• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco denies it is bringing Scarlet Nexus on Xbox Game Pass

ScarletNexus_HERO-1280x720.jpg

Bandai Namco has denied reports it’s set to bring its upcoming science-fiction RPG Scarlet Nexus to Xbox Game Pass.

Earlier this week it was claimed that Microsoft had secured the title as a day one release for its subscription service, similar to how it signed Square Enix’s Outriders earlier this year.

However, when asked to comment on the claims, a Bandai Namco spokesperson issued a straight denial to VGC on Tuesday.

“We have no plans to bring Scarlet Nexus to Xbox Game Pass at this time and are excited for its launch on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4 and PC on June 25,” they said.

Revealed in May 2020 during the first Xbox Series X gameplay showcase, Scarlet Nexus takes place in a distant future in which a group of psionic soldiers called the OSF represents humanity’s last hope in a battle against brain-eating mutants known as Others.

In a recent Scarlet Nexus hands-on preview, VGC’s Chris Scullion said the title was “shaping up to be a solid anime action game”.

“It’s fair to say some of the trailers have been a little confusing, and while it’s clear it’s another third-person action game from the makers of Code Vein and God Eater, questions remain around how it actually plays,” he said.

“Well, we recently went hands-on with the game’s first few hours and can finally shed some light on what you can expect from Bandai Namco‘s latest.

“In our video above, we explain how the combat mechanics work in Scarlet Nexus, as well as other features like psychokinesis, the bond system and the differences between the two protagonists.”

The game is due to release in just a few weeks, on June 25.

Last edited:
the damage has been done, they will wait for gamepass and you can kiss your sales goodbye bamco

And herein lies the reason I believe these rumors keep popping up. Everybody keeps saying everything is going to gamepass in hopes people wait and hurt sales of the game so publishers start to view game pass as bad for business.

It's console wars taken to the next level. 4D chess. Same for Battlefield if that rumor turns up false.

the damage has been done, they will wait for gamepass and you can kiss your sales goodbye bamco
Xbox accounts for 25% of sales on average. Alot of these developers make more money by Microsoft over paying for subscriber increases. Like Sony selling Greyhound to Apple for 100 million. They would have made a fraction in the theaters. Warner in the other hand fucks themselves because they undervalue their own content by putting it in HBO Max. Something Sony is unwilling to do.

While I think its more profitable to be on gamepass the short term. It trains the customers to expect all the games on gamepass. Giving Microsoft more leverage, and ultimately not overpaying.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
To be perfectly honest, Bandai Namco should accept a payday for Scarlett Nexus (and Tales of Arise in September) to be on Game Pass because there's literally no hype or word of mouth for this game at all. On the Microsoft side, they get two Japanese games day one which is huge in of itself and shows that they're going after single player AAA titles as well as co-op/MP/live service AAA titles. For Bandai Namco, being on Game Pass is free money, will lead to more sales and generate more hype than what there currently is for the game.

Not expecting it to happen but it should and if it does, it would be announced Sunday at the Xbox showcase since the game releases in two weeks or so.

GHG

Gold Member
And herein lies the reason I believe these rumors keep popping up. Everybody keeps saying everything is going to gamepass in hopes people wait and hurt sales of the game so publishers start to view game pass as bad for business.

It's console wars taken to the next level. 4D chess. Same for Battlefield if that rumor turns up false.

The reality is these rumours will pop up for every game Xbox have a marketing deal with and most of the time I see them originating from within the Xbox community or those with close ties to the community.

For example, this one originated from an Xbox Era podcast:

MrS

Banned
It should. The game is gonna bomb like Code Vein. Might as well take some of Phil's money and get the game in to peoples hands and generate some buzz.

StormCell

Saw "Bamdai Namco denies" and was really hoping this was a Donkey Kong related topic. Disappointed either way. Loving gamepass.

blackjon24

I feel that even though Microsoft has the marketing deal for this game Xbox fans aren’t really all that excited for this game I wonder if this was a bit of a mid step

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope Xbox gamers don't skip this just because it not on game-pass, I personally really enjoyed the demo, I'm there day one.

Riiiiight......

Taking your paranoia to the next level

I hope Xbox gamers don't skip this just because it not on game-pass, I personally really enjoyed the demo, I'm there day one.
I wouldn't be surprised if most Xbox gamers skip it. Not because it isn't coming to Game Pass, but because it's another Japanese game with an anime art style. It will see most of its sales from the PC and PlayStation versions. Same thing with Tales of Arise and other multiplatform Japanese developed games. I don't think any amount of marketing for Xbox will change that.

Danjin44

I wouldn't be surprised if most Xbox gamers skip it. Not because it isn't coming to Game Pass, but because it's another Japanese game with an anime art style. It will see most of its sales from the PC and PlayStation versions. Same thing with Tales of Arise and other multiplatform Japanese developed games. I don't think any amount of marketing for Xbox will change that.
Unfortunately you are right, not all but many Xbox gamers don't have much interest in Japanese games, especially the one with very "anime" style. which makes me question what was the point for MS paying marketing rights for this?

Klayzer

Unfortunately you are right, not all but many Xbox gamers don't have much interest in Japanese games, especially the one with very "anime" style. which makes me question what was the point for MS paying marketing rights for this?
In my opinion, is think its a win/win for a 3rd party title to debut on Gamespass. The publisher gets a check upfront to offset possible losses of sales, plus with added addition of still having their game being sold on Live. Looking at the bigger picture, i don't seem it as a negative at all.

