• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X Graphics Comparison

StrongGuy

You're not a developer and have no idea how they'll use that. You honestly think MS didn't communicate with developers about split RAM before doing it? Or do you really think you're on to something? Come on.

Not to mention, even if it was bottleneck, and I highly doubt it is, that doesn't make it a PS3 2.0. PS3 had a shit GPU and a powerful CPU that was nearly impossible to use. Very, very different situation. XSX's CPU is not difficult to use and its GPU is far from shit. Actually it might be one of the best console GPUs at launch we've seen in decades.

We're already seeing the consequences of it. PS5 is showing more stable framerates, less tearing, higher quality textures, and probably higher resolution. You can keep denying it all you want, but XSX is looking more like the PS3 than the PS4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Well I got a OLED C7, fucked if I am going to throw it in the bin because a game has tearing - VRR is not a solution for poor games.

Fix this shit.

It’s called vsync, turn it on devs and stop making excuses for developers not doing it.

VRR also doesn’t work if games become more demanding and dip below 48fps. Both options should be there. Not just VRR and no vsync.

Last edited:
We're already seeing the consequences of it. PS5 is showing more stable framerates, less tearing, higher quality textures, and probably higher resolution. You can keep denying it all you want, but XSX is looking more like the PS3 than the PS4.

May I suggest waiting for the comparisons before coming to a conclusion?

Just seems a bit early to say anything about this to be honest.

It all depends on how much RAM the O.S for PS5 is using vs. that allocated to Xbox Series X, and how fast the PS5 I/O can stuff that RAM allocation.

If anything, it's in these early games.... with Ubisoft engines favoring the DirectX API that should theoretically show the lowest of differences. It will take time for devs to truly optimize their engines and rendering pipeline around PS5's I/O. Sony's first party clearly have a head start - just look at Spider-man Miles Morales or even Demon Souls from a 65-70 man team. Head above any third party offering on consoles.
May I suggest waiting for the comparisons before coming to a conclusion?

Just seems a bit early to say anything about this to be honest.
Indeed.

Last edited:

Romulus

What? One game and you've doomed it for the entire generation? lmao. You're clearly trolling. Even 10 launch games with superior(nothing has been proven yet) results isn't a forecast of an entire generation. That's a ludicrous thought process, and for you to even compare it to PS3 is a joke. Even "more like PS3" is just crazy. You have no idea if there's a day 1 patch or anything, you're just hoping to god your precious console of choice is the "winner."

Look, I like Sony, but you're ridiculous.

eNT1TY

The fact that things are indistinguishable means that DF's moral imperative should be the Absolute Duty to tell us which version is better, how else will we disparage fans of the other console on their questionable judgement in purchasing and general life decisions?

thelastword

Banned
Looking at it closer...

Xbox looks a tad clearer in parts, PS5 looks darker, so in these scenes the lighting pops on XBOX a bit more.

Other parts, PS5 looks clearer, like in the Eivor/Cassandra scene, PS5 pops more, has better DOF

Some scenes shows PS5 has better shadows and generally I think performance is better on PS5, smoother with no tearing....

StrongGuy

What? One game and you've doomed it for the entire generation? lmao. You're clearly trolling. Even 10 launch games with superior(nothing has been proven yet) results isn't a forecast of an entire generation. That's a ludicrous thought process, and for you to even compare it to PS3 is a joke. Even "more like PS3" is just crazy. You have no idea if there's a day 1 patch or anything, you're just hoping to god your precious console of choice is the "winner."

Look, I like Sony, but you're ridiculous.

I've built up a catalog of over 30 games on the PS4, and I would prefer the PS5 being superior to the XSX so that I can feel at ease transitioning to the PS5. If the XSX performed better than the PS5, I would feel that my 7 years farming amazon gift cards would be a waste.
I think you should come to terms with reality. Efficient design > Bottlenecked design with slightly stronger GPU

Last edited:

What are you talking about? Stable frame rates only on games running a lower resolution?

StrongGuy

Looking at it closer...

Xbox looks a tad clearer in parts, PS5 looks darker, so in these scenes the lighting pops on XBOX a bit more.

Other parts, PS5 looks clearer, like in the Eivor/Cassandra scene, PS5 pops more, has better DOF

Some scenes shows PS5 has better shadows and generally I think performance is better on PS5, smoother with no tearing....

