• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Tobor said:
Cheer up, they just announced the Nexus S on Sprint this morning. That should cover you until Verizon swings the scythe, right?

Yup. Most likely.
In light of this news I hope the next Nexus phone is release on Sprint first.

kehs

Banned
giga said:
Wait, so pretty much all of the current T-Mobile 3G/4G devices will be stuck on EDGE in a year? Lol?

Nobody knows, but that would be stupid fucking move on the ATT's part(it wouldn't surprise me).

If it did happen, at the earliest it would happen is two years after buyout finalizes(contracts and all that jazz). Unless ATT wants to buy eat the cost of replacing millions of handsets.

Not using T-Mobiles spectrum to further their 3G coverage would make this one of the stupidest buys any company has ever made in the history of buying useful shit and not using it(again, it wouldn't surprise me since it is ATT afterall).

edit: just realized that is their strategy. Wow att, just wow.

Tobor

SimleuqiR said:
Yup. Most likely.
In light of this news I hope the next Nexus phone is release on Sprint first.

Well, Google's in a tough spot. If AT&T refuses stock Android, then they have no where else to sell a GSM phone in America, so it would basically be international only. So a future Sprint Nexus model could be "first" by default, even though it may be months behind the rest of the world.

kehs

Banned
Tobor said:
Well, Google's in a tough spot. If AT&T refuses stock Android, then they have no where else to sell a GSM phone in America, so it would basically be international only. So a future Sprint Nexus model could be first by default.

Att won't be blacklisting off contract phones.

Tobor

Copernicus said:
Att won't be blacklisting off contract phones.

Who would sell these no contract phones? Google failed when they tried, and HTC and Samsung aren't going to stand up to the carriers. Or do you mean imported international phones?

kehs

Banned
Tobor said:
Who would sell these no contract phones? Google failed when they tried, and HTC and Samsung aren't going to stand up to the carriers. Or do you mean imported international phones?

The Nexus S at Best Buy isn't being sold in conjuction with T-Mobile.

numble

Copernicus said:
Nobody knows, but that would be stupid fucking move on the ATT's part(it wouldn't surprise me).

If it did happen, at the earliest it would happen is two years after buyout finalizes(contracts and all that jazz). Unless ATT wants to buy eat the cost of replacing millions of handsets.

Not using T-Mobiles spectrum to further their 3G coverage would make this one of the stupidest buys any company has ever made in the history of buying useful shit and not using it(again, it wouldn't surprise me since it is ATT afterall).

edit: just realized that is their strategy. Wow att, just wow.
They can further their 3G coverage by putting ATT antennas on TMobile towers, they will also improve voice coverage without adding anything. They want to use TMobile's spectrum for LTE, because they don't have enough spectrum for LTE.

Pctx

Banned
Tobor said:
Well, Google's in a tough spot. If AT&T refuses stock Android, then they have no where else to sell a GSM phone in America, so it would basically be international only. So a future Sprint Nexus model could be "first" by default, even though it may be months behind the rest of the world.
I guess we can't say that since the Nexus S hasn't hit AT&T yet but I have no reason to think that they won't have a stock android phone on their network.

numble

Copernicus said:
The phone is carrier unlocked. Best Buy bundles the phone an a service plan from T-Mobile, but T-Mobile isn't sudsizing it directly.
If it's bought on contract, it is subsidized.

kehs

Banned
numble said:
If it's bought on contract, it is subsidized.

Third party retailers for att/tmobile can sell you phones on contract that are not att/tmobile sanctioned, and have it subsidized indirectly by att/tmobile.

Basically the retailer foots the bill on the phone purchase, and after the customer stays on the contract for carrier, the carrier sends them the retailer the difference they initially subsidized.

That's different than having ATT sell you a phone they had made specially for them.

Which all goes back to the point that all Google has to do is a release a phone that is compatible with the 3G bands of ATT. The next step for ATT is to blacklist all the IMEI numbers from a production line. (I don't think that's ever happened for a well known brand).

(this is all gsm type phones, this can't happen on sprint/verizon/cmda because they have to activate every single device that uses their network, the reason that the initial Nexus Ones never came to market for those two carriers)

numble

Copernicus said:
Third party retailers for att/tmobile can sell you phones on contract that are not att/tmobile sanctioned, and have it subsidized indirectly by att/tmobile.

Basically the retailer foots the bill on the phone purchase, and after the customer stays on the contract for carrier, the carrier sends them the retailer the difference they initially subsidized.

That's different than having ATT sell you a phone they had made specially for them.

Which all goes back to the point that all Google has to do is a release a phone that is compatible with the 3G bands of ATT. The next step for ATT is to blacklist all the IMEI numbers from a production line. (I don't think that's ever happened for a well known brand).

(this is all gsm type phones, this can't happen on sprint/verizon/cmda because they have to activate every single device that uses their network, the reason that the initial Nexus Ones never came to market for those two carriers)
If you buy it with a T-Mobile contract at Best Buy, it is carrier locked.
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Google-Nexus/BestBuy-com-FAQ-s-regarding-Nexus-S/td-p/599183

Shed_a_Ninja said:
That's actually bullshit. I am currently using an AT&T and Cingular phone on T-Mobile and somebody I know is using a T-Mobile MyTouch 4G on AT&T.
Are they getting 3G/4G data services? It is well known that T-Mobile phones will work on AT&T and vice versa with respect to voice and EDGE data.

GoldenEye 007 said:
Are they getting 3G/4G data services? It is well known that T-Mobile phones will work on AT&T and vice versa with respect to voice and EDGE data.

No clue about that, but the article indicated that the phones won't work in the future which is bullshit because they currently work now.

ndiicm

gimmmick said:
39 Billion dollars for t mobile... and I thought sprint got ripped off when they purchased nextel.

Investing in backhaul and towers to improve network: BAD
Spending billions to create a monopoly and rape consumers: GOOD

No high-speed rail. Shitty education system. Shity health care. Third rate Broadband. The list goes on and on.

Welcome to Corporate America. Profits and Greed is the order of the day.

SimleuqiR

Shed_a_Ninja said:
No clue about that, but the article indicated that the phones won't work in the future which is bullshit because they currently work now.

3G won't work. Voice, text and to a degree internet on EDGE will work. But what's the point of having a 3G phone on a network that can't get you the speeds?

Shed_a_Ninja said:
They won't work as intended because you're stuck on shitty EDGE service. Not what I got my device and data plan for.

kehs

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:

Their plan is to use the current spectrum for a different purpose.

Basically changing the locks on a door. =/

Tobor

Copernicus said:
It's not locked. Scroll down that thread, or check the XDA section for Nexus S.
I'm not sure whether or not it's locked changes my point. A T-Mobile contract is available. Selling a phone with no possibility of a contract is a whole different ballgame, and it's not certain anyone involved would risk carrier relationships to try it.

numble

Copernicus said:
It's not locked. Scroll down that thread, or check the XDA section for Nexus S.
I still believe there must be carrier sanctioning. Otherwise there's nothing stopping a retailer from importing unlocked iPhones from Canada and offering this type of secondhand TMobile subsidy that you claim.

kehs

Banned
numble said:
I still believe there must be carrier sanctioning. Otherwise there's nothing stopping a retailer from importing unlocked iPhones from Canada and offering this type of secondhand TMobile subsidy that you claim.

Profit margin? Where would these companies get iPhones from? Apple isn't goint to sell it to them in large volumes for a discount.

GSM phones don't need to be approved to work, they just need to have the right radio hardware (that is common around the globe). It's why that travel internationall love GSM phones.

My iPhone uses EDGE on T-Mobile, and I am able to pick up WiFi signals. I also have the cheapest plan to ever be conceived- $100/year.

I don't think I'll ever be worried about losing 3G functionality with a smartphone. Those who do better have those plans paid for by a company they work for, otherwise you are just a sucker that complains about the overcharges, surcharges, and the "I got charged $3,500 for using data in Canada" charges. You only have yourselves to blame.

SimleuqiR

Shed_a_Ninja said:
My iPhone uses EDGE on T-Mobile, and I am able to pick up WiFi signals. I also have the cheapest plan to ever be conceived- $100/year.

I don't think I'll ever be worried about losing 3G functionality with a smartphone. Those who do better have those plans paid for by a company they work for, otherwise you are just a sucker that complains about the overcharges, surcharges, and the "I got charged $3,500 for using data in Canada" charges. You only have yourselves to blame.

blacwut.gif

Shed_a_Ninja said:

This entire post confuses me.

njean777

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think its pretty funny that you're comparing a hobby to a utility.

95% of america does not need a cellphone, tbh they are both luxieries that are not needed. Makes me wish with all this stuPid cell Phone crap we could go back to the days when cell phones were not all the rage and were just you know, phones. With all the free ways to communicate on the net we do not need cellphones. Are they nice to have sure, but are they necessary ? NO

numble

Copernicus said:
Profit margin? Where would these companies get iPhones from? Apple isn't goint to sell it to them in large volumes for a discount.

GSM phones don't need to be approved to work, they just need to have the right radio hardware (that is common around the globe). It's why that travel internationall love GSM phones.
The iPhone is the most popular phone on Verizon and AT&T. The number one question asked of T-Mobile after the AT&T announcement was whether they were going to get the iPhone. Unlocked iPhones sell for a high premium on Craigslist and eBay. I think they can make money if it was allowed.

I'm saying they need approval for subsidies. I know there's no approval for using the phone--I'm using an iPhone on TMobile right now.

njean777 said:
95% of america does not need a cellphone, tbh they are both luxieries that are not needed. Makes me wish with all this stuPid cell Phone crap we could go back to the days when cell phones were not all the rage and were just you know, phones. With all the free ways to communicate on the net we do not need cellphones. Are they nice to have sure, but are they necessary ? NO
1252439993878_f.jpg

njean777

ElectricBlue187 said:

Lol now that I look at my post it was a rant, I enjoy the uses of a smartphone it's just crazy that the cell phone markert has erupted into this fanboy and carrier crap.

njean777 said:
Lol now that I look at my post it was a rant, I enjoy the uses of a smartphone it's just crazy that the cell phone markert has erupted into this fanboy and carrier crap.
But what relevance does this have to anything? Because you don't deem something as necessary, consumers should just bend over and accept anything and everything done by companies?

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Yeah I heard the news when I awoke this morning.

Let me break this down for those that don't understand the magnitude of this meltdown.

My T-Mobile Phone Bill = $79.99 after tax and fees.
What I get.
*Unlimited Nights and Weekends with Free Roaming
*Unlimited Data throttled after 5GB per month with Free Data Roaming on ATT's Edge
*Unlimited Messaging and Unlimited Messaging when Roaming
*Unlimited Voice Mail with Free Visual Voice Mail also when Roaming
*Unlimited Free calling 24/7 to any one of 5 numbers in the US and Canada (This can be landline or cellphone and roaming is free and I can change them once per month.)
*450 Anytime Minutes when I rarely use any of since I get unlimited on everything else.
*Tethering is an additional $15 per month but, Tmobile hasn't said anything to those of us that Tether anyway. After all using my phone for data is using my phone for data.

All this on a Rooted MyTouch 3G Slide running 3rd sense with cached Apps2SD card.
The only downside is coverage but, lately even that has been much better since Tmobile is forcing phones in limited range to drop to G (56k) signal. This greatly improves and extends voice reception and has completely ended the dropped calls I used to get. If I need Edge, I can't get 3G at my house, I just switch to Roaming and I'm on. I get 3G just about anywhere else except my house and school but, both of these places have wifi.

So just to recap... No other carrier in the US offers this at this price or at any price.
NO ONE!

That's the exact same price as my bill with an iPhone on AT&T, and i have every single one of those features except the "calling to 5 numbers" part. So yeah, I wouldn't call it a "meltdown."

And again, for those not familiar with telecom history:

http://i.imgur.com/sz4d7.jpg

Seda

anonymousAversa said:
That's the exact same price as my bill with an iPhone on AT&T, and i have every single one of those features except the "calling to 5 numbers" part. So yeah, I wouldn't call it a "meltdown."

And again, for those not familiar with telecom history:

http://i.imgur.com/sz4d7.jpg

Well you must have been lucky enough to grandfather an old data plan.

Seda said:
Well you must have been lucky enough to grandfather an old data plan.
Yeah. That is not the normal rate plan at all. Or he's forgetting to add the messaging price to the total.

When I was on AT&T, I was paying a little over $100/month after student discounts and taxes with unlimited data, texting, and 400 minutes with the iPhone 3G.

Ephemeris

Shed_a_Ninja said:

That's because you're on Edge. Haven't tasted the sweet sweet nectar of 3G or tmo's faux 4G.

I'd say get an android phone for the 4G and tether to an ipod touch for your IOS needs.

JasonMCG said:
10x1103orub3etmo.jpg

This is humorously ironic now.

Someone make a pic of both of them on her back NOW! (assuming its not already done. Havn't finished reading thread.

Overall though this sucks. I love my T Mobile service. I am going to go sign up for a 4g unlimited plan this week so I can be grandfathered in with their prices.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
SimleuqiR said:
Just read this.

>_<
>_<

Sprint is my only hope. I will ride them until they also disappear.
Same here. I'm one of those people that's actually incredibly happy with my cell phone carrier. I'm in Chicago which is a huge network for Sprint, but still... totally happy with Sprint + Evo 4G.

I don't know why people don't switch to Sprint. Only thing it's really missing is the iPhone. Between the Epic4G and the Evo4G, Sprint has some of the best smart phones on the market currently.

zou

SimleuqiR said:
3G won't work. Voice, text and to a degree internet on EDGE will work. But what's the point of having a 3G phone on a network that can't get you the speeds?

That's incorrect. Most newer phones support all 3G bands, it's usually just locked in the firmware. T-Mobile could easily ask the manufacturer to unlock ATTs 3G band and the phones would work just the same. MY UK BB 9700 for example would work on both ATT as well as T-Mobile US using 3G, while my T-Mobile US 9780 has the ATT bands locked and won't.

So not going to be an issue. And if your phone doesn't have the hardware to support all bands, you should get a new phone regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom