• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATLUS appreciative of how much support PC gamers have given Persona 4 Golden

"Character Designer Shigenori Soejima created this original sketch to celebrate. We hope you're enjoying #P4G and welcome back to the Midnight Channel!"

EcminbHUMAEM0Gp

A couple of weeks ago, the game was breaking Steam records, and now Persona 4 Golden is officially considered a success by Atlus, with it having over 500,000 sales in less than a month. The release of Persona 4 Golden on Steam was also met with almost universal praise from the people who purchased it and is currently sitting on an 96% (Overwhelmingly Positive) reception. It's an excellent port that i basically bought as soon as i saw it available on Steam, and it is a tremendously good game that has been given a new breath of life on a platform that is more than welcoming to it.

O heavens no, that sounds bad. Thanks for the input.

Generally speaking, the gameplay in these games is multilayered because it's split between simulation aspects, relationship building, dialogue engagement and combat/dungeon exploration. You're going to spend a whole lot of time outside dungeon exploring - which i think is fun either way, a good improvement over Persona 3. Golden is a polished up version of the original PS2 release with a lot extra content and accessibility improvements. It's incredibly easy to jump in, especially now that it's on PC, and is considered by many as the best as far as narrative/characters go. Highly recommended you give it a go if you liked Persona 5 Royal Edition.

I also highly recommend Persona 3: FES on Playstation 2. That's the one i played to completion a while back and it's my 2nd favorite. The gameplay (in combat/dungeon exploring) can get frustrating at times because you have no definitive control over your party members, but it's worth it and it is manageable with a little patience. I'm thinking about replaying it after i'm done with Persona 4 Golden.

The Persona 2 duology have an exceptionally well constructed narrative and my favorite cast of characters. I think this is ATLUS at their very peak as far as writing quality goes, and i think it's a ridiculously huge leap over the first Persona (which i don't think it's that good). Not that easy to get into if you can't stomach traditional random encounters. I haven't touched this in about 10 years.

over 500,000 sales

If it was sales Atlus wouldn't say players.

Anyway, great results.

Depends, they're appreciative of the individuals who purchased the game and they're showing that through the artwork the artist has given us. By adressing the people who purchased the game through that artwork, i will assume that is the reason why they're not specifically saying "sales" and saying "players".

mejin

Depends, they're appreciative of the individuals who purchased the game and they're showing that through the artwork the artist has given us. By adressing the people who purchased the game through that artwork, i will assume that is the reason why they're not specifically saying "sales" and saying "players".

they did it with persona 5 when achieving some numbers. The last one was 3.2M units in sales.

Persona-5-3-2-Million-Sales.jpg

Persona 5R was my first game in the series. I loved it. Is Persona 4 regarded as a better game?
The dungeons are less interesting design wise, but everything else is slightly, to a lot, better.

If you were in it for the dungeon crawling, it'll be a slog, but if you liked P5 for the story, characters, atmosphere and interpersonal relationships, whack it on easy and enjoy one of the best games ever made.

Also Naoto is best girl.

b1qPQc7.png

over 500,000 sales

If it was sales Atlus wouldn't say players.

Anyway, great results.
Are you implying that they're counting pirated copies? It was cracked a week ago, they had three weeks of strong sales as can be inferred from the steam stats. It beat Final Fantasy XV with highest concurrent players for a jRPG at launch (P4G had 30k, FFXV had 29k). Steam Spy has a 200-500k estimation since June 19th. So it should be 500k sales, it wouldn't make sense to make such an announcement if it weren't so.

lachesis

Currently replaying P4G golden. About 3/4th way done - things are heating up story wise, but the eventual fatigue of commu build up and daily grind is settling in like P5 did. I begin to lose a bit of focus around this period in a lot of games though.

Having said so, I think this game has better story than P5 - in terms of progression mostly, and enjoying it quite a bit. It's quite strange that my woke self is seeing some things that may bother some people, than P5 - especially regarding Kanji and Naoto - back than it was simple moments of uncomfortable-ness, but now I see it more.

Since I don't have a Vita TV (just 1st gen Vita) - it's really a treat to play this on big screen using streaming function at higher resolution - but the timing of bug catching is very difficult because of the input delays lol. I got 100% perfect timing on my main PC, but not when I'm streaming. Being able to play in my native language is also a treat too.

