• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Shouta

Mushoku is pretty great through where the manga is currently. It's definitely not an fantasy action series at this point. If anything, it's a lot closer to a slice of life at times, heh. It doesn't really break new ground or anything but it's really good for what it is, a biographical (more or less) look at the life of someone who got a second chance. It's also at least written pretty well, especially compared to a lot of its LN contemporaries that are popular.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Mushoku is pretty great through where the manga is currently. It's definitely not an fantasy action series at this point. If anything, it's a lot closer to a slice of life at times, heh. It doesn't really break new ground or anything but it's really good for what it is, a biographical (more or less) look at the life of someone who got a second chance. It's also at least written pretty well, especially compared to a lot of its LN contemporaries that are popular.
I don't know, still feels like it boils down to "its the least trashy of generic isekais"

Shouta

I don't know, still feels like it boils down to "its the least trashy of generic isekais"
I dunno it sounds like you're looking at it negatively just because it's an isekai. To be fair, that's pretty understandable considering the deluge of series that is riding the isekai trend but like Mushoku is pretty clearly a remarkable series despite that and even in the greater scope of anime. The focus of the series is pretty uncommon, the writing is solid, and the anime production is fucking stellar. What else could you want? I mean, do you know what you want out of an isekai?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I dunno it sounds like you're looking at it negatively just because it's an isekai. To be fair, that's pretty understandable considering the deluge of series that is riding the isekai trend but like Mushoku is pretty clearly a remarkable series despite that and even in the greater scope of anime. The focus of the series is pretty uncommon, the writing is solid, and the anime production is fucking stellar. What else could you want? I mean, do you know what you want out of an isekai?
Theres plenty of isekai that i like, though almost all of them have a "catch" or are different from typical isekai scenarios or are parodies of the concept. I meant more in that Mushoku is a pretty straightforward isekai as far as stories in the genre go, and there aren't many good ones in that sense.

As you said, the anime is pretty solid and has an excellent production, it does elevate the story to a patamar it just couldn't achieve before and i'll probably keep watching.

However, as far as novel/manga go, it just isn't that good. It works, it has some good aspects to it, but all in all it would be a 6 or 7 out 10. Some would like it of course but i wouldn't call it remarkable.

Last edited:

Shouta

Theres plenty of isekai that i like, though almost all of them have a "catch" or are different from typical isekai scenarios or are parodies of the concept. I meant more in that Mushoku is a pretty straightforward isekai as far as stories in the genre go, and there aren't many good ones in that sense.

As you said, the anime is pretty solid and has an excellent production, it does elevate the story to a patamar it just couldn't achieve before and i'll probably keep watching.

However, as far as novel/manga go, it just isn't that good. It works, it has some good aspects to it, but all in all it would be a 6 or 7 out 10. Some would like it of course but i wouldn't call it remarkable.

Oh, if you're looking for a series with a catch then yeah, Mushoku might seem unremarkable. It's a series that is just a straight isekai and nothing additional in it like say Re:Zero, Overlord, Cautious Hero, etc. But that's also kind of what makes it special too. It's just an isekai and it's one where the isekai part is actually a huge component. A lot of series don't use the previous life as a impetus to move the story so it feels like like it's an afterthought but it plays a huge part in how Rudy moves through life in Mushoku and affects how he handles situations. The series explores him as a character as he ages in a very natural way and I think it's pretty amazing for it. There's no silly defining character moment but a real progression for him.

I initially thought it was kind of standard too but the more I dug into it and the more I looked at other series, isekai and not, I realized how much was going for Mushoku.

Guilty_AI

Oh, if you're looking for a series with a catch then yeah, Mushoku might seem unremarkable. It's a series that is just a straight isekai and nothing additional in it like say Re:Zero, Overlord, Cautious Hero, etc. But that's also kind of what makes it special too. It's just an isekai and it's one where the isekai part is actually a huge component. A lot of series don't use the previous life as a impetus to move the story so it feels like like it's an afterthought but it plays a huge part in how Rudy moves through life in Mushoku and affects how he handles situations. The series explores him as a character as he ages in a very natural way and I think it's pretty amazing for it. There's no silly defining character moment but a real progression for him.

