• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMA about One Piece

Fushitsusha

Banned
Fushitsusha Fushitsusha after Sky Island Saga concludes, is arguably the greatest stretch of arcs in One Piece. IMO, you're close to witnessing something next lvl, and from there it only gets crazier
Already moist hearing this, but please tell me a bit more. Which span of episodes are we talking about here? When is Marineford and Dressrosa?

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam New Resident Evil 8 trailer tomorrow (maybe). :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I just started watching it this week, I think I'm on episode 4 or 5 now.

Fuck yeah man, very solid choice--glad you've decided to introduce yourself to One Piece. What are you thinking after those first 4-5 episodes?
Already moist hearing this, but please tell me a bit more. Which span of episodes are we talking about here? When is Marineford and Dressrosa?

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam New Resident Evil 8 trailer tomorrow (maybe). :messenger_savoring:
Hmm, let me see if I can do this without getting monstrously hyped up lol. You're very close to my personal favorite pocket of arcs in the entire anime, I was definitely amazed. I'll say this: Once you reach episode 229, you may find yourself immensely captivated for a very long time, until episode 519. I won't tell you which arcs or sagas are next by naming them, but rest assured, that you are about to witness some serious fucking arcs within the aforementioned episodes. If you're near close to finishing Skypiea or done with it, then you have one fun little arc coming up, a brief one, and then you might need to brace yourself and take a deep breath because things are about to get preety fucking intense with where you're at lol

As for Resident Evil 8, that's going to be interesting. I finished Resident Evil: Zero last week loooooool. It took me five months of constant effort to complete on the hardest difficulty. I actually made a few people upset with the amount of RE0 threads I made and ended up getting reported lmaooo. Good times. Glad that nightmare of a game is over with now. I was actually thinking about making either RE2 REmake or RE7 my next title to work on since RE8 is likely out Holiday 2021 I'd guess. I really want to see what's up with that lady in the extremely wealthy clothing and the pompous looking hat, she was so unnerving to look at in the trailer. I still don't know, something about that villain that is very unsettling to me...I think she might be an advanced humanoid B.O.W. affected circa RE6. Just a little theory, but I think she might be a
Gnezdo

DESTROYA

Not sure how to approach this series .
Do I read the Manga or watch the Anime ? Is there any difference between the two or is the anime pretty faithful ?

Cutty Flam

Banned
57960.jpg

Do I read the Manga or watch the Anime ? Is there any difference between the two or is the anime pretty faithful ?
I’ve only read the current arc, the rest I’ve watched. I would say start with the anime. The animation plus the soundtrack will open up the experience and showcase Oda's exceptional gift for world building

The manga is incredible. But I can’t speak for anything besides the last 50 chapters or so because that’s when I started (the manga is several months ahead of the anime) Maybe somebody else can tell us their experience when they started reading One Piece through. It’s 10/10 work from what I have read. Very concise and and creative always. But again, I started reading during what will likely end up being the most exhilarating arc in all of One Piece when it is said and done. Eiichiro Oda himself has said it himself. So all I've seen of what the manga has to offer is pure action and greatness chapter for chapter lol. But I can tell you here, where I'm reading, it is outstanding

down 2 orth

Fuck yeah man, very solid choice--glad you've decided to introduce yourself to One Piece. What are you thinking after those first 4-5 episodes?

They're pretty good. I just left Japan, so I'm looking for ways to keep my Japanese sharp while not being in the country anymore. Even though anime is a less than ideal choice for learning Japanese, I think watching the show will help, and I do think it's pretty entertaining.

My first experience watching the show was randomly selecting the island of amazons episode, and that was nothing short of hilarious.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This might be one of the most impressive tracks / songs in the entire anime

Be careful not to look if you haven't reached up to Whole Cake Island, a very important, unusually unique, and high ranking enemy is in the thumbnail of the video. You do not want to spoil yourself this, excellent villain through and through (one of the YONKO) so I wanted to give pre-warning before actual spoilers

But to those who have reached this point in the anime, just wanted to say that this track and the scene that goes with it, is a lot of things...It certainly set the tone for the arc

I want to see Big Mom killed more than any other Yonko. It would be more impressive to see Kaido's death, but to see Big Mom defeated and killed, preferably by Luffy would bring more satisfaction than I can relay in a post. What a twisted, vile, utterly insane villain she is. Probably the most complex villain in the series? Maybe right next to Blackbeard? I think she might be

But to get back to those two videos, I thought it was kind of cringey at first watch. Then I watched it again and saw a lot more. This is such a crazy way to introduce an arc and the very first Yonko that Luffy and his crew will cross and wage war with directly. She's crazy. Fucking up her own Islands and their innocent inhabitants for ingredients... for a cake she's looking forward to. Aims to increase her standing and fortify her strength as Yonko by means of a political marriage. Plans to kill the groom's family by forcing her own daughter (and faux bride to Sanji) to KILL THE GROOM. She enslaves people's spirits and actually taxes their very spirit and has them sacrifice increments of their life so that can stay in Totto Land. Has like five or six dozen husbands; she's like a female spider in that way she just multiplies and does as she pleases to her mates. Has 85 children and all of them are expendable to her, and there to use as she sees fit / for whatever her unpredictable and chaotic mind wishes. Collects sentient 'exotic' beings like they're plush toys that were meant to rot away in her Chateau or wherever she places them to collect dust and wither away under her grotesque, selfish, form of captivity. The list goes on and on

I think Big Mom is by far the most odious character in One Piece

Kaido has shown some level of mercy to his enemies, but Big Mom is obscene in every way imaginable. Definitely the worst this series has to offer. I fucking hate Big Mom's ways[/spoiler[

Yoboman

The anime is very faithful but also poorly paced. But like Cutty Flam Cutty Flam said, its worth watching some of the Anime because the voice work and music are so good, and I think it gives you a good feel of the world and characters, and the early arcs the pacing is better

But overall, the manga is way way better than the Anime. And even if you watch the Anime, you should read the manga from chapter 1

Cutty Flam

Banned
Question that entered my mind, and I don't know if anyone at the end of Fish-Man Island or past that arc can even answer but I'll let it fly anyway

Fish-Man Island spoilers / potential (but merely speculation) ending of One Piece discussion may ensue if any others have any ideas in mind - just so everyone is warned properly before clicking:

Shyarly predicted that Monkey D. Luffy would be the one "to destroy the Fish-Man Island"

It will be destroyed "at his hands" and she envisages Luffy standing in the flames probably indicating great destruction on a massive level. Is the final fight, at some point, going to reach the Fish-Man Island? How would that even come about? Is it possible that Luffy will battle the Big Mom Pirates below sea, at Fish-Man Island and detonate a weapon maybe with the help of Shirahoshi? Will he summon the Sea Kings himself or with her help and detonate a weapon is the main question, assuming Shyarly is correct in her prediction...

I never even thought that the Straw-Hat Pirates might return there at any point tbh, but maybe they will. What would cause them to plummet 10,000 feet below the sea again though? I would have to think Jinbe would be the only one to make it happen quickly, because it was a hassle getting the ship bubble coated and took like a few days iirc? Ok nvm I forgot they allowed the Mugiwara Pirates bubble-like helmets and things like that once they were considered allies of Neptune and them. Maybe they would be ready to provide such useful things immediately for them this time around after all that took place at the Fish-Man Island. Possibly someone attempts to kill Shirahoshi there....

I have a few theories laid out in the spoilers that get fairly in-depth and into much later arcs so anyone who does not wish to spoil themselves, don't even think about it lol

Yoboman

Question that entered my mind, and I don't know if anyone at the end of Fish-Man Island or past that arc can even answer but I'll let it fly anyway

Fish-Man Island spoilers / potential (but merely speculation) ending of One Piece discussion may ensue if any others have any ideas in mind - just so everyone is warned properly before clicking:

Shyarly predicted that Monkey D. Luffy would be the one "to destroy the Fish-Man Island"

It will be destroyed "at his hands" and she envisages Luffy standing in the flames probably indicating great destruction on a massive level. Is the final fight, at some point, going to reach the Fish-Man Island? How would that even come about? Is it possible that Luffy will battle the Big Mom Pirates below sea, at Fish-Man Island and detonate a weapon maybe with the help of Shirahoshi? Will he summon the Sea Kings himself or with her help and detonate a weapon is the main question, assuming Shyarly is correct in her prediction...

I never even thought that the Straw-Hat Pirates might return there at any point tbh, but maybe they will. What would cause them to plummet 10,000 feet below the sea again though? I would have to think Jinbe would be the only one to make it happen quickly, because it was a hassle getting the ship bubble coated and took like a few days iirc? Ok nvm I forgot they allowed the Mugiwara Pirates bubble-like helmets and things like that once they were considered allies of Neptune and them. Maybe they would be ready to provide such useful things immediately for them this time around after all that took place at the Fish-Man Island. Possibly someone attempts to kill Shirahoshi there....

