• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V: Verdict Day- Anyone getting it tomorrow? Anyone even know it exists?

Vashzaron

Dat water map making my melee tactics harder. The first one I managed to clean pile a Tank the other time I ended up faffing about underwater.

Ok I made the new team "NeoGAF Squad 3" for people who want to join but couldn't due to full teams. Password is "0777"

Yeah I know how hard the Special Sorties can be, I was hired as a merc for that one with the red
NEXT
lasted a bit but wiped badly.

I'm searching for "NeoGAF Squad 3" but nothing is popping up.

Vashzaron

Gonna go for today, got Squad 3 to D rank. :>

Thinking about buying this. Are there any online trophies? Any opinions on the difficulty? Any input on this would be great.

Yes online trophies and on difficulty I'd say it's harder than most games.

I'm searching for "NeoGAF Squad 3" but nothing is popping up.

As some people have already joined the only thing I can think of is if you are on the 360 version of the game, that team and the others are on the PS3 version.... otherwise if you are on PS3 I'm not sure why you wouldn't find it.

yeah, fun games Vashzaron. Took us awhile to start doing good, but once we did we started wrecking most teams :p. I earned a lot of money too.

Just search "NeoGaf", that's it

Gonna go for today, got Squad 3 to D rank. :>

Yes online trophies and on difficulty I'd say it's harder than most games.

As some people have already joined the only thing I can think of is if you are on the 360 version of the game, that team and the others are on the PS3 version.... otherwise if you are on PS3 I'm not sure why you wouldn't find it.

Nope, PS3.

I'm gonna restart my PS3, I've had it on from yesterday when the group wasn't created, maybe that's the issue.

OatmealMu

We're no longer F-?! The sky's the limit, people! Today, we're F! Tomorrow we could be D! D!

And good job with the emblem, KDR_11k. I was going to do it myself yesterday, but when I went to buy decals I realized I was in debt. Not being able to afford a 5,000 Au decal made me sad and I logged off.

Eusis

We probably need to schedule some times, whether it's to do these sorties or to help each other get through SP faster (though that is a learning experience.)

OatmealMu

Here are the people that haven't posted their GAF username so far. I took the liberty of crossing off people that share the same PSN/NeoGAF name:

PSN: JDLars1
NeoGAF:

PSN: Hyper_Sonic618
NeoGAF:

PSN: Kail_Ashton
NeoGAF:

PSN: Valkerion7
NeoGAF:

PSN: f1nalhour
NeoGAF:

PSN: MrSaturnDAKOTA
NeoGAF:

That should be everyone. As it stands, there's one spot open on "NeoGAF".

OatmealMu

No need to post your name here if you're not on the team. I'm trying to figure out if any non-Gaffers snuck in. If you want in go ahead and join either of the two teams.

Takuan

Is there a "casual" squad I can join? I want to play with you guys, but I am completely new to the series and will not know what I am doing.

Seems like the easiest to control at least, I know AC4A gave me hand cramps. Since it's cheap you might as well start with it.

It is really cheap... I'm sold. I'm going to get it. My first Neogaf-influenced purchase! :D

Just out of curiosity, why is it so cheap? Is it only online play or is there a single player mode as well?

Takuan

Yeah, I just started mucking around in AC Test mode and the controls seem pretty straightforward. I put in an enemy AC to get a feel for the combat and got owned the first time after losing it from my sights and struggling to re-center on him.

Doesn't look like I can actually play until I get accepted into a team.

@wintermute0 I believe there's an offline mode, because I was prompted to download a compatibility pack and it said that I could proceed in offline mode. It seems like most of the fun of the game is in online, though. The co-op alone sounds promising. As for why it's cheap, I'm going to guess it sold terribly and they're trying to boost the online community numbers (gonna guess it's a pretty dead one).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, I just started mucking around in AC Test mode and the controls seem pretty straightforward. I put in an enemy AC to get a feel for the combat and got owned the first time after losing it from my sights and struggling to re-center on him.

Doesn't look like I can actually play until I get accepted into a team.

You can absolutely play without being part of a team.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Weird, I tried going out on sorties and it said I had to be part of a team. I didn't create my own (is this what you meant?) because I figured I'd wait to be added to the NeoGAF team.

I'm pretty sure you can do Story missions without being on a team. Did you try that?

KDR_11k

It definitely works offline. There's only the SP content then (a campaign of 60 or so missions plus a hardcore mode that challenges you to win the campaign with a limited number of lives and possibly some extra rules like everything takes 10x damage) of course. It does tell you the priority of the game that the story mode option is pretty far down the list in the mission menu. A "normal sortie" is actually an online match.

I think it's on sale because they have Golden Week in Japan. Dunno why THIS cheap, perhaps they figured they'd make up the difference in DLC sales (you can buy a ton of DLC packs, mostly cosmetic or early unlocks, AFAIK no extra missions).

As far as being part of a team, it's perfectly acceptable to create a throwaway team for yourself.

OatmealMu

For those mostly interested in going at it alone, I recommend learning how to program UNACs. At some point in the singleplayer campaign, you'll be given an AI partner. They're limited at first. Level them up, though, and you'll be given additional chips to expand their behavior. Programming these guys is a game in of itself. You can have them jump set intervals, boost dodge after taking a damage, switch weapons depending on the situation... It's a lot to take in but makes sense once you understand the basics.

I kind of wish From would make a game based entirely around the UNAC system.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The game's as cheap as it is right now because...well, I mean it already retails for $20 or less both physical and on PSN. And since the Golden Week sale is 75% off for PS+ members, well...yeah. And it's actually been cheaper than this on XBL in the past. $3.75, I think?

Mokoi

Banned
For those mostly interested in going at it alone, I recommend learning how to program UNACs. At some point in the singleplayer campaign, you'll be given an AI partner. They're limited at first. Level them up, though, and you'll be given additional chips to expand their behavior. Programming these guys is a game in of itself. You can have them jump set intervals, boost dodge after taking a damage, switch weapons depending on the situation... It's a lot to take in but makes sense once you understand the basics.

I kind of wish From would make a game based entirely around the UNAC system.

Thanks for the advice. I been thinking about picking it up, but won't have much time to consistently play online.

jorgeton

Just joined squad 3. Username is JT, psn schmorge. The tutorial was pretty fun. Looking forward to diving in once this compatibility pack downloads ..

This is kind of on topic.

What is the best Armored Core game on the PSP? I'd love to play Armored Core on the go. I've read the reviews for a few of them, and they're all mostly negative. It seems like the entire series gets mostly negative reviews, and I don't base my enjoyment of a game on reviews anyways... but it's hard to judge which one to purchase with the information available to me.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there a particularly good combo of type-of-defense parts to use together, or does it all depend what parts you want to use?

E.g. "its more often than not better to use a TE core, KE legs, etc" or is it just "I want to use this KE legs so use a non-KE core" (unless everything in the mission is KE type or something)

Finding it difficult to determine what parts to buy. I can see noticeable differences in the legs but with some of the other defensive parts I'm not sure what defense type to pick.

Vashzaron

Is there a particularly good combo of type-of-defense parts to use together, or does it all depend what parts you want to use?

E.g. "its more often than not better to use a TE core, KE legs, etc" or is it just "I want to use this KE legs so use a non-KE core" (unless everything in the mission is KE type or something)

Finding it difficult to determine what parts to buy. I can see noticeable differences in the legs but with some of the other defensive parts I'm not sure what defense type to pick.

This gives good info on part combinations and recommendations: http://forum.armoredcorelegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=828

Vashzaron

So from many normal sorties now... seems to me EGF winning just by sitting back and watching Sirius and Venide killing each other, lol.

Seriously I never really see battles vs EGF personally, much more combat simulation ones with my own faction even.

KDR_11k

I never really pay attention to the faction wars, they seem so abstract and arbitrary that I don't feel it's our fault. I only stick with Venide because they have the least annoying menu music.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is being more mobile (vs being more armoured) better mainly for online play?

I've been doing pretty well in single player solo and always want to use faster bipedal-m legs (instead of bipedal-l) but for a lot of the missions it seems like being more armored is the better choice, both because I can load up on more weapons and because on some smaller maps when it just drops like 8 enemies nearby, I find mobility less useful than more AP.

I'm almost done with the campaign so I should pop back online in a day or so.
Is being more mobile (vs being more armoured) better mainly for online play?

I've been doing pretty well in single player solo and always want to use faster bipedal-m legs (instead of bipedal-l) but for a lot of the missions it seems like being more armored is the better choice, both because I can load up on more weapons and because on some smaller maps when it just drops like 8 enemies nearby, I find mobility less useful than more AP.
I have mostly played with a mobile build and I agree that it doesn't seem all that beneficial. I think the problem is the AI has too much of an advantage when it comes to locking on. I can try to glide away and they still hit me.

Top Bottom