• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
Puddles said:
Isn't the government supposed to prevent things like this from happening?

We need a new Teddy Roosevelt ASAP.

LMAO. AT&T just came out with the 150 GB cap and the tethering charges in the last week. They're about as anti-consumer as any corporation could ever be.

Umm... don't use them as a home ISP then? Then again, beyond Comcast, AT&T and Verizon/Frontier, do you have any other options? (I seriously wouldn't use them as a DSL/FiOS service....)

NomarTyme said:
You must work for them.
I don't, but any globe trotting person like myself will tell you GSM > CDMA any day of the week.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Pctx--

dunno where you live, but in Chicago, T-mobile is solid and AT&T is not.

Further, when I had AT&T prior, I used to get all sorts of weird unexepected things in my bills that would piss me off. never with T-mobile.
Been to Chicago several times and never had an issue there with my AT&T phone. Also, in terms of billing for me... it was the exact opposite.

Pctx said:
It's about damn time AT&T did this!!

Having had T-mobile and Voicestream (yeah, it was a long ass time ago) for almost 7 out of the 8 1/2 years of cell service, I have to say, this makes me a happy person.

Couple of reasons:
1) GSM and LTE are the future. A phone that can hop on any GSM band worldwide & w/ AT&T and their LTE band is solid in my book and as far as I'm concerned, Verizon and Sprint can go get married and merge but I will always want a GSM based phone.
2) AT&T now has a chance to beat Verizon to the LTE punch and call their 4G service actual 4G. Verizon having announced LTE back in what... May of 2010, rollout teasers for November '10 and an actual 2011 launch is pretty sketch. I don't care if you call it America's fastest 4G network--- when 10 people can get it, there's not much to brag about it. With that, Verizon isn't getting LTE into my market fast enough for me to care and/or jump ship.
3) T-mobile people complaining about AT&T. Really? Have you any reason to do this? Sure... one could bitch and complain but having had T-mobile's service for 7+ years, AT&T's network is night and day difference in coverage and speed. If anything, people should be thankful this happened.
4) AT&T has a chance to take T-mobile's approach to customer service and make their service about the customer... instead of the marketing slogans, speed or even the phones. If there's one thing that caries over, I hope its this line of thinking.

Anyways, glad this is happening and I'm happy that it's AT&T and not Sprint or Verizon.

I agree that GSM + LTE is a better combo than CDMA + LTE. From a technical viewpoint, this is a good thing but this is AT&T we're talking about. When given the opportunity, I fully believe that AT&T will do whatever it can do to fuck over the consumer. You're pretty naive to think that AT&T will take T-Mobile's approach in anything.

KingJ2002

As far a net neutrality goes... this deal will most likely ensure net neutrality as now AT&T has a larger network and more clout because of it.

Google will have to toot it for AT&T to get a slice of at 132 Million user pie.

...hopefully AT&T thinks that net neutrality is a must... no toll roads for users.

I honestly think that once LTE comes into the fold... companies should go back to an unlimited model... but throttle the speeds. like what's done for home users. that way people have certain expectations for their devices... plus with a push toward tablets... maybe there will be less of a need to tether in the future... maybe.

Pctx

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I agree that GSM + LTE is a better combo than CDMA + LTE. From a technical viewpoint, this is a good thing but this is AT&T we're talking about. When given the opportunity, I fully believe that AT&T will do whatever it can do to fuck over the consumer. You're pretty naive to think that AT&T will take T-Mobile's approach in anything.
If this merger is beyond $'s and cents, it will also need to have some of the shift in policy that I think AT&T is ready to take on in order to shut Verizon up about their network. Sure, I'm being optimistic but just because history has proven AT&T otherwise, I'd like to think they might learn something from this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pctx said:
4) AT&T has a chance to take T-mobile's approach to customer service and make their service about the customer... instead of the marketing slogans, speed or even the phones. If there's one thing that caries over, I hope its this line of thinking.

Has, but won't. No matter how good a service you have had with them, AT&T is shit.

Pctx said:
If this merger is beyond $'s and cents, it will also need to have some of the shift in policy that I think AT&T is ready to take on in order to shut Verizon up about their network. Sure, I'm being optimistic but just because history has proven AT&T otherwise, I'd like to think they might learn something from this.

I'm pretty sure this is purely about spectrum and towers. T-Mobile's contracts is just a cherry on top.

Broseybrose

Ive been a T-Mobile customer FOREVER and i just fucking renewed last week!!!

