• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After seeing the GTA6 trailer, do you think this generation needs mid-gen refreshes?

Does this generation need a mid gen refresh?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Fbh

I never said all games ran great before the pro system nonsense. Just that now you get a gimped version of these games if you don't buy an expensive mid-gen upgrade while before you got the intended experience.

And my point is that you aren't getting a gimped version. You are getting the same version you were always going to get on a base Ps5, except there's now going to be an optional Ps5 pro version that will likely look/run better.
Do you also consider you are getting a gimped version of any multiplatform game that has a PC version that supports higher graphics/resolution/frame rate than the console version?

Devs have no incentive to only make the pro version good and release a shitty game on the base console. They don't get paid more for the pro version and they will want the vast majority of their audience, which will be on base consoles, to have a good experience with the game (and hopefully stick around playing GTA Online). Not to mention that from a development perspective it's way easier to design the game for the base systems and then use the extra power of the pro console to enhance it, rather than the other way around.

Last edited:

TheFawz

Yes because there's no way we'll get anything that looks anywhere close to that at a stable 60 FPS

Knowing Rockstart they probably won't even offer a 40FPS locked mode for those with 120hz or a unstable but 60 FPS locked mode for VRR displays

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

As if it would make any difference......You guys wont still be happy with PS5 pro then asking releasing PS6 as soon as possible and even then you guys wont be happy and asking for PS6 pro....and keeps going.

Just get a fucking PC already.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I never said all games ran great before the pro system nonsense. Just that now you get a gimped version of these games if you don't buy an expensive mid-gen upgrade while before you got the intended experience.
Just like you got the intended experience on PS360 with choppy sub-30 frame rates and 720p? I'm glad we have multiple tiers of experiences available.

Last edited:
No console generation needs a mid gen refresh. If you are OCD with graphics build a PC and upgrade it.

Imagine how many people tho would be happy to buy a console refresh every 2-3 years. There's no rule that says consoles HAVE to only exist once every 6-7 years. Lots of people would be happy to trade in their old console for a refresh, just like you know, how PC players upgrade their GPU's.

I don't see why this concept bothers some people. Don't feel like you need better hardware to keep up with the latest demands of graphics, just don't buy the latest console 'update'. Your games quality won't suffer as proven by last gens refresh.

Yeah, this as well.

GTA VI actually proves a Pro-console isn't needed, if we can expect that quality for a game like GTA in 2025.

It doesn't prove Jack shit. We a) don't even know what they were using to show the trailer and b) we don't know if they're going to have to downgrade the game to get those visuals- we don't even know what gameplay looks like or what framerate issues it may have.

Remember gta5 on xbox 360? OK then compare how gta 5 ran on 360 vs how it ran on say, Xbox One. Much better of course.

BossLackey

Gold Member
The mid-gen refresh is already slowly happening. Its called making actual ps5-targetted games instead of ps4 lol.

Exactly this. This cross-generation stuff has to stop.

3rd party devs are simply not utilizing the PS5's full potential still.

Killjoy-NL

It doesn't prove Jack shit. We a) don't even know what they were using to show the trailer and b) we don't know if they're going to have to downgrade the game to get those visuals- we don't even know what gameplay looks like or what framerate issues it may have.

Remember gta5 on xbox 360? OK then compare how gta 5 ran on 360 vs how it ran on say, Xbox One. Much better of course.
The trailer is going to be what we'll get on base PS5.
It's the same pessimistic nonsense as pre-launch when people were claiming Demon's Souls Remake and Ratchet & Clank were CGI, because hardware-specs/visual quality.

You can quote me on that in 2025.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well do you think GTA6 graphics was bad = need for better hardware
I'm confused why you would see that trailer and think "we need better hardware"

This gen has needed a mid gen refresh from the moment the 60fps modes in several games started to run below 1080p.... and sometimes as low as 720p.

It's not a proper Neogaf thread about a hyped new game unless people see an "in engine" trailer and assume that's literally how the gameplay will look.
Happened with Horizon, Cyberpunk, Avatar, etc and it will happen with this now

Would you kindly head over to the "graphical fidelity" thread so we can get some much needed sanity over there? There are people who constantly hold up cut scenes side by side with gameplay. Also, so many people both in this thread and that one that suffer from a form of "the secret sauce is still waiting to be tapped into when 'next gen' really arrives"

We need that FidelityFX guy back as he was right all along. We have known more or less what the consoles are and are not capable of by now. Even a cross gen game that isn't pushing the latest tech will give us a sense for what we're dealing with. We have hundreds of games. Hundreds of examples that even a cross gen games that struggle with pushing high fidelity/resolutions at 60 fps!

"Well we havnt seen what Naughty Dogs, Guerillas, or Santa Monica's "TRUE next gen games look like" ...SO? They will look better, sure, but at what cost? Last of Us Remake is next gen only EVEN if it uses last gen techniques and guess what? It can barely even maintain 40 fps in its fidelity mode and is only 1440p at 60 fps. We KNOW the limits of these consoles as far as performance.

You’ll get 60fps on console with GTA VI definitive edition (PS6). I’m not joking. The good news is that’ll hopefully only be 2027, 2 years after launch.

Based on how Rockstar has treated next gen console owners with RDR2, we won't get to play GTA6 at 60 fps for a very long time.

Frankly I think it's total and complete BULLSHIT that this developer refuses a simple 60 fps update for the sake of better playability on current hardware, just to starve players for an inevitable remaster many years later.

His whole point was that you do NOT get a gimped version. If what's making you feel it's gimped is simply a matter of perception then you need to do some introspection because that's a shallow and immature way of looking at the situation.

bender

What time is it?
To further fragment the users base? No thanks. It's not like we'll get a version of GTAVI for the PS6 and PS7.

Yes, more than ever. It started with The Matrix Awakens demo.

Can't wait for the PS5 Pro, and hope Xbox follows with a Series XX or whatever assbackwards naming scheme they'll conjure.

Not wanting one is okay and perfectly fine, but anyone who says "a PS5 Pro shouldn't exist, if you want perf get a PC" for everyone else, is obviously salty about their precious base PS5/Series X (let alone Series S Lmaooooo) getting anally probed by the PS5 Pro's performance. Then, there are customers like me who have a good PC (actually an outdated PC which I'm going to upgrade next year, but I digress), and still want the best console money can buy.

Like, hey dipshits, you ever thought of customers who are heavily invested into the PS or Xbox ecosystem with digital and physical purchases, relies on back compatibility a lot? Yes, they exist, in large numbers and no, they are not going to move to PC. The PS5 Pro is happening whether you like it or you don't. Stay triggered. 🥳🥳🥳

Last edited:

Crayon

idk about your sub-30 assesment. That said, 60fps in the quality modes is a good sell for a console upgrade. $500 is about the price of a sensible gpu upgrade for me and even then you are not pulling an entire new rig out of that box.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, because I want to play that at 60fps (without having to sacrifice all the pixels and a ton of other visual features).

Codes 208

Yes.
We need more innovative games like TOTK, not pretty graphics with boring gameplay.
The switch actually proves we need mid-gen refreshes.

Innovation or not, a game is still being limited when made for a potato (and frankly i wouldve HAPPILY preferred an actual refresh over the basic oled we got. TotK was a great game, but a full 1080p/60fps is better than the 900p/30fps we got)

Granted, The xbox one also desperately needed a midgen refresh. not just for better framerates and resolutions but also for the QoL improvements for developers considering the ram change when they made the 1X.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Well do you think GTA6 graphics was bad = need for better hardware
I'm confused why you would see that trailer and think "we need better hardware"
Because at that fidelity, and that detail, you would need some Hogwarts level BioWare magic to conjure up 60fps with all that stuff going on, 30fps on PS5 and XSX would defintely be the only viable option. That's if that's all in-engine...and not bullshotty.

PS5 Pro would be day one from me.

Yes, more than ever. It started with The Matrix Awakens demo.

Can't wait for the PS5 Pro, and hope Xbox follows with a Series XX or whatever assbackwards naming scheme they'll conjure.

Not wanting one is okay and perfectly fine, but anyone who says "a PS5 Pro shouldn't exist, if you want perf get a PC" for everyone else, is obviously salty about their precious base PS5/Series X (let alone Series S Lmaooooo) getting anally probed by the PS5 Pro's performance. Then, there are customers like me who have a good PC (actually an outdated PC which I'm going to upgrade next year, but I digress), and still want the best console money can buy.

Like, hey dipshits, you ever thought of customers who are heavily invested into the PS or Xbox ecosystem with digital and physical purchases, relies on back compatibility a lot? Yes, they exist, in large numbers and no, they are not going to move to PC. The PS5 Pro is happening whether you like it or you don't. Stay triggered. 🥳🥳🥳

If Microsoft doesn't have plans in motion for a mid gen refresh yet, it's too late now.

These upgraded units take a lot of time to put together and then to manufacture, and ensure 1st and 3rd party support for at least key titles.

It would be a rush job to even get this out for holiday season 2025 and 2026 is way too close to next generation.

So you either half ass the thing and put it out before it is ready and barely any games support it and the enhancements are few and far between and you have a failure on your hands that drags the brand down or you release it way too late in the generation that no one actually cares and those who do buy it feel hard done that a new console releases a year or even two later.

Not to mention the first-party titles are still going to be hamstrung by the Xbox Series S and your internal development now spans 3 different skus ON TOP of having to produce for PC Day 1...

What will also be interesting is whether or not CoD will support the PS5 Pro and what Sony says to regulators if it doesn't.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I would definitely do so. I’d like to get more games at 60fps with better visuals comfy couch gaming.

I would desperately want the XSS to be dropped entirely if they do. Allowing devs to not be chained to this turd.

Starcheif

PS6 and the Next Xbox could be only months away after this game hits the market. If that is true I will just wait until the next generation of consoles hit the market.

PS6 and the Next Xbox could be only months away after this game hits the market. If that is true I will just wait until the next generation of consoles hit the market.

Zero chance PS6 or NextBox will come out in 2025, and there is no chance PS6 will come out in 2026. Slim to no chance that NextBox does.

Metnut

giphy.gif

As if it would make any difference......You guys wont still be happy with PS5 pro then asking releasing PS6 as soon as possible and even then you guys wont be happy and asking for PS6 pro....and keeps going.

Just get a fucking PC already.

PC doesn’t make sense for me. I want to play GTA6.

Ozzie666

I used to think yes, but now I am not sure. Refresh diminishes the imapct of the next generation. But mainly, won't Sony end up with the exact same issue Microsoft has with the Series S? one of the products is going to suffer, or developers will have to create 2 sku's or versions to take advantage of the pro. You may end up with Cyberpunk like PS5 titles that barely run. Still seems like a slippery slope and defeats the purpose of a console.

But I'd buy it of course.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Why would you need to buy an upgraded console to run this game? It's only formats are current gen consoles so, in theory, they've built the game to run on them. The games target IS current gen. They'd be no excuse if the game ran badly
Because 60fps?

There's no way in San Fiero that game runs a steady 60fps on current PS5 hardware (about a mid to mid-low point gaming PC right now - isn't it like a 2080Ti or so of power?)....If PS5 pro come out with say, a 4070Ti equivalent card, slight bump in CPU also and SSD speed, should be able to roll performance mode 60fps with what we've seen there...going off what little have haha.

M0G

Who says that trailer isn't indicative of what an anticipated mid-gen refresh would equate to. Just don't be surprised when 2026 comes around and you need that newly launched console to make that trailer playable.

Hugare

More options is always good, so yeah

It's not like they would abandon current consoles due to mid gen refresh, so who cares?

And my point is that you aren't getting a gimped version. You are getting the same version you were always going to get on a base Ps5, except there's now going to be an optional Ps5 pro version that will likely look/run better.
Do you also consider you are getting a gimped version of any multiplatform game that has a PC version that supports higher graphics/resolution/frame rate than the console version?

Devs have no incentive to only make the pro version good and release a shitty game on the base console. They don't get paid more for the pro version and they will want the vast majority of their audience, which will be on base consoles, to have a good experience with the game (and hopefully stick around playing GTA Online). Not to mention that from a development perspective it's way easier to design the game for the base systems and then use the extra power of the pro console to enhance it, rather than the other way around.
They're going to be more focused on the console that all the reviewers and streamers are using which will be the pro versions. The pro version is the definitive edition and concessions are made for the base versions. I don't see how it's any different than cross gen games that are worse on the old hardware than they would if the old hardware was the only option.

His whole point was that you do NOT get a gimped version. If what's making you feel it's gimped is simply a matter of perception then you need to do some introspection because that's a shallow and immature way of looking at the situation.
I feel it's gimped because it is gimped. Save the psych 101 babble for your professor, please.

Last edited:
I used to think yes, but now I am not sure. Refresh diminishes the imapct of the next generation. But mainly, won't Sony end up with the exact same issue Microsoft has with the Series S? one of the products is going to suffer, or developers will have to create 2 sku's or versions to take advantage of the pro. You may end up with Cyberpunk like PS5 titles that barely run. Still seems like a slippery slope and defeats the purpose of a console.

But I'd buy it of course.

I'm glad you wrote this.

Let's think about that logically.

It's not just having two SKUs that is a problem for developers, it's having a SKU that is so much lower than the base unit. The PS5 in this case would be the lowest common denominator whereas the XSS is the lowest common denominator.

PS5 Pro just creates more breathing room, games aren't designed around it.

Cyberpunk wasn't designed around PS5 or XSX, it was designed around PC. The choice to ship it on the PS4 and X1 was CDPR's and you could say that about any game that shouldn't run on a previous generation.

I do think it diminishes the next generation, but we're already getting into the diminishing returns category on graphics. I'll hope that the next-gen consoles do something more than just better graphics. We're taking it for granted but this generation has significantly diminished load times, which is great.

schaft0620

I'll tell you one thing, if Xbox holds their ground and doesn't do a Pro console, it's going to be painful to their core audience when GTA6 comes out and the Series S/X version is compared to the PS5/PS5 Pro.

Their hard-core fans are rabbid for these talking points. A lot of the debate in games is subjective because it's all art but, I'm already feeling the second hand embarrassment from their Tweets.

Top Bottom