• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Mackie Closes Deal To Star In Disney/Marvel’s ‘Captain America 4’ Film

ManaByte

Gold Member

Anthony Mackie has closed a deal to carry the shield and his first superhero picture in Captain America 4, sources said.

R.b02dcc6d4bd66e026da90121fb358bd1

HoodWinked

Mackie offscreen is a thoughtful and good person so happy for him to get the big pay day. However, F&WS was the worst of the streaming shows by a large margin maybe if it were the original pandemic storyline might have actually made better narrative sense.

RAÏSanÏa

After watching Loki and putting some of that story into context of Karli, the GRC and F&TWS can't wait to see what they do to further the MCU arc with this character.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Looking forward to this like I'm looking forward to my 3rd covid vaccine.

Last edited:

Fbh

I wonder what terrorists he will defend this time!!!.

But seriously dude is likeable enough, I think he can definitely carry a superhero movie. Weird that they didn't close the deal before F&WS, given how much money they spent on introducing him as the new Captain America I guess he had the advantage when negotiating for the movie.

sol_bad

No, he wasn't. And The First Avenger shows it. That movie didn't do all that great when stacked up against Iron man or even the Hulk movies. It took an ensemble movie for him to really shine and for the public to buy into him more.

Hulk 2003 made 245 million.
The Incredible Hulk made 264 million.
The First Avenger made 370 million.
;)

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Good actor, dunno if he can carry an MCU movie solo. But before the soy era was Chris Evans even that big?
No, he wasn't. And The First Avenger shows it. That movie didn't do all that great when stacked up against Iron man or even the Hulk movies. It took an ensemble movie for him to really shine and for the public to buy into him more.
Hulk 2003 made 245 million.
The Incredible Hulk made 264 million.
The First Avenger made 370 million.
;)
point taken. Wanna go all the way with the iron man comparison?
Besides, $370 million WORLDWIDE isn’t lightening up anybody. That movie was solidly average in BO and in my opinion one of the weakest entries in the MCU.

TheMan

Yeah, no thanks. I have nothing against Mackie as an actor per se but the dude has the screen presence of a wet paper towel.

Yeah this is what I was thinking, he just lacks that charisma. But hey I guess he could get better

NahaNago

The thing is that he was already in several movies even if it was in smaller roles but never became a popular or a beloved niche character. I think most of it is him and the rest is the writing for his character.
point taken. Wanna go all the way with the iron man comparison?
Besides, $370 million WORLDWIDE isn’t lightening up anybody. That movie was solidly average in BO and in my opinion one of the weakest entries in the MCU.
The problem though is that you have a boy scout with a shield verus a iron man and a god lightning. Just based off how interesting the characters are iron man and thor should make more money in the BO.
I like Mackie, just not buying him as a Captain America. I find his wing suit to be uninteresting both in terms of action and appearance. His lack of super powers is also a problem for me.
Agreed that his wing suit is uninteresting in action and appearance. The problem I can see is that folks would compare him to iron man with wings and without a motorcycle helmet. Maybe if his wings were like some nano technology type armor that could morph into wings and projectiles with some of it glowing red because that is the color of the pulsating energy would it be a bit more interesting.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Disney agrees to pay him for the movie off the back end and then releases it free on Disney +.
Knowing the movie will likely make a billion dollars I hope he got several million.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I would imagine that given how much they have riding on this - the first big replacement of the MCU after it got up and running - that they will learn from the mistakes of F&TWS. Not only that, but the series did a lot of setting up. Now that it’s out of the way and new Cap and others are established, there’s room to tell a stand alone story.

Are there any details on what story this will have? The scale/threat can’t be that high as he’s just a man in a wing suit, which means lower tier than any avenger bar Hawkeye/Widow. Pepper Potts is higher tier. But at the same time, it’s a Cap movie and it can’t be that weak of a threat or it’s not worth him existing. Maybe an Avengers-lite movie, like Civil War was?

Kimahri

Banned
I just don't know why im6suppose to care about the mcu at this point? I grew tired quite a while ago, and after they killed off a bunch of characters, it just kinda feels like a bunch of leftovers.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I just don't know why im6suppose to care about the mcu at this point? I grew tired quite a while ago, and after they killed off a bunch of characters, it just kinda feels like a bunch of leftovers.
You don't have to care if you don't want. Enough people still do to make the MCU able to basically print money.

The MCU is in a decline now. How steep will be determined later, but the peak was Infinity War. Now it is declining from incredible heights, so it’s got a long way to go before irrelevancy. We will see over the next 2-3 years how fast it falls.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The MCU is in a decline now. How steep will be determined later, but the peak was Infinity War. Now it is declining from incredible heights, so it’s got a long way to go before irrelevancy. We will see over the next 2-3 years how fast it falls.

In the next 3 years we're getting a third Guardians, a third Spider-Man bringing back actors from the older Sony movies, a Blade movie starring an academy-award winner, a third R-rated Deadpool (in the MCU), and Fantastic Four. Not to mention the introduction of Mutants.

Sure Jan GIF

NahaNago

I still want to know how they are going to introduce mutants to the MCU or will that be a whole nother universe. That is really the only thing keeping me slightly interest in the MCU right now. Wait I forgot about Blade. Mutants and Blade are the only things right now. Thor is getting a gender change, black panther will probably get a gender change for obvious reasons( I was actually disappointed by black panther but thought it was alright), Shang chi just looks like an mcu film but with martial arts, and the eternal is creating like no buzz.