That might end up being a good thing though, now that i think about it. Because when the change finally comes, i may have some rights as an original T-Mobile customer. Get a good deal or something.

Trying very hard to see the bright side here. I still love my less-than-a-week-old 4G Galaxy S...

Frankly i think im in shock :/

C4Lukins

When it comes down to pricing I can see where people are concerned. As far as concerns with actual quality, this has the potential to make the quality of service for one company much better if it is allowed to happen.

The time, money, and infrastructure it takes to build a mobile service is insane, and it is not a startup sort of business. I like it. AT&T gets better, they push their competition, and they do not have a true monopoly while doing so.

And just like the video game business, I think having three strong platforms is more beneficial then having a dozen. We always need competition, but it is better for the industry as a whole to combine the best ideas into a few large companies, because they have the strength to integrate those ideas into their own systems and let them reach more people.

tnsply100

Banned
Sigh... I get 600 minutes (free night/weekends) for 40 bucks, and tmobileweb (internet with no limit that I've seen) for 6 bucks. Along with a corporate 15 percent discount, my usage bill is like 48 bucks monthly (including all taxes and fees).

I bet these att fuckwads aren't going to let me keep this.

I just pray that they keep the absolutely phenomenal customer service reps tmobile has...
sigh.

Wads

Banned
tnsply100 said:
Sigh... I get 600 minutes (free night/weekends) for 40 bucks, and tmobileweb (internet with no limit that I've seen) for 6 bucks. Along with a corporate 15 percent discount, my usage bill is like 48 bucks monthly (including all taxes and fees).

I bet these att fuckwads aren't going to let me keep this.

I just pray that they keep the absolutely phenomenal customer service reps tmobile has...
sigh.

I was with ATT for a long time even before they were ATT (started in 02 or 03). I was able to keep my 29.99 1000 minutes per month with Rollover all the way up until I canceled. They do grandfather people in and you only have to change if you sign a new contract. Just my experience, others could contradict me, but overall even though I hate their new data restrictions... my experience with ATT was pretty good.

I know I'm being hopeful but I really do hope they lower some of the price plans.

One thing that disturbed me about the alltel merger with Verizon was the fact that Verizon's plans didn't change at all. Alltel customers had it pretty good when it came to price plans... but Verizon eventualy forced them to go onto their price plans which were more expensive.

Knowing AT&T (and working for them part-time) they won't budge too much on the plans. But I hope they do. T-Mobile customers don't pay as much as AT&T customers. But you do get what you pay for... T-mobile is shit where I'm at.

Wads said:
I was with ATT for a long time even before they were ATT (started in 02 or 03). I was able to keep my 29.99 1000 minutes per month with Rollover all the way up until I canceled. They do grandfather people in and you only have to change if you sign a new contract. Just my experience, others could contradict me, but overall even though I hate their new data restrictions... my experience with ATT was pretty good.
Yeah. They will grandfather anybody who wishes to keep their T-Mobile plan.

Gaf loves to freak out.

demigod

lol, 2 shitty companies merging, jesus i couldn't stand talking to the stupid reps from t-mobile the other day trying to bullshit with me. Will convince my parents to switch to Verizon since they don't feel like being cheated $20 by t-mobile when they've been paying $150 per month.

remnant

Banned
Am i the only one who thinks it's funny that people are arguing 3 providers will kill competition and innovation on a videogame forum with a large base of users who regularly see competition and innovation from the big 3 game companies.

Jeff-DSA

I have T-Mobile and I'm very upset about this. I've loved T-Mobile's customer service and it's actually MUCH better than AT&T for data here. I know that my data coverage won't change, but I'm worried about the customer service and possibly the pricing.

remnant said:
Am i the only one who thinks it's funny that people are arguing 3 providers will kill competition and innovation on a videogame forum with a large base of users who regularly see competition and innovation from the big 3 game companies.
I think its pretty funny that you're comparing a hobby to a utility.

mj1108

BlackGoku03 said:
I know I'm being hopeful but I really do hope they lower some of the price plans.

One thing that disturbed me about the alltel merger with Verizon was the fact that Verizon's plans didn't change at all. Alltel customers had it pretty good when it came to price plans... but Verizon eventualy forced them to go onto their price plans which were more expensive.

Knowing AT&T (and working for them part-time) they won't budge too much on the plans. But I hope they do. T-Mobile customers don't pay as much as AT&T customers. But you do get what you pay for... T-mobile is shit where I'm at.