I initially thought it was kind of standard too but the more I dug into it and the more I looked at other series, isekai and not, I realized how much was going for Mushoku.
I dunno, i think the main thing that stopped me from going further was the main character himself. He just felt to shounen-ish for my taste. Uninteresting MC sorta kills any journey type of story for me.

Its probably one of the reasons why i was more fond of the anime. Both great voice acting for narrating his inner neet self and great direction helped lots in making him more charming.

Shouta

I dunno, i think the main thing that stopped me from going further was the main character himself. He just felt to shounen-ish for my taste. Uninteresting MC sorta kills any journey type of story for me.

Its probably one of the reasons why i was more fond of the anime. Both great voice acting for narrating his inner neet self and great direction helped lots in making him more charming.

Shounen-ish? As in shounen anime? I'm not really sure how you got that feeling, lol. I guess there is some similar elements to older shounen characters from the 80s like the perverted-ness but he's not really hot-blooded or all about friendship, etc.

The anime definitely made a perfect choice in choosing Sugita to represent Rudy's inner degenerate but I feel like the manga and the novels do that well enough. For one, the novels are almost entirely narrated from his perspective so it's supposed to have that air of snark/sarcasm to it. I don't know if the translated novels actually get this right though but it's apparent in the original Japanese text. The manga includes chibi images of his old-self as a reminder of that. It can feel a little comedic but the series is a bit comedic and it works well as a reminder.

Guilty_AI

Shounen-ish? As in shounen anime? I'm not really sure how you got that feeling, lol. I guess there is some similar elements to older shounen characters from the 80s like the perverted-ness but he's not really hot-blooded or all about friendship, etc.

The anime definitely made a perfect choice in choosing Sugita to represent Rudy's inner degenerate but I feel like the manga and the novels do that well enough. For one, the novels are almost entirely narrated from his perspective so it's supposed to have that air of snark/sarcasm to it. I don't know if the translated novels actually get this right though but it's apparent in the original Japanese text. The manga includes chibi images of his old-self as a reminder of that. It can feel a little comedic but the series is a bit comedic and it works well as a reminder.
Its more about all that vibe of 'gotta get stronger' or constant reaffirming his self-determination.
Theres some snark/sarcastic passages in the novel here and there but it didn't feel like something with too much presence in the narrative. None to the level of, say, Kyon, Kazuma, 8man or Naofumi (something that felt sort of lost in the shield hero anime adaptation actually)

Last edited:

Shouta

Its more about all that vibe of 'gotta get stronger' or constant reaffirming his self-determination.
Theres some snark/sarcastic passages in the novel here and there but it didn't feel like something with too much presence in the narrative. None to the level of, say, Kyon, Kazuma, 8man or Naofumi (something that felt sort of lost in the shield hero anime adaptation actually)
Oh, I guess that's kind of shounen-y. It makes a lot of sense in context though.

The snark is not a huge part of the narrative but it's there for comedy. I had a laugh at how he described his parents going at it when he walks out and finds Roxy having a bit of fun herself. A lot of his comments throughout what I've read is like that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah so

How did Paul fuck the maid when all he did was work out and fuck his wife. How did he find the time in 24 hours. I never got this in the mango version.

Shouta

Yeah so

How did Paul fuck the maid when all he did was work out and fuck his wife. How did he find the time in 24 hours. I never got this in the mango version.

What makes you think everything happens in 24 hours? I mean, he could probably do it like that but it's likely that he fucked his wife one day and then the maid made her moves on him the following night.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What makes you think everything happens in 24 hours? I mean, he could probably do it like that but it's likely that he fucked his wife one day and then the maid made her moves on him the following night.
But his wife NEVER leaves the house. I found it odd he'd even have the energy to be a fuck machine if anything lol.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I recommend Heaven's Design Team for fun facts about animals and making yourself happy after watching pain confusion Gou.

I hate this song. it is stuck in my head.
tf3Ia74.png

Shouta

But his wife NEVER leaves the house. I found it odd he'd even have the energy to be a fuck machine if anything lol.
She has to leave the house at some point to do something, lol. All he does around there is train, his libido is probably ridiculous.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think that if I liked K, I would like Project Scard too? I see that both are from GoHands, and Project Scard's premise reminds me of K.
Oh god GOHands. :/

They make everything look samey and LOVE the color blue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Witchilich

It was one of the pioneers of current web novel isekai trend, but naturally it didn't invent the concept of reborning/transporting to a different world, something straight out of the monomyth. I suppose these novels were also largely inspired by SAO and Zero no Tsukaima.
Mushoku Tensei is also in a way one of the 'isekai-est' of the modern isekais, for good and bad which is its problem.
Thats a lie. I have seen Mushoku Tensei fans claim it was the OG modern isekai, it popularized the genre or it was the first to use tropes like "truck-sama" or "reincarnation", all of which are false.
For all purposes Zero no Tsukaima is the first modern isekai, most isekais still follow that setting but often they copy the protagonist from Sword Art Online. Re Zero popularized the isekai genre and that came before Mushoku Tensei. No Game No Life, Outbreak Company and Log Horizon were popular isekai series that started before Mushoku Tensei.
"Truck-sama" trope has been used before in Angel Beats(probably where it became popular) and Hells. Reincarnation trope is very popular in Korean/Chinese web novels but if we only speak about Manga/Light Novels, Bokura no Kiseki used the reincarnation trope before Mushoku Tensei.

Guilty_AI

Thats a lie. I have seen Mushoku Tensei fans claim it was the OG modern isekai, it popularized the genre or it was the first to use tropes like "truck-sama" or "reincarnation", all of which are false.
For all purposes Zero no Tsukaima is the first modern isekai, most isekais still follow that setting but often they copy the protagonist from Sword Art Online. Re Zero popularized the isekai genre and that came before Mushoku Tensei. No Game No Life, Outbreak Company and Log Horizon were popular isekai series that started before Mushoku Tensei.
"Truck-sama" trope has been used before in Angel Beats(probably where it became popular) and Hells. Reincarnation trope is very popular in Korean/Chinese web novels but if we only speak about Manga/Light Novels, Bokura no Kiseki used the reincarnation trope before Mushoku Tensei.
Thats why i said "one of". Re zero, No game no Life, Konosuba, Shield Hero, Mushoku Tensei, they all came out pretty much in the same year.
And although its arguable Zero no Tsukaima was the first modern isekai, it came out on 2004 and even got anime adaptation in 2006. No matter how one would look at it, it didn't really popularized the genre to absurd levels like the ones mentioned before did.

Shouta

Mushoku gets the moniker because it's the one that popularized the specific flow of events and format that folks are familiar with isekai. There's no doubt that the tropes themselves have been around for a long time. Getting killed by a vehicle was a thing in the 80s too. Mushoku just got folks to ape the shit out of it getting us to where we are right now.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Mushoku gets the moniker because it's the one that popularized the specific flow of events and format that folks are familiar with isekai. There's no doubt that the tropes themselves have been around for a long time. Getting killed by a vehicle was a thing in the 80s too. Mushoku just got folks to ape the shit out of it getting us to where we are right now.
The Wizard of Oz best isekai.

Karmic Raze

So, what did you guys think about what happened in the Boruto manga?...

Borushiki stabbing Sasuke in the fucking Rinnegan?! That’s such a low blow, man. I hope Kishimoto gives Sasuke something in place of the Rinnegan to boost him back up since he’s the man’s favorite character and all. It just sucks as a Sasuke fan to see him getting nerfed so much in Boruto. Poor Sasuke. :(

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So, what did you guys think about what happened in the Boruto manga?...

Borushiki stabbing Sasuke in the fucking Rinnegan?! That’s such a low blow, man. I hope Kishimoto gives Sasuke something in place of the Rinnegan to boost him back up since he’s the man’s favorite character and all. It just sucks as a Sasuke fan to see him getting nerfed so much in Boruto. Poor Sasuke. :(
ew, boruto

Cutty Flam

Banned
Marineford arc is too good, it’s simply too good. I was watching some clips the other day and those moments never get old

I wonder if we will see Luffy exercise the same level of power, to a degree, as Emperor of the Sea, Edward Newgate before One Piece concludes

Komatsu

Literally started reading Mushoku after seeing this post and now I've finally caught up. Pretty good isekai, all things considered. I actually think isekai is a promising sub-genre, the issue with it is that 90% of the works in that vein follow the boring and stupid "hero in a video game" kind of template.

Lest we forget: Spirited Away is an isekai movie. You can do wonders with isekai.

Karmic Raze

ew, boruto
Now that the G.O.A.T. Masashi Kishimoto is taking things over, I fully expect things to become amazing again. You should too. Well, unless you never liked the Naruto franchise to begin with which is the vibe I’m getting here.

EDIT: I wasn’t trying to be a big old meanie when I said that. Sorry!

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Now that the G.O.A.T. Masashi Kishimoto is taking things over, I fully expect things to become amazing again. You should too. Well, unless you never liked the Naruto franchise to begin with which is the vibe I’m getting here.

EDIT: I wasn’t trying to be a big old meanie when I said that. Sorry!
5c4e4ea4bbfd9.jpeg

Karmic Raze

So, who’s excited for Season 5 of My Hero Academia next month? I’m freaking ecstatic. I have Heroes Rising on Blu-ray, but don’t have a player anymore, but it comes with a Digital Copy, so I am going to load that up on my new iPad Air 4 today/tonight and watch it in celebration of Season 5 coming out. I can’t freaking wait! I don’t read the manga, but I really hope Bakugo and Todoroki get to do a lot more this time around than in Season 4. They had some character growth, but nothing exciting like fights or anything. I wanna see them throw the hell down!

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So, who’s excited for Season 5 of My Hero Academia next month? I’m freaking ecstatic. I have Heroes Rising on Blu-ray, but don’t have a player anymore, but it comes with a Digital Copy, so I am going to load that up on my new iPad Air 4 today/tonight and watch it in celebration of Season 5 coming out. I can’t freaking wait! I don’t read the manga, but I really hope Bakugo and Todoroki get to do a lot more this time around than in Season 4. They had some character growth, but nothing exciting like fights or anything. I wanna see them throw the hell down!
ew, my hero academia

Elysion

Banned
Since I’ve been totally out of the loop when it comes to Manga/Anime for several years now, I thought I’d ask you guys: what is the ‘big’ thing these days? What’s the popular (ongoing) series that people in this space are talking about? What has taken the place of popular past series like Naruto, or Bleach? I know AoT is pretty big (pretty much the only series I’m really aware of currently), but that’s going to end in a few months. I assume One Piece is also still ongoing?

What else is popular these days? What is the 'Naruto' of the current day?

MeteorVII

Attack on Titan is legitimately the last good recent anime ever made.

Anime in general had a small peak during 2004-2007 in terms of quality and has basically nosedived off a cliff ever since.

2004-2007; that’s when Death Note came onto the scene and blew everyone’s minds, the greatest Seinen ever made finally got its godlike anime adaptation (Naoki Ursawa’s Monster), One Piece had its Enies Lobby arc, Naruto with its Sasuke Retrieval arc, Bleach with Soul Society arc, it was the literal PEAK of Anime and it will never be topped again.

Attack on Titan is like the sole outlier that arrived after the scene and managed to rekindle some of that fire and magic.

Guilty_AI

Attack on Titan is legitimately the last good recent anime ever made.

Anime in general had a small peak during 2004-2007 in terms of quality and has basically nosedived off a cliff ever since.

2004-2007; that’s when Death Note came onto the scene and blew everyone’s minds, the greatest Seinen ever made finally got its godlike anime adaptation (Naoki Ursawa’s Monster), One Piece had its Enies Lobby arc, Naruto with its Sasuke Retrieval arc, Bleach with Soul Society arc, it was the literal PEAK of Anime and it will never be topped again.

Attack on Titan is like the sole outlier that arrived after the scene and managed to rekindle some of that fire and magic.
It didn't decline, you just grew older.

MeteorVII

It didn't decline, you just grew older.
It did decline, actually.

Not a single new Anime has been as good, or left as big of an impact, as Death Note, Attack on Titan or Monster etc.

The biggest one right now is what? My Hero Academia? Which is like...complete and utter garbage made purely for 12 year olds.

Top Bottom