• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 for $60 or Elden Ring for $35. Which should I buy?

Baldur's Gate 3 for $60 or Elden Ring for $35?

• Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 84 40.6%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 123 59.4%

• Total voters

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
fwiw I'm playing on a high-end PC w/ a gamepad.

I'm looking for a game to really sink my teeth into and put 50-60+ hours into. I've never played either of these purported masterpieces, and frankly I'm not sure if either of them will click with me or not.

I've tried Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake, but I quit both of them relatively early on and thus far I haven't been able to get hooked to a Soulsbourne game. It's one of the biggest blindspots in my gaming repertoire. But of course Elden Ring is widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever made, so I feel a need to give it a real shot.

Baldur's Gate 3 is just kind of a mystery altogether. I do love western RPGs & the fantasy genre, and I do love a good narrative in games, but the combat kind of has me a bit puzzled as to whether the game is going to put it's hooks in me or not.

So what's the suggestion? I'm not super tight on money so the $25 difference isn't a huge deal, but it does factor at least a little bit into my decision.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Baldurs Gate is the GOTY. It has a great story that's easy to follow. Excellent combat and character creation based of DND5E. Great soundtrack. The best companions in an RPG since Mass Effect trilogy. Multiple branching paths based on your decisions. Great visuals.

Elden Ring is open world Dark Souls.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

The only correct answer.

Joe Biden Politics GIF by The Democrats

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you’ve never been hooked on a Souls game then I very much doubt you will now. Obviously it could happen, but odds are stacked against you and you aren’t in the FOMO zone either.

My opinion is that BG3 is clearly the better game for anybody who isn’t into the Souls formula. Souls fanboys will try to sell it to you like it’s the holy grail, but unless you like wandering around and just fighting creatures with almost no rhyme or reason, I would stay clear.

Of the two BG3 is the only one that will give you flexible combat with emergent gameplay while delivering you incredible writing, a ton of great side quests, choices, a world that feels lived in with a bunch of consequences for your actions etc

Elden Ring is only combat.

Last edited:

Elbereth

I can't speak for Elden Ring (haven't played it yet), but it highly regarded.

BG3, I can speak to with the similar setup (High End PC (4090 + i9-13900KF) with a Dualsense Edge controller.

BG3 continues to floors me after 170 hours in. I have items in my inventory that I found maybe in the first 10 hours of the game, and only in the last 5 hours have I found a use for it -< which then opens up a new side quest that can have major ramifications for one of my party members (whether they live or die)... It is actually pretty nuts. There are so many things in BG3 that will make you smile if you are an RPG purists... You are almost afraid to finish it because no other RPG on the horizon will be able to match it.

Seriously, I can go on and on about the BG3... This is one of those times where they hype is very real and justified.

thuGG_pl

Both.
But also:
I've tried Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake, but I quit both of them relatively early on and thus far I haven't been able to get hooked to a Soulsbourne game. It's one of the biggest blindspots in my gaming repertoire. But of course Elden Ring is widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever made, so I feel a need to give it a real shot.
ER was my first souls game I tried, because I was scared of them. After trying it became "probably" the best game I've ever played, bringing back memories of first time exploring games and being in sheer awe all the time. It was amazing.
BG3 is also one of the best games I've ever played ;)

graywolf323

if you haven’t enjoyed Soulsborne games before I don’t see why Elden Ring would change your mind now, I’m in the same boat

honestly most people voting in the poll probably didn’t bother to read the OP

Reactions: CZY

X-Wing

Baldur's Gate 3. Higher chances that you will drop Elden Ring out of frustration than that you will drop Baldur's Gate.

ssringo

Try them on Steam and if you don’t like them after 1 hour and 45 mins refund it.

Personally I think both are must plays and game of the gen material.
This is the correct answer. You're on PC, take advantage of the refund system. Buy one, play it and if you like it keep going. If not refund and try the other.

Last edited:
Elden Ring.

After you finish it get BG3. If you are lucky it will be discounted and Directors Cut version with final build will be out by then.

It is what it is, a complex wrpg like BG3 always benefit from patches.

Mozzarella

You should be asking which should you get regardless, game being fun and more your type matters more than saving few bucks.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You with your bullshit.
BTW, I've not played it :p
I played icewind dale2 and similar games in the past to completion but I don't like that stuff anymore.

For what it's worth, 2 buddies played it. One stopped in act2 and kinda went on to play other stuff and never came back. Another finished it but the said act 3 was much worse. They both like grindy games so I was expecting both of them to finish it. There is plenty of critique on reddit too.

acidagfc

Both are totally awesome 100+ hours experiences.

Personally, I would not play BG3 with a gamepad.

For tight action and exploration, go for ER.

For an amazing branching story with memorable cast of characters - BG3.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
BTW, I've not played it :p
I played icewind dale2 and similar games in the past to completion but I don't like that stuff anymore.

For what it's worth, 2 buddies played it. One stopped in act2 and kinda went on to play other stuff and never came back. Another finished it but the said act 3 was much worse. They both like grindy games so I was expecting both of them to finish it. There is plenty of critique on reddit too.

Respectfully, I have no idea why you're trying to provide suggestions in my thread if you haven't even played both games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
elden ring bro

baldurs gate 3 is not finished according to many
and imho it's divinity original sin 3

Filben

and I do love a good narrative in games, b
Elden Ring's narrative is fragmented and told in a very obscure and non-traditional manner which is not for everyone.

Also while still having some choice and consequences moments in ER, BG3 puts it on another level and is regarded as a computer RPG while ER leans heavy on the action site of RPGs.

Also the worlds couldn't be more different. BG3 is colourful, has some circus humour in it and every companion wants to bang you after exchanging two sentences. Elden Ring is dead serious; everything is fucked up and bleak and sinister except for one or two NPCs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom