• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked (GCU) Ending March 1st 2021

TransTrender

Gold Member
Truly the end of an era.

GCU was the primary reason I shopped for games at Best Buy, and really why I did a lot of purchases at Best Buy because of the Rewards Certificates from all those game purchases.
This was inevitable ever since the pulled the ability to purchase GCU about two years ago, but the big brains out there loaded up on extra years for $30 a pop.
It was an incredible value and I can't quite figure out why the ended it. After they started catching people for buying multiple copies, some of those going to independent retailers for resale, but I'm sure it changed people's spending habits and drove more people to their stores.
It certainly did for me and based on what I see in other forums it certanly did for other people as well.

Just got an email stating that they're canceling the program for members that still had a current membership . It's too bad because I really appreciated the discounts and only used it occasionally over the years. Oh well, I guess that's another sign of the economic times.

"We have an important announcement to share about your Gamers Club Unlocked* membership.

Thank you for being a My Best Buy® member and part of the Gamers Club Unlocked program. We have made the decision to end the current Gamers Club Unlocked program which means we will cancel remaining memberships and discontinue all current benefits as of March 1, 2021.

As a current Gamers Club Unlocked member, we will be refunding you the purchase price of your unexpired membership(s). We will mail you a refund check equal to $30 for each membership. You can expect to receive your check by the end of March 2021. To ensure you receive your check, please log into your account at https://www.bestbuy.com/profile/c/address/shipping and confirm your primary address is up to date. Your Gamers Club Unlocked benefits will remain active through February 28, 2021.

Despite this change, you will remain a member of My Best Buy which earns you rewards on your Best Buy purchases and additional member benefits.

If you need assistance with this, or have questions, please feel free to contact us at
1-888-BEST-BUY (1-888-237-8289) or through our chat channels on BestBuy.com.

Thank you for continuing to be a loyal Best Buy customer!

The Best Buy Team"

F

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
Weird I thought that was canned awhile ago. I've noticed gamer club on my BB account and thought it was legacy. Better yet, purchased games and didn't get the discount. It was a great program.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Weird I thought that was canned awhile ago. I've noticed gamer club on my BB account and thought it was legacy. Better yet, purchased games and didn't get the discount. It was a great program.
They did but lot of people stacked years on their current.

TransTrender

Gold Member
They stopped the ability to purchase more years in 2018.

TexMex

Mine ended last year. I preordered basically everything I was mildly interested in that they had a listing for. Really miss it, every new release rang up 47.99. Especially now that games are 70.

Codes 208

Mine ended back in 2018 (or ‘19?) I was going to renew but I caught the news too late and wasn’t able to extend it.

Last edited:

TheContact

it was an amazing deal for gamers but poorly thought out for best buy. i imagine they were just hemorrhaging money especially since retail profits on video games are already so small

Last edited:
Mine ended spring 2020 and I thought I was one of the last ones - forgot about the sneaky extend-current trick. Sorry guys!

I haven't missed it too much (other than convenience) since I grab most new releases from in-store Walmart at $10 off which is ~17% off. I do still have Metroid Prime 4 preordered but who knows when that will happen. My MP4 was already cancelled once and I had to wait on the phone for like an hour to get it ordered again with the same discount.

Mine ended May '19 . Think I have bought about 4 or maybe 5 orders in that time from BB since it expired. A fine program while it lasted.

Moogle11

Banned
it was an amazing deal for gamers but poorly thought out for best buy. i imagine they were just hemorrhaging money especially since retail profits on video games are already so small
Yep. They probably thought it would up games' ability to be loss leaders that bring people into the store who end up buying high profit items along with their 20% discounted games.

In reality it probably most attracted bargain hunters like myself and others on forum who just ordered the 20% off games online and either had them delivered or did instore pick up and never (or very rarely) browsed in store and bought other things.

It was definitely a great deal. Especially as someone who sells most games after beating them, I often ended up making a profit on games I beat quickly and sold for more than I paid for them.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
A program created for buzz but used by MPS. A great idea when people still shopped on "New Release Tuesday's" but quickly became a margin black hole when BBY started matching amazon (in terms of shipping) and BBY.Com orders started to grow.

Top Bottom