• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco denies it is bringing Scarlet Nexus on Xbox Game Pass

Klayzer

One of the few license game I was like was Fist of the North Star lost paradise.
uPJXYqE.jpg
Of coarse I have that game as well. Played about 25% of the game before I got side tracked with other matters. Need to revisit it one day. Too many games, not enough hours to play. Part of my personal holy trinity of manga/anime that I love. FOTNS, Berserk, Vampire Hunter D.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
I LOVE One Piece with passion but most of the time their games never good, as for Sword Art Online I personally don't like the show let alone the games.
i was happy for jumb force. never touched it again after i got it. should have checked the game very well.

How is persona royal gold? its 30$ on ps4 sale now.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Ahh, you're talking my language. Bebop and Champloo had god tier action and very cool musical scores. Jazz/Hip-Hop fit it very well.
mine was detective conan. that dandanana dna dnanana. sorry for the type, but dang that soundtruck is melody.

lol.. this is off topic, but such a silly opinion

What in the world does Sony even have to do with it? They don't have a major streaming service do they?
They all have streaming services.

Sony has PS Now, Funimation Now, Crackle investment, and is buying Crunchyroll.

Im taking about the strategy. Warner puts all their top content on Hbo Max. Disney charges full price. Because they value their content higher and know people are willing to pay. Sony doesnt put their top content on PS Now, Microsoft does. Because of the same thinking. Its not like Microsoft’s content even touches Sony’s output in acclaim or sales.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I told you.
Gamepass is going to kill the physical sales on Xbox.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Again judging entire anime based few shitty shows,

This currently what I am watching:
Odd-Taxi-new-poster.jpg
Et2P8CGUcAAsJVs.jpg:large
qj1mslb4kwl61.jpg
72ad7720c89ef81065a7db82f50244b9.jpg
109126l.webp
MV5BODcwNWE3OTMtMDc3MS00NDFjLWE1OTAtNDU3NjgxODMxY2UyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BZjMwOWJmNDQtNWRkMC00ODhjLTgyMGEtYzI0MjU3ZjBlNTUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODMyNTM0MjM@._V1_.jpg
MV5BOTU5YThhOWMtMzYzMC00OGJkLWIzODYtNjBjOTQxMWIzMDhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODQwODM3MTU@._V1_.jpg
original.jpg
MV5BMmJiYmI1NGEtNmE1OC00ZDI2LWFlYWQtNDA2M2RjMzgxNzVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzgxODM4NjM@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
that is a nice list. iI best to you eternity has made you cry alot. i read the manga, and it was gut wrenching. I doubt people here will handle themselves if they made a game about it. it will make hardest men cry.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I told you.
Gamepass is going to kill the physical sales on Xbox.
Na money hats have killed the audience for this on the Xbox. Put a few a few good ones on gamepass day 1 to build up an audience as I see it. The publishers only have themselves to blame either delaying games years or not putting them on Xbox at all so of course the audience is not receptive after being treated as second class.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They all have streaming services.

Sony has PS Now, Funimation Now, Crackle investment, and is buying Crunchyroll.

Im taking about the strategy. Warner puts all their top content on Hbo Max. Disney charges full price. Because they value their content higher and know people are willing to pay. Sony doesnt put their top content on PS Now, Microsoft does. Because of the same thinking. Its not like Microsoft’s content even touches Sony’s output in acclaim or sales.

I get your analogy to GamePass; I'm just laughing at you bringing up Sony pictures selling a movie off as if it compares to Warner. They do not have any mass market streaming service (cartoons don't count), and no longer own part of Crackle.

And whether a company is fucking "themselves" with a day-one content on a low fee streaming service is really subjective.. and is rather silly to equate across industries.

It's quite possible Microsoft is fucking themselves and Warner isn't. It's also possible Disney is fucking themselves, and Sony aren't.. or any of those combinations.

2 different industries, and even comparing companies in the same industry.. different content / IPs they own. The best strategy isn't going to necessarily be the same with different content, as it's not up to you how valuable your content is.. or what they are willing to pay, or how they'd prefer to consume your content.. it's up to the public.

They are all choosing their strategy because they believe it will make them the most money... that's it.. it's all about that, it doesn't matter what you sell an individual game for vs. the price of your "monthly service." It's about how much revenue is brought in, and how much it costs you.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
I get your analogy to GamePass; I'm just laughing at you bringing up Sony pictures selling a movie off as if it compares to Warner. They do not have any mass market streaming service (cartoons don't count), and no longer own part of Crackle.