I've been meaning to play P3FE for a long time - but never got around to past a first month or so. Perhaps I will finally jump in after I'm done with P4G. P5R could wait a bit longer, because I only platinumed P5 about a year ago.... so the memory is still a bit too fresh.

teezzy

Banned
It never ceases to blow my mind how publishers/developers are always stunned to see how well their games perform on PC.

Like, if anything, PC gamers are the most dedicated market these chuckleheads have available to them. Nobody else is as willing to drop so much cash on hardware in order to control every aspect of their experience. Of course they want to play your games!

Now give us Persona 3 next you cowards so I can shoot myself in the head!!

Collin

Banned
Persona 5R was my first game in the series. I loved it. Is Persona 4 regarded as a better game?

i much prefer 4 actually. better town / characters / story / atmosphere in my mind. the only thing 5 has over 4 is better dungeons and some nicer quality of life improvements with graphics, combat and world size.

the games play very similarly. i’m confident if you loved 5, you’ll love 4.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
They'd probably have gotten more sales by releasing earlier, PC is quite a big market and these types of games perform very well on that platform.

Those are some good numbers. I'm probably stupid, but does 500k players also mean 500k in sales? Persona 4 Golden is my favorite Persona game so far. Persona 4 Golden is good but I will put Persona 5 Royal above it.

All sorts of opinions to be found obviously but imo P4 is a better game and so is P3.

My main complaint with P5 (which I like) is that the localization of the story seems to fall apart in the 2nd half of the game, which really hurt my enjoyment of the characters. I love the characters in the previous 2 games a great deal but I felt like there was a lot of babbling and nonsense coming out of the cast of P5 as the story dragged on which made them feel less like they were people and soured me somewhat on the experience. The changes to the combat in P5R were also something of a mixed bag for me, a lot of it is good but I felt you are just too overpowered with all the crazy advantages you get and that hurt my enjoyment as well.

P3 and P4 have sometimes ridiculous but ultimately fun stories with strong characters who are well written for the whole adventure, but you will find the combat to be closer to a traditional turn based jrpg. P4 is my personal favourite.

Shouta

It's mostly up to personal preference and what resonates with you. For me, P4 was the weakest entry of the 3 Persona in this formula. You can see a few folks that enjoyed it way more though so that should be a good indication they're all really fucking good and you can't go wrong really, lol

Esca

P4G had me glued to my vita. Great game, I'll pick it up again on the pc in the future. After finishing P5R I can take a little break

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Really hoping they port the Persona series to all the things. Arbitrarily locking it to one platform always seemed overly conservative to me.

Bkdk

Glad they at least released it on PC. However i only bought it due to trainer being released. I simply don’t have the patience to replay everything at original pace. I really hope the future releases will include more robust mod support, that’s the major reason I want games to have a PC version even it’s been on console for years.

drganon

There isn't really a definitive answer to that. I'd say its split between people who think 5 is better and those who prefer 4. 5 is my personal favorite, but 4 is still really good. 3 is the hardest one to go back to. A definitive version of 3 would be cool, but I'd prefer they just work on a persona 6 instead.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I bought it but still to play it. Well, I only played about an hour. I just finished P5R and not quite ready to sink goodness know how long into another Persona game.

I enjoyed P5R but need a break lol. Hopefully this convinces them to bring more games over. Won't lie I'll be a little pissed if they release Persona 3 FES on Steam since I recently paid £70 for a Ps2 copy lol.

Hestar69

i much prefer 4 actually. better town / characters / story / atmosphere in my mind. the only thing 5 has over 4 is better dungeons and some nicer quality of life improvements with graphics, combat and world size.

the games play very similarly. i’m confident if you loved 5, you’ll love 4.
This is good to hear! I'm playing Royal aswell (5th palace) and enjoying it. After I beat this I might pick up 4 on steam. 20.00 seems like a steal if it's anywhere (or better) than 5

I know it's almost certainly not worth the time and money needed to port it over, but Im really hoping we get the Persona 2 Duology rereleased on literally anything. Right now if you want to play them in the west, the games are split across 2 different consoles. Innocent Sin never got a western PS1 release because Hitler, and Eternal Punishment never got a western PSP release because Innocent Sin didn't sell well enough in Japan for Atlus to justify localization.

Top Bottom