• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 | Review + Prediction Thread

What's the average score that Alan Wake 2 will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • 71 - 75

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 65 or Below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got this pre-ordered on the Epic Store (but really do wish it had been on Steam... I expect, like every PC gamers would like!) but am very much looking forward to it despite the scaremongering surrounding the system specs required to run the game. I loved the first Alan Wake game which I skipped on Xbox 360 due to the screen tearing and played on PC. I even bought the disappointing remaster.

I expect this game will score between 8 and 9 out of 10 personally.

Soltype

I don't get the epic hate. Getting multiple physical consoles for exclusives is praised but having few extra bits on computer shit.
The launcher is missing a lot of features compared to steam, plus what's the benefit they can tout from it being on one launcher.Console games can claim hardware differences as a feature to why a certain game is locked on a particular platform. Steam does this too with games,but they can point to a plethora of features as excuse, EGS can't do the same.

75 to 80 range

I really like Remedy in theory, always have, but the only game to actually nail a good gimmick vs. gameplay & level design ratio has been Control for me.

What I've seen of the combat looks surprisingly dull and unevolved from the original's terrible (lack of) encounter design. It looks like you mainly walk forward on narrow paths to experience Remedy gimmicks like crazy visual effects and live action (jesus, why?) cutscenes.

Problem is, a lot of big outlets' reviewers favor window dressing and spectacle over clever mechanics, level design and so on so it'll score decently based on that even if that is the case.

Personally though, I fucking HOPE I eat crow and this turns out to be way more gameplay-wise than what has been shown. I love Horror, I love Twin Peaks and David Lynch... I want this to be 95 but I'm not seeing it right now. Currently looks more like Remedy going bonkers with style over substance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is PSN doing preloads?
I don't remember when if ever I've bought new digital game on psn....
I think I am going with ps5 for this. My 3080 is very powerful but I dont want epic and 10gb of vram is surely not enough

Luipadre

I posted this in the other thread but I'll copy it here since it's the prediction thread. I have a friend who works as a reviewer here in Brazil and he got an early copy of Alan Wake 2 for PS5. Here is what he told me about it so far (no spoilers):
  • Graphics are insanely good albeit the resolution definitely takes a hit
  • Framerate is unstable on both modes (Fidelity and Performance). Dips to mid 40s on Performance and a few minor drops on Fidelity. Recommends playing on Fidelity for now. He isn't sure if there will be a day 1 patch.
  • He said Digital Foundry's review should be interesting (graphics are definitely next-gen and should push cards to a new benchmark)
  • Horror is turned up to 11. Really great atmosphere, really intense sections. Saga's story is the spookiest of the two. Not for the faint of heart.
  • Bullets are scarce and gameplay is much more survival horror oriented compared to the first game.
  • Minor tiny spoiler:
Lots of references to Control, definitely connected to the universe
  • BONUS: He said there is a section that happens midway through the story that isn't like anything he has ever seen before. Definitely ranks Top 10 best gaming moments he has ever experienced. (I bet it is something related to music like Alan Wake 1 and Control had)
I'm gonna go crazy here and bet 91-95 based on everything I've heard so far.
A new update just came out like 10 hours ago. game is now 1.03

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really liked Control, I think it is great, but think the praise for Alan Wake 1 is strange. The atmosphere and story are well-done but in terms of gameplay it's not good at all. Of course it's a really old game at this point, but even Control is "only" 82 MC. I'm expecting this to be lower than that.

Luipadre

Is PSN doing preloads?
I don't remember when if ever I've bought new digital game on psn....
I think I am going with ps5 for this. My 3080 is very powerful but I dont want epic and 10gb of vram is surely not enough

Yes its live, just bought it and downloaded it. 80gb ver 1.03

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
im looking forward to it but had to laugh at it. pc players again get the worst

gkt8f3mpb6wb1.png
I would be in that center, but it's missing the "buys game at launch" segment which I don't fall in to.

I really liked Control, I think it is great, but think the praise for Alan Wake 1 is strange. The atmosphere and story are well-done but in terms of gameplay it's not good at all. Of course it's a really old game at this point, but even Control is "only" 82 MC. I'm expecting this to be lower than that.

Eh, Alan Wake is a 13 year old game at this point. When it came out, it's gameplay loop was average to above average. Today it's aged poorly, yes, but compared to it's contemporaries it was fine. What really set Alan Wake apart was it's approach to storytelling and it's unique tone.

That and Alan Wake 2 is nothing like the first game from a gameplay perspective. They've advertised it as being much closer to something like Resident Evil meets Control from a gameplay standpoint.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Eh, Alan Wake is a 13 year old game at this point. When it came out, it's gameplay loop was average to above average. Today it's aged poorly, yes, but compared to it's contemporaries it was fine. What really set Alan Wake apart was it's approach to storytelling and it's unique tone.

That and Alan Wake 2 is nothing like the first game from a gameplay perspective. They've advertised it as being much closer to something like Resident Evil meets Control from a gameplay standpoint.
I would put AW below "average" in gameplay, but that's fair. Like I said, Control has a 82 MC, and I don't expect AW2 to hit that, which is why I voted for 75-80.

amigastar

That makes me really happy, didn't really like how AW1 played, idk how to put it but it was more arcadey. Alan Wake 2 seems like survival horror which is more classic to me. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I voted 86-90, but then realized Alan Wake and Control were low 80s, despite my 90+ feelings towards them. Oh well. Sticking with it.

NickFire

The late (in my opinion) review embargo date makes me believe we should expect something in the 70s. Graphics are nice and its a sequel, so I'm guessing high 70's.

GymWolf

Black female lead

...But shes a cop

I predict many articles discussing how much this stressed out and caused PTSD to the reviewers.
You can fucking bet that polygon and some other trash site is gonna write an article about that.

"Dichotomy of being a black police officer in a game named after a white man" or some shit.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You can fucking bet that polygon and some other trash site is gonna write an article about that.

"Dichotomy of being a black police officer in a game named after a white man" or some shit.

Oh it'll happen. Might not happen day one (though there might be a little nugget here or there) but give it a week or so. It's too problematic to not pass up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ungalo

the game will need good scores to make some noise, i hope the devs are fully aware of that and don't plan to release a technical mess

Last edited:

Hugare

I really want it to get +90 MC, but heres just no way its getting that

Will buy it on release regardless.

First Alan Wake is one of my GOATs.

Hugare

If enjoy the game why does it matter what score it gets? Also 90+ is no guarantee you gonna enjoy it or its gonna be polished game (as we saw with Spider Man 2).
Because devs receive bonuses based on MC scores

Not only that, but for them, getting +90 MC is a huge deal in terms of recognition for your work

Remedy deserves it

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Not only that, but for them, getting +90 MC is a huge deal in terms of recognition for your work

Remedy deserves it
I didn't know this, so if a game gets 88 or 86 they dont get bonus pay, that is dumb as fuck.....there are fantastic games out there dont get 90+ because they are not "mainstream" enough.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Not quite sure why, but I'm predicting mid 70's with this. I'm sure/hope I'll be proven wrong and it'll be in the 80's.

Eiknarf

Remedy deserves it
Yup.
And jobs are kept and taken away for teams responsible for a Metacritic average of 85 or above and 85 and below.

Metacritic matters.

Dont believe me? Go to ANY school for gaming design and development. They'll tell you.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
preloaded on ps5... unlock at 6AM ON A FRIDAY ?!??! Why not midnight
What the hell man. 30 hours

That's more to do with how awful that remaster is, this looks genuinely good but anything over 80mc is good anyway.
I just finished that remaster on ps5. It's a fine "slight" remaster. Most new textures and some added polygons here and there. It looks like how you remember it aside from some weird faces.
Controls are fine, 60fps good graphics.

No HDR and the game aged like milk... I barely was able to finish it and I love alan wake. it just plays like flu

Top Bottom