• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane and Spencer promised Redfall will be their most supported game post-launch, 3 months later Redfall no updates, users are angry for being lied

Ozriel

M$FT
Arkane Austin head: “Redfall will be our most supported title post launch, with updates and DLC”

Bernoulli: “Phil Spencer promised Redfall would be the most supported Arkane title ever”

The agenda never ends 😂 Even the bloody link in the OP clearly identifies where the promise came from

That said, Arkane really should be providing updates on the promised 60fps patch.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Don't. Pre-order. Games. It's. Fucking. Stupid.

Love Island Smile GIF by PeacockTV

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How gullible can people be to believe it would be their most supported game after launch?
You really thought it would get more support than Sea of Thieves? More than Halo MCC or Forza? I want to meet the dopes that bought into that.

The game is a massive bomb that’s nowhere close to being finished, let alone optimized. There was no single vision behind it. 60fps isn’t going to do shit for it.

Most people probably played on Game Pass so no loss there.
The suckers that bought the game, I have no sympathy for. Stop preordering you dolts. You people never learn despite so many examples of developers delivering shit sandwiches at launch.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Frankly, most people who bought that shit show must have done so on pre-order, so they probably deserve to take the hit.

Don't. Pre-order. Games. It's. Fucking. Stupid.

Yep.

I’ve got the credit in my account meant for Starfield, and I’m still not preordering it. I need to see how the game turns out before I spend my money on it.

Thief1987

How gullible can people be to believe it would be their most supported game after launch?
You really thought it would get more support than Sea of Thieves? More than Halo MCC or Forza? I want to meet the dopes that bought into that.

The game is a massive bomb that’s nowhere close to being finished, let alone optimized. There was no single vision behind it. 60fps isn’t going to do shit for it.

Most people probably played on Game Pass so no loss there.
The suckers that bought the game, I have no sympathy for. Stop preordering you dolts. You people never learn despite so many examples of developers delivering shit sandwiches at launch.
Ehm
It’ll be the most supported because of Game Pass. Microsoft will want this to have long legs, as it’ll be another draw for the subscription service.

I just don't want to see Arkane stuck on this for a long time. Free them up to create more stuff.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Yeah, one post is before we all found out the game was a disaster. The other is the current situation.

Had Arkane delivered a great game it would’ve seen the typical support GaaS titles see on Game Pass.
Instead they delivered a bigger bomb than anyone could’ve imagined. I don’t expect to see this supported at all now. Cut ties with it and move on to something else.

This isn’t the gotcha you think it is.

Last edited:

Three

Arkane Austin head: “Redfall will be our most supported title post launch, with updates and DLC”

Bernoulli: “Phil Spencer promised Redfall would be the most supported Arkane title ever”

The agenda never ends 😂 Even the bloody link in the OP clearly identifies where the promise came from

That said, Arkane really should be providing updates on the promised 60fps patch.
The link identifies that both made a claim for support. But the most supported is for Arkane as a studio. "Their" is referring to Arkane.

"Spencer claimed that Bethesda and developer Arkane will continue to support Redfall, as Rare had done with Sea of Thieves – another first-party co-op title which was initially criticised at launch."

“In terms of our commitment to the game… absolutely, the team at Arkane is taking the near-term feedback. We’re still working on the 60fps update. We have a good timeline for that… and we’re going to continue to work [on] the game. We’ve shown a commitment to games like Sea of Thieves and [Obsidian‘s] Grounded, to continue to go and build games."

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There have been updates to the game after the release (performance and bug fixes). A lot of games don't have additional content ready in 3 months as Clear Clear mentioned already.

I'm having a hard time believing that anyone cares enough about Redfall to be angry.
I mean...Yeah...to be honest. Not even angry, about the best thing Msft did with that whole thing was put it on GP so that the sting of the game being so bad could be lessened by just getting a month of gamepass.

I was extremely disappointed in what Arkane put out. I'd honestly, rather them not have put anything out and at least keep my opinion of them positive. They were one of my favorite studios and they really dropped the ball hard with this. It's a competent, barely AA shooter that feels barebones and barely finished, or a lot of things just not implemented at all. It's not even close the scale and level of ANY of their previous games.