And whether a company is fucking "themselves" with a day-one content on a low fee streaming service is really subjective.. and is rather silly to equate across industries.

It's quite possible Microsoft is fucking themselves and Warner isn't. It's also possible Disney is fucking themselves, and Sony aren't.. or any of those combinations.

2 different industries, and even comparing companies in the same industry.. different content / IPs they own. The best strategy isn't going to necessarily be the same with different content, as it's not up to you how valuable your content is.. or what they are willing to pay, or how they'd prefer to consume your content.. it's up to the public.
The way i see Microsoft approach, is the way Netflix effectively killed blockbuster. Netflix at a loss position derived blockbuster to the brink of bankruptcy, and faded of from the market.

People generally want convenient. No much how many stars your restaurant has, if you don't give them what they desire, they will leave you.

Microsoft is showing their fangs with xcloud. a killer app, at its preview stage. Its available on your phone. Your tablet, Your iphone, Your ipad, your smart tv (android tv), on your browser. Once people have a taste of that, i doubt they will go back to the console. When you have strong service, which you can play it in your job, hotel (android stick tv), and crappy pc, do you think it will be a good idea to buy a 500$ console, and justify its purchase? Right now, the service main problem is the x1s blades (will get the XSX blades in 2022), and the internet. once those fixed, the service will do its job. effectively killing the consoles. That will depend if Microsoft solves the last obstacle for the service. allowing purchased game to be played on xcloud. once that happens, bye bye consoles.

I never understood the want for Xbox to get Japanese games/developers. It always seemed like a vast majority of their customer base didn't even like those types of games. Am I wrong here? Is there a big group of Xbox owners who like this "style" of game? Like anime style... like Persona? Yes, I know that anime is popular in the US and worldwide. To be American, be into anime and own only an Xbox... that's gotta be kinda rare, right?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
never understood the want for Xbox to get Japanese games/developers.
My big reason want to see Japanese games also on Xbox is for those games have sell well in west, unfortunately doesn't matter how much MS tries there is just not many audience for it among majority of Xbox players, because if someone is fan of Japanese games they would have chosen Playstation over Xbox.

My big reason want to see Japanese games also on Xbox is for those games have sell well in west, unfortunately doesn't matter how much MS tries there is just not many audience for it among majority of Xbox players, because if someone is fan of Japanese games they would have chosen Playstation over Xbox.
It's such a weird thing, honesty. I still don't understand why that is. It can't simply because Xbox is an "American" product or whatever.

killatopak

Gold Member
I never understood the want for Xbox to get Japanese games/developers. It always seemed like a vast majority of their customer base didn't even like those types of games. Am I wrong here? Is there a big group of Xbox owners who like this "style" of game? Like anime style... like Persona? Yes, I know that anime is popular in the US and worldwide. To be American, be into anime and own only an Xbox... that's gotta be kinda rare, right?
They’re not doing it for their current audience. They’re doing it to pull people outside their audience into Xbox.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's such a weird thing, honesty. I still don't understand why that is. It can't simply because Xbox is an "American" product or whatever.
One big reason is Xbox and almost has no presences in Japan, so majority of Japanese devs rather makes games for Playstation and Nintendo over Xbox. Another thing is both PlayStation and Nintendo has much bigger history with Japanese games than Xbox.

Na money hats have killed the audience for this on the Xbox. Put a few a few good ones on gamepass day 1 to build up an audience as I see it. The publishers only have themselves to blame either delaying games years or not putting them on Xbox at all so of course the audience is not receptive after being treated as second class.
Japanese games have a long history of disappointing sales on XBOX from heavily marketed Mistwalker games, popular MGS5, timed exclusive Yakuza: LAD, JRPG’s, fighting games to even FF15. A huge, widely recognized game known as RE: Village sold significantly better on PlayStation despite it’s popularity and Western appeal. That speaks volumes.

I honestly think most XBOX owners don’t really buy a lot of games in general, especially now with Gamepass. Publishers have given XBOX platforms many chances with multiplatform releases and even exclusives. The demographic for those particular types of games is just very diminutive on XBOX. We’ll see how Scarlet Nexus does on the consoles, but I have a feeling that I already know the results.

I think it’s because Japanese games and developers generally bring an entirely different style and presence to the XBOX. XBOX used to be a place for some amazing Japanese games like Ninja Gaiden Black, Otogi, Lost Odyssey, Dead Or Alive, Tales of Vesperia to name a few. Imo they make some of the most imaginative and best games in the worlds. There are probably a few XBOX fans who want that feeling back on the platform who want the best from each region.

