• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Extended Gameplay Breakdown with Obsidian | Official Xbox Podcast

I'll give it a shot since it's on GP, but not feeling it the more I see it.

Guns should have no place in a setting with swords, goblin enemies and magic users.

Based off the trailer years ago, I was expecting a darker and grittier game. But it's actually bright and bloomy action/RPG for the family with NPCs who talk like guys in college.

That sort of makes it more appealing to me. There isn’t a shortage of ”dark and gritty.”

They have some animation work to do, though.

Chukhopops

Guns should have no place in a setting with swords, goblin enemies and magic users.

Based off the trailer years ago, I was expecting a darker and grittier game. But it's actually bright and bloomy action/RPG for the family with NPCs who talk like guys in college.
It’s based on the PoE universe, which featured firearms and a very colorful world.

In fact it seems Avowed is taking a lot of the Caribbean / Māori inspiration of PoE 2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
… what’s ambitious about using nanite, let alone lumen?

Taxing features that not every UE5 game uses.

It's interesting to see Obsidian, who aren't exactly known for their technical prowess, push them.

Look they made Alpha Protocol which had the shittest combat but a hell of a choice driven rpg. I dont care about how mid the combat looks, give me branching narrative the likes of Witcher 2.

Did someone say Alpha Protocol?

rdPSNj0.jpg

Last edited:
We use lumen and nanite in our projects to streamline production, so I guess I don’t get what’s particularly ambitious about it. Potentially messy, sure. But ambitious?

adamsapple

We use lumen and nanite in our projects to streamline production, so I guess I don’t get what’s particularly ambitious about it. Potentially messy, sure. But ambitious?

My post didn't call it Obsidian's most technically ambitious game because they're using those features.

Their last couple of games were Grounded and Pentiment, fantastic games in their own right but not exactly known for tech.

Kacho

I understand this is more of a general complaint, and one I agree with, but both Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2 had guns so it makes sense for Avowed.
Looks pretty similar to Pillars. I'm guessing the footage here is the starter zone and the day/night cycle should play a big role in the overall vibe of an area. There will be plenty of dank ruins to explore later on.

The combat and animations just look rough, slow and not even indie standards in 2024.
I also think too many Xbox games are first person. Gears doesn't come out often enough to have consistent 3rd person games.
I like pretty much everything else. I hope the animations and combat improves.

StueyDuck

Still looks completely fine. Nothing special, nothing offensive or bad.

Doubt I'll get around to it anytime around release but if that Bethesda fantasy rpg crave ever kicks in I'm sure it's a good choice and there on gamepass for a quickee month.

Both outerworlds and starfield were poop, clearly this genre and sci-fi don't work, so I'll gladly take more skyrim-esque games

Look they made Alpha Protocol which had the shittest combat but a hell of a choice driven rpg. I dont care about how mid the combat looks, give me branching narrative the likes of Witcher 2.
It was great combat. The whole reason it didn't get a sequel is because of fps fans not releasing it was an rpg. They were too used to casual mass effect 2. Alpha protocol was using actual dice rolls for hits.
I loved it and I hate that I can't play it as its not backwards compatible on series x. , my ps3 is broken (where I have the game) and it got delisted on steam, keys are like $80 now.

Topher

Gold Member
The sword mechanics look stiff to me, but the wizard/wand stuff is pretty cool. Pretty sure that's how I'll be playing.

Mister Wolf

Hopefully they allow me to turn off the enemy attack indicators. They are immersion breaking. I turn them off when I play Batman and it makes the game infinitely better.

Vasto

Game looks great but I want to see how you manage things like the skill tree, companion system and inventory. Also show some more areas and enemy types.

Phase

In the Visions Of Mana thread someone was complaining it didn't look dark and gritty enough as well. I guess everyone wants a Zack Snyder flick.
That was me, but I just got the wrong impression from the art for the game (which was darker and more detailed) and hadn't seen gameplay of it until that thread was posted. So I was disappointed, but not saying the devs did anything wrong. I hadn't played a mana game except Trials ages ago.

Mister Wolf

Yes, 100%. I kept noticing it during the video. It makes the combat look way less fluid and old. That one change might help tremendously.

If it stays the way it looks right now then it's not good. I would hope it gets adjusted to a more eye pleasing level in the release build. I don't want it to go away completely. There needs to be some feedback to hitting the enemy otherwise it just looks stupid like Skyrim. I slash visualization they show on enemies when you land a hit is completely unnecessary and needs to go.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Yes I would imagine there are many upset loons over at Resetera in particular shrieking at the sight of a feminine woman. They would rather she be trans or more masculine so they could feel more safe in their bubbles they occupy or safe spaces haha. As I said, it’s nice to see a dev not cave to these woketards and actually create a feminine looking female character for their new game. The only way to combat the insanity is to fight it head on like this. Bravo to Obsidian and hope more western devs are brave enough to follow suite.

Meanwhile over at Resetera……..
qQWRoM4.gif
Go9R59C.gif

Umm... if anything, her being a person of colour means they're happy about the character.

Maybe you guys can hug it out and jack off to her together.

Kacho

Anyone else think we are going to see a twitter post from Obsidian with black or cream background snd a wall of text with the logo on top in August or September saying how excited they are to bring Avowed to fans but need more time for polish?
I doubt it. Obsidian runs a tight ship.

RickMasters

I like. Digging the art style and use of colour. It’s obsidian so I’m expecting good story and character development.

Mechanically I’m sure it will play fine. Looking forward to it.

adamsapple

Should they remove the hit-stop from melee attacks?

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it, I mentioned this in the other thread (or was it the Direct thread ?) as well that it seemed egregious. They should tone it down before the game releases.

Mister Wolf

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it, I mentioned this in the other thread (or was it the Direct thread ?) as well that it seemed egregious. They should tone it down before the game releases.

I remember discussing it with someone in the Dragon's Dogma thread. I look at hit-stop like seasoning in food. It's necessary but easy to overdo it.

amigastar

I'm wondering how the itemization will be. Will it be interesting and satisfying?
But watching the video they say it will have a skill tree. That's nice. Also you can respec if you want.

Last edited:

Raven117

I thought we were getting something grittier too.

Meh. Too many great games out and coming out to mess around with what looks like average.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's a smaller AA RPG that tries to create more approachable combat. Doesn't look like a bar raiser in any way, shape, or form.
Avowed was never billed as a AA RPG. It was always billed as a AAA RPG.

Et8mGYI.jpg
pJbexD1.jpg
iClfofz.jpg
HaLgB48.jpg
jo5KMgT.jpg
6M2rz6P.jpg

Now that the gameplay footage is out for all of us to see, I believe a lot of folks and "journalists" will gradually shift the narrative that Avowed was always going to be a smaller-scale AA project.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope this turns out good. Plenty of time to tweak systems. I don't like the stun lock time.

Love tge colour choice and quite a lot here. Hope the rest comes together.

I actually enjoyed outer worlds, but I like those types of games.

Top Bottom