• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And Now Comes a YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND REVIEW THREAD to spread controversy

MrBadger

I tweeted some impressions, so I guess I'll share them here too :)

On the positive side. The simple, but ingenious boss mechanics are very well done imo

Are you referring to boss encounters we've not seen in previews? IE not the bean, bat or crab? Because I've yet to be that impressed but I'd like for there to be some good bosses later in the game.

NotLiquid

Nintendo's thought process when making these reimagined sequels these days feels like its merely looking at screenshots of the old games and remaking it in a way you'd expect from someone who has no understanding and never played the source material.

Yes, Yoshi's Island had a cute exterior and charming cartoony style to it. But it was never patronizingly easy, it always had new things to come with and it also was ridiculously varied. This "kiddy" exterior taking the forefront of its reputation is so aggravating when in the original it often got really dark and challenging. That's why it's still so timeless.

Its kind of disheartening how Yoshi's Island, one of the freshest games Nintendo had to come with back in the day, can be treated with such abandon.

Nintendo's thought process when making these reimagined sequels these days feels like its merely looking at screenshots of the old games and remaking it in a way you'd expect from someone who has no understanding and never played the source material.

Yes, Yoshi's Island had a cute exterior and charming cartoony style to it. But it was never patronizingly easy, it always had new things to come with and it also was ridiculously varied. This "kiddy" exterior taking the forefront of its reputation is so aggravating when in the original it often got really dark and challenging. That's why it's still so timeless.

Its kind of disheartening how Yoshi's Island, one of the freshest games Nintendo had to come with back in the day, can be treated with such abandon.

What are you talking about? Just the NSMB series? Because for reimagined sequels, we have Kid Icarus, DKCR, Return to Dreamland, and ALBW, all of whom don't really apply to that.

Mit-

Yoshi honestly hasn't had a great track record. A lot of reviews seem to talk about him like he has some treasured series. Yoshi's Island was great and innovative. Yoshi's Story is highly divisive and controversial. Not the most well remembered game. Yoshi's Island DS sucks. This sounds like it's about as good as Yoshi's Island DS.

Oh, surprise, it's developed by the same people as Yoshi's Island DS. I was still considering this game because I'm a collector and enjoy me some Nintendo, but with how much of a chore Yoshi's Island DS was, I really might pass on this one.

Koppai

Hmm a lot of those scores seem to be around a 7/10. That's not bad but not great either. I'm not gonna pay full price for this game though...$30 or less and I'll bite.

Phazon

Are you referring to boss encounters we've not seen in previews? IE not the bean, bat or crab? Because I've yet to be that impressed but I'd like for there to be some good bosses later in the game.

Those weren't exactly the best examples no, it got better after those imo. There are some fun mechanics in the later ones, but don't expect to be blown away. It always stays pretty simple or straight forward.

Yaoibot

That Metro reviewer is absolutely scathing in his analysis, and its only a matter of time before he lambasts something I like. But I just love how he writes. He's a brilliant journalist.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have a hard time getting discouraged about Nintendo games based on poor information roll outs. This always happens. I was waiting for Parish's review to determine if I'd buy it, and his review sold me.

What are you talking about? Just the NSMB series? Because for reimagined sequels, we have Kid Icarus, DKCR, Return to Dreamland, and ALBW, all of whom don't really apply to that.

I can see where is coming from. It seems that for many series, Nintendo is still trying to recreate past glory rather then create something really new and iconic.

DCKR was great because while it felt like DKC, it was in many ways it's own game. Less direct was Metriod prime compared to super metroid. Was it metroid? sure, but it was it's own game in pretty much every way, about the same jump as LTTP to OoT. Sadly, with the zelda games, they are indeed still trying to recreate OoT instead of really pushing to something great.

Kirby is, sadly, about the worst, when it comes to its main platformer series. they are, in effect, just remaking the gameplay in Dreamland 2 or Super star.

Yeah, man, those were some great sequels that really changed things up while honoring the original. Heck, I even like NSMB.

It's cool that this game exists, even if it's not what we'd hoped for, there's for sure an audience for it, and some new players will get introduced to the Yoshi's Island franchise, maybe even go back and play the older, better version of the game.

MrBadger

Those weren't exactly the best examples no, it got better after those imo. There are some fun mechanics in the later ones, but don't expect to be blown away. It always stays pretty simple or straight forward.

Ah, got it. I'll look forward to seeing what the later bosses have to offer.

Not going to expect to see something that impressed me the same way the YI1 final boss did, but ah well.

maxcriden

Can any reviewers here shed some light on whether there are additional unlockable levels or anything of significance in that regard?

