• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All cool but WHAT about next, NEXT GEN?!

Vitter.

This is a game of futurism, inaccurate or not, let's just have some FUN!

2026:
Streaming will keep getting stronger and tech will be really good.
Some studios will make developing WITH THEM a thing, not different from now with early access but more around creative decisiones, crowdfunding and maybe having more to say about what game to develop according where you put your money(this will be integrated on the store fronts). Dev community will keep growing and changing as the tools to develop easier and faster at home become really accesible, still not the futuristic it will be around 2030++ with the help of AI and mind integration.
Influencers will be known to be top contributors and companies will start trying to get them to be like the next star devs, even though it will still be in a niche phase compared to streaming content.
VR and AR will be more of a part of the conversation than today, Apple and Samsung will be battling to be at the top of the big computing shift that is vereables vs classic screens.
People will still be fighting against complete digital catalogue, but what is published phisically is only for special editions of big triple A titles, and for smaller projects it get’s kickstarted for fans post launch as a standart.
Multiplayer experiences, for example tabletop rpg style games will become a new wave of games that generate content based on what is written and the directions of the master with voice commands. AI generated worlds of images and sounds.
Social media and streaming platforms more integrated, not only for sharing what is played but as a tool for tasks management.
Yearly games like sports go full on suscription, no more releases, just updates while you pay their services.
No more stores, you buy hardware from PS Store, Xbox Live and get’s shipped to you directly, Drones will be making most deliveries as and as robots prepare shipments it will be tighter and precise.

Playstation: PS6 is announced with a 2027 fall release date and has the same brand logo.
Will have a classic gaming feel to it(maybe the only remaining classic box), innovation will go around the tools for content creation from the games you play, combined streams, cooler and deeper settings for doing it straight from the box, it will keep evolving what started with the share button with every new gen(PS4/5).
Dreams will still be around and you will be able to publish games for sale on the PS Store front, developed with it, people will complain it’s too slow to get approval but will be happy with how revenue is split.
Focus on streaming, AR integration with third parties hardware and new version of PS VR that will be capable of using different controllers from other companies(inside out tracking it will be standart) but hand tracking and voice will be the main control of the tech so it will be more for accesories, guns, etc.
Playstation Now it will be rebranded to compete with gamepass and finds it's way to do it properly with games exclusive first on the service from first party studios, some Sony games will be availeable on other platforms but not these ones.
The Playstation controller get's AR integration and enhancements, compatible with your main device(cellphone replacement), have access to your complete library and can use the games everywhere streamed to your device of choice your id and data will be linked to your controller paired with your main device.

Xbox: You will be able to play all XBOX catalogue on any device were you can log your Xbox account on, streaming wise(not even a dongle is needed but an Xbox controller).
Still they will sell computer hybrids for the pro gamer market(probably some windows pc with xbox branding) that plays their games at the best possible way and integrates other devices, no limits for devs to use crossplay, crossdevice connections, everything is a go. This machine can download games for offline play, the only device that does that.
Gamepass is their main service by now wich is bigger and better, some Nintendo and Sony games are probably going to be on it.
Partnership with Oculus for some games.

Nintendo: Switch pro was a reality by 2026, making switch their biggest brand ever. Nintendo star trophies launched across all devices, old and new, you can go back and play old games again and get them (from first Switch on) they will try to make this a game of it's own, more detailed than ps and xb.
New Switch is teased with AR integrations with your wereable, now switching means playing on the world too(evolving the ideas from pokemon go and the likes) still it will have capabilities for classic games too.
More Nintendo games on other platforms except for Mario and Zelda main games.
Smash and Kart will become service type of deal, where like Fortnite you get events, skins, seasons constantly only accesed by their Nintendo device connected online.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
  • Streaming games makes up a significant facet of the market
  • Some games will look virtually indistinguishable from pre-rendered CGI
  • More focus on platform ecosystems and synced devices.
  • AAA VR has found a market, opening up new gaming niches, including a proliferation of VR exclusive gaming sims.
  • Indie AR gaming scene, smartphones with more advanced hardware and software.

Shin

Banned
Fake 8K and a tough sell, so perhaps refreshes instead of an actual new generation altogether.
We will be at a dead end graphically and that's a sector that makes most advancements along with CPU.
Don't know what else anything could bring at this point, perhaps why Microsoft went with Series X instead of a numerical scheme.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
2013: Consoles are basically PCs, with patches, installs, x86 architecture, off the shelf parts

2020: Consoles are literally PCs, with forward compatibility, backward compatibility, your mom compatibility

2027: Traditional consoles do not exist outside the toys nintendo releases every few years

2031: The singularity has arrived. Mankind has merged with Helios and formed one super conscience that computes mathematics at a quantum rate. Videogames provide true virtual reality with force feedback and simulated brain activity that stimulates the player's neurons.

2039: The AI defense spending bill is passed. Skynet becomes self aware. On August 23rd, 2039 at 11:14am Eastern Time, nuclear missiles are fired at Russia from bases in the United States. Skynet immediately decides that all organic life is redundant.

2047: The Butlerian Jihad reaches its apex. Thinking computers are forever forbidden by the nu-religious precepts as humans traverse the stars, pioneering the final frontier, and safeguarding the future of the species.

2051: Sony reveals the price and launch date of the Playstation 5.

2013: 500 GB
2020: 1000 GB
2027: 2000 GB

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Well, games are approaching the 200 GB mark THIS GEN. I can't imagine how big games will be next-gen if they don't come up with some amazing compression algorithms. 500 GB per game wouldn't be out of the question if the jump in fidelity is big enough. So that would be like 4 AAA games on a 2TB SSD. And that's just the beginning of the gen. That's probably why the PS5 is rumored to have expansion slots with high-speed cards.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Well, games are approaching the 200 GB mark THIS GEN. I can't imagine how big games will be next-gen if they don't come up with some amazing compression algorithms. 500 GB per game wouldn't be out of the question if the jump in fidelity is big enough. So that would be like 4 AAA games on a 2TB SSD. And that's just the beginning of the gen. That's probably why the PS5 is rumored to have expansion slots with high-speed cards.

Mark Cerny said next gen games are actually becoming smaller because of the SSD.

Vitter.

2039: Shigeru Miyamoto is induced in the digital downloaded great minds hall of fame, new Mario every year for eternity.

Meesh

Next, NEXT gen Switch will have a foldable flip top screen like DS.

No idea why. Wouldn't surprise me at this point lol. "Dual Switch"

Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.
Pippin: What about next gen?
Aragorn: You’ve already had it.
Pippin: We’ve had one, yes. What about second next gen?

Leonidas

If things go the way I want for next-next gen every game will be playable native on PC.

I feel duped every gen when I buy multiple consoles, multiple machines with basically the same capability, much lesser capability than my PC 1-2 years into the gen.

There are only a few holdouts left. 6-7 years from now I want my ultimate goal of 1 machine for all games to be realized. If my dream does not come true at least the majority of games appear on PC now and so I no longer feel obliged to buy a console for handful of exclusives.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I don't know. But what about next, next, gen? Or next, next, next gen? Have you ever thought about next, next, next, NEEEEXT GEN?!?!?!

Top Bottom