Danjin44

In my opinion, is think its a win/win for a 3rd party title to debut on Gamespass. The publisher gets a check upfront to offset possible losses of sales, plus with added addition of still having their game being sold on Live. Looking at the bigger picture, i don't seem it as a negative at all.
I'm sure this none issue for Namco, the game still releases on Playstation day one so even it doesn't sell much on Xbox surely it will sell on Playstation. My questions is whats is benefit for MS? I'm sure they realized by now even if they do spend money on marketing rights for this games it will still sell much more on Playstation rather than Xbox, so what was point of spending on marketing rights?

Spidey Fan

Banned
I bet its another game with 85-90% split sales ratio in favor of PS, even with the Xbox marketing.

Xbox fans will wait for the game to come to Game pass.
that is plainly false.
Japanese games tend to do bad, because nobody is interested in them that much. and i dont blame them. Japanese market has this weird notion for their games. reusing the same assets for their npcs. While the west usally have different type for their npcs. Its hard for me to get in to Japanese games, than its to get in to western games.
The last thing is the age problem. Most of Japanese games are teenagers, which are like 15. I know that is shit way to say it, but western people are more interested in older characters. or their characters as older teens, like 20+ years.

Three

Gold Member
I'm sure this none issue for Namco, the game still releases on Playstation day one so even it doesn't sell much on Xbox surely it will sell on Playstation. My questions is whats is benefit for MS? I'm sure they realized by now even if they do spend money on marketing rights for this games it will still sell much more on Playstation rather than Xbox, so what was point of spending on marketing rights?
To bolster third party I guess unsuccessfully by just giving them airtime during the show and to not have another PS exclusive by default. I don't think the marketing goes beyond that like TV spots or anything. It was just a slot at the xbox show.

No it's actually xbox owners who've legit started to think everything will eventually come to GP so why bother buying it? It's the same reason movies aren't just released straight to streaming first unless it's something that particular streaming service made themselves. MS paying for a few 3rd party games at launch to try to cover for their total lack of 1st party output over the years that game pass has been a thing is coming back to bite them in the ass.

Three

Gold Member
that is plainly false.
Japanese games tend to do bad, because nobody is interested in them that much. and i dont blame them. Japanese market has this weird notion for their games. reusing the same assets for their npcs. While the west usally have different type for their npcs. Its hard for me to get in to Japanese games, than its to get in to western games.
The last thing is the age problem. Most of Japanese games are teenagers, which are like 15. I know that is shit way to say it, but western people are more interested in older characters. or their characters as older teens, like 20+ years.
😄 What Japanese games have you played? I've seen more NPC reuse in western games and Japanese games having more exaggerated characters.

Klayzer

Good question. I've often wondered if the marketing rights purchased by Microsoft for JPN games was worth the investment. They must have internal metrics that justify those decesions.

Though, if they are serious about growing the Xbox brand worldwide, they almost have to do those types of deals for exposure. I see it as a grass roots type of growth.

Spidey Fan

Banned
😄 What Japanese games have you played? I've seen more NPC reuse in western games and Japanese games having more exaggerated characters.
That shit sword art online, one piece seeker, jump. Hated them from my heart, since its really hard to know what npc to talk.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Good question. I've often wondered if the marketing rights purchased by Microsoft for JPN games was worth the investment. They must have internal metrics that justify those decesions.

Though, if they are serious about growing the Xbox brand worldwide, they almost have to do those types of deals for exposure. I see it as a grass roots type of growth.
Its all about advertising. Its like, hey, i have this movie in this theatre, and people will go and see it. if it attracts 100k people, its a win for them, since those would be potential future customers. Same as how sony has cod marketing. They know people will buy it, but it gives them exposure. and other people will think, this game is old sold on PlayStation.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They would have made a fraction in the theaters. Warner in the other hand fucks themselves because they undervalue their own content by putting it in HBO Max. Something Sony is unwilling to do.

lol.. this is off topic, but such a silly opinion

What in the world does Sony even have to do with it? They don't have a major streaming service do they?

Last edited:

Danjin44

not really. those are my most hated. There are other reasons. Story wise, its good. but the longer you play it, the more you will die from cringing.
I LOVE One Piece with passion but most of the time their games never good, as for Sword Art Online I personally don't like the show let alone the games.

Arsic

Gold Member
It should. The game is gonna bomb like Code Vein. Might as well take some of Phil's money and get the game in to peoples hands and generate some buzz.

Did you play the demo ? This game is poised to be a banger.

Raekwon26

that is plainly false.
What is this post?

Anyway, so what if it doesn't go to gamepass, Xbox players should be picking it up since the demo was so widely accepted. Want more JRPGs on the platform then support them. Show then there is a audience for these games.

that is plainly false.
No.

Japanese games with anime visuals sell better on PlayStation, Nintendo and PC in Japan and the west.

They tend to sell worse only on Xbox in Japan and the west.

Spidey Fan

Banned
They going to skip it unfortunately especially because it’s an anime looking Japanese game.
as former anime watcher (stopped watching it), I hate anime, the more i grow up. anime was fun when i was teenager, but now watching, its horrible. The way they treat their charecter is disgusting. There are certain shows which are good (parasyte), then there is the downright utter shit (dead highschool). Those kinda of treatment makes me ignore Japanese market honestly. I just dont want to the accept those behavior and make it normal. even if that means gaming.

Spidey Fan

Banned
What is this post?

Anyway, so what if it doesn't go to gamepass, Xbox players should be picking it up since the demo was so widely accepted. Want more JRPGs on the platform then support them. Show then there is a audience for these games.
people buy what they want. but saying they wait for gamepass drop is bad. people who enjoyed the demo will buy it. people who didnt would not. its that simple.

Top Bottom