• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage's narrative director fought to include the Alamut because it's so important for the lore

Draugoth

Gold Member
g7bSXW3EwXrzWTRzHgxprR-1200-80.jpeg.webp

Assassin's Creed Mirage is doing amazing things in Baghdad, serious history-defining things, and yet for long-term Assassin's Creed fans there's one other location in Basim's adventure that's the true lure. We've seen the Assassins have many homes over the last 15 years, but if there's one true home of the Hidden Ones, it's the Alamut.

This striking fortress has notoriously always been known as the home of the Hidden Ones, but this is actually the first time that we'll be able to actually explore the Alamut. "We already know it's currently under construction because in fact Darby [McDevitt, narrative director on Assassin's Creed Valhalla] already put some clues about it in Valhalla, so we had a really good foundation to build this story", explains creative director Stéphane Boundon.

The legendary location has somewhat mythical status for the series, having only so far been referenced in Assassin's Creed: Rogue, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and the novel Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade, but having strong connections to iconic characters like Altaïr Ibn-LaʼAhad. For long-term fans, it's a huge deal to now have the location featured – even if at this stage it's still being constructed – and the team at Ubisoft Bordeaux knows that. The dedicated souls even went as far as to play every single Assassin's Creed game to date in preparation – even if art director Jean-Luc Sala admits that some haven't aged as well as others – "it took us a very long time".

"I fought for Alamut even though the producer was not happy about it," laughs narrative director Sarah Beaulieu, with Boudon saying it was a "specific effort" to add the location on top of the team's work recreating Baghdad. "It was an opportunity to pay homage to the franchise," says Beaulieu. "The Alamut is big in the Assassin's Creed lore, and I think the community would have been very sad if we had missed that opportunity."

Source

Killer8

The dedicated souls even went as far as to play every single Assassin's Creed game to date in preparation – even if art director Jean-Luc Sala admits that some haven't aged as well as others – "it took us a very long time".

So this game could've come out last year...

QuwZOJ1.png

killatopak

You know, everything about this game makes me so hype. It’s a shame Basim is like that imperfection that keeps nagging at me. I just can’t seem to like to play as him especially after Valhalla.

Closest comparison I can point out to is Abby.

Barakov

Gold Member
Ubisoft really went off the deep end with the last couple of games. 45 hours and 61 hours for Odyssey and Valhalla respectively. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put so much bloat in those games should be fired. There's no reason for those games to take so long to get through the main story.

That being said, I have no idea what Alamut is. Glad it's in there, I guess.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ubisoft really went off the deep end with the last couple of games. 45 hours and 61 hours for Odyssey and Valhalla respectively. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put so much bloat in those games should be fired. There's no reason for those games to take so long to get through the main story.

That being said, I have no idea what Alamut is. Glad it's in there, I guess.

Man I wish I got either of those done in that short time. Isn’t Valhalla like 150+ hours ? I’m not even talking completionist but just a doing some side quests with main story, and then toss in DLC.

Valhalla is too much game for me. Same with Baldurs Gate 3. I’m surprised I even did 70 hours with starfield but the game felt manageable to just do all the main side faction quests and main story in that time.

Mirage sounds like a treat.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Man I wish I got either of those done in that short time. Isn’t Valhalla like 150+ hours ? I’m not even talking completionist but just a doing some side quests with main story, and then toss in DLC.

Valhalla is too much game for me. Same with Baldurs Gate 3. I’m surprised I even did 70 hours with starfield but the game felt manageable to just do all the main side faction quests and main story in that time.

Mirage sounds like a treat.
The length of games is a serious problem these days. Save it for skippable DLC or something. Valhalla took me 80-100 and I was angry playing it thinking I would get through it soon for the last 40 hours.

Top Bottom