• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Guilty_AI

It did decline, actually.

Not a single new Anime has been as good, or left as big of an impact, as Death Note, Attack on Titan or Monster etc.

The biggest one right now is what? My Hero Academia? Which is like...complete and utter garbage made purely for 12 year olds.
old-man-cloud-HD.jpg

Guilty_AI

Not a single new Anime has been as good, or left as big of an impact, as Death Note, Attack on Titan or Monster etc.

The biggest one right now is what? My Hero Academia? Which is like...complete and utter garbage made purely for 12 year olds.
Like, just to further add to my point, don't forget things like how Tsugumi Ohba (Death note) is still writing manga to this day (Platinum End, anime adaptation was even announced)

Shouta

Man I really don't like the current arc of Re:Zero, it's so boring.

It's kind of a shit arc. It's really unfocused, has too many threads going on, and the character development is pretty trite. It's cool that there's a lot interesting information being presented to us but it's a jumbled mess. I had my suspicions that this author isn't actually great, that it's been a fluke up until this point, but this has been raising red flags like crazy. I've also heard of a minor spoiler for a future arc that sounds even worse.

Guilty_AI

Platinum End is really mediocre though.

The Death Note one-shot manga that released recently was better.
And you think that because you grew old. These manga are aimed at teenagers/young adults most of the time.

Manga/animes like MHA, Demon Slayer, 7 Deadly Sins at the end of the day aren't all that different from the Bleachs and One Pieces, they all follow the same formula. The only difference is that you saw the latter when your brain was 13-16 years old more immature.

MeteorVII

And you think that because you grew old. These manga are aimed at teenagers/young adults most of the time.

Manga/animes like MHA, Demon Slayer, 7 Deadly Sins at the end of the day aren't all that different from the Bleachs and One Pieces, they all follow the same formula. The only difference is that you saw the latter when your brain was 13-16 years old more immature.
”Following the same formula” =/= being of the same quality.

There’s a reason why One Piece, Bleach and Naruto were dubbed the Big 3.

Comparing the likes of Demon Slayer, MHA, 7 Deadly Sins to the Big 3 is a downright comedic joke.

Carna

Banned
Generally Bleach was more interesting with "monster of the day" format

Also I liked the live action movie.

kamkamkam

Peaks and valleys, there will be and have always been dull years.

Want to see the future....

vW6797w.jpg

This is the future of anime.

Last edited:

Sakura

It's kind of a shit arc. It's really unfocused, has too many threads going on, and the character development is pretty trite. It's cool that there's a lot interesting information being presented to us but it's a jumbled mess. I had my suspicions that this author isn't actually great, that it's been a fluke up until this point, but this has been raising red flags like crazy. I've also heard of a minor spoiler for a future arc that sounds even worse.
I'm not sure which spoiler you read, but the next two arcs are better than this one at least.
I just hate how this arc feels like it goes on forever, and how we have like a dozen characters all getting their backstory crammed in this one arc.
I'm not sure if he is a bad writer or not, but I'm definitely not a fan of his writing style. Too often it feels like I'm reading pages of text with nothing actually happening, just there to fill up volume.
Also I don't like Emilia so every time she comes on I want to turn it off.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So you’re perfectly fine with Steins Gate currently being rated as the #2 greatest anime of all time on MyAnimeList?

That just doesn’t scream “overrated” in the slightest to you?

Huh.

Okie-dokie, then
Not to be that guy but how can you shit on mainstream stuff and say stuff like this

There is some irony in this post. Somewhere.

and like KH?
You might as well drop it.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed the mansion in the OP of "Rika didn't suffer enough the anime".

Good song. Makes sense considering how it ends.

Shouta

I'm not sure which spoiler you read, but the next two arcs are better than this one at least.
I just hate how this arc feels like it goes on forever, and how we have like a dozen characters all getting their backstory crammed in this one arc.
I'm not sure if he is a bad writer or not, but I'm definitely not a fan of his writing style. Too often it feels like I'm reading pages of text with nothing actually happening, just there to fill up volume.

Well, the spoiler I heard was that:

Subaru ends up losing his memories for an arc so he can see how far he's grown or something. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but, at least right now, I don't feel like he's come far enough to justify using that device. The author just has him kind of flail into solutions without fundamentally having the character change his approach to everything or even himself. I've kind of had this problem with the char up until this point but there were signs of things changing seriously but it's kind of running in place at the moment.

I hope that the coming arcs are better because this one is definitely pretty awful.

