• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMA about One Piece

nush

I’m gonna need you to pass on this story of a lifetime to future generations man

I did my part.

0f4349242383afa965c0f5f44ee53404.jpg

and the toys.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Usopp may have his haters, but they know. They know never to even think of picking a fight with the Almighty Soppmaster

Ceallach Ceallach You wake up in the dead of night with little energy, scarcely enough to even lift a bottle of water to your lips to sip an eighth an ounce of water. Feverishly, you ache. And then all of a sudden, a rumbling and thunderous footsteps gather closer and closer to your door, before it is fully kicked off the hinges, glides over your head and takes off the top portion of your hair rendering you the ‘friar’ look. Your would-be petrified eyes (if not for the astronomical threat in front of you) dart frantically to the sight of Kratos and Zeus, chests heaving in anger / fists clenching with, pulsating veins and arms shivering with rage, angrily pointing at their kin Atreus, who lies below your bed with a blade deep in his deltoid. They are at full power. You are bedridden, with the strength of a soybean, even wakefulness alone being far too taxing to bear. Yet in front of you are two foes seething with the intention to annihilate, wanting nothing more than to unleash their full wrath upon you

Multiply the battle power of Kratos and Zues combined by about 8.3, and you have what it would be like to face Usopp
on his bad day

You see, Fushitsusha Fushitsusha , Ceallach Ceallach hates Usopp, but he dares not disrespect him. The Sniper King is too modest. He feigns fearfulness, but in reality, Usopp has the ability to take on all the sea kings in the Grand Line, in a half asleep drunken stupor. It’s all part of the plan

FRNc83o.gif

Mihawk is an interesting character. He’s the strongest swordsman. But if you want my opinion, Shanks is on a completely different level. Based off what I’ve seen and know, and many other long time fans have seen, we can assume as much. There are a few instances in which this is made clear. I hope nobody will spoil it for you on youtube or anywhere (or maybe you are one who doesn’t mind looking forward into upcoming arcs) because there are some legendary arcs ahead with some admirable moments to witness. If you have found that One Piece is a highly enjoyable anime / manga experience, you’ll get there before you even know it and then soon after, finding yourself revisiting the crazy scenes and such all the time lmao. That’s just how it goes with One Piece. Once you see something insane you’re going to want to see it a dozen more times at least

With Shanks, it’s tough to say just how strong he is because we still know very little. But based off what I’ve seen and have considered, overall prowess, Shanks is a top 6 character. In my mind, based off of theories I think align with what is most likely accurate, his placement is
currently the 3rd most powerful character in One Piece. But at that level, it’s a game of inches. He’s probably the greatest pirate alive currently, save Luffy, but Blackbeard is so treacherous and hard to read at this point that I suspect I could be wrong. And then there are two others...I have in mind. And then still, there are three others more currently ...It’s all very tough to say who is the strongest character and/or pirate. There has been just enough info to go off of, and contemplate this topic, but barely enough to come to any conclusive answers

But there is one character you must see. I would say that anyone who enjoys anime must see and know this character with full context. But unfortunately for most casual anime watchers, they will likely not reach that far in the anime

But I’d like to share a little story and song that sort of relate to the character I’m speaking of and how I feel. The character’s contributions and actions left such an impression upon me, that one day in the gym I played a song from the game, Shadow of the Colossus (PS2), and a certain part in the song reminded me mid-set of this character, and (his/her) unbelievable, enormous presence in the related arc to said character. I was doing heavy dumbell lunges, suffering or more accurately said, ‘enduring’ through these very strenuous working sets of walking lunges, trying to pull everything I had from the reserves of my will and spirit to stay in the zone and continue past the burn of those final reps, endure the microtearing of the prolonged eccentric part of the lunge and contract the muscles with all my concentration, sweat pouring and surrounding my skin like a full on layer of water. And when I heard this part in the song, it reminded me of said character and the legendary everything that had taken place and it all brought out within me the most insane willpower and strength to persevere to reach my goals and achieve. Seriously helped me tap into some Zoro level training intensity; since I had to endure crazy amounts of time under tension. Listen to 0:54 to about 1:42 — that part of the track makes me think of this character. Imagine a warrior so fierce and powerful, so above the rest that you almost wonder if human. Basically like witnessing several conquerers all in one. Ghenghis Khan + Alexander the Great + Attila the Hun but in One Piece form as a single protagonist/antagonist however you see it as. It’s like going up against an angel of death, seeing a demigod challenge men, fight men, yet this character is definitely human...Imagine that level. This character imo is the most impressive I have seen in my entire time watching various anime (although I hear Guts is otherworldly as well). It’s just fucking insane, this character. And all that this character has displayed in such short time. All in one arc. Fucking legendary. It’s just legendary, no other way to describe the statement this character made through all efforts. So amazing, that the arc passes by quicker than you can even realize; that’s how high in entertainment value it is. To me, at least it was. Man......

0:54 to 1:42

GOAT post with one of the GOAT soundtracks. Check out Sky Odyssey on the PS2 for some more Kow Ohtani works, of which there are sadly not many on the VGM side of things. The game itself is pure arcade-like gameplay goodness, something that can be returned to often. Coincidentally with this thread he has composed for different animes but I've never searched it out. With the rest of your text, rest assured it is studied and remembered closely and will go back to it several times the further I advance in the show and knowledge so it is very much appreciated. :messenger_fistbump::messenger_peace:

Looking forward to see these things transpire.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Look at his nose. Now imagine the dick. There is probably hentai of this.
My friend sent me some One Piece hentai out of the blue yesterday
East Blue

It started off with a certain Straw Hat. Then later that night well past 3am he decided to share some of forbidden goods. This hentai was so fucking funny to me, personally. And I'm not gonna lie, it was well conceived too. Pretty good stuff. But it was just so fucking funny for several reasons hahahaha

It's a good thing Usopp's a faithful boyfriend and is waiting for his girl Kaya back home at Syrup Village. Otherwise, I'm not so sure he'd even be alive at this point. Can you imagine if a girl got curious and just started riding his nose? He could drown...

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Oda's female side characters are always so cute.

I'm convinced he started drawing Nami and Robin and everyone the way he does once he saw those figure checks start rolling in.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'll see the end before I die?
Your ass better survive bruh, I’m only going to have like two people that I know of to discuss it all with once it ends. I’m not sure how many people on this site have caught up and are ready to go. My need is for Fushitsusha Fushitsusha , brap brap , Ceallach Ceallach to continue the voyage. Need others aboard too so when that day comes, we’re having a monstrous GAF banquet all across the forums discussing all the glorious days and times we had watching One Piece—discussing long into the nights and spilling drink on plenty of blouses. There will be a booth for One Piece tattoos as well, free of cost. I’m getting Usopp tatted on my forehead

Oda's female side characters are always so cute.

I'm convinced he started drawing Nami and Robin and everyone the way he does once he saw those figure checks start rolling in.
Seriously. The women in One Piece are gorgeous

btw,

MJCw8aD.jpg

Yoboman

Baratie arc = 10/10
Dressrosa arc = 9.8/10
Drum Island arc = 10/10
Enies Lobby arc = 10/10
Fish-Man Island arc = 9.0/10
Impel Down arc = 10/10
Jaya arc = 8.9/10
Levely arc = 7.0/10
Little Garden arc = 7.4/10
Loguetown arc = 8.2/10
Long Ring Long Land arc (filler) = Did not rate
Marineford arc = 10/10
Orange Town arc = 6.7/10
Post-Enies Lobby arc = 10/10
Post-War arc = 8.5/10
Punk Hazard arc = 8.7/10
Return to Sabaody arc = 7.6/10
Reverse Mountain arc = 8.8/10
Romance Dawn arc = 10/10
Long ring long land isn't filler

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Your ass better survive bruh, I’m only going to have like two people that I know of to discuss it all with once it ends. I’m not sure how many people on this site have caught up and are ready to go. My need is for Fushitsusha Fushitsusha , brap brap , Ceallach Ceallach to continue the voyage. Need others aboard too so when that day comes, we’re having a monstrous GAF banquet all across the forums discussing all the glorious days and times we had watching One Piece—discussing long into the nights and spilling drink on plenty of blouses. There will be a booth for One Piece tattoos as well, free of cost. I’m getting Usopp tatted on my forehead

Seriously. The women in One Piece are gorgeous

btw,

MJCw8aD.jpg
I'm up to Wano, but out of One Piece until I get back.

By the way my favorite designs are
#1 Nico Robin
2434105-render_nicorobin.png

She's so cool and smart, and her backstory is just the best. Tons of interesting visual effets with her powers even if she is really underutilized I feel.

#2 Perona
2-5.jpg

Such an interesting Goth design, the queen of ghosts is the best.

#3 Charlotte Pudding
Charlotte.Pudding.600.2442965.jpg

She's so fucking devious, contrary to how she looks and seems at first. I love it.

LOL, I'll try!! :messenger_horns: :messenger_beaming:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Long ring long land isn't filler
Wow you're right. I wonder why I thought it was? Maybe I accidentally read it or thought I had somewhere...

It makes sense now that I think about it. It was all extremely entertaining and there were plenty of times when I was nervous and on the edge of my seat wondering how it would play out. Very close. I'm going to have to rate it sometime this week; give it a fair scoring based on what the arc was likely intending to accomplish, and also for fun. That was a fun arc, I liked it a lot

There is only one Waifu and her name is Alvida. Dat devil fruit transformation....

0bGX9Md.jpg
Lmao aw hellll no man. Bitch looks like a damn barrel of fried cheese jalapeño poppers drenched in fucking lard. Coby needs to get his revenge on that disgusting + disguised Snorlax of a walrus if they ever meet at sea again

How long can Luffy stretch his dick?
We don't know man, Luffy hasn't even gone on a date yet. Only certain females may have intel on his rubber wood

Cutty Flam

Banned
Alabasta done. Hype me up for the next part Cutty Flam Cutty Flam ! How would you describe it?
OHHHYEAAAAHHH!!!!!!!! Suuuuuperrrrr hyped about it Fushitsusha Fushitsusha I hope you enjoyed it to its fullest. I tried to advise new fans earlier to have the patience in each arc; as it took me three sagas to realize that I missed out a slight bit, by not paying full attention at maybe a stretch of a few episodes or so in each of them. It wasn’t until the third saga I was actually confronted and taught by the anime itself (Oda really) that my lack of patience was a huge mistake; everything adds up

That’s a huge deal. Alabasta saga is pretty extensive. Would love to hear anything that stood out in your opinion (or anyone else’s if they’ve gotten as far) about the entire string of arcs before Alabasta and the Alabasta arc itself but the next saga is a very wild trip. Things are definitely amplified

I’ll try to give a spoiler-free little summary of what to expect next soon. I actually wrote a little summary but had to delete it because this upcoming saga should be something you see unfold for yourself. Very good saga. There’s a really cool arc with an outstanding fight (imo) preceding the main arc of the saga

It’s a memorable one for sure. Curious to hear what you think of it. I would hope others don’t spoil anything for you. I know I wanted to talk about it and give spoiler-free glimpses of what to expect but I ended up going a bit overboard myself

Fushitsusha

Banned
OHHHYEAAAAHHH!!!!!!!! Suuuuuperrrrr hyped about it Fushitsusha Fushitsusha I hope you enjoyed it to its fullest. I tried to advise new fans earlier to have the patience in each arc; as it took me three sagas to realize that I missed out a slight bit, by not paying full attention at maybe a stretch of a few episodes or so in each of them. It wasn’t until the third saga I was actually confronted and taught by the anime itself (Oda really) that my lack of patience was a huge mistake; everything adds up

That’s a huge deal. Alabasta saga is pretty extensive. Would love to hear anything that stood out in your opinion (or anyone else’s if they’ve gotten as far) about the entire string of arcs before Alabasta and the Alabasta arc itself but the next saga is a very wild trip. Things are definitely amplified

I’ll try to give a spoiler-free little summary of what to expect next soon. I actually wrote a little summary but had to delete it because this upcoming saga should be something you see unfold for yourself. Very good saga. There’s a really cool arc with an outstanding fight (imo) preceding the main arc of the saga

