• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After seeing the GTA6 trailer, do you think this generation needs mid-gen refreshes?

Does this generation need a mid gen refresh?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
How deluded are you? The games will look better but the FPS will get worse. PS5 is not some magic box. It's a mid to shit tier PC.

I'm just annoyed I'll likely have to wait 12 months for the PC release. I have a PS5 but would really resent if the pro is out and I end up buying one purely for GTA. I've barely touched the PS5 as it is.
It' not delusional when you look at previous generations. When most games so far are rooted in last gen technology, and the ones that aren't have had nether the time or the resources to take advantage of it.

This will become apparent as we progress through this generation, second gen games from the likes of Guerilla, Playground and of course the first real next-gen game from Naughty Dog.

Myths

Well… I wouldn’t mind snagging a console since I don’t have one. If I did, it would most likely be at a time where there would be a refresh.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy.gif

Metnut

RDR2 ran just fine in base PS4. GTA6 will run fine on PS5. It’s being developed for the PS5 primarily since most people will be playing it on that platform. They’ll obviously make sure it’s a good experience.

Reactions: Dis

MikeM

I would gladly take a new console every three years. It would be enough to keep me away from PC.

Fbh

This gen has needed a mid gen refresh from the moment the 60fps modes in several games started to run below 1080p.... and sometimes as low as 720p.

All we saw was a bunch of prerendered cutscenes/cinematic crap so.. it’s premature to say the least?

It's not a proper Neogaf thread about a hyped new game unless people see an "in engine" trailer and assume that's literally how the gameplay will look.
Happened with Horizon, Cyberpunk, Avatar, etc and it will happen with this now

Audiophile

Gold Member
Yup, I wanna see fundamental game design and simulation pushed to the limit on base consoles for major titles, with 30fps & 40fps being more standard there to allow it.

Then PS5 Pro offering upgraded visuals @ 30fps/40fps or similar visuals @ 60fps (with up to 120fps/vrr frame gen).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think new consoles use to mean a restart the goal was to get 10 years out of a console

Verchod

Why would you need to buy an upgraded console to run this game? It's only formats are current gen consoles so, in theory, they've built the game to run on them. The games target IS current gen. They'd be no excuse if the game ran badly

Lupin25

No, but I’ll get one for the 4K/60 fps.

This game will look & play amazing on the Ps5 or XSX, it’s just the XSS I’m unsure about.

Last edited:
After seeing that trailer that is almost certainly going to run sub 30 fps on PS5 and XSX

WTF are some of ya'll smoking when you make claims like these?

The GTA VI trailer looked nice, but it was very clearly leaning on a LOT of the same technology they used in RDR2 which was a game designed for last gen consoles.

What specific visual feature did you see that makes you think consoles some 8-9x faster cannot produce these visuals? I'm honestly baffled.

It wouldn't surprise me if the game ran at 60fps, 1440p on PS5 and XSX.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Anyone that votes "No" should be removed from GAF immediately

edit: clearly a joke, if the option is there to give me a better frame-rate/resolution then I am 100% in to play this game at the highest performance possible (before it comes to PC obviously)

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
WTF are some of ya'll smoking when you make claims like these?

The GTA VI trailer looked nice, but it was very clearly leaning on a LOT of the same technology they used in RDR2 which was a game designed for last gen consoles.

What specific visual feature did you see that makes you think consoles some 8-9x faster cannot produce these visuals? I'm honestly baffled.

It wouldn't surprise me if the game ran at 60fps, 1440p on PS5 and XSX.
I will be seriously impressed if this runs at a stable 60fps on a PS5. I love your optimism.

If they are that confident, then I hope to god they patch RDR2, my £70 is ready and waiting.

Mid gen refreshes are lame since one of the main selling points of consoles was not needing to upgrade until the new gen. It should be on the developers to design games that run well on launch hardware, not on the consumers to fork out another $500+ so it runs smoothly.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
A gen is a gen, devs should learn to code and use the hardware as before, consoles are not PCs and should not require an entire new hardware just to keep up the framerate.

SHA

I'm not optimistic on other studios following the same path that they used to be and release their games in line with the current gen hardware nicely without caveat, even famous devs like mark cerny admits nothings changed , he said that in the ps5 demo presentation, it's not a secret that games aren't really better, therefore, we should skip midgen refreshes cause it's unnecessary.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Why do you think the game launches 2025?

It's to give time for Sony and Microsoft to put out their pro versions on the market.

Right On Yes GIF by Offline Granny!

Last edited:

Fbh

Mid gen refreshes are lame since one of the main selling points of consoles was not needing to upgrade until the new gen. It should be on the developers to design games that run well on launch hardware, not on the consumers to fork out another $500+ so it runs smoothly.

But that was hardly ever the case. Specially with games that pushed impressive tech or scale.
Shadow of The Colossus ran at like 15 fps during fights
San Andreas ran in the mid to low 20's almost permanently on ps2
GTAV runs in the mid 20's for long stretches on the Ps3/360 (specially on the Ps3)
Even linear first party games like TLOU had plenty of framerate drops on ps3.
Not having pro consoles never guaranteed that games would run well, the only difference is that when a game ran poorly there was no alternative.

Meanwhile RDR2 came out when we did have Ps4 pro but it still ran and looked pretty good on the base Ps4. In fact aside from remasters it was probably the best running open world Rockstar game on any playstation, even on the base system. All the late Ps4 games also pretty well on the base Ps4: Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Gow Ragnarok, AC Valhalla, etc. Having a pro console didn't make these games worse on base systems, it just gave you an option if you wanted some extra performance/resolution.

Last edited:

damidu

hell yeah! bring it on!
people can cry "current gen hasnt started" all the way to 2030 (while playing games at 480p fsr-pixel soup, mind you)

Last edited:
i found the trailer unimpressive. too iterative from rdr2.

but a pro wont help that.
maybe if the game was built exclusively for the pro.

checkcola

I haven't played GTA games in along time, so its trailer has no impact on me either way. But on the subject of a refresh, in this economy, I think its a bad idea.

But that was hardly ever the case. Specially with games that pushed impressive tech or scale.
Shadow of The Colossus ran at like 15 fps during fights
San Andreas ran in the mid to low 20's almost permanently on ps2
GTAV runs in the mid 20's for long stretches on the Ps3/360 (specially on the Ps3)
Even linear first party games like TLOU had plenty of framerate drops on ps3.
Not having pro consoles never guaranteed that games would run well, the only difference is that when a game ran poorly there was no alternative.

Meanwhile RDR2 came out when we did have Ps4 pro but it still ran and looked pretty good on the base Ps4. In fact aside from remasters it was probably the best running open world Rockstar game on any playstation, even on the base system. All the late Ps4 games also pretty well on the base Ps4: Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Gow Ragnarok, AC Valhalla, etc. Having a pro console didn't make these games worse on base systems, it just gave you an option if you wanted some extra performance/resolution.
I never said all games ran great before the pro system nonsense. Just that now you get a gimped version of these games if you don't buy an expensive mid-gen upgrade while before you got the intended experience.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You’ll get 60fps on console with GTA VI definitive edition (PS6). I’m not joking. The good news is that’ll hopefully only be 2027, 2 years after launch.

Caio

Yes, and I'm buying a PS5 PRO for TLOU Part I Remake, Part II Remaster, probably Part III, GTAVI, Wolverine, and all the most demanding Exclusive and multiplatform games.

Top Bottom