• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody Peacing Out This Gen?

Skipping this gen?

• Total voters

Patrick S.

Banned
Kinda. I've got an RTX 3080 and a PS5. The PS5 was a Christmas gift for my son and I have not played one single second with the PS5. I kinda stopped caring about consoles around the time I got my new GPU for some reason. I'll get Gran Turismo 7 for sure when it comes out, though.

lachesis

It's same as any launch. Shortly after launch usually there's period of draught for about a year or two. I doubt this would be any different.
During that time is perfect time to enjoy the library you built up. Visiting older games, back compat games, pc games or whatnot.
And to be honest, since I'm rather selective of what I play - pretty much works out fine in any cases... although I tend to gather up a bit of backlog, but not too much.

_Ex_

Ace Combat 7 is one of the most underrated games of 2019 for me, I loved it.

Flight simulators in general are underrated, unfortunately.

It would take me many paragraphs to articulate why as the generations go on, I become less and less interested. I realize that people my age are not the target demographic of modern gaming, and that demographic tastes change, I get all of that. That said, there's still loads of older games from previous generations I am very interested in. So my ratio these days tends to be 80% "retro" and 20% "modern". Well, it works.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I dont understand your definition of peacing out.

I thought it was going to be about quitting gaming.

Playing retro games is still gaming.
Yeah, there are soooo many games already out that it must be physically impossible to have played them all.

Too bad there's people that only considers playing new games, as if older games got worse with time or something.

HeadsUp7Up

No I will definitely be all in on next gen. After the launch hype has died down I'm ok with not jumping in for a couple of years now though. I sold my PS4 Pro so I'm missing out on Playstation games right now but the Xbox One X was a really good system that should hold me over for a while. Hopefully I can hold out long enough to get the first PS5 console revision.

spons

Gold Member
Anyone actually have a choice in this? Next-gen consoles aren't available and neither are the new GPUs. Gaming got a wiff of the ol' corona virus and it's barely hanging on.

Quasicat

it's too early to say i will skip it but this is the first generation that i haven't got a console at launch.

PS1 - got at launch
PS2 - got at launch
PS3 - got at launch
PS4 - got at launch
PS5 - lol i'll wait until the Slim revision before deciding if it's worth buying yet.

This is where I’m at with a PS5. I always buy them at launch and then pick up the Slim models because I like the way they look better than the original models. I’m planning on waiting a bit; I guess we will see what exclusives there are in a couple of years.

So I’ve noticed some recent posts about CRTs and people generally complaining about the current state of gaming. Is anyone skipping this gen? Personally I’m digging through my backlog of retro games. I’m mostly interested the in backward compatibility of the new consoles. I have zero interest in next gen titles.
I think its way to early to come to this conclusion.

Historically, when a console launches it has always been slow to get new games in the first 2 years but I think the positive thing about these new consoles is that they have made it easier and better in most cases to playing older games. Just look at things like PS collection and game pass, if you didn't own a PS4 or Xbox one you have tons of things to play at a low cost until more native next gen games get released.

However, if you are a "hardcore" gamer that has played all of the top games on both Xbox and PS4 then it might make sense to wait to get a new console which isn't a new problem that most console launches face. Being a early adopter to a new console as always come with the understanding that you will have to wait to see the full potential and games for that new system.

I'm not going to buy a nextgen console to play lastgen games at 4k 60 or 1000 fps I dont care about back compat so until they start shipping actual nextgen games then I'll Ben interested as fr now these machines are just art installations.

No way, too much good stuff on the way. So far we've mostly only seen the crossgen games, but by 2022 we are going to have too many blockbusters to afford. Besides the quality of life upgrades on these new consoles (loading and speed) has been a breath of fresh air. I might be playing mostly BC games right now, but I have been playing much more than I was with my Xbox One X or PS4 Pro just because things load instantly. Microsoft's BC upgrades also have me really enjoying a bunch of games that I never got around to or that I never finished. I am also excited to play Demon Souls and Miles Morales as soon as I can get my hands on a PS5.

Silvawuff

Dunno why there has to be a binary here. It's a huge hobby and there are other ways to engage it besides looking at a few cons behind it and deciding to quit an entire generation.

Yeah, I'm frustrated about PS5s being almost unobtainable. I'm playing an internal meta game to see if I get my covid shot first or PS5 first -- both are stupid rare and hard to find.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
No, I just went PC this gen. Built mine about a month ago now. I will also almost certainly get the next Nintendo when a Xenoblade game comes out for it.

I was initially going to get a PS5 when we learned of it early last year, but a lot of Sony’s actions in the last year made me lose interest, and even to the point of never buying any of their products again.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Have been on pc for quite a few years now see no reason to jump into this gen.

No interesting exclusives, those there are comes to pc as well.
Plus I prefer mouse and keyboard and 120 fps gaming with g sync on.

molasar

Banned
Yes, it seems so.

There is nothing special so far that this gen has to offer to me.

Also I have a gaming PC (not the high end by today's standards) but it will suffice for games I am mostly into like Lunark, Bushiden, Okinawa Rush, Demons of Asteborg, Metro Siege or Battle Axe.

Last edited:
I already have a PS5 and loving it but even if I would have wanted to skip it, with Ratchet and Clank releasing soon there is no way my girlfriend would have let us not have a PS5

Gamerguy84

Nope got a PS5,4,3. I am thinking about buying a PS1 digital which has a great HDMI mod on it and gives the cleanest signal.

In terms of consoles? Probably, unless Gran Turismo 7 has an epic single player mode like 3 or 4. In terms of games? Nah, i don't buy anywhere near as many new games as i once did but if something good comes out on PC i'll get it.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Hell no!
giphy.gif

Spokker

No, I knew the first year would be reliant on BC and remasters and shit. However, by fall 2021 I want to see at least one exclusive killer app on each console. Then by fall 2022 there are no more excuses.

Last edited:

Closer

If "Skipping this gen" is skipping PS5/XSX then yes. Else, I still play on my PC and thank God for backlog.

Yamisan

I got a Ps5 but this is the first time ever I'll be skipping out on the Xbox consoles. My xbone has been in my closet for 3 + years. They haven't released a decent Xbox exclusive in so long its not worth it, the upcoming Halo looks horrible and isn't worth a console.

MastAndo

I'll probably end up getting a PS5, but this definitely the farthest I've felt from needing to own at least one next-gen console. I'm still checking daily to see if it's in stock anywhere, but having a good gaming PC and all, I'm seeing next to no need for it. I'm not even seeing any games on the horizon that I would consider "must haves".

If MLB The Show ends up being significantly better on PS5, I may have to be more aggressive about nabbing one though.

Fbh

Not really but I'm currently in no rush to jump on Next gen.
Aside from Demon Souls there's nothing out now nor in the near future that is hyping me enough to want a Ps5. A lot of the games I'm looking forward to this year will be playable on my current hardware and while they won't run as smoothly I think they'll still offer a comparable experience. And I also still have months worth of games to play that I didn't have the time or money to play in 2020/2019: Ghost of Tsushima, 13 Sentinels, Ori, Tony hawk, Yakuza 7, Nioh 2, Crash 4, Immortals, Disco Elysium, A Plague Tale, disco Elysium ,etc

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
No but i'm not in a rush either.The only next gen game currently out that i really want to play is Demon's Souls. So i'm currently enjoying and appreciating what i have and i will probably jump in sometime next year.

Orta

Banned
If PSVR2 is worth it I'll buy a PS5 in a few years time. If not I won't bother, I only bought around five ps4 games and barely played them anyway. Xbox, no interest whatsoever.

Yeah I've 100% decided to peace out this gen. Because obviously Corona is the end of all things and video games will cease to exists and development has completely stopped. I will be throwing out a tantrum, yell and scream because clearly I do not have a normal human understanding of the current work conditions that developers who are also normal people like me have to go through. Also the CRT tvs are so far technologically advanced that these 4K games at 60FPS have no match looking as good as those games on CRT tvs using a 3080 RTX.

/s

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
If Microsoft were to show off that they acquired Japanese studios and publishers like Square Enix, Falcom, or Sega, then I would immediately upgrade my Xbox consoles.

Naked Lunch

Peacing out?
No - im just not jumping in until this gen actually gets started.
There is simply nothing worth getting until at least Fall 2021.

I spent my 2020 nextgen funds towards everdrives, upscalers, emulators, and scart cables - focusing mostly on real hardware. My gaming setup is ridiculous at the moment.

Even when I do get Series X and PS5 - its going to have to be something really special to compete with that.

Mr Hyde

No, I'm all in. I think it will be a wonderful generation. The hardware is so good now that gaming is starting to come alive now with proper framerates and fidelity. BC is making last gen games shine too. But given the way the industry is moving, with aggressive monetization, all digital and streaming/subscription services, I reckon this will be my last before turning to retro.

Top Bottom