• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And Now Comes a YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND REVIEW THREAD to spread controversy

Most interesting quote from the Polygon review:

I'm genuinely unsure of whether or not I believe it.

Meanwhile, Tom McShae says:

Who do I trust less in this case?!

It can't be any easier than Yoshi's Island was. The game is still one of the best platformers ever made, but it was piss easy.

real talk: yoshi's island has never been good.
Yeah, never understood the fascination with the original

For the record, I've only played the GBA and DS games. Never made it past the second world with the GBA. Made it up to when you get baby Bowser and called it quits on the DS.

maxcriden

OP updated with links, quotes and scores from all reviews.

Game Informer - 7/10

I’ve wanted a solid follow-up to Yoshi’s Island for years, and this game is the third in a trilogy of follow-ups that range from half-baked to decent. Considering how unimpressed and apathetic I was towards most of Yoshi’s New Island, it might be time to just be happy with my Super Nintendo memories when it comes to this series.

Yeah, never understood the fascination with the original

For the record, I've only played the GBA and DS games. Never made it past the second world with the GBA. Made it up to when you get baby Bowser and called it quits on the DS.
I'm in the same boat. I played it and i liked it, but i don't understand the legendary status some give it. Super Mario World was far far superior.

I've always disliked Yoshi's Island myself, but I always thought the game was a "not for me" scenario instead of "not good".

There's obviously a fair number of people who think it's great. It just never clicked with me.
This was how it was for me. The cave sections always put me in a bad mood, and I didn't like having to hunt down the collectibles.

Wiz

But they were supposed to be supervised by Takashi Tezuka and EAD...what happened?

Was there just a point where even the best supervision couldn't save a listless development team when put under certain deadlines? :-(
I think he was put in charge to make sure the development was going in the right direction and that the game remained true to the original. But, no amount of supervision can save a game that is not being made without care.

That's why EAD should have done this game. It would have been a lot more polished visually and technically and the soundtrack would have been top notch.

*sigh* I wanted this to be good. :(

I've always disliked Yoshi's Island myself, but I always thought the game was a "not for me" scenario instead of "not good".

There's obviously a fair number of people who think it's great. It just never clicked with me.
Same here. I remember enjoying Yoshis Story as a kid but then again as a kid I enjoyed DK64 as well. However I played Yoshi's island when it came with the ambassador program and nothing really stuck out to me. I held it out until world 3 and I occasionally go back to it but it really isnt that interesting. Its a very ho hum game like the rest of the Yoshi's Islands. I do hold out that one day Yoshi can have a truly awesome game outside of World and Galaxy 2.

Effect

I wouldn't consider that a Nintendo franchise. It has none of their "core" characters. Its a third-party exclusive, through and through.

Nope. Wonderful 101 is 100% a Nintendo IP. They have number of IP that have been developed the same way.

Chindogg

So is this the first Nintendo mascot game that's really reviewed poorly?

Guess that's the risk when you farm something out.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
@Max, please exchange the quote from my review, because it's just a short sentence about the multiplayer. This one:
Ein abwechslungsreiches und gelungenes Leveldesign mit vollem Fokus auf den Sammeltrieb des Spielers gepaart mit dem zeitlose Gameplay des SNES-Hits kann auch heute noch mühelos überzeugen.
Sloppy English translation: A varied and well made level design with a complete focus on the player's drive to collect paired with the timeless gameplay of the SNES-hit can convince [the player of the quality of the game] effortlessly even today

Griss

It can't be any easier than Yoshi's Island was. The game is still one of the best platformers ever made, but it was piss easy.

You must be joking.

You think levels like Poochy Ain't Stupid and Hit That Switch are easy? And to 100%?

No. Just no. Nintendo hasn't put challenge like that into any of their other platformers other than the original DKC Returns.

MrBadger

Pretty much what I expected the reviews to look like. I'm not writing off this game completely, because what I seem to be getting is that it's just the original with terrible music and less charming visuals, which is what I thought it'd be anyway. So I'm sure it'll be good for a train journey in which I have nothing else to play.

Chindogg

You must be joking.

You think levels like Poochy Ain't Stupid and Hit That Switch are easy? And to 100%?

No. Just no. Nintendo hasn't put challenge like that into any of their other platformers other than the original DKC Returns.

To be fair, NSLU wasn't a cake walk either.

maxcriden

@Max, please exchange the quote from my review, because it's just a short sentence about the multiplayer. This one:
Ein abwechslungsreiches und gelungenes Leveldesign mit vollem Fokus auf den Sammeltrieb des Spielers gepaart mit dem zeitlose Gameplay des SNES-Hits kann auch heute noch mühelos überzeugen.
Sloppy English translation: A varied and well made level design with a complete focus on the player's drive to collect paired with the timeless gameplay of the SNES-hit can convince [the player of the quality of the game] effortlessly even today

On it, thanks. I was just guessing there! :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You must be joking.

YIDS and DKCTF are both more difficult than YI1, both on average and if you are comparing the most difficult parts.

DaBoss

They gave Sticker Star 2/5 and Pikmin 3 3.5 / 5. They're probably one of the harder-hitting of the Nintendo sites

Anyway, the difficulty in the original game came from 100%'ing it. I wonder if the reviewers took that into account
And giving Sticker Star a 2/5 proof of that? lol

And I haven't played Pikmin 3 since I don't have a Wii U, but with the 87 Metacritic score along with a lot of positive impressions here on NeoGAF, I'm not likely to consider GameXplain's 3.5/5 score for Pikmin 3.

nusilver

I hit submit a bit early and meant to hit "preview." A thousand pardons. I'll update in half an hour when the embargo is up.

Hey TC, here's Invisible Gamer's review: http://www.invisiblegamer.net/reviews/yoshis-new-island-review/

and a pull quote: "It’s impossible to deny that in many ways it’s just a re-skinned, re-tooled Yoshi’s Island… but Yoshi’s Island is one of the greatest platformers ever made, and if this is how Nintendo wants to re-introduce it, who am I to complain? It’s been a long, long time coming, but Yoshi’s New Island is every bit as good as the original. And now, a whole new generation of players will get to call it their own."

I think the issue with the Yoshi's island sequels is well, this: You can't recreate an iconic game. You instead, have to foster the sort of developer creativity which lead to that game in the first place.

Yoshi's Island was, imho, the single best 2d platformer game nintendo ever made, if not my favorite 2d plat former of all time. IMHO, it was even better then the holy Super mario Bros 3.

It was wildly creative, iconic is about every area one can be, and captured your imagination better then pretty much any other platformer of it's day.

You can't just lift it's concepts and put them into a new game and expect the same sort of experience.

Vorg

Banned
As a fan of the SNES original I have to say I saw this coming a mile away when they announced the dev was the same responsible for the bucket of mediocrity that is YIDS. And even that one had a more attractive art style.

Griss

Nintendo Insider's last paragraph / summary of the game's merits:

Nintendo Insider said:
It is through a lack of surprise that Yoshi’s New Island disappoints, feeling more like a predictable paint by numbers than being full of the daring innovation that we have so readily seen in Nintendo’s recent output. That may stem from wanting to remain true to the original, but results in a half-baked experience that unfortunately never flutter-jumps enough to get off the ground for long enough to begin fulfilling its clear potential.

What number do you think someone would apply to this summary. Sounds pretty damn bad, right?

7 out of 10

This is why I can't trust sites with 'Nintendo' in the name, and why the review scale in games media is so messed up. A disappointing, half-baked game is two points above average? What the hell?

Fair play to the UK publications of Edge, Eurogamer and Metro for calling it like it is. The text of most of these reviews seems exactly the same, the score they apply is what changes.

I think the issue with the Yoshi's island sequels is well, this: You can't recreate an iconic game. You instead, have to foster the sort of developer creativity which lead to that game in the first place.

Yoshi's Island was, imho, the single best 2d platformer game nintendo ever made, if not my favorite 2d plat former of all time. IMHO, it was even better then the holy Super mario Bros 3.

It was wildly creative, iconic is about every area one can be, and captured your imagination better then pretty much any other platformer of it's day.

You can't just lift it's concepts and put them into a new game and expect the same sort of experience.

This is all very true. Compare tropical freeze to this game. Tropical freeze excels because it isn't just trying to be a throwback, it's just trying to be a damn good game.

Davey Cakes

YIDS and DKCTF are both more difficult than YI1, both on average and if you are comparing the most difficult parts.
I could 100% Yoshi's Island without too much difficulty. Can't say the same for YIDS; it's a much more difficult game overall if you're going for full completion.

McDougles

My colleague reviewed the game for GameSided. 6.5/10

GameSided said:
Ultimately, Yoshi’s New Island is your typical, run-of-the-mill platformer that offers nothing new to the player that we haven’t seen before. While there is the saying of don’t fix what isn’t broke, Yoshi’s New Island is a game that had a lot of potential, but just didn’t grab the attention of this reviewer as much as I would’ve hoped in the way of challenge and design.

Ansatz

Nintendo Insider's last paragraph / summary of the game's merits:

What number do you think someone would apply to this summary. Sounds pretty damn bad, right?

7 out of 10

This is why I can't trust sites with 'Nintendo' in the name, and why the review scale in games media is so messed up. A disappointing, half-baked game is two points above average? What the hell?

Fair play to the UK publications of Edge, Eurogamer and Metro for calling it like it is. The text of most of these reviews seems exactly the same, the score they apply is what changes.

Here's the headline of Joystiq's 4/5 review:
Yoshi's New Island review: Not quite dino-might

Different expectations depending on track record is the only logical explanation, we expect nothing short of timeless masterpieces from Nintendo.

You must be joking.

Nope, not joking. I can 100% Yoshi's Island pretty easily. It's a super fun platformer, but challenge wasn't ever its thing, at least not for me. As was mentioned YIDS was much harder, I never did 100% that one.

Top Bottom