I have a few theories laid out in the spoilers that get fairly in-depth and into much later arcs so anyone who does not wish to spoil themselves, don't even think about it lol

There is the theory that Luffy or somebody else will destroy the Red Line. That the Red Line was constructed by the world nobles and it created a society where all four seas are divided from eachother and nearly impossible to travel and the world nobles live on top.

Destroying the red line allows all seas to become connected again, and that is One Piece. Putting world back into One Piece. Once the ocean currents start flowing again, the unusual weather patterns of the Grand Line and Calm Belt stop.

It also explains Sanji's dream being achieved, which is currently unachievable. As All Blue is said to be a place where all four seas meet. However that is impossible with the known geography of the world

Of course, if the red line is destroyed then it will come down on top of Fishman Island

Cutty Flam

Banned
There is the theory that Luffy or somebody else will destroy the Red Line. That the Red Line was constructed by the world nobles and it created a society where all four seas are divided from eachother and nearly impossible to travel and the world nobles live on top.

Destroying the red line allows all seas to become connected again, and that is One Piece. Putting world back into One Piece. Once the ocean currents start flowing again, the unusual weather patterns of the Grand Line and Calm Belt stop.

It also explains Sanji's dream being achieved, which is currently unachievable. As All Blue is said to be a place where all four seas meet. However that is impossible with the known geography of the world

Of course, if the red line is destroyed then it will come down on top of Fishman Island
Really well thought out and interesting

Yours makes more sense because I can’t really see Luffy backtracking at all. At least I don’t think he has once yet...Keeps on advancing towards new territory and adventure

I wonder how those living at Fish-Man Island will evacuate though...Will they know of the war going on above? Will they be a part of it? Will Shyarly have another vision warning them or will she see the event taking place more clearly?

I can really visualize it now a bit more thanks to that theory. Thanks. Even if that theory is 100% on the money it’s going to still be epic as fuck seeing that happen, however it may be presented at the time. And maybe even Luffy destroying the Noah was foreshadowing. He nearly took down what like 55-60% of that ark, a piece of their history that was about to destroy their island. And in the future he might use a weapon + beat down the Red Line in like some insane new transformation. Just throwing out possibilities

Cutty Flam

Banned
TTOOLL TTOOLL
Hinedorf Hinedorf
Yoboman Yoboman
Majukun Majukun

Question for you fellas. Thought provoking and fairly tough question as well so I wont expect any sort of answer but I was thinking about this (in the event or possibility that it might happen...)

Who would win in this fight?
Kaido's Three All-Stars + several others to make an equal match Vs. all Big Mom Pirates that arrived on Big Mom's ship to Wano ?????????

King, Queen Jack + Several of the Tobiroppo (X Drake, Page One, Ulti, Who's Who, Sasaki, Black Maria) Versus Perospero, Smoothie, Daifuku, Mont-d'Or, Amande, Galette + there are ten others that we have seen on the ship accompany Big Mom into Wano

Do we even have enough information to make an accurate guess? I'm thinking Kaido's squad has sheer power and force on his squad but Big Mom has more Devil Fruit users who might out-wit and turn a fight in their favor should they catch them off guard at any point

Theory is that at some point, there may be an event that calls off the alliance between the two and they all turn against one another and commence battle. I still think Zoro will end up fighting Jack the Drought at some point though, at the very least I think one member off the SH Pirates will clash with one of the three main headliners of the Beast Pirates, if only briefly

vs

Last edited:

TTOOLL

I'm terrible at predicting things but I would guess Kaido, just because I haven't seen enough of him and his crew.
On the other hand we saw Luffy taking down Big Mom's strongest asset, Katakuri, so it gives us a better understanding in terms of power levels.
I have no idea what King and Queen are capable of.

Yoboman

TTOOLL TTOOLL
Hinedorf Hinedorf
Yoboman Yoboman
Majukun Majukun

Question for you fellas. Thought provoking and fairly tough question as well so I wont expect any sort of answer but I was thinking about this (in the event or possibility that it might happen...)

Kaido's Three All-Stars + several others to make an equal match Vs. all Big Mom Pirates that arrived on Big Mom's ship to Wano ?????????

King, Queen Jack + Several of the Tobiroppo (X Drake, Page One, Ulti, Who's Who, Sasaki, Black Maria) Versus Perospero, Smoothie, Daifuku, Mont-d'Or, Amande, Galette + there are ten others that we have seen on the ship accompany Big Mom into Wano

Do we even have enough information to make an accurate guess? I'm thinking Kaido's squad has sheer power and force on his squad but Big Mom has more Devil Fruit users who might out-wit and turn a fight in their favor should they catch them off guard at any point

Theory is that at some point, there may be an event that calls off the alliance between the two and they all turn against one another and commence battle. I still think Zoro will end up fighting Jack the Drought at some point though, at the very least I think one member off the SH Pirates will clash with one of the three main headliners of the Beast Pirates, if only briefly

vs

Its hard to guess but if we take bounties as a measuring stick then all 3 of the calamities are over 1 billion. Which should put them at Katakuri/Luffy level or higher

But at the same time, Jack has been stopped by Ashura, Neko and Inuarashi so its hard to really estimate if its his strength or something else leading to that bounty

Queen held his own against Big Mom. Obviously a step below, but didn't get finished.

King seems like he would be the strongest

Perospero seems like a step below Katakuri based on bounty (700m) and Smoothie is a bit higher on 900m. But on the whole it seems like the big 3 for Kaido have the edge on the big 3 for Big Mom, and she has only brought two of them.

It would really come down to Kaido vs Big Mom though. I have no idea how that would go. Kaido is supposed to be indestructible and everything and is a dragon but for some reason I've just never gotten the sense he is as overwhelmingly strong as Big Mom. And it doesn't help that the recent surprise attack on Kaido worked, while it didn't work on Big Mom.

Kaido has been a bit of a disappointment to me so far actually

From everything I've seen so far Big Mom seems like she hasn't even gotten a scratch from an enemy

Not too sure about the other members of their crews.

Some turn of events will definitely destroy the alliance though. Kaido saying you can't trust pirates in an alliance was a massive foreshadow

Hinedorf

Banned
TTOOLL TTOOLL
Hinedorf Hinedorf
Yoboman Yoboman
Majukun Majukun

Honestly can't say yet, I'm still right at the end of Big Mom's run as I binge a lot of content at a time. When I next jump back in I will go from end of Big Mom to completely caught up.

Majukun

TTOOLL TTOOLL
Hinedorf Hinedorf
Yoboman Yoboman
Majukun Majukun

vs

impossible to say since we know a lot about the big mom pirates but don't have many info about the beast pirates yet.

the big mom pirates definitely look trickier to fight against, so i suppose the counterbalance would be to give the zoan users an advantage in raw power

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

OP=communism

Cutty Flam

Banned
What happened during the void century, my dear Fatty Clam?
Probably too much to speculate on. There are some interesting theories. And Yoboman Yoboman has found + posted one in this thread actually. Post # 300 if you want to check it out some. It gave me a few ideas. But I’ll add one of my own theories: I think there is one individual alive in One Piece that was actually alive them to tell of what happened during that time

timeflais

Banned
Communism is more closely related to the world government. The idea of communism being an underlying theme to anyone outwith this, is antithetical to what OP represents, at its core, not idealistically.

I will dance in this thread if right questions are asked, consider it a courtesy, you might get closer to understanding the real me. If no-one bites, then that is perfectly fine too. From this point on it would be better to consider message boards such as GAF as a battlefield, rather than just at face value (clue!). A battle that evil has already lost, no matter how hard they try to avoid defeat. Just like the Pharaoh's hardened heart as he chased after his slaves being set free by Moses.

8rXp6Ij.png

Wano looks awfully familiar Albeit a rudimentary representation.

Last edited:

timeflais

Banned
Communism is more closely related to the world government. The idea of communism being an underlying theme to anyone outwith this, is antithetical to what OP represents, at its core, not idealistically.

I will dance in this thread if right questions are asked, consider it a courtesy, you might get closer to understanding the real me. If no-one bites, then that is perfectly fine too. From this point on it would be better to consider message boards such as GAF as a battlefield, rather than just at face value (clue!). A battle that evil has already lost, no matter how hard they try to avoid defeat. Just like the Pharaoh's hardened heart as he chased after his slaves being set free by Moses.

8rXp6Ij.png

Episode 146 I highly recommend you re-watch. Pay attention, use your brain, you might miss something.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Was Navarone in the manga?
That's the one arc I wish I did not skip. One of two filler arcs I decided not to watch; the other happens much later. How was the quality overall? Usually, the adventure of the filler arcs is kinda entertaining but the villain / any side antagonist(s) involved in these filler arcs are lacking heavily I've noticed

8rXp6Ij.png

I agree, I don't think there is a single pirate that I can name that is in favor of any part of the idea. The Shichibukai couldn't care less about their govnt. ties, it's clear as day. Even the one questionable character that 'joined' their cause, something is very suspect about the way it happened. That is a very interesting bit to the story imo, and it involves one of the most mysterious characters next to said but maybe some sort of clues or answers will arise after Wano. One of the many interesting things about One Piece, is what can be discussed about the topic of motives. A very high number of characters are more complex than one would expect at first glance, the manga/anime always has me guessing and re-thinking things

As for Wano Country, I can't make the connection... The map is only reminding me of the shape of a kidney, turned 90° to the counterclockwise tbh . What do you see bro? Pls use spoiler tags if you think it might be substantial. I'd say like 85% the participants on NeoGAF (that read/watch OP) are either fairly new to One Piece or hover somewhere around the 550-600 episode mark, and then there are a handful of devout fans who are saving portions of Wano in bulk or maybe in its entirely. I think there might only be 5-7 posters on the site actually that are completely caught up? I know there aren't many

Last edited:

timeflais

Banned
I agree, I don't think there is a single pirate that I can name that is in favor of any part of the idea. The Shichibukai couldn't care less about their govnt. ties, it's clear as day. Even the one questionable character that 'joined' their cause, something is very suspect about the way it happened. That is a very interesting bit to the story imo, and it involves one of the most mysterious characters next to said but maybe some sort of clues or answers will arise after Wano. One of the many interesting things about One Piece, is what can be discussed about the topic of motives. A very high number of characters are more complex than one would expect at first glance, the manga/anime always has me guessing and re-thinking things

As for Wano Country, I can't make the connection... The map is only reminding me of the shape of a kidney, turned 90° to the counterclockwise tbh . What do you see bro? Pls use spoiler tags if you think it might be substantial. I'd say like 85% the participants on NeoGAF (that read/watch OP) are either fairly new to One Piece or hover somewhere around the 550-600 episode mark, and then there are a handful of devout fans who are saving portions of Wano in bulk or maybe in its entirely. I think there might only be 5-7 posters on the site actually that are completely caught up? I know there aren't many

I am happy to discuss aspects of the story, but it's knowledge is not a requirement in totality. Understanding is not so linear, would I be here if there wasn't something else? Everything is connected to everything. Also what kidney is segmented? At least...

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaains.

Will do.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Tesseract Tesseract GET ITT!!! Interested to hear what you make of timeflais timeflais comments, despite assuming you do not watch OP?
That's the one arc I wish I did not skip. One of two filler arcs I decided not to watch; the other happens much later. How was the quality overall? Usually, the adventure of the filler arcs is kinda entertaining but the villain / any side antagonist(s) involved in these filler arcs are lacking heavily I've noticed
I had fun with it. It could be shortened somewhat and is largely unimportant, but so can be said about a lot of things. No lack of time spent on the antagonists as this was a typical cat and mouse scenario.

Yoboman

8rXp6Ij.png

There is definitely no communist element in the story I can think of. The Governments are all made up of Kingdoms, ruled over by an elite wealth class and secret ruler. Which would make it a monarchistic oligarchy. There appears to be no democracy

Economically they seem to operate as something like a merchantile capitalist model with a unified currency

Pirates would be something like libertarians, with the significant emphasis on freedom.

The revolutionaries we dobt know much about but could be something like anarchists,as their only goal is stated to be the abolition of the current world government.

The Strawhats would be social libertarians, with both freedom and social justice being important to them

Tesseract

Banned
don't watch much anime, try to stay informed on meta analysis wherever possible

no comments on time's posts except to say i agree about battlefields in virtual spaces

(the most advanced fighter pilots these days are psychonauts)

Just wanted to share this dude's videos on his blind reaction/thoughts on the first half of the series. He recently finished Marineford and I must say his video's are really well done and very entertaining despite the length of some of them. He's got some great commentary and fair enough criticisms from time to time but overall found the series (up to Marineford) to be an absolute incredible manga reading experience.

It's so great to see others have those same thoughts and reactions I had going into this series for the first time. I used to absolutely hate this series (thanks 4kids!) and gave the JP version a shot and fell in love with it ever since. Looking forward to his commentary on the content after the timeskip which is coming up in a few weeks time.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
I wonder how many years it takes for delusion to become reality, 10? 51? 88?
depends how anchored you are to an idea, could be sudden and unexpected or gradual and tragic

it could never happen and you take to the grave with countless error codes in your personality

Last edited:
Top Bottom