• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Mackie Closes Deal To Star In Disney/Marvel’s ‘Captain America 4’ Film

sol_bad

People said Avengers would be a failure and it'd never work.
People said Guardians of the Galaxy would be a failure and it'd never work.
People (YouTube) said Captain Marvel would be a failure and destroy the MCU. It made 1.13 billion and the next movie after it is the #2 grossing movie of all time.

People on Youtube still call Captain Marvel a failure, boggles my mind. The new thing to say is that it was such a huge failure they had to change the sequels name to The Marvels.
o_O

ManaByte

Gold Member
People on Youtube still call Captain Marvel a failure, boggles my mind. The new thing to say is that it was such a huge failure they had to change the sequels name to The Marvels.
o_O

Yea it's not like there are three Captain Marvel characters in the sequel or anything. It's not like they included all three of their logos in the title or anything.

LEpZF4Lf95cAvFnwH86H6g.jpeg

We're getting a black Iron Girl soon in the MCU

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
We're getting a black Iron Girl soon in the MCU
... in a Disney+ series, which is setting up Young Avengers (the twins introduced in WandaVision, Kid Loki in Loki, Ms. Marvel in her show, Kate Bishop in Hawkeye, America Chavez is in Dr. Strange, Cassie Lang is in Ant Man 3, and then Ironheart in her show).

Last edited:
... in a Disney+ series, which is setting up Young Avengers (the twins introduced in WandaVision, Kid Loki in Loki, Ms. Marvel in her show, Kate Bishop in Hawkeye, America Chavez is in Dr. Strange, Cassie Lang is in Ant Man 3, and then Ironheart in her show).
most of us will probably be dead from covid before young avengers becomes a reality tho

sol_bad

Riri Williams, aka Ironheart.
I have heard the initial comics for her were not very good but the 2018 series written by Eve Ewing is very good. I haven't read anything of Ironheart yet.

I dunno, I like him but as a leading character it always feels a bit forced. I prefer him in supporting roles. Point Blank and Outside the Wire kind of cemented that for me with Mackie. There was some really cool stuff there, especially the latter, but it all just came off sort of hamfisted. The guy is awesome and I want to like him in lead roles but they just never deliver that "it" when it's given to him. Perhaps CAP4 will change that but I have doubts.

NahaNago

His daughter isn't even in the Hawkeye series.
Makes more sense to introduce her mainly in a movie so folks won't be forced to watch the tv shows. Wasn't it said that you could watch just the movies and you would be good.
Riri Williams, aka Ironheart.
I have heard the initial comics for her were not very good but the 2018 series written by Eve Ewing is very good. I haven't read anything of Ironheart yet.
I was wondering if they were going to make an holographic a.i version of Tony Stark that could have been a back up for Tony. I remember hearing a lot of negativity over Riri Williams in the past but now I hear pretty much nothing about her. Just because of the name War machine I want a war machine movie.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I barely made it through the first ep of Falcon and the Winter Soldier. So Cap 4 will most likely be another rental for me.

NahaNago

I barely made it through the first ep of Falcon and the Winter Soldier. So Cap 4 will most likely be another rental for me.
Same on barely getting through the first episode. All this talk of falcon though has me wanting to go back and try again.

What is up with the tv shows. Like I have a hard time getting through the first episode on all of these Marvel shows. I've only finished Loki and I had to force myself to get past the first episode. It was mostly smooth sailing after the first episode though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Makes more sense to introduce her mainly in a movie so folks won't be forced to watch the tv shows. Wasn't it said that you could watch just the movies and you would be good.

No they always said the shows are flowing into the movies. If you go see Captain America 4 without seeing Falcon you won't understand why he's Cap. If you go see Doctor Strange 2 without seeing Loki the Multiverse makes no sense.