It’s a memorable one for sure. Curious to hear what you think of it. I would hope others don’t spoil anything for you. I know I wanted to talk about it and give spoiler-free glimpses of what to expect but I ended up going a bit overboard myself
My impression from this thread is that Skypiea Sky Island is where some quit watching or take an extended break? Along with your comment to have patience this actually makes me more curious if anything. I checked how you ranked it. Seems promising.
Would love to hear anything that stood out in your opinion (or anyone else’s if they’ve gotten as far) about the entire string of arcs before Alabasta and the Alabasta arc itself but the next saga is a very wild trip.
No one actually died lol. Pell, Chaka and Igaram. Pell was especially laughable how worthless he was. Stupid bird keeps getting shot and crashing. This got rectified later with the "ultimate sacrifice". He was a good character still. Queen being absent (photograph at the end). Poison and the handy antidote (Why not give it to him before the beatdown, story-wise? Luffy is a freak but he shouldn't be able to shake off being poisoned that easily. I get it though, showing his resolve and strength, but it removes some tension). Zoro's steel cutting technique. Nothing really significant haha, unless you had something specific in mind.
Crocodile and Nico Robin
Crocodile was a cool villain. The best and most proper one so far? Good voice acting and a very cold, calculated manner especially and it was always "just one more episode" to see what his plans are. His scenes were something extra. Robin is useless so far just reading books for several episodes, rather have Vivi join. It was obvious she was not entirely on Croc's side, helping the team several times or on standby during confrontations. And being in the opening before things had concluded :messenger_tongue:

A favorite thing is seeing the bounty for Luffy grow and everyone's reaction. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
My impression from this thread is that Skypiea Sky Island is where some quit watching or take an extended break? Along with your comment to have patience this actually makes me more curious if anything. I checked how you ranked it. Seems promising.

No one actually died lol. Pell, Chaka and Igaram. Pell was especially laughable how worthless he was. Stupid bird keeps getting shot and crashing. This got rectified later with the "ultimate sacrifice". He was a good character still. Queen being absent (photograph at the end). Poison and the handy antidote (Why not give it to him before the beatdown, story-wise? Luffy is a freak but he shouldn't be able to shake off being poisoned that easily. I get it though, showing his resolve and strength, but it removes some tension). Zoro's steel cutting technique. Nothing really significant haha, unless you had something specific in mind.

Crocodile was a cool villain. The best and most proper one so far? Good voice acting and a very cold, calculated manner especially and it was always "just one more episode" to see what his plans are. His scenes were something extra. Robin is useless so far just reading books for several episodes, rather have Vivi join. It was obvious she was not entirely on Croc's side, helping the team several times or on standby during confrontations. And being in the opening before things had concluded :messenger_tongue:

A favorite thing is seeing the bounty for Luffy grow and everyone's reaction. :messenger_beaming:
Fushitsusha Fushitsusha

Very interesting takes. It's been a while since I've watched it. I remember Pell and most of what happened to him but Chaka I cannot remember a single thing that he did lol. I vaguely remember his form maybe? I can't even recall what happened. Igaram is funny. I was so amused with his antics and his entire fight at the end of Whiskey Peak. He say stupid shit, "Mah Mahh Mahhhh!" and has a hilarious fighting style. When he blasted his saxophone at Roronoa Zoro and Zoro was embarrassed at even having to be in such a fight I was on the verge of laughter. Funny guy. Also kind of hilarious that the ship at seas gets blown up in dramatic fashion yet nothing happened lolololol same with Pell at some point; I'm surprised they both pulled through

As for the poison and antidote bit, I forgot what happened there as well. I know that Crocodile had nearly killed Luffy not just through impalement with his hook, but there was poison in it as well. It may have something to do with Luffy's Devil Fruit powers. But who had the antidote and gave it to Luffy? And when? I can't remember if it was King Cobra or Nico Robin?

Overall I think Alabasta saga was a steady ride of so to say with a lot of good moments. I enjoyed the fun aspects of it and the heart shown by the characters a lot. The fights themselves were decent. In the actual Alabasta arc itself I think the prospect of Luffy losing like (I want to say) three times (?) before defeating Crocodile is a testament to just how tough of an opponent Crocodile is. He showed mercy, and that's where he failed. Luffy was so lucky that Nico Robin was there t the time to pull him out. I always wonder exactly what were her motives? Did she pull out Monkey D Luffy from his burial site out of empathy? Was it because she didn't want to see Crocodile kill? Was it because she was simply curious about Luffy and the name he carries?

Actually, I think I have my answers after some thought. It plays in with her character now that I think of it. Personally, I love Nico Robin. She's an amazing Straw Hat and I'm glad to see her in every scene she's in

All in all, an amazing saga. So much took place. So many people both friend and foe and those in the background along the way. I love the sheer amount of people involved in this monumental undertaking of saving Alabasta and was glad to have Vivi and Karoo along for the ride. There were so any people that played their part. Espcially enjoyed reminiscing about that old man who continued to dig in the hot desert for water all those years and keeping hope alive. And Ace was a really cool ally as well, seeing how he handled everything. Even Zoro and Sanji had little to do but act like younger sibling in respect in his presence. Ace is a strong pirate. I wonder, at that time, just how much stronger he was? Interesting to gauge given the stories ahead and what to make of that question. Also loved that Kung Fu Dugong and his students all accepting Luffy as sensei hahaha. Chopper toughing it out in the heat all that time like a man. His climate of choice is polar opposite to Alabasta and the thing was they were all water deprived as well which makes things infinitely harsher fighting in a foreign country for its liberation and salvation from a depraved tyrant and warlord of the sea / Shichibukai. I was fond of all the Mugiwara Pirates and how they handled themselves. Although, Nami's fight was pretty damn weak. It's a good thing Usopp is highly innovative in his weaponry otherwise she would have never made it. At the time I was watching it, I wasn't much impressed with the fights in the Alabasta arc. In my preferences, Luffy and Zoro had the most interesting fights. And I also loved how Usopp and Chopper navigated through danger as a team on their own little 2v2. At the time, I was in the moment and not thinking much of it, but that was a dope fight. Chopper is only 15 years old I think at that time, and has little to no experience as a pirate (this being his first major fight in life or death battle) and yet he holds his own, acts as the leader even until Usopp shows what he's about. The speech, the belief, the ability to fight to the last breath despite being pulverized and in horrendous shape still gives it his all and comes up with a plan in a pinch that saves both their asses. Like I said, I wasn't really seeing it at the time, but that fight shines some light on those two. When it counted, Usopp rose to the occasion as he should have being the more experienced fighter at that time. Chopper was only getting his feet wet so I'm glad Usopp was the one to step up, have the last say and lead them to a team victory in the way that he did. The fights were okay, there are plenty of fights ahead. This was only the beginning. The first taste of how formidable the Grand Line can be or become depending on what is facing you head on in the moment and scope of things. Alabasta is the warm up; the meritorious first major endeavor on the Grand Line....

"Yes... The Grand Line... I've seen pirates who've managed to make it back from that voyage... They're broken men, almost zombies! You can tell just by looking at 'em... Whether pirates or monsters... They've seen terrible things. None will speak of it... But the sight of em's proof enough... The Grand Line is a place of horror!"

-Gaimon

Just some fun videos of Alabasta

This one I am fond of, the song played when Ace greets the lost and alone Luffy. A brother standing right beside him, looking out for him and there he is. It's a very touching reunion

LOOOOOL!!!!! Whoever came up with that in the studio needs to be given some kind of award. Sometimes Oda will come up with something stupid as fuck that you can't help but shake your head and laugh at it's so ridiculous. It's that little bro type of humor that you have to love lol, funny stuff

BRILLIANT ending song. Encompasses much of the sentiment of distress I can imagine Vivi is feeling until Luffy had set it straight and made it clear that she should call upon them. When Carue senses her pain from the overwhelming burden and dilemma of having an entire nation's fate all on her shoulders. It's crushing her but she must go on and continue to fight. And then at her lowest point her new friends are there and smiling on and she is one of the pack as if she always was. A very beautiful message in this one I have always thought

Cutty Flam

Banned
Fushitsusha Fushitsusha

The departure from
Alabasta was something....

It was tough to see her stay, but the way it ended is glorious. This is a legendary story

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Also, would highly advise that people who are not current with manga and anime never to read the comments in the youtube videos or look at the video past the last second of any said video to avoid thumbnails of videos that might be ahead of your current chapter or episode. It's happened like half a dozen to a dozen times where a youtube comment or a youtube video thumbnail completely gave something away or in essence gave a hint that lead to figuring something out. These fans are not clever about reducing spoilers; it's spoiler city there just to give a heads up

Why is it so ugly?
I thought the same thing before I had given it a chance. I was watching Hunter x Hunter like the near the beginning to middle of it when one day my coworkers and I were all discussing One Piece. Only one of us (three of us total) were caught up in the anime (the friend who told me about it in the first place and had suggested it) and us other two were just talking about it deciding we'd both check out a random episode. Well later that day after work, I relaxed in my bed, put the wired ipod earbuds on and picked an episode at random. I picked episode 474, which I would later find out, happened to be where one of Luffy's most daring feats would take place. But to get back on point, I was heavily off-put by the looks of the anime. I thought it was strange at the time. I thought it was childish (mainly because at the time I watched that few seconds with English DUB of all things) and the characters were so different from any other cartoon or style I had seen that nothing really added up. It was very foreign to me at the time and I completely dismissed the anime after like idk maybe 20-30 seconds of checking out that episode at random. I even heavily ridiculed it with my friend who had also looked up some things the next day when we were all at work. It wasn't until like another 7 months or so maybe longer (after I had watched HxH) that I decided to give it a try. My fiend had told me that Luffy has as much resolve as Gon when I had asked him for a similar character to Gon. He put his fingers to his chin, looked up in though, and said "Luffy" and I was in disbelief but also sort of impressed at his answer (bc my friend is very concise and intelligent mathematics / hardcore deep thinking type) and I was more or less astounded that Luffy could even be close to Gon. Luffy looked like a little boy, just a kid. But at the time, I knew little about anime

The art style is incredibly unique to any other. Once you give it a chance, you might find that it grows on you or maybe you will completely forget about it like I did because the story drew me in like no other

Jon Neu

Banned
Compared with what?

With any well drawn manga.

A lot of times I don't even know what's happening in the manga because is so bloated and badly draw is not even funny.

Oda can make some beautiful illustrations DB style, but the manga itself isn't that well executed.

Last edited:

Yoboman

A lot of times I don't even know what's happening in the manga because is so bloated and badly draw is not even funny.

Oda can make some beautiful illustrations DB style, but the manga itself isn't that well executed.
I just want to know what the comparison is? Obviously its not Berserk level, it will always be limited by the weekly time frame

But compared to other weekly shonen? I would put One Piece near the top, especially as Oda has grown in talent over the years. His environments, framing, panel layouts and flow, unique characters and world design.

I agree some panels occasionally have readability issues but I put that down to the combination of time limitation and trying to keep the backgrounds detailed - whereas a lot of manga illustrators seem to just go with the most basic environments imaginable (Bleach being the most guilty example)

Cutty Flam

Banned

I've only recently started reading the manga last few months because the manga is a fair amount ahead of the anime, but Wano Kuni is gorgeously drawn and conceived. The world building and attention to detail is very high up there

But I know what you mean. There is so much to take in that it can be a bit overwhelming, at times. You don’t want to miss a detail but there is an absurd amount of detail sometimes and the focal points are so intriguing that you can’t help but want to progress quickly to see what happens next

It’s a good dilemma to have, I cannot complain about it all, but I’m aware that it is kind of conflicting to have so much of a good thing that it’s overwhelming. That ‘problem’ in of itself, is a good thing though imo; a very good if not great problem to have 😄😁

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Check out this fan made piano medley of One Piece. He does such a tremendous job. I haven’t seen anything as good as this. All the OPs

But if you haven’t seen all the Straw Hat members, I would avoid watching the animation playing next to his piano as he plays; the spoilers go as far as Dressrosa arc, to a small degree you will see some things involving Dressrosa

Perfect piano playing, this guy has the best piano medley I’ve ever heard. It brings everything to life

Top Bottom