• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 25 years I am finally gaming on PC, And its glorious.

Weevilone

Wait you just happened to have that in your basement for a year?
That can't be right

I've had a new, sealed 4790K in my desk drawer since it released. It was supposed to go into the HTPC that has a slow Pentium in there.. but that I've used like 5 times ever so heck with it.

Shit happens?

LordKasual

Banned
I'd say the placebo effect of the hardware itself on top of what it does for gaming has you on a high that it's pretty thorough and consistent as long as you keep investing in PC games.

I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am an advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusives. something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but at somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am in advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusive. Something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but as somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never stand against or not recommend somebody to get into PC gaming because it really is a fantastic investment.

the often neglected part because we are gaming forum, is the fact that you're going to build a monster PC and it's going to be able to destroy and Tackle not just gaming but multimedia and other things which will enrich your life so it's pretty awesome to have all that power at your disposal to do pretty much anything you want concurrently. So the whole presentation aspect the graphics on top of the multitasking abilities and pretty much unhinged gaming, multimedia, and anything in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

in general is possible on your shiny new gaming PC.

I'm already amazed by what you can do on smart phones and you imagine the power on a monster rig and what it could do for you and you just grow a custom to that level of performance and refused to have anything less.

EDIT - I just realized that the voice recognition on my phone did something there that it wasn't supposed to. But let the record note that I'm having coffee in the morning and I must go to work so I will own up to whatever Google decided to do with it cryptic voice recognition.

P.S.

FML

jesus christ this is funny for so many reasons

im not condensing the post because the advanced Chinese worm on this phone so obviously did this on purpose

DonF

who the hell has a $2000 pc just laying in their basement?
Yes, it's good. The prices are awesome, that what I like the most about pc, I feel like the ps store is doing some good deals as of late. It hurts to buy nintendo games 8(

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I have never used gsync or seen it in person.

I think my monitor is 60 Hz so 60fps is my max

I play all games at ultra and value image quality. Knowing this, does gsync make sense for me ? Even if I own a monitor that has gsync won't playing at ultra hold me back ? I mean how much higher than 60 can I get ?
Uhhh YESSS! Gsync makes sense for any PC gamer. And soon the majority of gamers with Game Mode VRR in the upcoming HDMI 2.1 standard. I'm beyond hyped for HDMI 2.1 65"+ OLEDs/HDTVs! Beyond. Hyped.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have all of the consoles and a gaming rig so it's not an either/or decision for me but I have my pc hooked up to a 1440p monitor and a 55" OLED tv. If I so choose I can change my input and send the signal to the tv, and game like I was on a console. I have found that I seldom do, but depending on the game, it is a nice option.

The possibilities with pc gaming, and the freedom, are awesome. PC gaming can be just as comfortable on a couch as console gaming.

I snagged a Steam Link for $15 a few months ago. Turned out to be an amazing deal. Great way to play my PC games in the living room without having my PC there. Works great with a wireless controller too.

I never want this to end

I snagged a Steam Link for $15 a few months ago. Turned out to be an amazing deal. Great way to play my PC games in the living room without having my PC there. Works great with a wireless controller too.

That $15 Steamlink deal was the best gaming purchase I made this year. As far as deals go.

HF2014

PC gaming is great for steam sale prices, rts, and if your a fan of fps, once you know how to wasd with a mouse, you feel invincible.

But it also came with his random game crash, unknowned framerate drop, strange resolution problems, unknowned problems with controls, need to tweak things up,and unless your playing Dota, Counter-Strike , Overwatch, and some other games, matchmaking is sometime a pain in the ass which you dont find on console.

Both have his advantsge and disavantage. I choose to drop PC gaming for simplicity of consoles.

PC gaming is great for steam sale prices, rts, and if your a fan of fps, once you know how to wasd with a mouse, you feel invincible.

But it also came with his random game crash, unknowned framerate drop, strange resolution problems, unknowned problems with controls, need to tweak things up,and unless your playing Dota, Counter-Strike , Overwatch, and some other games, matchmaking is sometime a pain in the ass which you dont find on console.

Both have his advantsge and disavantage. I choose to drop PC gaming for simplicity of consoles.

While those problems may arise let's not exaggerate and make it sound as if in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

HF2014

Nekketsu Kõha;245862838 said:
While those problems may arise let's not exaggerate and make it sound as if in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

Its a war that can continue for generation and generation. People love pc, hate console or vice-versa, and some player simple enjoy both for what they deliver. Over 20 years ago, it was the same thing. I loved tweaking, overclocking, cracking games with trainers, and i drop some generation of console over it. I was a Evercrack, a god at Unreal Tournament loving sniper and loving earring MMM Monster kill, crazy about Half-Life, Kingpin, Blood, Soldiers of Fortune,WoW, seriously, i just couldnt stand the inferior consoles over PC.

But with time and multiple build and thousand and thousand of dollars invest with 500$ cards, memory, cpu, new mobo. I started being less freak about having the absolute resolution, framerate, and choose console over PC. Few month ago, i tried getting in back into it with a New Alienware with 1060. I loved playing Doom with it. But after a few little problems, my patience for tweaking, discoverying whats not working is really not the same when your over 40 years old. End up trading it for something lighter, which i use for general use. I just dont want to deal with any problems, and i dont cry over because im not 60fps at 4k. Its plug, play, enjoy. I might have little patience now, perhaps this is why i choose this. And if i look at the future, im not sure i will go back to mostly pc gaming again. Never say never, but still.

Perhaps a new PC young gamers today will have a better experience when looking at the future, OP just discover it and he is amazed. Probably also with how the machines are build today, its a better experience now for stability compare to what it was 20 years ago. But imo, stability of console are first, even if it doesnt gave me the smooth experience of what PC can bring.

MoogleMan

Guys, I really do not know why it took me this long to finally make the switch but after numerous attempts I think I am in it for the long run.

I have had this PC for the better part of a year, I never really used it as it was in the basement, so it probably had under 20 hrs total for a year and it was used primarily for web browsing.

For my entire life I have been playing on console. It feels like second nature, its simple, controllers are easy and the ecosystem is as simple as it gets. I really just didn't want to be bothered to even learn about gaming on PC. I wanted things SIMPLE and pick up and play. I also game on a 106 projector screen so giving that up is a huge hurdle for me. But this weekend I finally did it, I turned on the computer, ordered up a month of origin access to try some games. and WOW its amazing. I think the main thing that is impressing me is simply the resolution and gaming on a 21x9 monitor. Why have these not taken off? IMO it is the biggest step up I have seen with gaming in ...well ....decades.

How long has it taken for you to switch to PC gaming? from now on all my multi plat will be PC. i will use consoles for exclusives here on out.

Indeed, it took me 28 years to switch over. I built my gaming pc in march of 2015. I already needed a new pc as I was using a dell laptop from 2009, but ori and the blind forest is what drove over the edge to go all out on it. I didn't want to buy an xbox one for a single game.

I still use my consoles for exclusives, but primarily game on PC now. I have a long hdmi cord to my ht receiver and a long usb cord with a usb hub for peripherals for living room gaming. No different than consoles aside from the games running and looking better.

That said, I game at my desk too; I have almost the same monitor (34UM68-P) and love it. Ultrawide is amazing. I'm extremely happy with it as-is, but if I can get a good deal on a 2TB ssd for frequently played games, I'll definitely jump on that. Also, I'm upgrading to a 144hz ultrawide soon. Still a 1080p model as I don't want to upgrade my graphics card for another few years.

Specs:
System Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor OC to 4.7GHZ@1.278v
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB DDR3 1600MHZ
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB
HDD: Western Digital Red Pro 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM x2
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA 850 G2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Case Fans: 5x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 140mm
Mouse: Logitech G Pro
Keyboard: iKBC F108 RGB
Monitors: LG 34UM68-P 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide (primary), Acer KN242HYL 24" 1080P 16:9 (secondary)
Mic Setup: Shure SM57, A2WS Windscreen, , Rode PSA-1 Mic Stand, Shure MVi USB Audio Interface, DBX 286S Preamp/Processor
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm Dac/Amp: Schiit Fulla 2

jeffc919

I played PC games a ton while in college and for some time after. Quake 2, Quake 3, some RTS games, flight combat, you name it. For some reason I got into games on console around the time COD MW2 came out and I've played mostly FPS PvP games on console since then.

I came close to going back to PC when BF3 came out and the console version was so inferior to the PC one (smaller maps, fewer players, 30fps). But being able to play on a big TV with a controller at no competitive disadvantage, and the looming next gen consoles, were enough to make me hold off. Then when the PS4 came out I was mostly happy with it offering something better than the badly outdated PS3/360 consoles. When the PS4 Pro came out, I bought it day 1 for an incremental upgrade so I'd have the best looking and best performing console version of new games.

Then this year the news that Destiny 2 would be 30FPS on console really kind of annoyed me. I wasn't even really sold on buying the game necessarily after being fairly burned out on the original. But here was a major title being supposedly hamstrung by console limitations, or maybe a developer prioritizing graphics over performance, or probably the Pro version being forced to have the same frame rate as the base version. Anyway, I was annoyed. Then I saw some gameplay of Battlegrounds in early access and REALLY wanted to be able to play it. That was enough for me to build a new PC and I've barely touched my PS4 since. I don't really miss playing on the TV. Sitting fairly close to a big monitor is as good or better. And Battlegrounds, even in early access, is a heck of a game and monopolizes most of my playing time. Also double dipped on BF1 to help get reaquainted with keyboard/mouse on a familiar game, and picked up a few other games cheap on cdkeys. But PUBG has been my main game. Anyway, just figured I'd relay my experience since it was sort of similar to the OP.

Fitts

Yeah I'm pretty much finished with console gaming, OP. I fired up my PS4 for the first time since January a few weeks ago and, when my friend popped a game in, was greeted with a lengthy install time. When we could finally start the game, features weren't even available until... it installed some more.

There's no convenience to be found in console gaming anymore, it's a walled garden, and the move to iterative hardware makes it a poor value proposition. (in my opinion) I can't see myself buying another console unless there's an exclusive that I absolutely cannot live without.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'd say the placebo effect of the hardware itself on top of what it does for gaming has you on a high that it's pretty thorough and consistent as long as you keep investing in PC games.

I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am an advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusives. something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but at somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am in advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusive. Something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but as somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never stand against or not recommend somebody to get into PC gaming because it really is a fantastic investment.

the often neglected part because we are gaming forum, is the fact that you're going to build a monster PC and it's going to be able to destroy and Tackle not just gaming but multimedia and other things which will enrich your life so it's pretty awesome to have all that power at your disposal to do pretty much anything you want concurrently. So the whole presentation aspect the graphics on top of the multitasking abilities and pretty much unhinged gaming, multimedia, and anything in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

in general is possible on your shiny new gaming PC.

I'm already amazed by what you can do on smart phones and you imagine the power on a monster rig and what it could do for you and you just grow a custom to that level of performance and refused to have anything less.

EDIT - I just realized that the voice recognition on my phone did something there that it wasn't supposed to. But let the record note that I'm having coffee in the morning and I must go to work so I will own up to whatever Google decided to do with it cryptic voice recognition.

P.S.

FML
I take it back, this is the funniest post in here 😂😂😂😂😂😂

SubjectNineteen

Neo Member

[About 40 repeats of the above line deleted for space]

P.S.

FML

Holy smokes! What happened there!?

That post almost reads like a song. It even has a couple bridges with refrains and a chorus!

Hmm...

------

*Instrumental lead-in*

Part I:

(Verse 1)
I'd say the placebo effect of the hardware itself
on top of what it does for gaming
has you on a high that it's pretty thorough and consistent
as long as you keep investing in PC games.

(Chorus)
in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC. (Repeat, like, 47x)

*Guitar Solo*

(Verse 2)
I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform
but at the same time I still am an advocate for at least one good console
that has most of the same releases and its own exclusives.

(Verse 3)
something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary
but at somebody who has been PC since I was a kid
I can never

(Repeat Chorus)

(Bridge 1: Verse 2 Refrain)
I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform
but at the same time I still am in advocate for at least one good console
that has most of the same releases and its own exclusive.

(Bridge 2: Verse 3 Partial Refrain)
Something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary
but as somebody who has been PC since I was a kid

(Verse 4)
I can never stand against or not recommend
somebody to get into PC gaming because
it really is a fantastic investment.

(Repeat Chorus)

*Monstrous Breakdown*

Part II:

*Guitar Solo 2*

(Verse 5)
the often neglected part because we are gaming forum,
is the fact that you're going to build a monster PC
and it's going to be able to destroy
and Tackle not just gaming but multimedia and other things
which will enrich your life

(Verse 6)
so it's pretty awesome to have all that power at your disposal
to do pretty much anything you want concurrently.
So the whole presentation aspect the graphics
on top of the multitasking abilities
and pretty much unhinged gaming, multimedia,
and anything in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

(Repeat Chorus)

Part III:

*Guitar Solo 3*

(Verse 7)
I'm already amazed by what you can do on smart phones
and you imagine the power on a monster rig
and what it could do for you
and you just grow a custom
to that level of performance
and refused to have anything less.

(Repeat Chorus)

Coda:

(Verse 8)
EDIT - I just realized that the voice recognition on my phone
did something there that it wasn't supposed to.
But let the record note that I'm having coffee in the morning
and I must go to work
so I will own up to whatever Google decided to do
with it cryptic voice recognition.

P.S.

FML

*Instrumental Outro*

*Gong Crash*

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Wow, thats some major FUD there. I havent have such issues on my Chinese new gaming pc

I havent overclock or do anything tweaking. And if you are not fussy with no 4k or 60fps, you wouldnt need to upgrade your pc every couple of years like you claim.

manfestival

Pc gaming rigs are great for many reasons but the best reason of all isn't even the best reason. There is nothing more amazing that getting that premium work desk experience of zipping through everyday tasks. Since you will probably spend more time doing that than overall gaming

Mascot

You always seemed like a PC gamer to me for the times I've seen you post in racing sim threads, was surprised when I found out you weren't.

Ah, I had a decent Vaio laptop for the last three years hooked up to my cockpit that could run AC, Race '07, Live For Speed, GTR etc on low settings but have only had a 'proper' gaming rig for a couple of months.

sfried

Always have been a PC gamer, but not until recently I was able to afford having a PC with higher-end parts. Doesn't mean I quit console gaming, though. Who says you can't have the best of both worlds?

Plus, PC has Word, and I can't live without that. Killer app right there.

All joking aside, I mainly use my PC for the more immersive experiences like VR.

I see a lot of people talking about switching to PC. How exactly does that work? Do you sell all your consoles and no longer play Uncharted, Bloodborne, Zelda, Mario etc.? I mean PC gaming is great and all, but for me personally gaming would be very sad if I could only game on PC. I guess after many years of owning all platforms I simply stopped caring about which piece of plastic I play my games on and now I just care about quality games and enjoy playing them regardless of platform.

I see a lot of people talking about switching to PC. How exactly does that work? Do you sell all your consoles and no longer play Uncharted, Bloodborne, Zelda, Mario etc.? I mean PC gaming is great and all, but for me personally gaming would be very sad if I could only game on PC. I guess after many years of owning all platforms I simply stopped caring about which piece of plastic I play my games on and now I just care about quality games and enjoy playing them regardless of platform.

I play most games on PC, and I play console exclusives on my consoles.

I don't know what's confusing about that.

-Stranger-

I want to get into Pc gaming as well but don't know where to start...
What graphics card would ppl recommend?

Haven't played a pc game since HL2

T-Rex.

Banned
I play exclusives and shooters/multiplayer games on console, everything else on PC.

Durante

Ah, there's your problem. My PC is made entirely of high-grade aluminum and steel :p

Jokes aside, after many years of living (and quite a few of them owning all platforms) I realized that I have absolutely no chance of every finding enough time to game to just play the games released on PC, never mind other platforms. (And it hasn't been getting easier with all the new CRPGs, and tons of JRPGs hitting PC -- these things take a lot of time)

Enjoy your Chinese new gaming PC, OP!
🔥🔥🔥PC DICKHEAD RACE🔥🔥🔥

I really need to upgrade my 980 and add 8GB more RAM. Maybe I'll just make a completely new build next year.

Mascot

I sold my PS Pro last week because after getting a gaming PC there's no way I can accept 30fps any more. Horizon ZD remained in the cellophane for weeks and was given away with the console, unopened. I'd rather take £300 off the price of my PC than keep the console for a few exclusives. Maybe in a few years I'll pick up a Pro again second hand for £80 and blitz through those games, but I think it's unlikely.

I made the mistake of keeping my 360 and PS3 when I bought a PS4 (and briefly, an Xbone). I should have cashed them in at the time, but thought I'd still use them. I didn't. They are now pretty much worthless, sitting there gathering dust and taking up space.

Cc23830

What is the steam link? I have only had my pc a few weeks and seen it on sale multiple times. Is it like that playstation thing?

mikelarry

I switched early last year and PC has become my main console, i got a ps4 for exclusives

Like you I couldn't believe why it took me so long, not having to deal with subscriptions to play online or paying to play my old games and best of all cheaper games.

The only bit I struggle with is mouse and keyboard for FPS which can get frustrating because when using controller I am able to keep up

feel free to add me if you play BF1 and Black ops 3 (mikelarry85)

MoogleMan

What is the steam link? I have only had my pc a few weeks and seen it on sale multiple times. Is it like that playstation thing?

It's a small amazon fire tv sized device that connects to the same network your pc is on via wifi or ethernet. Use ethernet. It streams your pc to your tv (or whatever you have the link connected to). It's convenient, but if you can run a longer hdmi cable, that's the way to go for sure.

I used a steam link without much issue until I moved my pc to my living room. It just became easier to use a long displayport to hdmi cable to connect my pc to my av receiver. A long usb cord with a hub at the end takes care of peripherals.

Skade

Simply put, i don't care for Nintendo games (never played any Nintendo game as a kid and don't see the appeal as an adult) and Sony exclusive are not that numerous nor "vital" for me to play. I have a PS3 with the Uncharted games and The Last of Us but nowadays, it's just for watching Netflix or Blu-Rays/dvds. And i can always watch a playthrough of those exclusives on youtube if i want : i've seen a full playthrough of Uncharted 4 and i don't see why i should play it myself.

And XBox exclusive are no more, it's just Microsoft exclusives now. So PC is covered.

Adding the fact that i really don't like playing with a controller because it give me cramps quickly no matter what i do, and it's not that precise nor reactive (to me at least) : KB / M is the best for me, no matter the game. Might also be because my left thumb got broken when very young and can't bend properly since then.

I honestly feel no need to buy a console as of now. PC was the way to go for me for the past 15 years and will most certainly stay that way.

Freddo

How long has it taken for you to switch to PC gaming?
I started to play PC games 24 years ago. Played computer games before that though, with the Vic20, C64 and Amiga.

Whenever I've bought consoles, I've only bought them for console exclusives. Multiplatform games always been on the computer (with a few exceptions).

It's a small amazon fire tv sized device that connects to the same network your pc is on via wifi or ethernet. Use ethernet. It streams your pc to your tv (or whatever you have the link connected to). It's convenient, but if you can run a longer hdmi cable, that's the way to go for sure.

I used a steam link without much issue until I moved my pc to my living room. It just became easier to use a long displayport to hdmi cable to connect my pc to my av receiver. A long usb cord with a hub at the end takes care of peripherals.

Pretty much this ^^

Hook it up to your TV like a console. Then switch to that HDMI channel on your TV. If your SteamLink and PC are on the same network, you'll see your PC listed there. Once you select it, SteamLink turns on Steam Big Picture mode on your PC and then streams it to your TV. It's very much like a console interface.

So far I've tested it with a wired Xbox 360 controller and a wireless Xbox One S controller. They both work great, but the wireless controller has noticeable input lag from across the room which is unfortunate.

MoogleMan

So far I've tested it with a wired Xbox 360 controller and a wireless Xbox One S controller. They both work great, but the wireless controller has noticeable input lag from across the room which is unfortunate.
Ps4 controller works fine wirelessly. I played through re7 with a ps4 controller wirelessly and there were no drops when sitting at the sofa ~7' away.

Trojan

Congrats OP. I got back into PC gaming last year after a 10 year hiatus and have been super happy. The PC ecosystem allows for so much freedom and tweaking that I forgot I missed with consoles.
That and the RAW POWER

faint.

I'm sure someone has pointed this out already but a 1000w PSU for that build is complete overkill. It's no doubt an excellent PSU as EVGAs G2 line is superb quality, but you could have cut the PSU wattage in half and still be good.

Dragonbinder

Neo Member
Welcome to the family.

The only complaint I have about PC gaming after all my years in it is: I can't get Bulletstorm to run. Everything else is awesome.

You have the Origin version? That one worked absolutely perfect for me (Windows 10 64bit). You tried Googling your issues maybe? It's such a fun game

Ps4 controller works fine wirelessly. I played through re7 with a ps4 controller wirelessly and there were no drops when sitting at the sofa ~7' away.

Weird. I tried a PS4 controller. Worked in Big Picture mode but it stopped working once a game opened. I had to go back to my computer to turn the game off.

The Wireless Xbox controller didn't have this problem. I don't know what went wrong.

Top Bottom