People said Avengers would be a failure and it'd never work.
People said Guardians of the Galaxy would be a failure and it'd never work.
People (YouTube) said Captain Marvel would be a failure and destroy the MCU. It made 1.13 billion and the next movie after it is the #2 grossing movie of all time.
How about we wait to see how the Phase 4 movies do? Captain Marvel was the movie that preceded the second Thanos movie. It would have done well nonetheless. I’m curious about Shang Chi. Black Widow already fared poorly as the first Phase 4 movie.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You guys are fans. Of course you’re going to push back. But you’ve already acknowledged there is a decline happening, so we are essentially on the same page. You’re just defensive about it. Look, we can talk about whether we think the new movies will be good, but ultimately we will just have to wait and see.

Culturally, MCU is not going to occupy the same space. Maybe someday they will again, but they’re going to have to earn it now. For a while it was a forgone conclusion every time they put out a new film. It was going to be the talk of the town, make tons of money. A real cultural phenomenon. That won’t be true going forward. At least for a while.
COOOONSOOOOOOOM

Nico_D

Sam Wilson is a really boring character and Mackie isn't able to make him any more interesting. Not much there in the charisma department.

The tv show was pretty bad already, Sebastian Stan carried what he could.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I was wondering if they were going to make an holographic a.i version of Tony Stark that could have been a back up for Tony. I remember hearing a lot of negativity over Riri Williams in the past but now I hear pretty much nothing about her. Just because of the name War machine I want a war machine movie.

They're introducing Kate Bishop in the Hawkeye show... She's replacing Barton.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Glad Mackie is getting that pay day; criminally under-used. Winter Solider and Civil Ware are among my favourites of the MCU; I hope they do something interesting with the character and we get another solid movie in that lineage.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Same on barely getting through the first episode. All this talk of falcon though has me wanting to go back and try again.

What is up with the tv shows. Like I have a hard time getting through the first episode on all of these Marvel shows. I've only finished Loki and I had to force myself to get past the first episode. It was mostly smooth sailing after the first episode though.

Yeah I'll give it another shot when I finally get Disney+. Maybe it'll hit me differently a second time.

I can't speak on PretenderVision or Loki as I haven't seen either one.

ZywyPL

Banned
The MCU is in a decline now. How steep will be determined later, but the peak was Infinity War. Now it is declining from incredible heights, so it’s got a long way to go before irrelevancy. We will see over the next 2-3 years how fast it falls.

I feel exactly the same. It's like they weren't aware how HUGE the franchise will become and how much sympathy people will have for the characters, and ended the saga too early with the End Game and now they're trying to milk it as much as possible while the actors aren't too old yet. The recent Black Widow for example, I fail to understand what was the point of this movie, what it added to the storyline, like, absolutely nothing would happened if the movie never existed, same for Loki or TF&TWS. All the post-End Game stuff feels to me like it's LTTP, the hype is over, it's gone, at least for me personally.

NahaNago

No they always said the shows are flowing into the movies. If you go see Captain America 4 without seeing Falcon you won't understand why he's Cap. If you go see Doctor Strange 2 without seeing Loki the Multiverse makes no sense.
weird, I swore I could have remembered hearing that you didn't need to watch the tv shows but that was way before the tv shows ever came out. Now I google it and Kevin says they shows continue into the movies.

Soodanim

Gold Member
But it's not a decline. It's the start of a new phase and a new build up to another 10 year event movie.
This is what I came to say. It’s not a new chapter, it’s an entirely new book. It’s going to take some time, and they have their work cut out because they have the challenge of replacing Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Panther and making people care about the replacements.

Dr Strange and Spider-Man have the best chance (and biggest job) of the upcoming movies. We haven’t seen the full extent of Strange yet, and as crossover characters between sagas their movies get the job of both boosting their status because of the gaps created and setting up what’s to come.

There’s lots of people here that are bored of the MCU, but I’m not one of them. I still enjoy the universe they’ve created, and it’s only getting bigger. I’m invested. I’m not expecting cinematic greats, I’m expecting comic books on the big screen and that’s always what I’ve gotten.

Kev Kev

I think this is a mistake

The next gen of marvel is going to be up against a wall, as far as getting people to accept them. What I would have done is have more characters most people don’t know about, like the Asian guy doing the ten rings movie or whatever it’s called. Make them the under dogs and give people a reason to root for them and what to like them.

