• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 for $60 or Elden Ring for $35. Which should I buy?

Baldur's Gate 3 for $60 or Elden Ring for $35?

• Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 84 40.6%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 123 59.4%

• Total voters

Larxia

a game to really sink my teeth into and put 50-60+ hours into
lol, I'm 160 hours into Baldur's Gate 3 and I haven't finished it yet. I only reached the main city (Act 3) after about 115 hours.

I wouldn't recommend playing it with a gamepad though.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I've tried Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake, but I quit both of them relatively early on and thus far I haven't been able to get hooked to a Soulsbourne game. It's one of the biggest blindspots in my gaming repertoire. But of course Elden Ring is widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever made, so I feel a need to give it a real shot.
The game isn't too far off the usual souls formula, so there's still a good chance you won't like it. However there have been people who disliked previous souls games but ended up liking Elden Ring.

Baldur's Gate 3 is just kind of a mystery altogether. I do love western RPGs & the fantasy genre, and I do love a good narrative in games, but the combat kind of has me a bit puzzled as to whether the game is going to put it's hooks in me or not.
I'd say BG3 fits the bill perfectly well then. As for the combat, its good enough to hook even people who thought they disliked turn-based combat. There's still a learning curve however, but the game generally does a good job of getting you through the ropes, not to mention the abundance of material available online explaining D&D 5E rules.

However, keep in mind both games can go way over the threshold of 50-60 hours. You can easily sink 100+ into each of them, even without trying to be a completionist.

Last edited:

Larxia

If you wanted BG3, you would know it. You know what type of game it is. We can't help you with that
Eh, I disagree. I don't like games like Divinity Original Sin, but I love Baldur's Gate 3. Presentation can really go a long way for enjoyment.

Being able to play with a more standard third person, close up camera, rather than it being only a top down view already changes SO MUCH for me. I can really appreciate the world, it feels a lot more immersive, it's very different. I do use the zoomed out camera every now and then when I need it, I don't play at a fixed specific distance, but being able to explore the world with a more immersive perspective is really a game changer for me. There is also a mod allowing you to play with WASD instead of clicking, which also improves it for me.

To this, you can add the fact that all the dialogues are dubbed with cutscenes instead of large text boxes, and it's again a lot better than other games of the genre. Everything is a lot more immersive in Baldur's Gate 3 compared to most other games like this.

Baldur's Gate 3 feels like dragon age origins but boosted by X100 for me, and it's incredible. It's an rpg mixed with an immersive sim.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Get Elden Ring first, by the time you finished Elden Ring, BG3 probably will get a few bucks cheaper. If you have friends to play with, I would go for BG3 first.

DavidGzz

People really want the OP to be burned on another Souls game. Souls fans just don’t get it.

I have 4 friends/acquaintances who bounced off of all Souls/BloodBorne but loved ER. When they got stuck they went somewhere else, used the in game summons, and/or magic. It's just more accessible for the majority. Plus it's the cheaper option right now and he can refund it on Steam.

devilNprada

I like BG3 a lot, but as someone who played all the Divinity games I could easily call it *just another Divinity game.

The people calling BG3 a brand new kind of game have never played Larian's previous games.

It's like the people who never played a Souls until Elden Ring and were completely blown away. It just the one that somehow hit critical mass with the casuals.

BG3 is just an evolution of the DoS games the same way Elden Ring is an Evolution of souls. And it builds on top of a lot of D&D type turn based gaming that came before it.

If you are already bored of Souls type games and want to try a totally different genre get BG3. But understand it is not a brand new kind of game or anything. It is an evolution of a niche genre that has only recently become trendy again.

As someone who bought BG3 in early access in 2020 I am happy but completely baffled that in 2023 suddenly BG3 is the hottest new thing with the kids. But I am happy for Larian that finally people are playing their game and getting recognition for being great.
Not really... BG3 is D&D, based on D&D rules and lore. That's a big difference for some of us.
Edit: I guess if he has to ask though, he's not a big D&D fan.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
lol, I'm 160 hours into Baldur's Gate 3 and I haven't finished it yet. I only reached the main city (Act 3) after about 115 hours.

I wouldn't recommend playing it with a gamepad though.

It plays great on PlayStation, don’t know if it’s different on PC. You’re probably thinking about all the clicking but that’s not how it works on console. The game is perfectly adapted to consoles and to be honest for somebody who doesn’t like control of characters in such a detached way as point and click with a mouse, the controller might actually be a superior form of control. I’m not alone here.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say Elden Ring. I have BG3 and I find it to be insanely difficult. I mean Elden is tough at times too but I think it's more accessible.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I have 4 friends/acquaintances who bounced off of all Souls/BloodBorne but loved ER. When they got stuck they went somewhere else, used the in game summons, and/or magic. It's just more accessible for the majority. Plus it's the cheaper option right now and he can refund it on Steam.

Well but there you go, it’s still the same type of game. It’s just easier and open world. Basically if the difficulty was the barrier then ER has an answer for it. But the difficulty wasn’t the barrier for many of us, it was the fact that the game is just kill monster go here kill monster go there kill monster etc

DavidGzz

Well but there you go, it’s still the same type of game. It’s just easier and open world. Basically if the difficulty was the barrier then ER has an answer for it. But the difficulty wasn’t the barrier for many of us, it was the fact that the game is just kill monster go here kill monster go there kill monster etc

It's an action RPG..What did you want from it?

DavidGzz

Witcher 3 is an action rpg. Final Fantasy XVI is an action rpg.

Like are you really asking this?

If someone is hung up on if they should buy it or not after Souls have been around since '09, then they probably know there are not long voiced cut scenes. You're the one who is lost in here lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Witcher 3 is an action rpg. Final Fantasy XVI is an action rpg.

Like are you really asking this?
I mean in Elden Ring you do quests and talk to NPC but yes the combat is the main focus, meanwhile game like Witcher 3 the combat is actually worst part of the game.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If someone is hung up on if they should buy it or not after Souls have been around since '09, then they probably know there are not long voiced cut scenes. You're the one who is lost in here lol

So the op says he doesn’t like souls games but because everybody likes to jizz about Elden Ring is basically wondering if he should force himself to try again.

“I do love western RPGs & the fantasy genre, and I do love a good narrative in games”

In the op.

Meanwhile you think what differentiates Witcher 3/FFXVI from souls games are long cutscenes. You’re the one who’s lost.

That's exactly what I want, I much prefer these types of games over those narrative games with dozens of hours of cutscenes... In the end it's all subjective my friend :)

Yes it’s all subjective. If I play a game only for the combat I’ll play a character action game. It’s all subjective though, and we’re trying to be helpful to the OP instead of coming in here with the usual souls fans shtick.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So the op says he doesn’t like souls games but because everybody likes to jizz about Elden Ring is basically wondering if he should force himself to try again.

“I do love western RPGs & the fantasy genre, and I do love a good narrative in games”

In the op.

Meanwhile you think what differentiates Witcher 3/FFXVI from souls games are long cutscenes. You’re the one who’s lost.

He can watch Vaati while he plays. Problem solved. The opening has a nice little cut scene to get him started.

Guilty_AI

That's exactly what I want, I much prefer these types of games over those narrative games with dozens of hours of cutscenes... In the end it's all subjective my friend :)
But op says very clearly he likes narrative-driven games and didn't like previous souls games.

I think both games are great and would've recommended ER over BG3 since it was on sale, but based on what he said BG3 seems like the best option to go with.

Larxia

It plays great on PlayStation, don’t know if it’s different on PC. You’re probably thinking about all the clicking but that’s not how it works on console. The game is perfectly adapted to consoles and to be honest for somebody who doesn’t like control of characters in such a detached way as point and click with a mouse, the controller might actually be a superior form of control. I’m not alone here.
I don't like the clicking only either, I play it on mouse and keyboard but with a mod that let me move with WASD lol I can do both clicking and wasd so it's perfect for all situations.
I was more thinking about the amount of menus, the ergonomy etc... I briefly tried it on controller to see how it was adapted, and I find it very bad in comparison.

A lot of things that can be done in just a move of the mouse and a click, are now translated into having to go through different sub menus with a controller, it feels much heavier and very tedious in my opinion. Everything is much more "instant" with the keyboard and the mouse.

Last edited:

Gideon

But op says very clearly he likes narrative-driven games and didn't like previous souls games.

I think both games are great and would've recommended ER over BG3 since it was on sale, but based on what he said BG3 seems like the best option to go with.
Agreed, I'd personally recommend he buy's BG3 and test it out whether he like the turn based combat or not and refund and try out elden ring afterwards if he doesn't like the combat.

Sleepwalker

BG3 is a rip off price in Canada at $94. It can eat a dick until the price comes down. Most expensive game on the digital marketplace.

$79.99 on steam, not sure whats up with playstation. FFXVI is also $94 in the PS store but $89 (and under since its been on sale) physical.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BG3 is 2-3x the game Elden Ring is.

And is funner.

Subjective but that's how good Baldurs Gate 3 is.

But the low hanging fruit thread is cheap fodder for disagrement.

Based on what you wrote and like, I'm thinking BG3 may be more up your alley. Having played both I loved Elden Ring more though. I loved the world, art style and gameplay more. Honestly you can't go wrong playing either and should definitely play both at some point.

