• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

phaedrus

Say Anything - love this movie

One of my favorite movie lines!

IXeqzk9.gif

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I saw Transformers Rise of the Beast "This time all the whites are bad".

It was dumb. I will say it is really dumb, but better than some. I am just a sucker for the Peter Cullen Optimus Prime. Also there is a thing at the end of the movie that just made my jaw drop with laughter. Secret organization.

Muffdraul

The Matrix is my favorite movie and I was cautiously optimistic for the new one. I was enormously disappointed as you can imagine.
After I watched it, I thought, "I get it. Warner Bros went to the Wachowskis and said 'We want you to make Matrix 4.' The Wachowskis said 'No, we're not interested in doing that.' So WB said, 'Fine, we'll just make it without you then.' One of the Wachowskis shrugged 'fine, whatever' but the other one said, 'OK, OK, OK, I'll make Matrix 4. But you have to give me full control over it.' WB said, 'Sure.' Then then they got their revenge on WB by deliberately making the shittiest Matrix movie they could." It just seemed like that's literally what the plot was about.

P.S. The last movie I watched was Robin & Marian, about Robin Hood 20 years later (Sean Connery) returning from the Crusades and reuniting w/ Maid Marian (Audrey Hepburn.) From 1975 I think. I saw it once when I like 10 and always wanted to see it again. I enjoyed it as a kid, I think I enjoyed it much more now that I'm as old as Robin is supposed to be in it.

Last edited:
The Covenant: Lower budget Guy Ritchie movie with Jake Gyllenhal. Solid movie. Not amazing, but absolutely worth a watch now that it’s $6 to rent and not $20. Good performance by Dar Salim.

Wham!: Netflix documentary. Great! I didn’t know shit about Wham! and now I do. Highly entertaining, informative, and thoughtful. Recommended!

Last edited:
Locke

A man makes a mistake that spirals out of his control, and he decides the only thing he can do is take ownership of it and face the consequences. Entire film is Tom Hardy alone in a car on the highway talking on the phone.

8/10

Saw that one a couple of years ago. It was a good movie. Tom Hardy can act but it's funny how he always tries to use different voices for each of his roles

SirTerry-T

Yes, he sounded Indian half the time in this one tbh, but I’m not an expert on the nuances of the thousand different accents in the UK.
Think he was trying a Welsh accent, which is really hard to do without sounding like someone trying to do a Welsh accent (if that makes any sense).

If you want to see a great Tom Hardy film, try and track down "Stuart:A Life Backwards", with both him and Benedict Cumberbatch on top of their game.

....looks like it's up on YouTube

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Think he was trying a Welsh accent, which is really hard to do without sounding like someone trying to do a Welsh accent (if that makes any sense).

If you want to see a great Tom Hardy film, try and track down "Stuart:A Life Backwards", with both him and Benedict Cumberbatch on top of their game.

....looks like it's up on YouTube

Ah, Welsh.

Region blocked in the US, but I’ll check it out, thanks!

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

1 hour last night and the remaining 2 after waking up. I liked it a lot despite some issues.

Strangely enough I had almost no issues with my thallasophobia.

The (not so*) weirdest part of my viewer experience was that bawled my eyes out a couple times near the end. I'm guessing it triggered some underlying *deeply burrowed sorrow in me.

As well as the spiritual aspect which highly resonated.

Pretty surreal experience overall.

The visuals and designs were so good.

Fuck the trilogy setup although it had to happen.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
You might wanna look up "Devs", series made by Garland. It's weird and a bit slow, but goes into some serious philosophical stuff.....Determinism and all that jazz.
This show was great. I don't think the premise is that far-fetched at all. Behavioral predictive algorithms are already a thing, and the future-predicting fidelity shown in the show seems like where we're headed.

See the story about the lady who started getting baby product ads before she herself knew she was pregnant.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I watched City of God last night. It was really good. One scene was difficult to watch when they
get that like 11 year old to shoot and kill like an 8 year old
but the movie was really good. Its amazing what people can adapt to as part of their environment.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mystic River

I remember this being divisive at the time and I heard it was extremely bleak, so I never got around to it until now.

Sean Penn won an Academy Award for Best Actor for this performance?! Jesus Christ. Completely terrible overacting. And Clint Eastwood is in his overwrought emotionally manipulative melodrama phase here, as with Million Dollar Baby a year later. Too many plot contrivances and attempts at clumsy audience misdirection, and the resolution is miserable, unearned, and at times (Laura Linney) bizarre.

4/10

Quasicat

I went to a friends house, out of state, last week for a couple of days and each night we watched his recommended movies that I hadn’t yet seen.

First night was Edge of Tomorrow, a good Tom Cruise movie about fighting aliens mixed with the movie Groundhog’s Day.

Second was Grandma’s Boy, a pretty bad movie involving game testers for a made up video game company.

Lastly was Eurotrip, a great sex comedy involving recent high school graduates traveling to Europe with one of them wanting to meet up with a pen pal in Germany to start a relationship.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got lucky and one of the movie channels was showing The Prestige and I caught it in the first 5 minutes. Great movie. Hadnt seen it in a while. For those of you who havenet seen it, it's got Bale, Jackman, Johanson and Micahel Caine. Great cast and acting and plot about magicians doing dumb shit.

It's a weird movie for two reasons. The movie isn't chronological. It's skips around sometimes kind of like Memento or Reservoir Dogs, but not that crazy. Second, despite the plot and time line (it's London 100 years ago), it's got a creepy vibe to it. Not in a horror movie way, but it always seems what is going on in the scenes it has a eerie kind of feel to it.

It's like drama, suspense, thriller all in one.

Hot tip: IMO, Scarlett Johansson looking her best!

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Forbidden Planet (1954) - Movie is great sci fi. Interesting characters and a good story. Good antagonist and good twist. Give it a watch.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I watched City of God last night. It was really good. One scene was difficult to watch when they
get that like 11 year old to shoot and kill like an 8 year old
but the movie was really good. Its amazing what people can adapt to as part of their environment.
That was such a good movie. I think (Dont hold me to this as I havent checked..) there is a second one. I could have sworn I heard it was being made years ago..

Paltheos

I watched Tour de Pharmacy recently. Long enough back (last month) that I don't remember allot of the finer details but I thought it was a hilarious lampshading of competitive cycling.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
That was such a good movie. I think (Dont hold me to this as I havent checked..) there is a second one. I could have sworn I heard it was being made years ago..

I believe that they made a tv series after with some of thr same characters but the TV series also had some comedy or less serious elements. Then they made a movie from the TV series

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I believe that they made a tv series after with some of thr same characters but the TV series also had some comedy or less serious elements. Then they made a movie from the TV series
Ah, I did not know that, i'll still give it a watch even if it is a bit comedic, it's probably still better than most dross these days :messenger_sunglasses:

I watched Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves on Paramount Plus. It is a medieval fantasy action comedy. It has a charismatic cast and great action scenes. It also has much better pacing than the Hobbit Trilogy. The pudgy dragon scene is the funniest shit I have seen in years.

Last edited:

Fbh

8f31a86729c0a7beb58c2658473309fc.jpg

4/10

Didn't really like it. I generally like Wes Anderson movies, and this one has a great cast and his usual distinct visual style and weird characters which I enjoy.
But I guess the point of the movie just went way over my head. Even reading a bit about it online afterwards the best conclusion I get is that "it's supposed to not make sense" which I guess some people might enjoy but to me gets into the pretentious artsy territory which I don't like.

Picard season 3. Maybe it's not a movie but it sure felt like a 10-hour movie considering the production values. Really really good stuff.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What screenshot? 👀

I have this guy on Patreon who watches mainsteam (hiphop etc) through a occult/ritual lens. I couldn't share his take on (prolly Patreon onky) Jamie so i posted a screen so if anybody was interested they could look him up on his podcast.

That's all.

But I get why it was deleted and shouldn't have posted it in the first place.

Last edited:
I have this guy on Patreon who watches mainsteam (hiphop etc) through a occult/ritual lens. I couldn't share his take on (prolly Patreon onky) Jamie so i posted a screen so if anybody was interested they could look him up on his podcast.

That's all.

But I get why it was deleted and shouldn't have posted it in the first place.

That's understandable

Thought it would be something Spicier 😏

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Seeing i can't PM you.

gvEr66C.jpg

He's on Spotify as well. And funny af.

Mods feel free to remove if deemed necessary.

Not my intention to antagonize. Sincerely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom