• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After seeing the GTA6 trailer, do you think this generation needs mid-gen refreshes?

Does this generation need a mid gen refresh?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

twilo99

After seeing that trailer that is almost certainly going to run sub 30 fps on PS5 and XSX let alone XSS, do you think we need a midgen refresh? Did the trailer change your mind or affirm your thoughts in one way or another?

Do you think it will run at 10fps on the xss then?

KaiserBecks

There have been only a few current gen showcases (and none of them were open world iirc) so I don’t think we really know what ps5 and xsx are really capable of. I would welcome a refresh but I don’t think it’s really necessary yet.

Aenima

Grand Theft Auto VI is coming to PlayStation® 5 computer entertainment systems and Xbox Series X|S games and entertainment systems in 2025.

And wait til god knows when to play this masterpiece?
Probably 1 year. Its usually the time Rockstar takes to port the games to PC

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm just hoping my PS5 can survive until Pro comes out. However, after spreading the liquid metal around with a Q-tip I haven't gotten a single overheating message.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Devs just need to spend their time optimizing one mode per console. Have a vision and stick to it. Let the PC Elite have to deal with making choices.

Zuzu

We're gonna need a mid-gen refresh to have a hope of running the game at 60fps without it looking like trash. So yes, we need them.

Robb

Gold Member
No, I didn’t find it very impressive tbh. Shouldn’t be a problem at all for current consoles, although I’m no hardware expert.

I’ll be happy to buy a refresh though.

Roxkis_ii

I don't know how can gaguge the games proformance just off the trailer. If it has to take the Series S into consideration, then it's likely to run decent on the current gen consoles.

Shane89

it will run 4k 60 in performance mode and 1080p 60 in details mode. also, there will be a 120hz mode. mark that post

Mowcno

It doesn't "need" one but more options are always good and a PS5 Pro will probably be the only way to play a lot of games at 60fps on console.

I don't want to be gaming on PS5 level specs till November 2028 so if there isn't one I'll likely go back to PC just as I did in the PS3 generation. PS4 Pro satisfied my need for better performance.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't know.
When they show gameplay instead of scripted in-game/in-engine cutscenes I might be able to answer...

Kerotan

How is it certainly going to run sub 30fps? They'll lower the resolution until it's a smooth 30fps.

And yes of course we need a ps5 pro. Even without GTA we needed it.

willothedog

If they want to sell as many copies as possible thus funneling people to the online money-maker they have to target what hardware is currently popular.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is a bit of a dumb question, given that the game is going to have to run on a Series S.

The game really isn’t going to need a more powerful machine to play it on.

Last edited:
There have been only a few current gen showcases (and none of them were open world iirc) so I don’t think we really know what ps5 and xsx are really capable of. I would welcome a refresh but I don’t think it’s really necessary yet.
Exactly, not even half way through this gen, people need to realise that all we've seen so far are cross gen games with some next-gen bells and whistles.

Exactly, not even half way through this gen, people need to realise that all we've seen so far are cross gen games with some next-gen bells and whistles.

How deluded are you? The games will look better but the FPS will get worse. PS5 is not some magic box. It's a mid to shit tier PC.

I'm just annoyed I'll likely have to wait 12 months for the PC release. I have a PS5 but would really resent if the pro is out and I end up buying one purely for GTA. I've barely touched the PS5 as it is.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Depends on whether you think what you saw in the trailer was real or whether it is made of bullshot and pixie dust.

Del_X

The only console that gets any of my time in the past year has been the Switch. I'm a sucker for GTA and will buy a PS5 Pro for it (assuming it comes out before GTAVI and they actually intend to have a 60fps mode for it).

I would not be surprised if this game is forcing MSFT to capitulate into a ham-fisted XSXL or some shit just to also have a high-end version since they can't point to PC.

And why you think Rockstar released GTA 5 for PS3 and Xbox 360 despite how they were outdated by 2012/2013?

That something R* explained in 2012:

If wasn't for 4K TVs, then the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X wouldn't had existed.
That the only reason why PS4 Pro and Xbox One X came out, to push 4K even when PC gamers were just playing games at 1080p in 2017.

Dane

I don't think so, the reason why it happened with the last one for all I can remember was the criticism over the CPU being ultra outdated (and then in current one we barely use it).

Erebus

Is the question rhetorical?
All rumors point that Sony will release a Pro console next year, which is earlier than the release of GTA VI.

Top Bottom