• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 | Review Thread

I can't believe how big turnaround I had with this game. After trying the beta I wasn't interested in this but yesterday I watched Levelcap's video about the Portal game mode = immediately sold the game for me.

Playing remastered Battlefield 3 is just multi orgasm.

Mobilemofo

2 maps per game in portal!! WTF. Hopefully they'll add more. I've got my fingers crossed for BF Vietnam. I played the shit outta of 1942, Vietnam, and BF2. Most of these kids today don't even remember BF Vietnam, or they think it's the Bad Company add-on.
i loved the BC add on. i remember playing fortunate son from a helicopter speaker whilst having rounds flying past my head...

ahh. good times.

After playing Vanguard at 120hz on PS5, starting up BF2042 was pretty jarring.

I was really hyped about this game but after 3-4 hours I’m back to Vanguard and just made peace with that.

It’s not the same DICE anymore folks but a shell of itself
Absolutely. Vanguard plays better and the maps are more fun. I would be sad but I'm an adult so I don't really give a fuck. Paid nothing for Vanguard and only 10€ for BF Gold edition so there's that.

Looks and runs solid on series x , I thought it would be easy 4k 60 on PC aswell but judging from alot of videos it runs like complete ass on PC

dano1

A Sheep
Agreed on the scoreboard stuff. If they truly removed it because people didn’t like others to see their scores then boohoo, get good.

Can’t be worse than BF4 release? Server wise, much better. Gameplay wise? Far worse, other end of the spectrum I’d say. The game is boring and just chock full of bad design choices. Stick to portal and you’ll have loads of fun, just be prepared for the content to be hugely lacking.
Someone mentioned reducing the deadzone on the controller setting makes a big difference on the gunplay. Can’t verify. Playing next Friday.

Sybrix

Thank you for the Share. Ill guess ill wait till early 2022 - mid 2022.

"No one got to access console review codes"

200.gif

sainraja

I haven't played Battlefield games that much and the ones that I did play didn't have a mode that I see in this new one which I really like; the mode that basically has you capture points to gain territory and that determines how much resources you have and ultimately decides if you win or lose. That mode is pretty good.

Urban

This.

The last time critics got it right with a multiplayer game was Overwatch in 2016. Their track record since is nothing but trainwrecks.

You really have to wait a few months for the buzz to wear off to see how the public assesses them.
Its not about the Score. Its about the state that the game is in.

DeaDPo0L84

Anyone else worried that if this game flops, it will be the end of Battlefield?
Honestly if this is the product they're gonna put out it wouldn't bother me one bit. The people who had a hand in why BF is special today are long gone. This is a shell of its former self and BF2042 is a BF game in name only and is simply chasing money at this point in the tiktok fortnite shooter space.

R6Rider

Gold Member
BF2042 is a BF game in name only

People love saying this and it's complete bullshit.

And the narrative that the game is in a terrible state right now is also bullshit. Game performance is great on PS5 and Series X (I've read that PC version has some optimization problems) and other than the server issues yesterday I have had no issues outside of minor bugs.

This is nothing compared to BF4's launch. It's far from perfect, but it's also far off from being terrible.

my conclusion so far is that 2042....the main game is dogshit. Soulless, listless, continues the trend of the dumbification and aimlessness of this franchise into a further downward spiral just like dogshit BF1 and dogshit BFV did

however.

Portal is kinda fckn awesome. The only problem is finding what you want. Because rn ppl are creating terrible servers. I just got into a game and my team didn't have weapons. We just had knives. And the other team was spawncamping in tanks and helicopters reigning down hell upon us.

Lots of ppl are making "PVE servers to xp farm". One good thing is if u cant find what ur looking for, u can just make it.

So i did. I made a server with just Bad Company 2 and BF 3 maps. Made it only 32 player. I removed the compass, removed the awful bleed out mechanic, took out prone. Now the problem is trying to get ppl into ur server. There should be a thing that allows ur new server to be highlighted once. Like "okay ur server will be featured at 3pm" or something.

I made a pretty basic classic style server. Which i would expect a million of by now. But so far im having trouble finding one. I think global launch will probably fill Portal with everything ppl could want. In every permutation. If it wasn't for there only being 3 maps between BC2 and BF3. This game would be a day 1 buy for me. And i would just ignore that the main part of the game exists

S0ULZB0URNE

I have found many of the old BF games and modes via Portal the problem for me last night anyhow are the populations of the servers are super low with as so many servers have people really spread out.

I know its early access and this should get a lot better with official launch but that will also mean many more people making their own servers
It's packed on PS5.

Riky

$MSFT
I've noticed this lets you install the Xbox One version on Series X, I don't know any other game that allows you to that on Xbox. Downloading to see if it will let you play.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've noticed this lets you install the Xbox One version on Series X, I don't know any other game that allows you to that on Xbox. Downloading to see if it will let you play.
It's to let you play with last gen players as well. Since PS5 and Series X/S owners can't play with last gen owners outside of the versions servers.

Riky

$MSFT
It's to let you play with last gen players as well. Since PS5 and Series X/S owners can't play with last gen owners outside of the versions servers.

Makes sense, I know on PS5 you can have the PS4 versions as well but this is the first time I've seen it on Xbox.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Think Cold War was the same. It’s basically games without smart delivery that have 2 separate SKUs.

People love saying this and it's complete bullshit.

And the narrative that the game is in a terrible state right now is also bullshit. Game performance is great on PS5 and Series X (I've read that PC version has some optimization problems) and other than the server issues yesterday I have had no issues outside of minor bugs.

This is nothing compared to BF4's launch. It's far from perfect, but it's also far off from being terrible.
Yea i will vouch for that...performance wise its been smooth as hell. Im impressed with how good my servers have been.

Luipadre

yeah lets not say this is BF4 level of launch, not even close. Im surprised how well it runs on PS5 especially since high end PCs having issues. Its not locked 60 but the drops are not bad and not annoying. Also there are a bunch of players on PS5 already and its just early access. I turned off crossplay and the servers are packed and mm is fast

Last edited:

Hestar69

the TTK and hit reg on this game is OFF..like bad..They need to fix that ASAP. I dunno what they did,but in the beta it felt better somehow. Maybe its the servers sucking ass.

As someone said above,its not BF4 BAD...but it needs alot of work.

Also, they better add more portal maps soon. 2 per thing is dumb. I want all of bad company 2 and even 1 maps on here.

Haggard

Banned
I can`t wrap my head around how this game manages to look worse than its own predecessors. There are so many low detail/res assets on all the maps that it looks literally half-finished at times.
Either it`s that or the frostbite engine is in the red with those map sizes and they had to cut corners.

Luipadre

the TTK and hit reg on this game is OFF..like bad..They need to fix that ASAP. I dunno what they did,but in the beta it felt better somehow. Maybe its the servers sucking ass.

As someone said above,its not BF4 BAD...but it needs alot of work.

Also, they better add more portal maps soon. 2 per thing is dumb. I want all of bad company 2 and even 1 maps on here.

TTK is good, but hit detection is wonky. I noticed it more when the servers were fucked so its probably a server thing

R6Rider

Gold Member
Using Mackay on Manifest is amazing. Hiding on the cranes and containers and flanking all over. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom