• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else who dont understand the appeal of Double Dragon?

Griffon

Double Dragon 1 and 2 on gameboy were awesome. Both had cool link-cable multiplayer modes, 1 was a versus mode and 2 was full coop.

And then yeah, if you want a more modern take, Double Dragon Neon is great and worth playing today.

Last edited:

Fredrik

DD in the arcade was the best looking beat em up graphically by far. Fantastic OST. Then got ported to home consoles. Each sequel was a dramatic improvement. It was popular because they were some of the best games at the time. Also Super DD is one of the most realistic martial arts games on the SNES by far. DD GBA also 100% holds up.
It was a looker on Amiga 500 as well, for the time, I remember it receiving the ”Screen Star” award in the biggest computer mag in my country, Datormagazinet. Probably played like shit compared to the arcade but I only played it on the Amiga so I only have fond memories of it.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
If we are comparing it to today's standards sure then it's not very good. It's simplistic, very linear with a mediocre story. Of course if you play it now, it's not going to hold up.

But if using context and the standards of the time, it was very good.

That was a good question to ask in 1995, maybe even earlier, but today? Double Dragon hasn't been a thing since the early '90s.

As to why it was so popular, it was to beat 'em ups what Doom was for first person shooters, and what Street Fighter II was for fighting games. The original arcade releases laid the foundation for the genre and popularized it. They were also ported on everything possible and received numerous sequels of varying degrees.

cormack12

Gold Member
I remember these

tiger-electronic---handheld-game---double-dragon-ii-the-revenge-p-image-261740-grande.jpg

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never understood the appeal of beat em ups period. Punch a few dudes, move to the next screen, punch a few dudes, move to the next screen, repeat ad nauseam. Incredibly repetitive, incredibly boring.

amigastar

Double Dragon 1 and 2 on gameboy were awesome. Both had cool link-cable multiplayer modes, 1 was a versus mode and 2 was full coop.

And then yeah, if you want a more modern take, Double Dragon Neon is great and worth playing today.
Yeah, i've had Double Dragon on the game boy. I remember liking it. then i lend it to a guy and never got it back.

yurinka

I always found the DD games to be stiff, frustrating and definitely not fun.

You have like 2 moves and only useful one seems to be the elbow smash.

Honestly I would rather play any other beat em up than any DD game. It still baffles me to this day how it became so popular.
We're in 2021, not in 1988. Back then, Double Dragon had great visuals, OST and gameplay. Back then was a big improvement over what it was made until then in the genre, so it became a big hit.

The Double Dragon games have more moves and you can use different weapons, specially I remember it for Super Double Dragon. I also remember that in Double Dragon II for NES (my favorite one) a cool one that was a very powerful knee attack that was performed by tapping the front attack button on wake up when landing after a jump (or specifically flying kick, not sure now).

Double Dragon was a big improvement over Renegade, made by the same people and the grandfather or the genre. But soon after Double Dragon, in 1989 Final Fight was released improving way more the visuals and gameplay of the genre, setting a new standard followed by more beat'em ups, being my favorite ones the ones made by Capcom, Konami and Sega like TMNT, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Alien vs Predator or Streets of Rage.

Last edited:

Agent X

DD in the arcade was the best looking beat em up graphically by far. Fantastic OST. Then got ported to home consoles. Each sequel was a dramatic improvement. It was popular because they were some of the best games at the time. Also Super DD is one of the most realistic martial arts games on the SNES by far. DD GBA also 100% holds up.

It gained a strong reputation because it was pretty advanced for its time. A 2 player beat 'em up where you could pick up weapons, attack your partner, walk on different planes, knock enemies into pits for quick kills/throw them over ledges etc all made the game feel very novel for its time. It was also a decent looker with some great tunes. Double Dragon II was better still.

It aged quickly and poorly though. The year after Double Dragon II you had Final Fight, Golden Axe and TMNT, all of which absolutely blew DD away in terms of visuals and mechanics, even though they all owed it debt in numerous ways.

I agree with both of these. It was a big hit in the arcades because it had some advanced (for the time) play mechanics compared to its contemporaries, and also allowed two players to play simultaneously.

As Neff Neff pointed out, games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage came soon afterward, took the formula and improved upon it. Meanwhile, Double Dragon languished in the mid 90s, as some of the games of that time veered into one-on-one fighting games (like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat) instead of continuing to evolve the formula that brought them to the dance.

Over the last two decades, there were some revivals that tried to get the series back on track, with varying level of success. I really think that Double Dragon Advance on Game Boy Advance is an amazing effort that stands as one of the best Double Dragon games, as well as one of the best GBA games. Double Dragon Neon is loads of fun, too.

It was a looker on Amiga 500 as well, for the time, I remember it receiving the ”Screen Star” award in the biggest computer mag in my country, Datormagazinet. Probably played like shit compared to the arcade but I only played it on the Amiga so I only have fond memories of it.

I've never played the original Amiga version myself, but someone is working on a new version of the game for Amiga.

Here's a video of this new version, which is still in development.

dem

Double Dragon was the epitome of cool and it defined the genre. Mohawks, Cutoff Jean jackets, and ninja weapons.

And then a bunch of games came out that destroyed it. Ninja Turtles and Simpsons arcade game came out a couple years later and were mind blowing. Arcades back then we’re so fucking bangin.

Last edited:
Can't expect games from 80's to have customizable moves, lots of stats and NPCs.

Still better being stiff than having QTEs, constant updates and lootboxes.

NT80

It was great for it's time. I used to play a lot of the NES version of Double Dragon 2 with a friend and thought it was one of the best games ever back then. It was unique for a beat 'em up in that it had platforming and environmental hazards that cause you to change the way you play. It had more moves than most others then too and just never felt repetitive like some of these games could get. Also good bosses. DD Advance was also quite impressive with a much larger moveset than other DDs and really good use of weapons. I never played Super DD or DD Neon.

Fredrik

I've never played the original Amiga version myself, but someone is working on a new version of the game for Amiga.

Here's a video of this new version, which is still in development.

Okay that was a couple thousand times better than the original Amiga version! 👌

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nah, DD is awesome, at least some of them are. Even the "worst" one, (DD3 on the NES) is an awesome game with fantastic graphics and combat, its fatal flaw is that it's ungodly difficult, gives you like 1 life and maybe 1 continue. It's just too brutal. Playing with codes to simply experience the game is a lot of fun. I beat the genesis version when I was a kid but I remember the NES version more than the Genesis one.

Super Double Dragon on the SNES is a seriously underrated beat-em-up. It is relatively slow compared to Final Fight and SOR but Super Double Dragon has a ton of moves and melee weapons. Blocking and then catching an enemy's punch will allow you to back hand the shit out of them and it's so damn satisfying. Or you can catch their punch and throw them, the power meter allows for different attacks based on how charged it is, etc.

Fantastic OST in all the games too.

Also, a lot of people consider DD2: The Revenge to be the greatest beat-em-up of all time. The fighting mechanics in it are pretty crazy, the back kick, spinning over enemies, etc.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Name another game where your girl takes a gut punch in the first scene.
Absolutely. That scene was all the motivation you needed to pop a quarter in the arcade and then rent/buy it on the NES.

Seeing her take that punch and then get flung over the guys shoulder, underwear showing and all. It was just infuriating. "I must rescue her!" is all that was going through my 6 year old mind, lol.

Tuff McNutt

Still one of my favorites. I play the arcade version pretty regularly. And DD2 is also great once you get the hang of the left/right attack control scheme.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Honestly I would rather play any other beat em up than any DD game. It still baffles me to this day how it became so popular.
Have you played the GBA Double Dragon? I'd say that's the best one in the series by far.

pramod

Banned
Ok so I just popped in Double Dragon 2 arcade on emulator just now to see maybe I was wrong and this is really a great game that somehow I just didn't understand....nope.

I can't even get through the first stage. Whenever I want my character to just walk up and punch someone, he kicks in the other direction. I can't even get him to attack in the direction I want to, WTF?

And what's up with the horrible slowdown? At first I thought it was an emulator problem, but nope looks like even the original arcade hardware had it.

Maybe I"m just beating a dead horse...but maybe it's just one of those weird things in life some people like and others don't...like cilantro.

Last edited:

plushyp

DD2 Nes is perhaps the first time I took notice of how a game can have cool moments like how the final blow would be b/w with slow motion:

The GBA port of the first game is excellent and still plays well, perhaps better than many other brawlers that came after it:

Last edited:

Knightime_X

DD arcade - Didn't care for any of them
DD1 - NES - Take it or leave it.
DD2 - NES - My favorite
DD3 - NES - Trash
Super DD - SNES - It was ok for its time

Double Dragon IV is surprisingly fun.
I just wished there was one attack that would link. It would make for a sick 4 hit combo.
Other than that, gameplay wise I like it over dd2.

TLZ

Banned

Double Dragon II on NES is fantastic. And it's not just one move. It's the best Double Dragon imo.

A close second is Double Dragon Neon. Have you tried it? You might like this one since you can level up and has more moves.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I've never understood the appeal of beat em ups period. Punch a few dudes, move to the next screen, punch a few dudes, move to the next screen, repeat ad nauseam. Incredibly repetitive, incredibly boring.
You can reduce pretty much anything to its most basic characteristics and make it sound bad.

This was a fun co-op game for its time. It was also very challenging. The first one featured an experience-based level-up system that allowed you to learn new moves. It was one of the first games that let you grab weapons from enemies and use them, and the original NES version also featured a two-player Vs. mode that wasn't really like anything else at the time. It didn't hurt that the game also had excellent music backing it up as well.

SLB1904

Banned

it was big in the 90s where the martial arts movies where hot

Good games (fun co-op beat em up adventures) DD1 & DD2...

I have played some more recent DDs too on SNES and also NEO, but never really got into those.

dcx4610

You had to be there. I can't imagine someone playing it now and finding it fun.

Seeing those graphics in the arcade and just punching and kicking people was satifsying and unique at the time. The slow down made it virtually unplayable though but back then, that was just part of the game and you didn't know any better. I honestly prefer the NES game just because of the power up system and music.

Double Dragon II on the NES however I feel is a fantastic game and I still get hooked into playing it today. Great controls, music and one of the most satisfying endings from the NES days. Plus, nothing feels quite as good as hitting someone with that flying knee. But for beat 'em ups in general, I think they peaked with Final Fight, Streets of Rage, TMNT and X-Men.

teezzy

Banned
The Battletoads crossover on the NES was sublime though ngl. The best game in each of their respective franchises

Was actually like the second or third game I ever owned. Got quite rare as time went on

Top Bottom