But hey if it’s good then who cares! I’m pretty easy to entertain so I’ll probably be one of those weird ones that likes them all while everyone else is throwing stones

bushidobrown504

Neo Member
I’m looking forward to seeing Mackey on the big screen as Cap. He’s a great actor and not only can he carry the movie alone but he will bring a new change of pace. As a side note I hope Captain Carter makes a appearance and they double team some big bad together. #doublechargingstar.

Stop watching YouTube. It rots your brain.

Contrary to your corporate flashy 'splody popcorn action hero movies amirite?
This is rich coming from somebody who seems to spend most of his time spamming his twitter wall with pop entertainment advertisement.

o_O

It's not hard to imagine that neither Brie Larson nor her character are the audience magnet they were hoping for. Which is why she didn't get another shot at her own movie and needs supporting cast to carry another MCU blockbuster.
I don't get why you and Manabyte get so triggered by a few media critics. By your superfanboi standards Roger Ebert would have been an outright media troll.

We get it, you both hate criticism of your exuberant consumer habits. Learn to deal with it.

COOOONSOOOOOOOM

Exactly.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I feel exactly the same. It's like they weren't aware how HUGE the franchise will become and how much sympathy people will have for the characters, and ended the saga too early with the End Game and now they're trying to milk it as much as possible while the actors aren't too old yet. The recent Black Widow for example, I fail to understand what was the point of this movie, what it added to the storyline, like, absolutely nothing would happened if the movie never existed, same for Loki or TF&TWS. All the post-End Game stuff feels to me like it's LTTP, the hype is over, it's gone, at least for me personally.

Think of each Avengers movie as an event in the comics. The Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, Secret Wars, Crisis on Infinite Earth's, Etc ... Each of those comic stories which are all huge crossovers, could feel like an end to the whole run... But each one (yes, including the MCU's Endgame) had threads which said "there's more to come" if you were paying attention. Like Loki escaping or the branch realities they created (setting up Loki) ... And Wanda singlehandedly almost killing Thanos which set up WandaVision... And Rogers passing along the mantle to Wilson... There's others but I thought I'd put just the obvious ones to bolster my argument.

Yeah, Iron Man and Rogers are gone, but they had 10 years and multiple movies to build them up and endear them to the mass audience. Now they're introducing new characters and that's also going to take time to endear them to people. Some will be instant successes, some will have to grow on people. That's the nature of a shared universe, movie or comic.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Think of each Avengers movie as an event in the comics. The Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, Secret Wars, Crisis on Infinite Earth's, Etc ... Each of those comic stories which are all huge crossovers, could feel like an end to the whole run... But each one (yes, including the MCU's Endgame) had threads which said "there's more to come" if you were paying attention. Like Loki escaping or the branch realities they created (setting up Loki) ... And Wanda singlehandedly almost killing Thanos which set up WandaVision... And Rogers passing along the mantle to Wilson... There's others but I thought I'd put just the obvious ones to bolster my argument.

Yeah, Iron Man and Rogers are gone, but they had 10 years and multiple movies to build them up and endear them to the mass audience. Now they're introducing new characters and that's also going to take time to endear them to people. Some will be instant successes, some will have to grow on people. That's the nature of a shared universe, movie or comic.
Sense and logic has no place here.

sol_bad

If I remember correctly, when the MCU first started they talked about the universe in the same manner as James Bond and that characters would get recast as time went on. I don't think they ever expected people to get so attached the the characters. They definitely weren't aware how huge their franchise would be, they weren't even positive they'd make a profit on Iron Man and Incredible Hulk.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If I remember correctly, when the MCU first started they talked about the universe in the same manner as James Bond and that characters would get recast as time went on. I don't think they ever expected people to get so attached the the characters. They definitely weren't aware how huge their franchise would be, they weren't even positive they'd make a profit on Iron Man and Incredible Hulk.

If Iron Man didn't work, Marvel Studios wouldn't exist. They gambled the entire company on that.

Top Bottom