• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco plans on remastering Soulcalibur 1, potentially as part of a collection of remastered Soulcalibur games

Barakov

Andre The Giant GIF by Giphy QA

Chupanibre

Out of all the versions I've played since the original Soul Edge, I'd have to say the first Soul Calibur is still my favorite to this day. 2 is close, but the first one on the Dreamcast took a few years of my life ill never get back.

So, yeah. If this is coming I'm going to jump on it.

Mr Branding

I’ll take antything Soulcalibur at this point but hopefully it’s a collection with at least the first three games. Just thinking about a remastered Sc3 with balance changes from the Arcade Edition gets me hyped.
That being said, the first one is still an amazing fighter to this day!

93xfan

Banned
Soul Edge/Blade forever. The legend will ever die. I love the OG.

They already did remaster Soul Calibur 1 on XBLA, though it was the arcade version rather than the Dreamcast version.

Give us Soul Edge, Calibur 1, 2 & 3 (arcade edition) remakes please.
Sure you’re not mixing that up? Also, SC 1 and 2 are on Xbox through BC

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Edit: Beaten
I don't think you were?

In gameplay and visuals Soulcalibur is miles ahead but Blade/Edge had a) the finest video game intro ever, b) awesome production values with in-engine endings, some of which with branching choices/playable-ish and c) better mission mode where you earned new imba weapons and shit.

They already did remaster Soul Calibur 1 on XBLA, though it was the arcade version rather than the Dreamcast version.
It was the DC version and not remastered, just 720p instead of 480p and without the intro, mission mode and related unlocks (the unlock content was there but didn't need to be unlocked or was in other ways, I forget). The arcade version has almost Tekken 3 level visuals so is worse than both.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
it is one of the best fighting games ever made but it was stuck on the Dream Cast, a remaster with Online support (Rollback netcode of course) could create a community of hardcore SC players.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I played Soul Blade so much when I was young that when Soul Calibur came out on the Dreamcast I was disappointed but yeah I'm curious how a remake would look

Alx

That's good. The first Soulcalibur still feels perfect and actually better than most of the other episodes. Simple, smooth, sharp, most of what they added later felt unnecessary. I'm fine with the current XBLA version though, but I'd be interested with a Soulcalibur collection mostly for SCV that can't be played on current generations (mostly for Viola who was my main and never reappeared again)

Last edited:
Soul Calibur II was the one which first introduced exclusive characters per console.

The Gamecube version of SC2 had Link as the guest character. Yes, Link.

The Xbox and PS2 versions had Spawn and Heihachi, respectively.

If they remaster SC2 they should put all 3 guest characters in the remaster.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't think you were?

In gameplay and visuals Soulcalibur is miles ahead but Blade/Edge had a) the finest video game intro ever, b) awesome production values with in-engine endings, some of which with branching choices/playable-ish and c) better mission mode where you earned new imba weapons and shit.

It was the DC version and not remastered, just 720p instead of 480p and without the intro, mission mode and related unlocks (the unlock content was there but didn't need to be unlocked or was in other ways, I forget). The arcade version has almost Tekken 3 level visuals so is worse than both.

I even liked the gameplay better in Soulblade lol especially Taki and another male character who I can't remember the name of

saintjules

I agree. Soulblade changed the way I looked at 3D fighters. Plus it did something truly special and that was "Edge Master" mode. That gave the game even greater replay value.

I've never been more hype for an intro than this one

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
In Love Reaction GIF

I bought a used Dreamcast and a copy of Soul Calibur when the console’s time was already over.
Nothing could prepare me for that. Just the floor textures popped so much, it looked like my CRT TV was suddenly upgraded with 3D features. SC was the flashiest, the coolest, the smoothest, the most fun fighting game ever. The adventure mode, while admittedly not as good as in Soul Edge, was insanely addictive. The demos with the CPU showing off each character’s moves were mindblowing.

SC2 was also very good and we spent a lot of time with it in multiplayer, but the first game was an epiphany. The sequels added characters, gimmicks, and boobs. None of them recaptured the show, the fun, the action, the pure love that was poured into the Dreamcast version of the original.

And yeah, if Namco wants to remaster or even redo Soul Edge, I’ll be there day one. The time I spent with that game on the PS1 was worth every second. A 60fps version would be hnnnnnng.

KellyM

I think this why that Namco delisted Soul Calibur 1 and 2 on the Xbox 360 and PS3. I am looking forward to this. I always wondered why Namco hadn't put Soul Calibur 1 and 2 on the Switch. I guess we will finally see it happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom