• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco plans on remastering Soulcalibur 1, potentially as part of a collection of remastered Soulcalibur games

This is cool and all, but I was more interested in a Tekken collection with the original PS1 games bundled together for sale. I'm pretty sure everybody on here has memories of Tekken 3, even if they didn't like or play fighting games, it was that influential.
I'm probably the only guy in the world who preferred the true 1st Soul Calibur game

Edit: Beaten

MzBhKtK.jpg
How can you be when it was the highest rated game on the Dreamcast? I remember Gamespot giving it a perfect 10.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is cool and all, but I was more interested in a Tekken collection with the original PS1 games bundled together for sale. I'm pretty sure everybody on here has memories of Tekken 3, even if they didn't like or play fighting games, it was that influential.

How can you be when it was the highest rated game on the Dreamcast? I remember Gamespot giving it a perfect 10.
I think I liked SoulBlade more because it was the original so it was fresh to me. It was this new awesome 3D fighter

I think I liked SoulBlade more because it was the original so it was fresh to me. It was this new awesome 3D fighter
You didn't mention Soul Blade/Edge before, you mentioned Soul Calibur which was the second game in the series. Calibur got a perfect 10, the first game got modest reviews.

soul-edge-characters-art-logo.jpg
61A4CS0TBML._AC_SX466_.jpg

SirTerry-T

I hope they retain that beautiful, art direction that SC 1 had, the later games...in my opinion...were almost too "glossy" with all the bells and whistles that more powerful hardware supplied the Dev team with.

It's hard to describe but the DC version with that gorgeous texture work had an wonderful almost painterly look that the normal mapped, higher detailed models of later versions lacked.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The image didn't show up for me so my bad. I've never played a single SoulCalibur game, I'm more interested in what Namco does with those earlier PS1 games. Bring Tekken PS1 collection to Steam and I'll be happy baby!!!
What if they made a Tekken or Soul Calibur remake?

What if they made a Tekken or Soul Calibur remake?
I'm more interested within a Tekken remake than a Soul Calibur one. Assuming this collection makes money then Namco will strongly entertaining remaking their original entries. Tekken 7 and 8 will have a home on Steam, I want the second and third games to be the same. I'm not too bothered about the first entry because it's mediocre in my opinion, though it would be nice to have due to completion sake.

SNG32

I’m wondering if they will remaster Soul Calibur 4 and 5. Especially since 4 has all the Star Wars dlc and 5 has Assassins creed. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just 1 - 3 and just the arcade versions. Similar to how Capcom handled the Street fighter collection.

I was pretty pleased to play Soul Calibur 1 HD (XBLA version) on Series S years after release. Hopefully more people will get to enjoy it this time around. I am sad they butchered the Soul Calibur II HD port with PAL PS2 version issues, but loved the original NTSC PS2 release. Would be willing to double dip for the Arcade Edition of Soul Calibur III.

wvnative

I’m wondering if they will remaster Soul Calibur 4 and 5. Especially since 4 has all the Star Wars dlc and 5 has Assassins creed. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just 1 - 3 and just the arcade versions. Similar to how Capcom handled the Street fighter collection.

I don't even want 4 and 5.

I would be mildly interested in Broken Destiny getting a high fidelity remaster for modern systems. However, the original IV has way too many balancing problems and lack of content. I don't even want to aknowledge the abomination that followed and threw away everything that made the series good.

Last edited:
Hilariously, I had no idea Soul Calibur series was a follow up to Soul Edge until I checked the back of the box of Soul Calibur II on the shelf. Good thing Taki was on it, otherwise I would not have known for a long time. Soul Calibur II still has my highest survival streak of any Namco title (with Heihachi, the best guest character). Shame he has not reappeared with his unique fighting style in any other entry despite being owned by the same company. If they manage to do a port right this time I would not mind having a digital copy to fire up on a whim.

3908345-soulcalibur-ii-playstation-2-back-cover.jpg

P.S. I still prefer playing Edge Master Mode to Weapon Master Mode in the sequels.

Last edited:
Hilariously, I had no idea Soul Calibur series was a follow up to Soul Edge until I checked the back of the box of Soul Calibur II on the shelf. Good thing Taki was on it, otherwise I would not have known for a long time. Soul Calibur II still has my highest survival streak of any Namco title (with Heihachi, the best guest character). Shame he has not reappeared with his unique fighting style in any other entry despite being owned by the same company. If they manage to do a port right this time I would not mind having a digital copy to fire up on a whim.

3908345-soulcalibur-ii-playstation-2-back-cover.jpg
They should reboot it and call it Caliber Souls. Get a few million extra sales.

93xfan

Banned
The reason I bought a PlayStation.

I don’t think it was better than Calibur, which was one hell of a package - but for its time no other fighting game came close imo.
I remember Gamefan hyping up the Soul Edge arcade version and talking about it having the best visuals they had ever seen. True or not, that and the time of day changes I read about got me hyped for it

I was actually going to make a thread about SC… been playing 6 but just don’t care for it that much. Was trying to find a way to play SC4 again, but it looks like that will be forever stuck on PS3. Even getting SC2HD on current Gen would be a step in the right direction.

But overall I’d love a Soul Calibur collection.

Top Bottom