• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 | Review Thread

SZips

I'm utterly flabbergasted. I loved that wicked dopamine hit at the end of the round where it showed your badges slamming onto the screen, then having the scoreboard posted up so I could see how much of a boss I was, and yet they took it out. I can't even understand what the reasoning would be for this.
I honestly forgot about rank ups.

So, those happen after the squad stats. You see how much XP you earned under vague headings like "round actions" or "victory bonus". Then it fills up a bar at the bottom and shows you what I'm guessing are the five ribbons you're closest to earning with progress bars under those.

Just found a video showing all of this off to give you a visual idea of it all:

I honestly forgot about rank ups.

So, those happen after the squad stats. You see how much XP you earned under vague headings like "round actions" or "victory bonus". Then it fills up a bar at the bottom and shows you what I'm guessing are the five ribbons you're closest to earning with progress bars under those.

Just found a video showing all of this off to give you a visual idea of it all:

That end of round stuff actually looks cool don't get me wrong, what I don't understand is why the scoreboard couldn't also be there for the other potential 124 players in the friggin match that wouldn't mind seeing their stats!

EDMIX

That end of round stuff actually looks cool don't get me wrong, what I don't understand is why the scoreboard couldn't also be there for the other potential 124 players in the friggin match that wouldn't mind seeing their stats!

Agreed. It looks awesome.....now let us see dem stats lol

I get why they might not want that as the focus if its a make a team focus, squad focus team play type thing vs kill, kill, kill K/D type deal, but for those that might get upset over that, let them have an option to skip or not see that shit, many of us like seeing those stats and still play as a team, do objectives etc.

So I'm expecting it to return after launch.

I get why they might not want that as the focus if its a make a team focus, squad focus team play type thing vs kill, kill, kill K/D type deal, but for those that might get upset over that, let them have an option to skip or not see that shit, many of us like seeing those stats and still play as a team, do objectives etc.

I mean, to be honest the main important stuff seems awesome, the gameplay all that. As a massive Battlefield fan since 1942 i eagerly anticipate each new release, even 5! While everyone was whining about 5 I felt like that Vincent Vega gif, I got a ton of enjoyment out of it. I typically don't get too bent out of shape over anything with videogames cause wtf, it's just a game who cares. I either don't buy it and move on or pick it up and enjoy it for what it is, I'm just completely confused as to why Dice made these decisions.

But yeah, it hasn't even fully launched yet so who knows what patches will be coming down the line. I have a ton of Farcry 6 left so it'll give me some time to see how this shakes out.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The purple board had a thread where game site reviewers got a guide book from EA to tell them what to say and review. And supposedly their reviews are based on playing the PC version and certain canned MP modes and maps.

Not sure how true that is, but that was the thread.

So unless the review site or YT reviewer is showing proof of him playing all kinds of modes and maps in MP dont believe any shit they say as they were pressured to review the game under big constraints. If the review is very vague no doubt that guy listened to the limitations of the early copy agreement guidelines.

Last edited:
Breakthrough is pure fucking chaos , u can sorta handle 128 players in conquest but in breakthrough if like 40 50 players charge towards a point with tanks , ATV and helicopters prepare to get fucked.im lvl 30 now and there was not 1 match of breakthrough which was not pure metro/locker like chaos

nikos

Hazard Zone is really good, even with random fill. Friends aren't playing the game yet, but it's going to be a lot of fun to get in there properly.

Game seems either unoptimized or demanding. Running medium settings on a 3080 Ti at 3840x1600 ultrawide to keep frames high. Hopefully a guide comes soon to let us know the most taxing settings to turn down. Game still looks really good and visibility is probably better anyway.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Even with all the issues there is fun to be had in the 10 hour trial, I think I might wait for a sale and a ton of fixes though, I have 7 hours left on the trial, I’ll wait until the Alpha is further along.

hlm666

Hazard Zone is really good, even with random fill. Friends aren't playing the game yet, but it's going to be a lot of fun to get in there properly.

Game seems either unoptimized or demanding. Running medium settings on a 3080 Ti at 3840x1600 ultrawide to keep frames high. Hopefully a guide comes soon to let us know the most taxing settings to turn down. Game still looks really good and visibility is probably better anyway.
Any idea if DLSS provide much benefit or is this hitting cpu limits more than gpu?

DeaDPo0L84

People AGAIN tried to use the high scores as a metric for "gotcha" moments for those who knew better. DICE once more proving they can't launch a game without major issues and again this will more than likely take months or years if BF4 is any indication to course correct.

Funny enough the best part of the package is the portion that let's you play previous entries in the series cause that's where all the fun is.

Last edited:

It's such a flawed logic that players will not focus on objectives if they can see their K/D. Maybe fucking idiots who don't know how to play the game anyway. Having no scoreboard at all will only encourage people to not give a fuck entirely. And then you can't even see stats in the menus?

Real battlefield fans who stick around for the long term know what they're doing, but yet again DICE pays little mind to its core audience.

nikos

Any idea if DLSS provide much benefit or is this hitting cpu limits more than gpu?

Haven't done too much testing but it seemed to provide a pretty significant benefit, set to Quality, when I had the rest of the settings maxed. I'm running a 9900k.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's such a flawed logic that players will not focus on objectives if they can see their K/D. Maybe fucking idiots who don't know how to play the game anyway. Having no scoreboard at all will only encourage people to not give a fuck entirely. And then you can't even see stats in the menus?

Real battlefield fans who stick around for the long term know what they're doing, but yet again DICE pays little mind to its core audience.
I'm mostly a TDM player in COD, so I care about KD and teammates with KD because you cant win if everyone has bad KD.

But when I play objectives, I still like to see stats even though I know the gameplay is totally different in an objective mode --- to a point. You still need good reflexes and killing skills to capture objectives.

I'll be honest, if a mode had no stats at all that's a blessing. As you said, I'd just fuck around and test out loadouts in a corner knowing stats arent there. It'd be like playing a casual open game lobby with no stat tracking. I used to play some old NHL games against randoms in one-off matches and didnt give a shit but when I played EASHL league mode I tried every match.

Last edited:
After several attempts to join a server and getting that persistence error (or one of my friends just outright crashing), my friends and I finally got in to a game.

Performance is absolutely abysmal. It's not even fully utilizing my 1080 Ti. I see it maxing out at 90% usage while still experiencing framerate drops below the 72fps cap I had to force. This is across most all graphical settings as well. CPU (5900X) also has PLENTY of headroom.

We then got the persistence error yet again after that first match ended. So we tried out Portal. Connected just fine to all the servers and game modes we tried there. Saw a shitload of sad sacks that set up and joined XP bot farming servers. Tried out some of the featured game types for BF1942, BF3, and Bad Company 2. All seemed... fine?

The biggest issue with Portal is how you actually change weapon attachments in those games. You have to customize it, then modify the position of the attachment you actually want to be in the slot closest to the center of the plus(+) menu. Otherwise, you can't actually attach anything. Who the FUCK though that was a good idea? It's bad enough that there are so many other issues with the UI in this game.

This Reddit thread does a great job at illustrating most all of the issues I have with this game:

I've been with this franchise since BF1942. It's had its ups and downs, but I've never seen a Battlefield game as bad as this is right now. Yes, this is far worse than Battlefield 4 was at launch. It's abysmal so far. Maybe I'll feel better if I could actually play more of the All Out Warfare mode, but who the hell knows when that'll happen.

Lmao thank you for this.

I no longer need to continue reading the thread to conclude that the game is trash and I should avoid it at all costs.

dano1

A Sheep
I'm utterly flabbergasted. I loved that wicked dopamine hit at the end of the round where it showed your badges slamming onto the screen, then having the scoreboard posted up so I could see how much of a boss I was, and yet they took it out. I can't even understand what the reasoning would be for this.
Game wasn’t ready. Pretty sure stats and the scoreboard crashed the game. My guess you’ll see it in 6 months. Driveclub had similar issues

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game wasn’t ready. Pretty sure stats and the scoreboard crashed the game. My guess you’ll see it in 6 months. Driveclub had similar issues
That's amazing in this age of gaming if scoreboard recaps are crashing the game. If it was due to politics or trying to purposely get people to not focus on numbers then fine. But if it's truly buggy scoreboards, thats crazy.

Unreal Tournament had perfectly working scoreboards when I played it in 2000 and every other shooter has working scoreboards and post game recap screens too. I dont see how it can be that hard.

I'll give the game a whirl using the trial myself on the weekend. The beta didnt impress me at all. But lets see if the final game is better.

fersnake

After several attempts to join a server and getting that persistence error (or one of my friends just outright crashing), my friends and I finally got in to a game.

Performance is absolutely abysmal. It's not even fully utilizing my 1080 Ti. I see it maxing out at 90% usage while still experiencing framerate drops below the 72fps cap I had to force. This is across most all graphical settings as well. CPU (5900X) also has PLENTY of headroom.

We then got the persistence error yet again after that first match ended. So we tried out Portal. Connected just fine to all the servers and game modes we tried there. Saw a shitload of sad sacks that set up and joined XP bot farming servers. Tried out some of the featured game types for BF1942, BF3, and Bad Company 2. All seemed... fine?

The biggest issue with Portal is how you actually change weapon attachments in those games. You have to customize it, then modify the position of the attachment you actually want to be in the slot closest to the center of the plus(+) menu. Otherwise, you can't actually attach anything. Who the FUCK though that was a good idea? It's bad enough that there are so many other issues with the UI in this game.

This Reddit thread does a great job at illustrating most all of the issues I have with this game:

I've been with this franchise since BF1942. It's had its ups and downs, but I've never seen a Battlefield game as bad as this is right now. Yes, this is far worse than Battlefield 4 was at launch. It's abysmal so far. Maybe I'll feel better if I could actually play more of the All Out Warfare mode, but who the hell knows when that'll happen.

omfg and i preordered this shit. i fucking knew it. this is the last EA game that i buy.

sinnergy

Played the trial a bit, is it me or does this game look pretty bad … Forza horizon 5 shits all over this visually. At least that was in the desert with sky scrapers.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hahaha you know what? That actually crossed my mind. I was like is Dice worried about people feeling like losers down at the bottom of the pile with their weak k/d ratios and low score?

Thats what I suspect.

Pretty much, I hope it gets patched back in and simply an option for it to be skipped if someone feels offended by it or something lol

Game wasn’t ready

Nah I think they thus far are doing good enough to support a release. Its not saying the scoreboard missing isn't an issue, simply that it missing isn't a mistake. The choice to do this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with not being ready. It sounds like DICE wanted to take some Overwatch like approach to insure team play and not have people JUST worried about kills and K/D ratio etc. So its very likely it will return based on feed back and any more time without a release wasn't going to get us a BF with that scoreboard, for all we know even if you give them 6 months or 1 year and it didn't release, it means they also don't know that a mass majority want the scoreboard back, how can they know if the game didn't come out yet? =)

I've said this before about art to get artist to push out more work. In order to get better, you must do enough work for a critique to find those mistakes to fix them. Not doing the work of couse means the mistake never happens because the art doesn't happen, but it still means the art doesn't happen. Its simply how a lot of this works and with how dynamic software is, its just not something that can just be "ready" most times, that organic feedback is what allow the game to shape, change, alter over time to be something everyone likes or is ok with etc, but it needs that massive feed back though, which means it must release in the first place. Q and A can only do so much and the game just can't live in beta forever. So its not saying this shouldn't be corrected, simply that they are fine to put the game out, let us decide patch later on vs delay.

That's amazing in this age of gaming if scoreboard recaps are crashing the game.

I don't know how much of that is true, but I know not of how that engine works so lol So I'd say unless either of us actually made Frostbite, we don't really know what going on with it if it crashes then as I don't really know what causes that to judge that situation. I don't really even know if that is the real reason behind it missing vs some Overwatch feelings of not wanting to offend people and or no K/D means people will do objective vs kill, kill, kill lol I'm not sure on this one.

Dano could be right, it could be crashing and a tech issue and it will be back later or it could have been a design choice.

I no longer need to continue reading the thread to conclude that the game is trash and I should avoid it at all costs.

The lolz, its still a day 1 for me. Look...the BF community and I'd say most gaming communites tend to exaggearte a fuck ton of things, to the point of us hearing this about like ever BF thats come out

Bad Company add single player, can't go prone (HOLY FUCKING SHIT, well this isn't BF folks ,its cAlL oF dUtY)
Bad Company 2 (more Call Of Duty, no thanks, we want old BF)
BF3 (Team Death Match? why looks like more call of duty and more DLC)
BF4 (this launch is just horrid and its has mall maps like BF3, rips off Call Of Duty...end of days and the DLC splits the community folks)
BF1 (we don't want WWI, were is modern wars? its WOKE)
BFV (WOoooooOOOOOOKE)

So at this point, many of us are use to this whole doom and gloom narrative and those games turned out just fine for millions. So I'd say just play it yourself and see how you feel as I don't think I can tell you how you'd end up feeling about the game. Nothing I post would legit tell you how that would go and you'd just need to find out yourself. I see more good in this then bad and I just can't bitch about, 128 players, bots return, server browser, Portal, free maps and robot dogs.