With that said I'll probably still watch every movie that comes out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
In the next 3 years we're getting a third Guardians, a third Spider-Man bringing back actors from the older Sony movies, a Blade movie starring an academy-award winner, a third R-rated Deadpool (in the MCU), and Fantastic Four. Not to mention the introduction of Mutants.

Sure Jan GIF
And none of those will reach the heights that Endgame and Infinity War did. Hence the decline. They’re trying to rebuild with new characters and recastings. Time will tell if they’re able to pull it off. But MCU is certainly in a decline right now. It’s almost impossible to stay at the peak.

sol_bad

And none of those will reach the heights that Endgame and Infinity War did. Hence the decline. They’re trying to rebuild with new characters and recastings. Time will tell if they’re able to pull it off. But MCU is certainly in a decline right now. It’s almost impossible to stay at the peak.

Do you seriously expect every movie to make 1 or 2 billion plus? That's not going to happen and never was going to happen.
Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and the Wasp and GOTG2 already prove this. Not every movie needs to make over a billion.

NahaNago

Uh, Odinson still exists even with Jane Foster Thor. And Jane Foster Thor doesn't live long.
I was just trying to say that the emphasis might be on lady thor. Who knows how many movies Jane Foster Thor will be in before they give her a send off. Plus considering cap is gone, iron man is dead, hawk eye is getting replaced by his daughter, and female hulk will be a thing , so who knows if regular Thor will be much of a thing in the future.

I kind of feel like regular Thor's story is just about over. All of his family is just about dead or gone, asgard is destroyed, and he is no longer king so what will be his drive in the future. The best bet I can see would be a revenge story with someone trying to wipe out odin's lineage because of his war to conquer all of those realms.

Yeah none of them will reach the heights of two of the most successful films of all time during a time where theater attendance is down.

What a decline :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Do you seriously expect every movie to make 1 or 2 billion plus? That's not going to happen and never was going to happen.
Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and the Wasp and GOTG2 already prove this. Not every movie needs to make over a billion.
You guys are fans. Of course you’re going to push back. But you’ve already acknowledged there is a decline happening, so we are essentially on the same page. You’re just defensive about it. Look, we can talk about whether we think the new movies will be good, but ultimately we will just have to wait and see.

Culturally, MCU is not going to occupy the same space. Maybe someday they will again, but they’re going to have to earn it now. For a while it was a forgone conclusion every time they put out a new film. It was going to be the talk of the town, make tons of money. A real cultural phenomenon. That won’t be true going forward. At least for a while.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You guys are fans. Of course you’re going to push back. But you’ve already acknowledged there is a decline happening, so we are essentially on the same page. You’re just defensive about it. Look, we can talk about whether we think the new movies will be good, but ultimately we will just have to wait and see.

Culturally, MCU is not going to occupy the same space. Maybe someday they will again, but they’re going to have to earn it now. For a while it was a forgone conclusion every time they put out a new film. It was going to be the talk of the town, make tons of money. A real cultural phenomenon. That won’t be true going forward. At least for a while.

But it's not a decline. It's the start of a new phase and a new build up to another 10 year event movie.

Stop watching YouTube. It rots your brain.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
You are doing something I have never seen before. You are not only ignoring what is being said to you, but you are also not listening to yourself.

I am actually impressed lol

Last edited:

Ownage

I like Mackie a lot as Cap, but a lot writing on F&TWS was hamfisted. Hoping they keep tighter tabs on the writing and direction for the movie. Cautiously optimistic.
TV budget vs theatre budget. Granted theatres are at home now, but they will treat this as any other motion picture movie feature. Could be a torch handoff from Black Panther for certain demographics. Fine by me, if it's good, do it.

bitbydeath

The upcoming multi-verse shenanigans might be the good kick in the pants it needs.

ManaByte

Gold Member
TV budget vs theatre budget. Granted theatres are at home now, but they will treat this as any other motion picture movie feature. Could be a torch handoff from Black Panther for certain demographics. Fine by me, if it's good, do it.

The shows have about the same budget as solo MCU movies. Falcon was about $150M

sol_bad

I am a very big fan that is true, but I listed those movies above to point out that different characters are going to appeal to different people. The movies I mentioned above weren't the talk of the town either. GOTG2 only made an extra 100 million over it's prequel, doesn't make it a failure. The Ant-Man movies and Doctor Strange weren't the talk of town and aren't failures either.

Last edited:
But it's not a decline. It's the start of a new phase and a new build up to another 10 year event movie.

Stop watching YouTube. It rots your brain.
Call it whatever you want. There is no way to know whether they can pull off that off again. They’re going to try. We will see what happens. But I’d say the likelihood of them building another cultural leviathan like they did with the original Avengers is less than 50%. They caught lightning in a bottle. It’s hard to do that twice. Hopefully the new films are good.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They caught lightning in a bottle. It’s hard to do that twice.

People said Avengers would be a failure and it'd never work.
People said Guardians of the Galaxy would be a failure and it'd never work.
People (YouTube) said Captain Marvel would be a failure and destroy the MCU. It made 1.13 billion and the next movie after it is the #2 grossing movie of all time.

Top Bottom