Yeah. They will grandfather anybody who wishes to keep their T-Mobile plan.

Gaf loves to freak out.

You're delusional if you think AT&T will lower some price plans. What it seems like they'll do is let T-Mobile customers keep their grandfathered in price plans -- until they try to upgrade. That's when they'll get them saying that they have to change plans (to the more expensive AT&T plans) in order to upgrade. Apparently that's what happened to some with Cingular after AT&T bought them.

All that I know is that I'm jumping ship... T-Mobile has been wonderful but I refuse to deal with AT&T. Trying to decide between Verizon and Sprint... leaning towards Sprint as they have 4G here and I may be eligible for a nice employer discount through work.

numble

remnant said:
because the difference dictates how committed people are to improving their product.
Yes. People quit hobbies or find different ones. Gaming competes with TV watching and hiking, for instance. They know they need to keep your eyeballs by releasing constant cycles of products. When you're stuck on a 2-year contract, the 2-3 companies can all take advantage of you by using the same higher priced plans, and there's no real fear of losing you if they all pricematchpricefix.

remnant said:

Why do we keep saying three, its more than that. Isnt this scenario the same as if T-Mobile was just bleeding money and consistently losing subscribers.

Pctx said:
Been to Chicago several times and never had an issue there with my AT&T phone. Also, in terms of billing for me... it was the exact opposite.

Your visit really doesn't do much to offset my experience as a resident. T-Mobile > AT&T in metro Chicago (and presumably suburban Chicago).

As a business traveller I can certainly see why you could prefer AT&T, but I travel only a little and everywhere I go, T-Mobile has been fine.

Davidion

Ignatz Mouse said:
Your visit really doesn't do much to offset my experience as a resident. T-Mobile > AT&T in metro Chicago (and presumably suburban Chicago).

As a business traveller I can certainly see why you could prefer AT&T, but I travel only a little and everywhere I go, T-Mobile has been fine.

Yeah I'm sorry, but AT&T service is a running gag here in NYC. TMo is no Verizon here when it comes to service availability, but its network has always been entirely decent, even improving over the years, along with a low price and solid customer service. I don't doubt that TMo users around the country where they have poor coverage may be more interested in the change. From a business perspective, it's a win for AT&T, but that means little from the user POV.

From the perspective of this metro TMo subscriber, AT&T has no phones that I want, negligible service improvements that I'd be looking forward to, and all that would be in the pipelines are potential price hikes and customer services changes for the worse. I've given serious thought to jumping over to other networks in the past, not once did it involve AT&T.

The best hope is that AT&T would leave the TMo subs alone, but that's wishful thinking.

Pctx said:
Umm... don't use them as a home ISP then? Then again, beyond Comcast, AT&T and Verizon/Frontier, do you have any other options? (I seriously wouldn't use them as a DSL/FiOS service....)

I am on Time Warner Cable, as of now uncapped, and last month everybody got a free speed upgrade in Charlotte area!!

Pctx

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:

Dog-eat-dog world I suppose.

With as much traveling as I do in Europe and the Middle East, not having a GSM based phone would be stupid and a pain in my own ass. Also--- my experience with T-mobile here in Oregon was no reception at my beach house on the Oregon coast to----> AT&T... 3G reception in my beach house.... on the Oregon coast. Of course people's experiences are different but I felt like I gained a whole new stomping ground when I switched from Tmo to AT&T.

jmdajr

link
. . . While it's true that T-Mobile and AT&T each use GSM technology, the carriers also use different bands of spectrum to deliver their services. Specifically, T-Mobile uses the spectrum it bought in the AWS spectrum auction in 2006 to build its 3G wireless network.

AT&T also acquired spectrum in that auction. And it is using this AWS spectrum to build its LTE network. AT&T uses its 850MHz and 1900MHz spectrum to deliver its 3G service. Part of the reason that AT&T wanted T-Mobile in the first place was to get more of the AWS spectrum for its LTE network.

Meanwhile, T-Mobile has no additional spectrum to deploy LTE, since it's been using the AWS spectrum for its 3G service. What this means is that once AT&T and T-Mobile merge, AT&T will have to move all of T-Mobile's existing 3G customers (which includes the supposed 4G HSPA+ customers) to AT&T's 850MHz and 1900MHz spectrum. This means T-Mobile customers will need new handsets, since the existing T-Mobile 3G HSPA and 4G HSPA+ handsets will no longer work on the AWS spectrum.
man..

