun ***STUN!*** DASH forward r1r1r1r1r1r BACKDASH and holy shit they keep coming so I run back to the ladder to cheese them on high ground but what the fuck they are ABOVE ME as well! I drop down land on these scum pick my hsotgun sand pick my line and go fuckgnds grazy as i land my shotgun balasts all over their face stunning them into hell rol´ling around them showing dman whos BOISS!!!!!!

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Con_Smith

Banned
wish we had seen more of the mobility that was showcased in the webms. Seeing that one image of the guy back stepping and blasting a fool has me excited of the options we'll have now that sheilds may be no more. Even if I played pretty conservatively in the prior games I'm not one to bitch about them changing the formula if we get to look stylish as hell taking beasts out.

Alright, I have to say a few things about this whole no-shield hand-wringing that's been fairly common on the internets since that tidbit was revealed, because it really puzzles me... [truncated]

Thank you for putting into words what I am ultimately too lazy to write but feel so very strongly.

I played most of the souls games without a shield but the question should be raised as to whether shield wielding was ever an issue in the first place. I would argue that it wasn't and there are other things in the game that need work.

I don't think that's a question worth being raised because Miyazaki isn't removing shields because they were "an issue". Their removal is a deliberate design choice. Raising that question is pretty much like the people talking about the previous Souls games and saying "Well, I don't think it would've been an issue to include an easy difficulty because people who don't want it can just not choose it."

They're right, an easy difficulty wouldn't have been "an issue". It was a purposeful decision by From Software to not include it.

Shields were fine against normal enemies but I always found them useless against the bosses. They just break through that shit and worst case leave you stunned. Maybe it saves you a bit of hp but that's it.

Kane1345

WAIT

WAIT A MINUTE!

I was sitting down, staring at my Souls collection like I usually do on a Thursday and I thought of something VERY important

HOLY SHIT I CAN BARELY CONTAIN THE HYPE I FEEL THAT I NEED TO POST THIS IN CAPS BUT I REALLY SHOULDN'T SO IMMA TRY TO HAVE CAPS LOCK OFF FOR THIS ENTIRE THING FROM NOW ON. Ok... so IMAGINE:

going down these black, dirty fucking sewers and just hearing the sound of all kinds of shit downstairs. climbing down the ladder, seems like infinity but the truth is it's only a couple of seconds but the fucking AMBIANCE man THE AMBIANCE makes it feel as if the times is passing sloooooooowly. I land on the ground and I feel like kissing the ground but then realize the fear is real. THE FEAR IS REAL. ENEMIES EVERYWHERE. THESE DISGUSTING creeps from nowhere, surrounding my ass! so i bam bam bam r1 backstep shotgun ***STUN!*** DASH forward r1r1r1r1r1r BACKDASH and holy shit they keep coming so I run back to the ladder to cheese them on high ground but what the fuck they are ABOVE ME as well! I drop down land on these scum pick my hsotgun sand pick my line and go fuckgnds grazy as i land my shotgun balasts all over their face stunning them into hell rol´ling around them showing dman whos BOISS!!!!!!

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

You know what? Your enthusiasm is kind of infectious lol. At least it's refreshing to see people so positive and hyped about something rather than the cynicism and nitpicking that so often plagues gaming these days. Soldier on buddy :)

LCBh0.gif

The battle system will just be a bunch of "quick rolls" out of the way now. I liked the slow paced battle system that shields made. Fighting is more calculated that way, plus shields are pretty :)

Action games rid themselves of shields to speed up the gameplay, I don't want that, I want my proper "Souls" battle system..... I don't want to be "quick rolling", and "side stepping" all the time :(

If there is one thing in the "Souls" series that didn't need to be fucked with, it was/is the battle system. It WAS perfect the way it was.

P.S.
Hopefully I am overreacting and shields are still in the game.

Have you never played Souls with no shield?

No shield is one of the best things. No longer can you turtle, you have to be proactive......so many players are going to find it so much more difficult.

todahawk

So it really IS going to be Tower of Latria: The Game. Gonna have to play this with the light on at all times.

and every second of it is gonna be glorious! Tower of Latria was the most memorable and my favorite by far. What's his face rattling the bars on his cell... the tinkling of the mind flayer bells... UGH, so foreboding and good.

I was hyped already but Yoshi's uberhype is spilling all over.

Yoshichan

Taking the car and driving around the world irl

Because WHY THE HELL NOT

THIS ADRENALINE NEEDS TO LEAVE MY BODY

Edit: mother of GOD found this cool fucking harvest moon place. INTENSE!!!!

Edit 2: fuck i need to leave this place before they find me

Edit: SOMEONE JUST SAW ME FUCK FUCK FUL GUCÖ
WND

traveler

Not Wario
Dropping shields is fine. They made the game so much easier you were basically choosing to handicap yourself by playing any other way. The risk to reward just wasn't there for non-shield approaches, at least in my experience.

Having to play without one will certainly bring the base game more in line with the difficulty and depth Souls fans have always touted. Hopefully, they've looked at DS2's nerfing of the parry and backstab systems as well, as those were 2 other elements of Dark Souls/Demon Souls that just trivialized many encounters.

Edit: what is going on the post above me? Yoshi trying to Mega64 bloodborne by aggroing random villagers?

StuBurns

Banned

Because WHY THE HELL NOT

WND
That's quite clearly the town from Nier, stay away.

Because WHY THE HELL NOT

WND

I can't fucking stop laughing at "cool fucking harvest moon place."

That will forever be how I describe farms from now on.

Because WHY THE HELL NOT

WND
Wth

Because WHY THE HELL NOT

WND

This guy is alright.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

Anyone who has actually played the Souls games sans shield will tell you that it hardly makes the combat less tactical and deliberate. On the contrary, it's more dangerous, so you have to be even more measured with everything you do. The primary difference between going shield and no-shield is that the latter puts a greater emphasis on good mobility - not only timing your roll-dodges well, but also having strong positioning.

Yup. THis needs to be said over and over until people stop with this nonsense.

Because WHY THE HELL NOT

WND

I hope you make a thread of your travels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom