• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else who dont understand the appeal of Double Dragon?

pramod

Banned
I always found the DD games to be stiff, frustrating and definitely not fun.

You have like 2 moves and only useful one seems to be the elbow smash.

Honestly I would rather play any other beat em up than any DD game. It still baffles me to this day how it became so popular.

I really don't get it myself. I even tried to play them again later on in life to see if maybe I just 'missed' anything good about them. Nope.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I hate all beaten ups that are not power rangers. Like, literally a corridor with invisible walls that only go down when you beat a random number of enemies, that often goes off screen, and moves in a bizarre perspective.

Beechos

I grew up in the 80's and that shit was badass when i was a kid. Ninjas and karate were the rage, you also have to compare it to what was out also during that time. I was playing kung fu on the nes, double dragon compared to that was like gta-->gta v. There were some other beat em ups back then but were all trash compared to that. Also the music was awesome too. I think only the 1st one was good maybe the 2nd but the rest was trash.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
DD in the arcade was the best looking beat em up graphically by far. Fantastic OST. Then got ported to home consoles. Each sequel was a dramatic improvement. It was popular because they were some of the best games at the time. Also Super DD is one of the most realistic martial arts games on the SNES by far. DD GBA also 100% holds up.

Last edited:

Beechos

Yeah they all came after but just because a game was earlier doesn't mean that it was good. It was also a crazy quarter muncher that didn't give you much for your money's worth.
I got my moneys worth the secret was to elbow everyone lol, the ninja gaiden arcade game on the other hand.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
LOBOTOMIZED INDIVIDUAL ALERT! Or just an ignorant child? Maybe both? Anyone who criticizes games from the golden era must be offered as a sacrifice to a pack of hungry vultures.

DD was KING KONG level badassery and it just brought back good ol memories, like

BOP N RUMBLE!

Jesus you could disarm dogs by tickling them, twist off ppls ears, hitting gorillas with your chest etc. DD and BopNRumble what a fucking masterpiece, both of them.

Mother Russia Bleeds was one fucking good game in this genre. I don't know wtf happened to the devs, but someone should beat some sense into them, coz a followup is very much needed.

Devs just need to check what happened in the 80s and 90s, early 2000s and just copy those games. What a fucking goldmine.

If I see another static street onanism/mortal fifa style beatemup I just have to vomit...

pramod

Banned
I'm not saying it's a horrible game but there were much better made games in that Era that didn't go on to have a ton of sequels and even a movie. It's popularity was just baffling to me. Was it mainly because of the "realistic" depiction of street violence?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not saying it's a horrible game but there were much better made games in that Era that didn't go on to have a ton of sequels and even a movie. It's popularity was just baffling to me. Was it mainly because of the "realistic" depiction of street violence?
Its because of the first game in the arcade. Was literally one of the best looking games out.

DryvBy

Honestly I would rather play any other beat em up than any DD game. It still baffles me to this day how it became so popular.

I've been making a list of my top 100 games and Double Dragon II is in that list still (currently at least).

Double Dragon is for arcade kids who enjoyed beat em ups. The appeal is from using both brothers in co-op games. The amount of violence in these old games were significant for us NES kids and the two buttons worked for back in the day.

Beat em ups in general are mostly couch co-op games that might not seem like they have a lot of strategy and that's because they don't. They're the equivalent of an 80s action movie with Van Damme. Ever seen Double Impact? It's the same thing. Dumb fun. And you can throw a big headed mutant Hulk Hogan from a plane door. Are you still not getting it?

Who even talks about this franchise anymore

It’s up there with golden axe and gauntlet as games that were good for their time

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I don't recall any co-op games like it really until it came out, was it the first?. Not sure we would have ever got final fight from capcom without DD though. Also the NES version seems to get a lot of hype.

Why did Super Mario Bros get so popular when we have games like GTA V and Call of Duty?
You can't really compare them though, those are different genres with different roots. If you're going to strawman, atleast do something like comparing Call of Duty to Wolfenstein or Doom.

And besides SMB isn't even that original (Pac-Land was made prior), and Nintendo only saved the industry in the US (Brits had PC's and the Master System, The Japanese had tons of arcade games and even if the Famicom was a massive success, they could've done without it) anyways.

baphomet

You can't really compare them though, those are different genres with different roots. If you're going to strawman, atleast do something like comparing Call of Duty to Wolfenstein or Doom.

And besides SMB isn't even that original (Pac-Land was made prior), and Nintendo only saved the industry in the US (Brits had PC's and the Master System, The Japanese had tons of arcade games and even if the Famicom was a massive success, they could've done without it) anyways.

Congrats on completely missing the point.

Beechos

It was a bit of everything back then the arcade graphics for this game were top tier, amazing soundtrack, everyone in the 80s also had a fascination with karate/ninjas cleaning up crime whether in cinema or gaming.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Always been a fan of the double dragon series, the reasoning i think comes down to it was always on show at my local arcade/shop when i was a kid.

It was always part of the same group of games that included, Eswat, robocop, golden axe, afterbuner, etc etc

Orta

Banned
It was a highly impressionable 'cool' game at the time but I always thought it was a very limited rigid pile of shite.

Neff

It gained a strong reputation because it was pretty advanced for its time. A 2 player beat 'em up where you could pick up weapons, attack your partner, walk on different planes, knock enemies into pits for quick kills/throw them over ledges etc all made the game feel very novel for its time. It was also a decent looker with some great tunes. Double Dragon II was better still.

It aged quickly and poorly though. The year after Double Dragon II you had Final Fight, Golden Axe and TMNT, all of which absolutely blew DD away in terms of visuals and mechanics, even though they all owed it debt in numerous ways.

pramod

Banned
It gained a strong reputation because it was pretty advanced for its time. A 2 player beat 'em up where you could pick up weapons, attack your partner, walk on different planes, knock enemies into pits for quick kills/throw them over ledges etc all made the game feel very novel for its time. It was also a decent looker with some great tunes. Double Dragon II was better still.

It aged quickly and poorly though. The year after Double Dragon II you had Final Fight, Golden Axe and TMNT, all of which absolutely blew DD away in terms of visuals and mechanics, even though they all owed it debt in numerous ways.
Yeah I think that's my impression. I didn't get into arcade games until 1988 or so, and by that time Golden Axe and Final Fight were already in the arcades, and there was absolutely no reason to play Double Dragon anymore.

UnNamed

Banned
DD was a child of its time, now it's just a stiff game. Final Fight aged better in comparison.
But after all, in mid 80, every arcade action game was stiff, for example G'nG, Black Tiger, Tiger Road, etc.

I loved DD II on my NES, even with just 2 buttons it had better gameplay than some modern games.
I remember at least back kick, punch, jump kick, that 360 jump kick, uppercut, knee jump kick, grab + throw or ellbow or upperkick + melee/throwing weapons and grenades. Also environmental kills. That's already more than what Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps And Beans had to offer.

• Fire
Reactions: TLZ

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah it was bad and everything people attribute to it in terms of genre/tech, Kunio Kun did first, so really, the genre doesn't owe shit to that and we'd have gotten all the greats that followed even if it had never existed.

It's true many other games may feel stiff, outdated, or whatever else but hey, if beat 'em ups couldn't be done properly yet then I'd rather play genres that did work well already instead of something newer that doesn't.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

I really don't get it myself. I even tried to play them again later on in life to see if maybe I just 'missed' anything good about them. Nope.
I hate all beaten ups that are not power rangers. Like, literally a corridor with invisible walls that only go down when you beat a random number of enemies, that often goes off screen, and moves in a bizarre perspective.

Vomit inducing posts. Ignorant little shits.

Vomit Throw Up GIF by Foo Fighters

Didn’t it essentially start the beat-em-up craze and delivered it with great graphics, an amazing soundtrack and realistic sounds? Sure, it wasn’t perfect, but it stood out from the crowd, was quite unique and was very fun imo. I think it came out leagues better than Street Fighter 1 did at least.

Toots

Gold Member
I had tried streets of rage before playing Double D, and my first thought was how can anyone have fun with such a limited gameplay… But i can understand how it was a genre-defining game when it first came out.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
DD was awesome it was like playing an 80s action movie our imaginations would run wild
and we'd dream up different plots and add our own subtext to the fights it was endless fun really
Completely dropped the series when Streets of Rage came out though

ShadowNate

This was so fun playing with a friend back in the day. Then again, we had fun watching our guys die in funny ways, and we would even attack each other for a few laughs.

The final boss(es) can go fuck themselves of course. And, yeah, it doesn't hold up at all today.

Holammer

Maybe it feels like a weak game now, but when it came out it represented the apex of videogame design in its genre. It was such a hit they ported DD to every console and microcomputer at the time and it inspired the development of Golden Axe and other clones.

You had to be there or at least consider the historical context.

Vandole

I don't find it fun anymore, and that's why I don't play it now, but in 1987 holy crap!!! A co-player beat em up where you and your best friend could take on a giant gang of thugs? Who couldn't love that? At least until you accidentally hit your friend with the baseball bat while trying to save him, and then he yells at you, and then the two you get into a heated fight and never talk to each other for the rest of your lives...

.... yeah I don't like double Dragon anymore.

SkylineRKR

I think they're bad. The arcade games that is. They're quarter munchers even worse than Konami beat em ups. But the NES versions were actually fun games.

Final Fight and esp. SoR didn't come out that much later and they gave DD a run for its money.

Top Bottom