Kinsei

Banned
Can any reviewers here shed some light on whether there are additional unlockable levels or anything of significance in that regard?

The GameXplain review stated that there is a secret level in each world that you unlock by getting 100% in that world.

maxcriden

The GameXplain review stated that there is a secret level in each world that you unlock by getting 100% in that world.

Good stuff. Thanks Kinsei!

FYI, you can always get to the text version of our reviews if you click the tab above the video player. Here's the direct link if you wanted to snag a quote. http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/7v85go/yoshi---s-new-island-review

Ahh, that is good to know. I thought there was somewhere. Thanks, I'll add it.

rtcn63

True story: When I was in elementary school, some kid lended me a copy of Shaq Fu (he owed me for whatever reason), and told me that if I entered a code at the title screen, I could access Yoshi's Island.

I eventually did buy the game later.

Looks a ton better than Yoshi's Island DS, but honestly I don't have the pluck to play this coming right from DKC TP.
I think I'll save and wait for Kirby, that's already among my future must buys.

This is a great post.

R0ckman

They really need to a small EAD team to do some of these titles and stop shackling the entirety of them to Mario and Zelda.

OzzMejia

Neo Member

There are unlockable levels if you grab all of the world's red coins and flowers and finish with 30 stars, a la Yoshi's Island. As far as cool hidden stuff, that's about it.

Shacknews: 5/10

This review hurt. Yoshi's Island is one of my all-time favorite games and I was really looking forward to this.

Nintendo putting out an inoffensive, totally fine, middle-of-the-road, unmemorable 2D platformer with "NEW" in the title?

Color me shocked!

Raw64life

What they do to my Yoshi? Thankfully I have a ton of other games to play in March but this is still really disappointing. Especially since this game looked like it was lacking from the start and they did nothing to improve it.

MrBadger

So is this game good or terrible these scores are all over the place

The case seems to be that it's playable and perfectly enjoyable, but it lacks anything new. Only thing that seems to be outright bad is the music. And jesus christ is the music bad.

I can see where is coming from. It seems that for many series, Nintendo is still trying to recreate past glory rather then create something really new and iconic.

DCKR was great because while it felt like DKC, it was in many ways it's own game. Less direct was Metriod prime compared to super metroid. Was it metroid? sure, but it was it's own game in pretty much every way, about the same jump as LTTP to OoT. Sadly, with the zelda games, they are indeed still trying to recreate OoT instead of really pushing to something great.

Kirby is, sadly, about the worst, when it comes to its main platformer series. they are, in effect, just remaking the gameplay in Dreamland 2 or Super star.
I don't understand how either A Link Between Worlds or Tropical Freeze fits in to your argument.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
What they do to my Yoshi? Thankfully I have a ton of other games to play in March but this is still really disappointing. Especially since this game looked like it was lacking from the start and they did nothing to improve it.
Did you read the US Gamer review? Both Jeremy and the other dude who reviewed it absolutely hated the game on their first interactions with the game but ended up enjoying it quite a lot.

Yikes, that's a nasty divide in scores. I gotta say, at this point it seems safe to say Tezuka has really mismanaged the Yoshi series badly since YI SNES. Should have just had one game planned and given it to Good Feel and had them focus on making a proper YI sequel either for Wii U or 3DS instead of giving it to Artoon/Arzest AGAIN. I really hope Nintendo takes note this time.

Edit: That said, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game but it deserves way better than this.

Edit: Also why can they not seem to bring themselves to use at least a few tracks from YI? Do they not care at all about any of the key aesthetic elements that made the original so beloved? And not going with either sprites like YI DS or at least all-in YS style with the "organic/rendered" look was just stupid. Like Nintendo thinks parents/kids absolutely won't get a platformer anymore if it ONLY uses sprites?

AdanVC

Hey, I honestly tought it would do worst, there's even an 8.5 here and there, that's nice. Too bad the music is one of the weakest (and annoying) parts of the game, as a huge fan of music in videogames this is a big turn off from me. But I don't know... I think I would probably pick it up, not tomorrow but maybe by the end of the month (or when it lowers it's price, no pressure)

This might also be the worst YI soundtrack to date. Did you hate the little jingle from the trailer? Wait until you hear it remixed in about 100 different ways!

Totaka is a really poor composer. Like is he not capable of creating a soundtrack that doesn't simply rely on variations of one or two themes?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
mixed reviews, I hope nobody will try to select just some of them to make this game feel great or horrible, because it is...somehow good, with some flaws
speaking after having played the review code (but I'm late with my review :D )

Top Bottom