//DEVIL//

I don't support devs that release games with technical issues. I will never be ok with this. and it seems it's becoming more and more. so once devs get their shit together and fix bugs/frame pacing / shit performance, I give them my money

so, BG3 no questions

Last edited:
I don't support devs that release games with technical issues. I will never be ok with this. and it seems it's becoming more and more. so once devs get their shit together and fix bugs/frame pacing / shit performance, I give them my money

so, BG3 no questions
Of all the arguments you could make for bg3, that's the one you chose? The final act of bg3 is an absolute shit show for lots of people.

Based on the criteria the op has given, I'd say bg3. if you aren't a from game enjoyer, Its semi doubtul er will be your cup of tea (thoguh I would recommend trying it out some day)

Doom85

Way too many people not reading the OP’s opening post. If they have tried two Soulsborne games and couldn’t click with them, even an excellent game like ER probably won’t change their mind.

BG 3 seems like the smarter bet.

Eh, I disagree. I don't like games like Divinity Original Sin, but I love Baldur's Gate 3. Presentation can really go a long way for enjoyment.

Being able to play with a more standard third person, close up camera, rather than it being only a top down view already changes SO MUCH for me. I can really appreciate the world, it feels a lot more immersive, it's very different. I do use the zoomed out camera every now and then when I need it, I don't play at a fixed specific distance, but being able to explore the world with a more immersive perspective is really a game changer for me. There is also a mod allowing you to play with WASD instead of clicking, which also improves it for me.

To this, you can add the fact that all the dialogues are dubbed with cutscenes instead of large text boxes, and it's again a lot better than other games of the genre. Everything is a lot more immersive in Baldur's Gate 3 compared to most other games like this.

Baldur's Gate 3 feels like dragon age origins but boosted by X100 for me, and it's incredible. It's an rpg mixed with an immersive sim.

Funny when people say this, because DA: O was BG1/2 lite.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Fuck it, I bought Elden Ring.

For $34 and considering the poll results here, it can't hurt to give it a try. Hard to ignore the logic of playing through this first and buying BG3 when it's also in the $30-$40 range down the road.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

//DEVIL//

Of all the arguments you could make for bg3, that's the one you chose? The final act of bg3 is an absolute shit show for lots of people.

Based on the criteria the op has given, I'd say bg3. if you aren't a from game enjoyer, Its semi doubtul er will be your cup of tea (thoguh I would recommend trying it out some day)
There is a differene when a small part of game has a technical issue to some, and a whole game stuttering on a 4090 with frame pacing issues and with a graphics of PS3 HD game.

They play differently, saying BB>ER doesn't give to much of an insight. I finished ER two times, and I dropped BB after few hours, so it's not some universal thruth.
I just said BB>ER as my personal opinion. Of course it's not some universal truth?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

fwiw I'm playing on a high-end PC w/ a gamepad.

I'm looking for a game to really sink my teeth into and put 50-60+ hours into. I've never played either of these purported masterpieces, and frankly I'm not sure if either of them will click with me or not.

I've tried Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake, but I quit both of them relatively early on and thus far I haven't been able to get hooked to a Soulsbourne game. It's one of the biggest blindspots in my gaming repertoire. But of course Elden Ring is widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever made, so I feel a need to give it a real shot.

Baldur's Gate 3 is just kind of a mystery altogether. I do love western RPGs & the fantasy genre, and I do love a good narrative in games, but the combat kind of has me a bit puzzled as to whether the game is going to put it's hooks in me or not.

So what's the suggestion? I'm not super tight on money so the $25 difference isn't a huge deal, but it does factor at least a little bit into my decision.

From what you say, Baldur's Gate 3 seems the obvious choice. Incredible Western RPG with extremely good dialog and stories. Combat is so good ! You will not like only if you're extremely allergic to turn base.

Soulsborne didn't click with you with Bloodborne so... But actually Elden Ring is more accessible, if the fact you quite DeS and Bloodborne early is due to challenge. Still Elden Ring is inferior to other Soulsborne to me and inferior to BG3.

Famipan

I would get BG3 since you don’t like one of the best souls-games out there (Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls).

Also, I haven’t got ER yet either because I’m waiting for the GOTY-edition with all the DLC and I’m really fed up with the Dark Souls-series, and ER is just Dark Souls 4 in open world setting, and many Souls-fans seems to prefer non-open-world Souls-games over ER.
The GOTY-edition will hopefully cost the same as base game does today.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
None is an option too? Just because a thing is popular doesn't mean it's for you. So many other games out there.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Fuck it, I bought Elden Ring.

For $34 and considering the poll results here, it can't hurt to give it a try. Hard to ignore the logic of playing through this first and buying BG3 when it's also in the $30-$40 range down the road.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
An excellent decision was made. If you need hints/tips/reassurances during your playthrough, we have a big OT!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Buy Elden Ring then use the saved money to buy shrooms.

Then play Elden Ring while fucked out of your face.

You're welcome.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
elden ring. Ive literally played throughi t multiple times since its launch to today.

Bg3 is great but I haven't touched it in 2 weeks.

Top Bottom