• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Sony and Nintendo the last two major companies we can trust for day 1 releases?

Crayon

Japan_on_the_globe_%28Japan_centered%29.svg

Aenima

Yeah they are pretty consistent. (not on PC) Thers a few others as well.
SEGA's Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio always delivers.
Atlus with Persona games, even if they fuck you up with Golden/Royal edition that you cant just upgrade.
Vanillaware, its a gem factory.
Others already mentioned Capcom, FromSoft, even if From always fucks up in performance, the games are always worth day 1 purchases.

Alot Japanese studio just make that extra effort to deliver you a finished product.

Last edited:

TheAssist

Cant speak for any other Square games, but FF7R and FF16 were pretty fine right a launch. Both got I think a single patch for some small stuff, but I played both without any patches and everything was fine. No DLC that should have been part of the main game, no majo bugs that were occuring to a major part of the install base.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Technically true. Sure, their games might release with bad performance on day one, but it's not like they fix them later so there is no reason to wait.
I take few performance issue over incomplete and downright broken game. I mean I bough Elden Ring day one the few FPS issue didn't prevent me from enjoying the game.

nial

Gold Member
You forgetting...
maxresdefault.jpg
monolith-soft-20th-1.jpg
Company-Logo_Vanillaware-Green-Init.png

Praise the Sun!
xenoblade-chronicles2-xenoblade-chronicles.gif
OP is talking about publishers tho, so Monolift Soft fits into Nintendo. Vanillaware, while independent, often has its games published by Atlus, which has a good track record.

Last edited:
Imho, most Japanese/Asian game companies are trustworthy when it comes to delivering a polished and quality product to my experience. For example, they typically have way less glitches, bugs and less issues at launch.

Just japanese. No other asian country really comes close in terms of output for one reason or another.
That’s true, but for me I suppose games like Asterigos, Lies of P, DNF Duel and I’m assuming Stellar Blade and Wukong give me hope that future releases will eventually be on par with most of the Japanese developers.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That’s true, but for me I suppose games like Asterigos, Lies of P, DNF Duel and I’m assuming Stellar Blade give me hope that future releases will eventually be on par with most of the Japanese developers.
Those releases are really good but at the end of the day it's going to be hard for Korea or China to have their own Nintendo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Only fromsoft games I pre order blindly without a care in the world.

Everything else is a wait and see.

SodaZA

Yea i agree with the others trust no one
Both Sony and Nintendo have good tract records but they have their stumbles
the PC port of TLOU for example

Duchess

I don't trust any dev with day 1 releases any more. I wait 2 or 3 months before picking up a title. I won't be getting Spider-Man 2 until early 2024.

SCB3

No, Pokemon SV and Days Gone being messes at launch being 2 prime examples, they were fixed after (well as much as Pokemon could be) but still shit on release

To be slightly fair, the Switch is very underpowered but it really shouldn't excuse Gamefreak, especially when Sword/Shield despite their own flaws, always ran pretty well

Edit: Forgot a big one, Driveclub!

Also for Sony, that Network hack that not only put Crossplay back a decade or so but also completely killed SOCOM

Last edited:

TidusYuna

001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006

If you know, you know. The physical collectors who care about game preservation know which games are complete. Here is a hint, it usually isn't on day 1. My 006 has more value to me than a collector's edition.

StereoVsn

Trust no one
Yep, still need to wait for deep dive tech reviews and impressions even for Sony, Nintendo or whatever other studio you think is safe like Capcom.

Nothing guarantees bug free Day 1 or the game delivering as it’s supposed to.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wasn't GT7 broken for a few days at launch?

But apart from that, I believe most of Sony and Nintendo games launch in a state that they can be enjoyed on day one.

I remember my god of war 2018 copy having like 7 patches in a week, but I never experienced issues at all, so not sure what was going on there??

Why does everyone say From Software ?
Their games at launch are choppy as fuck. While it's "playable" but it's not stable at all.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Lol. Yeah. After recent stretch of Pokemon games it is for sure wise to trust Nintendo with day 1 release.
Same for Sony after TLOU Part 1 on PC and GT7 on PS.

Last edited:

SHA

Yes, multiple times. Street Fighter V was barely a game sold at full price. Same for Exoprimal.
They've changed Ken's theme, it's a different game to me, what's next? Pull it from the internet and leave it without a trace, that's too cruel but obviously yes.

Aion002

You really shouldn't trust anyone, even if it's a studio that you know and love. For me, that includes From Soft. I usually love their games! I bought AC6 day one... and yeah, it really isn't for me. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
That was like ordering a type of food that you dislike just because your favorite restaurant made it.

mom son GIF

Anyway... I trust Kojima, From Software and Capcom, they always delivered for me. Yes, I liked Exo Primal and RE6.

Last edited:
We know we can't trust: EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Konami, 343, CDPR, Bethesda, Blizzard, and most major publishers, really. How many major companies left can we trust to deliver a relatively stable and complete day 1 experience? Sony and Nintendo did have a couple of stumbles such as Days Gone and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet but these are the exception and by and large, their games release relatively complete and polished. In Nintendo's case, the Switch is so woefully underpowered that you still get disasters like Bayonetta 3 but there's no real way to circumvent hardware limitations.

So, who can we trust among companies that release AAA games? Are Nintendo and Sony off the list too?
So what you are trying to day is that almost all publishers cannot be trusted to deliver a complete and stable software, but Nintendo fails completely and cannot even be trusted on a hardware level?

Im totally with you. Nintendo is the worst....

Last edited:

digdug2

That was like ordering a type of food that you dislike just because your favorite restaurant made it.

mom son GIF

Anyway... I trust Kojima, From Software and Capcom, they always delivered for me. Yes, I liked Exo Primal and RE6.
How are you supposed to know that you dislike the food until you try it?

Crayon

mom son GIF

I think that's actually pretty reasonable as long as I'm not going to go asking for my money back if I don't like it. "I have no doubt those were quality monkey brains but not good enough to change my mind."

Shut0wen

Actually, thinking about it, I strongly contest the notion of Nintendo being above the rest.

Singleplayer? They are fine. But multiplayer games? Just barren on day1. Mario Party, Switch Sports, Mario Strikers and so on all featured merely a fraction of the content of each predecessor game. Basic features and characters of old games now relegated to DLC weeks/months later. Each Splatoon sequel was nearly the same game until they released meaningful DLC.
All those games literally came out fully functioning with bare minimum bugs, plus all those games dlc were free...

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sony on PC no...

Nintendo have a few bad apples too. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet and then there were the games like Mario Strikers on Switch that launched barebones with next to no content.

But in general they are both good at launching games on consoles that are in a decent state.
Sony? Wasn't Days Gone a mess for a bit after launch? How quickly we forget the GT mtx stuff too.

Nah, can't trust anyone. Just don't pre-order anything. Some games shine on release and others need a ton of work or suck. Been burned enough times to realize that I' not gonna buy anything without reading a lot of trusted reviews and watching videos before I get games.

Camreezie

Street Fighter V was 7 years ago and SFVI came out of the gate with flying colors (quite literally too lmao)

As for me.... Trust Japanese publishers. They seem to put out more reliable stuff than western devs these days. Well, besides some stragglers like square enix. You can get reasonably hyped that a game will live up to expectations. still don't be an idiot and preorder though. Never preorder jack shit.
Thats my thinking too, western devs are more preoccupied with bathroom gender politics and making masculine female character models. Japanese devs tend to focus on gameplay and quality first

digdug2

I think that's actually pretty reasonable as long as I'm not going to go asking for my money back if I don't like it. "I have no doubt those were quality monkey brains but not good enough to change my mind."
That was where I ended up as well. I played it for a couple hours, realized that it was not for me, and it's still installed on my Xbox in the event that maybe I want to try it out again. I didn't ask for a refund on it because I had an inkling that it wouldn't be my cup of tea but had to find out for myself.

I got Armored Core V on PS3 back in the day and didn't really like it, but that title is pretty universally panned, so I didn't think it was fair to not give the new one a shot.

Top Bottom