This means T-Mobile customers will need new handsets, since the existing T-Mobile 3G HSPA and 4G HSPA+ handsets will no longer work on the AWS spectrum.

*hugs his G1 and G2 to him*
"Don't worry babies... *sniff* There's always Wi-Fi..."

gcubed

mj1108 said:
You're delusional if you think AT&T will lower some price plans. What it seems like they'll do is let T-Mobile customers keep their grandfathered in price plans -- until they try to upgrade. That's when they'll get them saying that they have to change plans (to the more expensive AT&T plans) in order to upgrade. Apparently that's what happened to some with Cingular after AT&T bought them.

All that I know is that I'm jumping ship... T-Mobile has been wonderful but I refuse to deal with AT&T. Trying to decide between Verizon and Sprint... leaning towards Sprint as they have 4G here and I may be eligible for a nice employer discount through work.

thats what happened with me when ATT bought Cingular, i was fine with my old cingular plan until i wanted a new phone

ScOULaris

Capitalism, ho!

But seriously... this is some of the worst news ever. It reminds me of the Gamestop acquisitions that led to the shitty monopoly that we now have in game retail.

I agree that some government regulation is definitely in order. I'm doubtful that anything will be done to stop this, however.

mj1108 said:
That's when they'll get them saying that they have to change plans (to the more expensive AT&T plans) in order to upgrade. Apparently that's what happened to some with Cingular after AT&T bought them.

I was one of those happy Cingular customers that got screwed over. One day after they became AT&T I got a bill substantially higher than I normally got. I called customer service to find out why, and they advised me that my plan had changed and my rollover minutes were no more. When I informed them that nobody told me of any changes, and that I had a nice bucket of rollovers before they snatched them away, I was told:

"Well, do you have any proof?"

Needless to say I canceled my contract and went prepaid for awhile before landing on T-Mobile for the Sidekick 3.

Shit, it's happening all over again. :(

giga

Meanwhile, T-Mobile has no additional spectrum to deploy LTE, since it's been using the AWS spectrum for its 3G service. What this means is that once AT&T and T-Mobile merge, AT&T will have to move all of T-Mobile's existing 3G customers (which includes the supposed 4G HSPA+ customers) to AT&T's 850MHz and 1900MHz spectrum. This means T-Mobile customers will need new handsets, since the existing T-Mobile 3G HSPA and 4G HSPA+ handsets will no longer work on the AWS spectrum.
Wait, so pretty much all of the current T-Mobile 3G/4G devices will be stuck on EDGE in a year? Lol?

As someone who had T-Mobile for years and moved on to AT&T for the last year and half, I say screw T-Mobile. They charged my wife and I $3500 for 3 days in Vancouver, BC for data usage even though we had turned off such usage. When I spoke to a supervisor and asked for a one time credit she said that T-Mobile unlike AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint don't offer such actions since they charge less overall and offered a $50 credit. Through working with my attorney I was able to get them to lower the $3500 to a total of $1200 and I still refused to pay. It has hit my wife's and I credit although we have a note on our report for vendors to see and it hasn't affected us so far. Also our story was picked up by the Today Show which will be airing it this week. So yea, SCREW T-Mobile.

gcubed

ScOULaris said:
Capitalism, ho!

But seriously... this is some of the worst news ever. It reminds me of the Gamestop acquisitions that led to the shitty monopoly that we now have in game retail.

I agree that some government regulation is definitely in order. I'm doubtful that anything will be done to stop this, however.

lets see how much they care about wireless space. It'll be approved undoubtedly, but lets see if they make as much a spectacle out of this as they did with Comcast/NBCU.

Patriots7

mj1108 said:

*Cingular bought AT&T.

Oh well, as an AT&T user, I'm not affected negatively. Hopefully we'll get better service.

SimleuqiR

giga said:
Wait, so pretty much all of the current T-Mobile 3G/4G devices will be stuck on EDGE in a year? Lol?

Just read this.

>_<
>_<

Sprint is my only hope. I will ride them until they also disappear.

Tobor

SimleuqiR said:
Just read this.

>_<
>_<

Sprint is my only hope. I will ride them until they also disappear.

Cheer up, they just announced the Nexus S on Sprint this morning. That should cover you until Verizon swings the scythe, right?

Raistlin

I have to wonder what impact this will have on T-Mobile's non-contract plans? Their very existence seemed predicated on ties to the company's Euro parents, given no other US carrier offers discount rates for people that BYOP (bring your own phone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom