• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V: Verdict Day- Anyone getting it tomorrow? Anyone even know it exists?

I just spent almost an hour reading through the manual. This game is information overload for me. @_@ Just looking at the stat screens overwhelms me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just spend almost an hour reading through the manual. This game is information overload for me. @_@ Just looking at the stat screens overwhelms me.

You would have freaked out at the old school AC HUD.

Im sad that in this game, you cant actually use your weapons when in the information overlay mode. As seriously I would personally prefer all of that data to be on screen while Im fighting.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
You would have freaked out at the old school AC HUD.

Im sad that in this game, you cant actually use your weapons when in the information overlay mode. As seriously I would personally prefer all of that data to be on screen while Im fighting.

Scan mode is probably the worst thing about the game honestly. Using it to manage energy output is cool and all, but i'd prefer the old radar back and whoever decided to tint the screen and make the game impossible for color blind people to play should be fired. Or at least given a firm lecture.

Seeing all the reviewers who complained about the minimal hud on the lockbox being cluttered and difficult to read was pretty funny though. I'd also have liked that stuff always visible and being able to actually configure hud elements like the old games would have been great.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Scan mode is probably the worst thing about the game honestly. Using it to manage energy output is cool and all, but i'd prefer the old radar back and whoever decided to tint the screen and make the game impossible for color blind people to play should be fired. Or at least given a firm lecture.

Seeing all the reviewers who complained about the minimal hud on the lockbox being cluttered and difficult to read was pretty funny though. I'd also have liked that stuff always visible and being able to actually configure hud elements like the old games would have been great.

Scan mode is shit due to it being a separate mode rather than something which is constantly active. Thats the whole problem behind it. Asides from that the data feedback you can get from it is pretty useful, if you can process all of whats being thrown at you.

Eusis

I need to look into how to incorporate icons into the game, I kind of want to have an actual sun for my team icon rather than a yellow crosshair.

Coxy

I just spend almost an hour reading through the manual. This game is information overload for me. @_@ Just looking at the stat screens overwhelms me.

Dont worry about getting it all at once, you'll learn things as you need them

the three things you should really look at when beginning core building are the weapons, legs and engine you want to use

Is there some video or guide out there somewhere that can help a completely newbie understand what you are suppose to do? I'm playing through the story missions and got stuck as soon as the difficulty went up to 2, but I'm still enjoying the game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dont worry about getting it all at once, you'll learn things as you need them

the three things you should really look at when beginning core building are the weapons, legs and engine you want to use

I'd say the most important thing to learn early on is the damage resistances of the different leg types. In a mission briefing if you're going to fight any ACs it'll usually tell you what weapons they'll be using and what type of AC they've got, whether its a medium biped, heavy biped, reverse joint, quad, tank, etc. An ACs legs is the largest determining factor in what type of damage it's resistant to. Mid bipeds are most resistant to KE, so load up on CE and TE. Quads are resistant to CE to use KE and especially TE. Tanks are strongest vs TE so use KE, etc. Then stack your ACs defenses to resist whatever they're using. It can turn an impossible fight into a cakewalk.

It's not always foolproof as they can be using variant parts with extra defenses and missions do like to throw surprises at you that weren't covered in the briefings, so it's always good to bring weapons that cover all bases, and have a decent amount of resist in everything rather than focusing on one area. It gives you a good idea what to expect though.

When buying weapons unless you know what you're doing it's generally a good idea to tune them for power as even a tiny bit of extra punch can be the difference between doing damage or having your bullets bouncing off their armor. Online play is a different story as there are specific breakpoints players want to target for certain builds that changes as the metagame evolves but that's not something to worry about in the campaign.

OatmealMu

This game is really kicking my ass. My armor feels like paper and the guns like pea shooters. I just did a merc missions where I lost 37k credits. Yeah, this was definitely designed for coop. I'll stick with it and hopefully unlock better stuff, but damn...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
This game is really kicking my ass. My armor feels like paper and the guns like pea shooters. I just did a merc missions where I lost 37k credits. Yeah, this was definitely designed for coop. I'll stick with it and hopefully unlock better stuff, but damn...

Everything is totally doable solo. It feels good when you can beat the final boss with nothing but a lightweight AC and a single set of KE rifles. :)

But like I said above, if any mission is giving you trouble just use scan mode to figure out the weakness and damage type of whatever is killing you, reconfigure and try again. Once everything clicks you're pretty much unstoppable.

Papstr

Neo Member
Funny how I see this thread bumped after I got it for my birthday a few days ago. I'm loving it, it basically got rid of all my complaints about ACV. Any GAF teams on 360 I can join who are active?

edit: seems like this activity is because of the PSN sale. Guess I'm out of luck.

Have you played an AC game before? If you're only experience with From is Souls then you're in for a bit of a learning curve. :)

The big difference in the perceived accessibility of the souls games vs AC is in how the stats and systems translate into feedback in execution. Souls games have similar interfaces and layouts but the pages of stats are less cryptic when you can see the immediate effect of gear. How big and slow a sword is, if its piercing or bludgeoning, if it does lighting or fire damage, etc. In Armored Core you have different damage types, muzzle velocity, armor breakpoints, etc - all these things to consider and when you actually start playing there isn't much feedback that you're doing anything wrong besides a flashing "INEFFECTIVE" message whenever you hit something, you run out of energy and can't boost and then you die for reasons you probably don't fully comprehend.

The Souls games and their mechanics are pretty transparent compared to AC, but not all that much different in execution - in AC you just have to spend a bit of time to read through and understand how things work before getting too deep. Hell you can beat most of the campaign by just sticking to a pair of KE + CE rifles tuned for power and using a prebuilt UNAC to carry you through the tricky bits as long as you have a halfway decent grasp of the systems. Once the campaign is over, you have access to all the parts and a ton of cash is when the real fun starts. :)

Thanks for the heads up, really interesting info you've given. its getting me really excited to start this
Yes, its my first AC game; I've always been interested, just never got around to playing any of them. I have about a month until my summer internship begins, so I'll have plenty of time to sink my teeth deep into this game. As long as there is a technical aspect to this game mixed in with twitch reflex mechanic, I think i'll be satisfied :).

I saw some gameplay, and holy shit does this game look fucking cool.

Also, is the online community still active?

Eusis

Took two tries here. I hid behind a building way more often the second time.

Probably could've also just jumped up that building and sniped everything.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
First thing people should do is buy a balanced FCS with good lockbox and targeting speed, and whatever CE head part has the best camera stat.

edit: Should add how fire control works in general: when a target is in range within the lockbox it will be in a green target box, and when you pull the trigger you will fire directly at it. When the target box turns from green to red, the predictive targeting has kicked in and you will fire at where the target will be based on it's trajectory. The faster the FCS, the quicker you can get predictive lock. Weapons with low muzzle velocity like battle rifles will take longer to calculate due to the slow projectile speed.

Unless you're using a sniper rifle or long distance weapon, don't worry too much about range on an fcs, focus on speed and angle. A high camera stat on a head will be more than enough for mid-range weapons.

OatmealMu

Triangle + R2 should switch bays, right? I have a sniper as my primary wep and a machinegun sitting on my right shoulder. The only time I can switch weapons is when the sniper runs out of ammo. Am I doing something wrong?

Triangle + R2 should switch bays, right? I have a sniper as my primary wep and a machinegun sitting on my right shoulder. The only time I can switch weapons is when the sniper runs out of ammo. Am I doing something wrong?
With some weapons you can only switch to another by purging them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, I think I have things figured out a bit better now. Cleared the second mission on my first try, then replayed the first two a few times each, a couple of times in co-op with OatmealMu (that was fun, man).

Gonna take a break and play some Hot Shots Golf now. Damn this PSN sale giving me too much to play, haha.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Regular sniper rifles can be swapped but heavy weapons like sniper cannons, autocannons, and howitzers can only be purged, either manually or automatically when it runs dry.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just wanna pop in and remind anyone else who's new to the game and picking it up via the PSN sale, be sure to join us in the NeoGAF team. We've only got seven members at the moment, and the max is 20, so there's plenty of room.

Just wanna pop in and remind anyone else who's new to the game and picking it up via the PSN sale, be sure to join us in the NeoGAF team. We've only got seven members at the moment, and the max is 20, so there's plenty of room.
Technically I enlisted but I'm not sure if I'm going to participate online. I don't do voice chat so I tend to stay away from multiplayer in general.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Technically I enlisted but I'm not sure if I'm going to participate online. I don't do voice chat so I tend to stay away from multiplayer in general.

Eh, thus far nobody in the GAF group that I've played with has used voice chat. And really, the online is integrated so well that I don't even mind it, despite not being a multiplayer kinda guy myself.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Damn, I reinstalled the english version and my saves are all gone. Looks like I'll be replaying the game from scratch for a 3rd time to unlock everything again. :p

KDR_11k

Remember you can hit select to highlight the stats and get tooltips on them.

Regular sniper rifles can be swapped but heavy weapons like sniper cannons, autocannons, and howitzers can only be purged, either manually or automatically when it runs dry.

Also activating an ultimate weapon requires holstering your active weapons, since heavy weapons cannot be holstered they are auto-purged when the UW is activated.

However, activating weapon arms does NOT count as holstering since the arms holding the weapons just fold backwards or something. So you can equip a sniper cannon and, say, a WAB-123 and switch back and forth at will.

It feels good when you can beat the final boss with nothing but a lightweight AC and a single set of KE rifles. :)

Is there any other viable build for the final boss? Maybe in coop the second player can go with something heavier if the light AC keeps distracting the boss so it won't hit the heavy with an assault armor charge but without a distraction anything heavier than a light mech can't get away from the assault armor fast enough.

Dizzy-4U

I'll be joining the GAF team tonight if there is any spot open left.

My only experience with the Armored Core series are 2 and Another Age, so I have a lot of catch-up to do. At least I won't be controlling the Mech with the D-Pad this time (I hope).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
However, activating weapon arms does NOT count as holstering since the arms holding the weapons just fold backwards or something. So you can equip a sniper cannon and, say, a WAB-123 and switch back and forth at will.

I actually had no idea you could do that. I'll have to mess around with weapon arms more..

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's pretty great in the 1(or 2)-on-1 AC fights in early story mode, just holding down all three of your attack buttons and unloading massive amounts of ordinance on the enemy. I'm sure this won't be a viable strategy later on when things get harder, but for now it's great. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There were 9 spots when I just applied to the NeoGAF group. I feel like such a noob.

You mean 9 members? Keep in mind that group didn't exist before a day or so ago. Pretty sure it's actually the second NeoGAF group, and was created just because the first one was full.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I just did. I haven't played an Armored Core game since PlayStation 1.

Hold me.

Word of warning: It's gonna be a lot different than you remember. :lol That's the problem I ran into when I started (a whole day or so ago, haha). It's much faster and more complex than it used to be. Also the first story mission is strangely hard compared to the stuff immediately after. So don't let that throw you off.

RoeBear

You mean 9 members? Keep in mind that group didn't exist before a day or so ago. Pretty sure it's actually the second NeoGAF group, and was created just because the first one was full.

Yeah I guess I'm the 9th member. I guess since it's a new group there will be a few noobs to keep me company.

Jrs3000

I'll be joining. I'll be starting fresh on ps3 but I'm no noob to the game since I have it on 360. Is there a password or is it open?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'll be joining. I'll be starting fresh on ps3 but I'm no noob to the game since I have it on 360. Is there a password or is it open?

It's open.

It'd be cool if we could get a full group going sometime to do some World Missions. Biggest group I've been in thus far was me, another GAFfer, and two mercs.

Jrs3000

It's open.

It'd be cool if we could get a full group going sometime to do some World Missions. Biggest group I've been in thus far was me, another GAFfer, and two mercs.

Cool, I don't have a headset currently but I think I can get my 360 one working with ps3. I play at night usually 9pm or later eastern time and weekends morning and nights.

Just joined neogaf team should be 14 altogether if I applied to the right one

Edit: beat the first mission on first try with default mech. Got S rank too. I was expecting something harder with the way y'all are talking

Top Bottom