PS5 also has much faster loading. It is the definitive console version. Everyone with XSX should return their console immediately.

Neo_game

Interesting that all the Xbox version have some sort of tearing ? IMO loading times is what everyone can notice during gameplay dynamic resolution and other artifacts is impossible to know. fps is also too close to call.

StrongGuy

What are you talking about? Stable frame rates only on games running a lower resolution?

PS5 has higher texture quality and less screen tearing with more stable frame rates. This means it is probably running at a higher average resolution than the XSX version. Devs will not intentionally lower resolution to boost other graphics quality. At worst, PS5 will match the XSX resolution, but the former having a lower average resolution is out the question now.

PS5 has higher texture quality and less screen tearing with more stable frame rates. This means it is probably running at a higher average resolution than the XSX version. Devs will not intentionally lower resolution to boost other graphics quality. At worst, PS5 will match the XSX resolution, but the former having a lower average resolution is out the question now.

Where? What game?

tenor.gif

Romulus

I've built up a catalog of over 30 games on the PS4, and I would prefer the PS5 being superior to the XSX so that I can feel at ease transitioning to the PS5. If the XSX performed better than the PS5, I would feel that my 7 years farming amazon gift cards would be a waste.
I think you should come to terms with reality. Efficient design > Bottlenecked design with slightly stronger GPU

Theres just zero evidence to conclude anything. I know you want to believe you're getting the best experience over xbox fans. But you're reaching man. Theres no superior version until the retail patched versions come out on day1 or ever later, not to mention ps5 could have been the lead development platform, which is a clear advantage and doesnt mean "bottlenecks!"
XSX actually has alot more bandwidth too in addition to a clear gpu advantage.

Looks identical to me, i mean 10.3 doesn't look identical in number to 12, but the efficiencies across both consoles makes the paper comparisons moot in real world games across both consoles. Enjoy them on whichever platform you're going for at launch!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
How is this guy the only one on Earth with PS5 footage so far?

The clip with missing water physics on XsX is somewhat concerning, hopefully a glitch that was addressed. Otherwise they seem to look very similar.

Man, this is some FUNKY spin.

That “poor architecture” seems to be kicking major ass so far in all around functionality.
Welcome back.

Kagey K

Banned
That's just another cross gen game so I doubt it
I don’t remember Ghosts being substantially different between the 2 cross gen versions so I don’t expect much this time either, but they are promising Raytracing so it’s another chance to see what they can do and how much bandwidth it eats.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How is this guy the only one on Earth with PS5 footage so far?

The clip with missing water physics on XsX is somewhat concerning, hopefully a glitch that was addressed. Otherwise they seem to look very similar.

Man, this is some FUNKY spin.

That “poor architecture” seems to be kicking major ass so far in all around functionality.

Welcome back!

Tranquil

After playing this game on the series x for a better part of today on a 4k/60hz monitor most everything looks great except for the snow, it looks very low res or something, not impressed by it.

Last edited:

Traxtech

That looks incredibly unimpressive. I know it's cross Gen but the animations are ps3 like to my eyes...

Everything looks like ps3 animations to me after I played the last of us 2. I hope developers push things like that this upcoming gem, Ray tracing is great but if you can't get immersed by shit animations then what's the point

YodaBB

It's going to be difficult to do a direct comparison with the dynamic time of day changes. There isn't any manual way to change it, although when you get to England you get a bed to rest in which may be a way to sync the time between consoles?

We're going to see more unoptimized, cross-gen releases for the next year or more, but hats off to anyone doing cross-platform development in 2020.

It's going to be interesting to see which game really feels "next-gen" in the way that Gears 1 did in 2006 for the 360.

Waiting for DF.

I'll wait to play it when I eventually get a PS5 6-12 months from now.

Hopefully by then the bugs and other issues will be ironed out plus it will be cheaper to boot!

I would imagine it will be a repeat of Pro Vs. X but even more in favour of the PS5 this time round.

I would imagine MS to be bullheaded with attemtping full 4K whereas Sony will use adaptive 4K more often. That coupled with the faster streaming HD for textures / pop in and I think the PS5 multi plats will generally play better at maybe a slightly lower resolution.

Once again Sony's first party will continue to look the best overall in the generation.

Top Bottom