• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are sites like DF hurting the industry more than helping?

Are sites like DF hurting the industry more than helping?

• Yes

• No

• Nobody cares about DF here

• DF is just fuel for console war

Results are only viewable after voting.

T4keD0wN

Theyre informing consumers and in some cases even developers, 100% a net positive.

Those who are insecure enough to use those information for some stupid "platform warring" arguments do not deserve attention and are not to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, absolutely no. More than often, they get in touch with developers to address issues, like God of War PS4 historically having frame pacing in its 30 FPS mode (on the Pro), which SSM fixed after they reported it, just in time for launch.

3MuLIwx.png
t4wn7Nt.png

Its editorial line and its double standards when it comes to a Sony or MS product only serves to fuel the console war, last example... PS5 pro, with the latter everything is a problem but you start reading the opinions of ONE x and the tone is very different...

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Digital Foundry feeds the stupid platform wars for sure, but it's nice to know what's happening under the covers. At the start of the generation we wouldn't have had people arguing over 2 FPS and 1 second load time differences because they wouldn't have known any better.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
They’re just presenting facts as they exist. If they didn’t exist someone else would do it.
And with way more clickbait and skewing too. I don't love some aspects of DF coverage and disclosure (especially during the S/X announcement cycle), but believe me, for the niche they are as tame as it gets.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I find a lot of their technical article and videos very good, However their speculation videos are pretty bad as they are assuming based on unknown that a specific system will be worse or better than it actually is when they don't have all the facts. They tend to spin a narrative with these pieces and reinforce flamewars with guesses.

Varteras

Gold Member
If you want to identify sites like DF who clearly have a bias in the console war, then yes those sites need to go. But in general, any site like DF that attempts to inform consumers with solid performance information is definitely a positive for the industry.

You know, I have to admit that the unboxing experience for a Series X was much better than for a PS5. I would have preferred Microsoft put the money they spent on packaging into some launch games, however.

Yeah. I once got a toothy blowjob from an ugly hooker. At least she smelled nice.

MiguelItUp

I don't think they're hurting anything or anyone within the industry. If anything, it should make the industry better because it shows how many people pay attention to the things they dissect and breakdown. Especially in an industry where studios are half baking their games then some.

Holammer

Not at all, but they did open a new front in the console war when they started focusing more on console comparisons. Can't blame 'em because such videos get the clicks and bring the bacon. I watch almost everything they put out, especially the DF Retro stuff.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Motherfuckers! Only one vote for Nobody Cares About DF?

Y’all colluded against me.

Last edited:

captainpat

They’re way too niche to have any effect on the gaming industry.

The only people they have a negative effect on is console fanboys who can’t deal with facts.

Wildebeest

They served a purpose of calling out industry gaslighting where people pretended that "features" like horrible screen tearing, frame drops, high latency, and lousy non-native resolution upscaling were perfectly fine and nobody could even notice them. The extreme image quality sleuthing and microscopic level artefact hunting is still tedious to me.

Quasicat

Digital Foundry goes for the high performance crowd more times than anything, especially when they get into the weeds in their PC discussions. They don’t really pick sides as they have positive and negative things to say about all three consoles and their PC counterparts. What the fanboys want to do with this information is on them. That’s the annoying part of this industry, the people that want their plastic box to be more important than anybody else’s plastic box.

Mortisfacio

I enjoy the drama it brings. Vast majority of gamers don't care about DF or don't know what it is, unless you're terminally online or frequent gaming message boards (which is not the majority of gamers)

I also like some of the breakdowns of feature updates, like the updates to CyberPunk as overdrive or path tracing has been added and the differences that makes.

I would guess that there are a lot of devs and publishers out there who would prefer not to have their games scrutinized to the degree that DF does. For example, if you're Respawn/EA and your about to dump out Jedi Survivor in the poor state that it was in at launch you're probably wincing when you see the DF review go up.

However, DF fulfills a need for their readers to make informed decisions about their purchases, and they do a good job. In the long term, to build trust and confidence in the games and the people making them, it's probably a good thing for the industry as well as the consumers that DF exists to help folks make more informed decisions.

GametimeUK

Yup it's very interesting and I'm a grown up so it's not hard to have a PC and two consoles. I like to be informed where things are best to play.
Exactly this. I have a preference to play my PC where possible, but DF videos come in handy when games like Dead Space Remake come along and are a stuttering mess on PC.

There's no fanboy aspect to it I just buy the game on PS5 and move on.

TrebleShot

No, wtf what a stupid thing to think.
Tech analysts and people focused on the quality of products should be in every medium and rightfully so.

99.999% of gamers have never heard of DF nor would they care if they had

Even here on GAF, most people don't give a shit about DF and that's already a pretty tech-centric hardcore group of gamers

SRTtoZ

I would have expected some sort of explanation from you instead of just a 'yes or no'. Can you explain your theory as to why it's good or bad, or in between? Otherwise, there's no real conversation.

Top Bottom