Def. not angry, disappointed and interested in the actual development of the game as there is no way in hell the Redfall they released was even close in concept to what they at least initially intended. And if it was....well, the studio is past the point of saving at this point.

I wish all parties involved could collectively agree it was a floppy dud and do an open post-mortem that can give a better understanding of what the hell happened.

Last edited:

Ginzeen

Banned
Meh. Redfall was a stinker. Makes sense to just forget about it. Doesn't really matter phil lied about that because the game is ass. This is not a cyberpunk situation. It's just not a good game from top to bottom. The devs didn't even want to make it lol. Time to move on. Arkane just needs to do what they do best and improve. They need to make a game they want to make.

Lunarorbit

Oh damn. They haven't even delivered on the extra promised content?

That's what happens when 75% of your staff leave a studio. Great way to ruin arkane austin

Yeah, stop pre ordering games. Just get gamepass instead, way safer. If a game does end up shitty well, you just saved yourself a few bucks! (is that what we are doing to try to spin this as a positive now?).

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I've got some unicorns to sell to people if they truly believed they would continue to work on it after the hammering it's got.

Man, the four people still playing this dumpster fire are in for a long road of disappointment. Halo Infinite - Microsoft's flagship franchise, whose iconography is literally inside the console - was, effectively, abandoned and the studio was gutted. I doubt they do much of anything with Redfall except pretend it doesn't exist.

Rofl, no. CDPR refunded all copies of Cyberpunk 2077 on all platforms after the initial backlash. Sony, faced with a spotlight on their terrible refund practices after CDPR's high profile "refunds for everyone" press release, responded by delisting CDPR's game entirely to ensure they refunded as few copies as possible. They were the only platform to do this. Sony happily sells borderline broken asset flips on PSN today because none of them are high profile enough to make headlines about how terrible refunds are on PSN.
I stand corrected then.

And good on CD Projekt Red.

Ozriel

M$FT
The link identifies that both made a claim for support. But the most supported is for Arkane as a studio. "Their" is referring to Arkane.

"Spencer claimed that Bethesda and developer Arkane will continue to support Redfall, as Rare had done with Sea of Thieves – another first-party co-op title which was initially criticised at launch."

“In terms of our commitment to the game… absolutely, the team at Arkane is taking the near-term feedback. We’re still working on the 60fps update. We have a good timeline for that… and we’re going to continue to work [on] the game. We’ve shown a commitment to games like Sea of Thieves and [Obsidian‘s] Grounded, to continue to go and build games."

Sure. But that’s completely at odds with the thread title. As well as the “they lied to us” angle.

I’m pretty sure they’ll have scrapped DLC plans, but I’m seeing nothing that says post-launch support has been scrapped.

Spencer’s comments you cite were made in May. By June, Arkane had pushed out a meaty 32gb patch with fixes and gameplay improvements. Their patch notes even state that work on the 60fps performance mode is ongoing.

As I said, there’s an agenda.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not to defend a shit game like that but 3 months they cant do miracles my guys. Elden Ring will get its expansion like what, 3 years after its release? Cyberpunk took almost a year or two to get fixed properly and another for its expansion. The dev time for content has increased 10 times vs pre-covid for some fucking reason.
Remember, Spencer said this game had great internal reviews 😂.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sure. But that’s completely at odds with the thread title. As well as the “they lied to us” angle.

I’m pretty sure they’ll have scrapped DLC plans, but I’m seeing nothing that says post-launch support has been scrapped.

Spencer’s comments you cite were made in May. By June, Arkane had pushed out a meaty 32gb patch with fixes and gameplay improvements. Their patch notes even state that work on the 60fps performance mode is ongoing.

As I said, there’s an agenda.
There is a narrative alright… and some victimhood complex (it is the alternation between loudly boasting and playing victim that gets the before and after generation start talks)…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To be fair, putting out significant additional content ~3 months after release is a fairly tall order if you think about it, especially if the main game has come in "hot".
If you think about it, the team has most likely been crunching hard to get the thing out, and by the time the final is accepted they'll be ready to take a well-earned break. That'll certainly be how management will have presented the situation to them.

But, if the reality is more crunch to fix significant bugs, plus start work on the additional content that needs to be finished in another few weeks... that's just going to be demoralizaing. Especially if its a project that's had less then total buy-in creatively throughout on their part, and now it basically needs to be redeemed in the eyes of the audience... Just saying, if you found yourself in that position how happy would you be in your work?

Not to say that users shouldn't feel disappointed, angry, or misled. My point is simply that this isn't the work of malfunctioning robots, its made by humans who are going to react to the situation they find themselves in, and that reaction is going to impact their performance and productivity. Which in turn is going to have further effects on the project.
I do get that, HelloGames was in a very similar situation and it took them a while to sort themselves out and sort it all out they did, but again small team with few resources… isn’t MS supposed to use the large wallet to help their devs or only to steal publishers from the competition?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Imagine still:

A: Giving a shit about this crap game with everything else out.

B: Actually having faith in this :poop: developer being able to deliver anything of quality after this game and what their studio turned into during its development.

Some people just bring disappointment on themselves. Shills honestly. Too much faith in these proven no talent no ambition devs.

Saiyan-Rox

ever have one of those days you just want to play a bad game for shits and giggles?

currently downloading this on my shitty gaming lappy

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
ever have one of those days you just want to play a bad game for shits and giggles?

currently downloading this on my shitty gaming lappy

If you want to play a shitty silly game Rox you could give Exoprimal a go since it's also on GP, at least that game runs at 60fps, looks nice and you can actually have fun with it 😁

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just let it die at this point. Could try to reboot the IP at a later point with a different team and perhaps not make it a GaaS shit stain.

This is no different than watching a show with a cliff hanger season 1 ending that doesn’t get a season 2 due to low ratings.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
doesnt that require friends? cause I dont have those

Nah man, you can definitely play it without a party - that's how I've been playing for the past 2+ weeks 😉

Sure, it's a GaaS title but...it's jolly good stupid fun if you're into that kind of thing .

Cheers

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I do get that, HelloGames was in a very similar situation and it took them a while to sort themselves out and sort it all out they did, but again small team with few resources… isn’t MS supposed to use the large wallet to help their devs or only to steal publishers from the competition?

Totally, but I suspect the big difference is that the Hello guys really believed in their project. Whereas if the rumours are true Redfall somewhere along the way became something that only the suits were really excited by.

Its inevitable that the bigger the team gets the lower the percentage of staff who are creatively involved beyond their own specific contribution, so when a team starts working on something atypical for the studio's past output its crucial that there's a feeling of overall excitement and positivity about the project. People will start looking for a way out, either by getting transferred to another team or leaving altogether, because nobody wants to waste years of their career on lost causes.

Ozriel

M$FT
Still blows my mind that a game this fucking ugly and low quality can’t do 60.

For sure. Looks like something that should be running at 120fps

There is a narrative alright… and some victimhood complex (it is the alternation between loudly boasting and playing victim that gets the before and after generation start talks)…

lmao, what the blazes are you on about? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It's a single reddit user who didn't even purchase the game. Borderline concern trolling for making this thread.

it's his thing at this point.

M.W.

Maybe they are waiting for Halloween?

Maybe they gave up on it, EA style?

Maybe it's Maybeline

Gojiira

I don't think they were set up for success at all, but as you pointed it isn't as out on leftfield as the examples I gave.

I understand how someone looking at their recent games, which were first person, thought it was an easy fit for them. This said, they didn't exactly have a track record/claim in multiplayer. Regardless, I agree nobody could have predicted how bad the end product would be.
That is true, multiplayers never really been a thing for them, still it says a lot about Xbox management moreso than Arkanes ability.
I cant even say its a shame tbh, vampires are just so meh and limiting unless you go down the route of Legacy of Kain/Vampire Hunter D with mutants and monsters in their thrall. Still maybe if one day they reboot it and include more mythological beasts etc it could be worked into a fun co-op game.

Top Bottom