A lot on that list is also fake btw.

As in number 14 is a complete lie, the destruction is not lessor, its actually more so then the original Bad Company as the New Frostbite Engine does more complex destruction compared to 11 years ago.

I think the person wrote it cause they feel like if it doesn't state "Bad Company 3" zero destruction exist or some dumb shit, they didn't evne fucking play enough to even just judge then, they instead just made up what they thought was the case based on what others have said, but fuck has anyone actually sat there and actually made an attempt to test out the damage on those Bad Company maps to actually see themselves? Instead of trust ones eyes, they listen to someone from Reddit lol Dear god...

I won't just TELL you and you should buy it, I'll show you and you can make up your mind on it, but I feel someone play it to make that choice vs reddit lol They make anything seem like the end of the world folks, using this shit logic no BF should have been successful as they hate all BF launches anyway lol

I'm not saying BUY IT NOW, simply form your own view if you play it vs reddit as a lot of that list is legit lies....

So do you not see why I might have a hard time buying a game based on what they stated when clearly that simply isn't true? I knew it had this level of destruction simply caues BFV has this type of destruction, but if someone isn't going to play a game, get triggered and then post a bunch of lies about it, it means they don't know you can drive a fucking tank into a house in BFV, thus can in BF 2042 etc, they simply think that is ONLY for Bad Company and it must be called Bad Company 3 in order for them to see and know this or something lol Its one of the funniest myths that go around the community of the later games.

dano1

A Sheep
That's amazing in this age of gaming if scoreboard recaps are crashing the game. If it was due to politics or trying to purposely get people to not focus on numbers then fine. But if it's truly buggy scoreboards, thats crazy.

Unreal Tournament had perfectly working scoreboards when I played it in 2000 and every other shooter has working scoreboards and post game recap screens too. I dont see how it can be that hard.

I'll give the game a whirl using the trial myself on the weekend. The beta didnt impress me at all. But lets see if the final game is better.
I just don’t see a company that makes a game that your blowing up people would give a crap about the soft people that don’t like to see themselves in last place. You would actually have to scroll if your that bad anyway 😂.
Well I’ve heard some people are really enjoying it so hopefully it’s at least fun. I preordered it and have played every Battlefield. Can’t be worse than BF4s release. Couldn’t play for about a week! Took about 2 months before it was normal.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Because everyone’s a winner baby! Its 2021!
I played one game on Noshahr Canals in Portal last night. I actually quite enjoyed it, and thought I did well (around 7 or 8 kills, maybe 5 deaths). I tried hitting the traditional back button/every button on the pad to see the score board and at the end of the game was expecting to see my k/d. How am I supposed to see my improvement over time if I can never see how I’m doing?

EDMIX

I just don’t see a company that makes a game that your blowing up people would give a crap about the soft people that don’t like to see themselves in last place. You would actually have to scroll if your that bad anyway 😂.
Well I’ve heard some people are really enjoying it so hopefully it’s at least fun. I preordered it and have played every Battlefield. Can’t be worse than BF4s release. Couldn’t play for about a week! Took about 2 months before it was normal.

Agreed. If someone is hurt by this, update it as an option and let them not see how bad the did compared to everyone else lol If anything I'd argue a scoreboard lets them see what they are doing wrong in terms of points. If someone is JUST doing killing, let them see that their score is low cause they are not doing the objective or giving out ammo, health, revives etc I love getting single digit kills and being in the top 5 and reminding folks that its NOT just about K/D, I feel a scoreboard can show them that better tbh.

I also agree with BF4's launch just being a mess. I love BF4, but that launch was just fucking horrid. Crashes, server issues, for a long time I couldn't even get in a server and I'd just play the single player of Killzone SF. I remember feeling like that shit might as well came out in 2014 cause I didn't play it til that year lol

Urban

Voice chat is still a thing? At this point 98% of people are in parties or discord
Yeah but I wanted to buy it on PS5 and play with my friend who only got a PC so ?
I’ll go the Nintendo switch route and connect with my phone to discord

R6Rider

Gold Member
Other than the server issues going on I had a blast this past day. I still haven't tried Hazard Zone yet.

I finally got to play all the maps too. Also tried out 1942 Conquest, BC2 Rush, and BF3 Conquest in Portal and all three are super fun. Definitely going to be playing a lot of BC2 Rush.

Just about to hit rank 20 (literally 5 XP off lol) and working towards unlocking the LCMG bipod. That second marksman rifle you unlock is amazing too.

I do wish there was a scoreboard and proper squad management system in place. Also noticed the occasional hit registration issue.

G-DannY

we clearly need also on gaf a big scoreboard at the end of every thread showing points (about platform warring) and C/R (complain to reply ratio)

just to keep people motivated to progress and unlock nice things :)

Last edited:
Agreed on the scoreboard stuff. If they truly removed it because people didn’t like others to see their scores then boohoo, get good.

Can’t be worse than BF4 release? Server wise, much better. Gameplay wise? Far worse, other end of the spectrum I’d say. The game is boring and just chock full of bad design choices. Stick to portal and you’ll have loads of fun, just be prepared for the content to be hugely lacking.

Sybrix

Another game to prove that Day 1 purchases are always a bad idea.

In fact, does this even count as Day 1?

The game looks like a 2nd Beta test tbh.

However when we get to the full release date hardly any of the issues present in the game seem like they will get fixed.

The thing that worries me is the lack of all chat and no scoreboard, no VOIP... even with your team!

You might has well be playing against bots.

WTF were EA/DICE thinking with this shit?

I really hope for a big update to change all this next year, once that comes, ill get the game.

Its so funny to watch all the Battlefield friendly YouTubers like JackFrags and Westie live streaming the game and it just looks bland, the maps look so static and this stupid cyclone shit will get annoying real fast, i played the beta and after 3-4 games you get sick of the change in weather.

Last edited:
This game feels seriously boring and rough. Glad I used the EA Play trial instead of buying. I won’t be getting this until a plethora of patches have been dropped to bring the game up to DICE’s usual standard of polish, and the game is heavily discounted.

Back to Vanguard! So pleasantly surprised with that game, I’m shocked at how good the MP is, as I had 0 expectations going in. Super fun.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I'm really liking it on Series X. The graphics are amazing and the size and epicness of the battles, especially on Breakthrough, are unparalleled in any other game imo.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

Im liking the game, but theres some things that i dont like.

- No Scoreboard WTF (really WTF)
- Only 22 weapons ... Bf4 launched with more than 60 (2042dont even have a SP and its ok by me, but ONLY 22 guns at launch is a JOKE, as a BF guy im disapointed)
- Even with a beastly pc my fps wont go 100+ fps (i think its a engine limitation / 128 player and all)
- Weapons felt better in BC2 BF3 and BF4 than in BF2042 (whys that?) - All weapons sound the same for me, maybe im old.
- Portal is Better than the 2042 game
- Especialists are STUPID (Classes are so much better, as you can see in PORTAL)

Even with all those negative things im liking the game, great with friends.

Last edited:
This Battlefield is rough . Its ok to be a fan of the franchise but I see alot of piss poor excuses being made for EAs sloppy ass. This is a continued beta . They got alot of work to do on this one to bring it up to par. Top to bottom.

Concern

Portal easily showed why the old games are way better. No voice chat is inexcusable, especially for a crossplay game.

I'll wait for a few patches and a price drop. 10 hour trial is enough to get my fill in.

And as for scoreboards. If you hold start while in game (meaning not in respawn/map/loadout menu), it pops up.

Amaranty

Got to try 3 maps so far and everything feels so colossal and spaced out to the point that it feels unrealistic.

GC_DALBEN

Portal easily showed why the old games are way better. No voice chat is inexcusable, especially for a crossplay game.

I'll wait for a few patches and a price drop. 10 hour trial is enough to get my fill in.

And as for scoreboards. If you hold start while in game (meaning not in respawn/map/loadout menu), it pops up.
But only show SQUAD scoreboard no? On PC if you press TAB only show a SQUAD scoreboard, what a ridiculous decision, ill try again later after work.

Concern

But only show SQUAD scoreboard no? On PC if you press TAB only show a SQUAD scoreboard, what a ridiculous decision, ill try again later after work.

Iirc no. Was definitely more than 4 people on each side. It just uses icons rather than "k" "d" for kills and deaths.

Top Bottom