Klayzer

They’re not doing it for their current audience. They’re doing it to pull people outside their audience into Xbox.
That's been my take on it for sometime. Can't fault Microsoft for wanting to bring in more users to a very good ecosystem.

It took Japan 20+ years to realize that there's a PC market out there so maybe they should start making games for PC. Japan is slow like that, give them time :messenger_beaming:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
that is plainly false.
Japanese games tend to do bad, because nobody is interested in them that much. and i dont blame them. Japanese market has this weird notion for their games. reusing the same assets for their npcs. While the west usally have different type for their npcs. Its hard for me to get in to Japanese games, than its to get in to western games.
The last thing is the age problem. Most of Japanese games are teenagers, which are like 15. I know that is shit way to say it, but western people are more interested in older characters. or their characters as older teens, like 20+ years.
I don't agree with you. But let's assume you're right. In that case, why do you think Western games also have a similar 75-25 sales split ratio?

Zeroing

Banned
the damage has been done, they will wait for gamepass and you can kiss your sales goodbye bamco
This!! It will make the game sell even worse on Xbox…

what a time, we went from “Nintendo and Sony fans are too poor to pay for online” to “we want to rent games”

Zeroing

Banned
It took Japan 20+ years to realize that there's a PC market out there so maybe they should start making games for PC. Japan is slow like that, give them time :messenger_beaming:
They aren’t slow! They just have a different culture that does not resonates with the rest of the world since the took over by USA and European game developers.

kinda like… Americans disliking European movies because they don’t want to read subtitles and they find the movies boring.

it’s all cultural

They are all choosing their strategy because they believe it will make them the most money... that's it.. it's all about that, it doesn't matter what you sell an individual game for vs. the price of your "monthly service." It's about how much revenue is brought in, and how much it costs you.
“Xbox accounts for 25% of sales on average. Alot of these developers make more money by Microsoft over paying for subscriber increases.”

Games sell more than double on Playstation compared to Xbox on average. Therefore it costs less for Microsoft to bring a game to gamepass. Thats the analogy of Sony selling Greyhound to Apple. Apple can buy the movie for 100 million because of the current market. Tom Hank movies make 200 million easily pre-pandemic. Basically on Xbox you take the 100 million deal, on PS Now you want double. This has nothing to do with film compared to games. Giggles.

drganon

People deserve the disappointment for falling for "insiders" . Most of em just make up shit and see what sticks. Not that it matters much either way. The game was gonna sell like shit compared to other platforms anyway.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I don't agree with you. But let's assume you're right. In that case, why do you think Western games also have a similar 75-25 sales split ratio?
Because of the popularity. People love the popular thing.

And 75/25 should tell you that not everyone is that interested in the same thing. With 115m ps4, and 50m, sales usually are 10-15m. With the new age of gaming, new games pop up. Skyrim/ the witcher 3. People who like the witcher 3 won't like the Skyrim, same for the others.

Let's go back to Japanese one. Usually Japanese sells alot, because of the ps4 having alot of people in Japanese compared to xbox. Those people are the majority of people who buy it. Since those games are targeted to them. I never knew what persona is. And still have no clue about it. While I know alot of western games. Japanese are the same. They don't know alot of western games like we do. Those games aren't targeted to them, they are targeted to us.

If a new witcher 4 or new persona is released, most western will pick witcher4, same how Japanese will pick persona. Its all about cultural thing.

I feel more comfortable with western games. Since I can understand them easily, compared to Japanese market, which uses their culture.

Easy way to look at is live service games. Xbox has the SOT. And the number of active players where 18m (pc+xbox). Halo Infinite is anticipated title. Mainly for its MP (others will play for the story). Those games demand social interaction. Playstation doesn't have that kind of games, aside of the popular games, which are very popular in that platform. The lack of Playstation output for these kinda of games, pushes people to buy social games, which drives its numbers up, and makes the 75/25. If Playstation had those games, I doubt we would have seen those 75/25 output. 50/50 to 40/60 split, since people are busy with Playstation social games, and don't bother themselves with popular games.

Playstation defeats xbox sales easily, because of its numbers. The 50m people at xbox don't have the same interests. 0.5/10 of xbox players might like Japanese games, 2/10 might like cod, 1/10 might enjoy skyrim. Those are small numbers, when you compare to Playstation. It will be double of xbox players. For every xbox players that love genre, you will find double of that in the Playstation community.

Top Bottom