Also, you feel about this author is how I feel as well. It's how I feel about the Overlord writer too. There's apparently all of this shit on the page but it kind of amounts to nothing actually happening. The Overlord anime just shows how boring the encounters are without the text describing random shit. Madhouse botched the anime but it was also a pile of nothing for most of it. In fact, I feel like a lot of light novel writers are now that I think about it.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Subaru ends up losing his memories for an arc so he can see how far he's grown or something. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but, at least right now, I don't feel like he's come far enough to justify using that device. The author just has him kind of flail into solutions without fundamentally having the character change his approach to everything or even himself. I've kind of had this problem with the char up until this point but there were signs of things changing seriously but it's kind of running in place at the moment.

I hope that the coming arcs are better because this one is definitely pretty awful.

Also, you feel about this author is how I feel as well. It's how I feel about the Overlord writer too. There's apparently all of this shit on the page but it kind of amounts to nothing actually happening. The Overlord anime just shows how boring the encounters are without the text describing random shit. Madhouse botched the anime but it was also a pile of nothing for most of it. In fact, I feel like a lot of light novel writers are now that I think about it.
You've received enlightenment. It only took you 33 years.

Shouta

You've received enlightenment. It only took you 33 years.
I was at the precipice of enlightenment for a long time. I just got kicked off the cliff recently. >=(

Seriously though, more annoying than the LNs themselves are the LN readers who hype the shit out of these and piss on things because they aren't the source material without a thought. They are a scourge.

Sakura

You might as well drop it.
I've actually just been skipping all the parts she appears in. I'll watch for more beato though.

While it is true he loses his memories, it isn't for the entire arc (though indeed a good portion), and I would disagree with the reason that it is to show how far he has grown. It has more story meaning than that. It still does have its problems, but I still think overall it is a better arc than the current one.
Also, y'all need to be watching Log Horizon.
I haven't gotten around to watch the third season mostly because I have no recollection of what happened in the previous 2 seasons it has been so long.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't gotten around to watch the third season mostly because I have no recollection of what happened in the previous 2 seasons it has been so long.
I've seen the show 3 times now and I still don't remember much. :(

Shouta

I've actually just been skipping all the parts she appears in. I'll watch for more beato though.

While it is true he loses his memories, it isn't for the entire arc (though indeed a good portion), and I would disagree with the reason that it is to show how far he has grown. It has more story meaning than that. It still does have its problems, but I still think overall it is a better arc than the current one.

Well, I'll see it when we get to that arc then but I have a feeling the writing is still only gonna piss me off, lol. Re:Zero's premise just gonna have to keep me going.

S2 of Log Horizon ended with

rising tensions with the People of the Land's kingdoms because Plant Hwaden joined up with Westlande through all of the shit that happened in Season 2. So there's been a lot more entanglement. At the same time, Shiroe and Log Horizon learned about the existence of extraterrestrial beings via Shiroe's Alt character coming to life. They find out there are multiple servers and that there might be a way to get people back to the real world on the moon where Roe 2's companions are. They took on a raid to secure broadcasting equipment to try to contact them.

Season 3 immediately jumps into a situation in Akiba involving the People of the Land and the Adventurers. It took me a little bit to freresh my memory as well even though I saw the the first two season in the last like 2 years. So you're not the only one in that boat, lol.

Labolas

Peaks and valleys, there will be and have always been dull years.

Want to see the future....

vW6797w.jpg

This is the future of anime.
Actually enjoying this, considering I don't normally like shonen anime. Can't really call it the "future of anime" when it's a relatively new manga that could easily jump the shark.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Maybe that is the thing. I have somehow outgrown anime, just CANNOT stand their dialogues at ALL.

Last good one I remember was that isekai slime reincarnated anime, and I was really high. Other than that, still watches One Piece religiously even though it's slow and not as whimsical as before, but I believe in Oda. I know it.

Sakura

Well, I'll see it when we get to that arc then but I have a feeling the writing is still only gonna piss me off, lol. Re:Zero's premise just gonna have to keep me going.

S2 of Log Horizon ended with

rising tensions with the People of the Land's kingdoms because Plant Hwaden joined up with Westlande through all of the shit that happened in Season 2. So there's been a lot more entanglement. At the same time, Shiroe and Log Horizon learned about the existence of extraterrestrial beings via Shiroe's Alt character coming to life. They find out there are multiple servers and that there might be a way to get people back to the real world on the moon where Roe 2's companions are. They took on a raid to secure broadcasting equipment to try to contact them.

Season 3 immediately jumps into a situation in Akiba involving the People of the Land and the Adventurers. It took me a little bit to freresh my memory as well even though I saw the the first two season in the last like 2 years. So you're not the only one in that boat, lol.
Considering not any of that rings a bell, I'm probably going to have to rewatch season 2. I swear I've already watched it twice before.

Karmic Raze

My Hero Academia is not garbage made for 12 year olds. I’ve enjoyed that series maybe more than most series I’ve watched over the last 10+ years. I will say it’s got me in the feels more than ANY anime has. I’ve been in tears more times with MHA than any other anime ever, and I love the characters and the general story progression throughout the series. If you don’t like it that’s fine, but it’s not just catering to the younger generation. I’m 34 and seen pretty much every anime worth watching over the last 20 years and MHA is awesome to me. But what do I know? I like Shonen. I must be a reeeee.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

My Hero Academia is not garbage made for 12 year olds. I’ve enjoyed that series maybe more than most series I’ve watched over the last 10+ years. I will say it’s got me in the feels more than ANY anime has. I’ve been in tears more times with MHA than any other anime ever, and I love the characters and the general story progression throughout the series. If you don’t like it that’s fine, but it’s not just catering to the younger generation. I’m 34 and seen pretty much every anime worth watching over the last 20 years and MHA is awesome to me. But what do I know? I like Shonen. I must be a reeeee.
No, its trash, just like every other anime, and ourselves for liking them

13494798_1020893851281933_237007722076962854_n.png

Last edited:
Also, y'all need to be watching Log Horizon.
Should I start from the first series or is it okay if I jump right into the current season?

Also a coworker of my brother recommended Mushoku Tensei to him and it was so awkward rewatching the first episode with him with the knowledge that
the witch masturbates, the couple fucks every episode and the dad fucked the maid.

Shouta

Should I start from the first series or is it okay if I jump right into the current season?

Also a coworker of my brother recommended Mushoku Tensei to him and it was so awkward rewatching the first episode with him with the knowledge that
the witch masturbates, the couple fucks every episode and the dad fucked the maid.

If you haven't watched Log Horizon before, start with Season 1. It's a long series that has a ton of things happen so if you try to jump in with Season 3, you'll totally be lost. The stuff that's happening right now is also kind of related to stuff that happened early on, in a broad sense. A huge component of Log Horizon is about how the people adapt to their new situation and create a functioning society to deal with the challenges of their new reality. The first series establishes this and this third season continues this overall storyline by intertwining it with the politics established in Season 2.

You should be able to find it streaming but it's also cheap on Bluray now. I think the complete first and second seasons are available for about 50 bucks, or a buck an episode basically. Any way you watch it, highly recommended. It's easily one of my favorite, if not favorite, isekai/trapped in a game series and it probably would go high on my overall anime list too.

On Mushoku, yeah that's kind of awkward, lol. It's at least real about it. Anime often hides all of that, makes it eye-wink material, or just straight eroticizes it but this is one of the few that kind of treats it as a something people just end up doing.

Komatsu

Man, here I was hoping we would finally hear something about the rumored PATLABOR EZY in this year of our lord 2021, as was teased on twitter last year.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Because Death Note and Attack on Titan are also enjoyed by people beyond the age of 5.
Not a fan of the stuff you are shitting on but I'm sure there are people that are in their 30s that watch it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn’t really my argument but ok
You didn't really have one. You just wanted to shit on a thing you don't like (which is ok) by saying stuff you consider old was better. (highly debatable, just like everything though.) Monster was p good though.

Durask

Watched Eureka 7 Hi-Evolution movie 1

Beginning and end of the movie is widescreen, middle 2/3 is old TV series 4:3 footage that has been cut and redubbed so that the events of the original movie come across a bit differently. The end result is deranged pointless dragfest (except for a nice space battle in the beginning that's like 10 minutes).

So disappointing. The original Eureka 7 was for me at least a near masterpiece which ended perfectly.
Then there was glorified OVA with an alternative story which was, eh, whatever.

After that Bones waited a few years and excreted a pointless pile of, er, something, that was Eureka 7 AO.

I just wish they left the original alone.

Witchilich

I really hope anime studios get some appreciation for Sevens, and turn it into a good anime.
I don't know what that image has got to do with Sevens, but I dropped that web novel in Chapter 30, although I liked mob otome from the same author.

Last edited:
Top Bottom